Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Canelo can be on a Mr. Olympia competitor drug regimen and the fight wouldn't be canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well USADA/WADA finds the Chinese/Mexican beef excuse to be valid enough that they allow it as an excuse provided the athlete's clenbuterol levels are below a very very low threshold.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

CommonShore posted:

Well USADA/WADA finds the Chinese/Mexican beef excuse to be valid enough that they allow it as an excuse provided the athlete's clenbuterol levels are below a very very low threshold.

Right but he's been eating mexican meat his whole career and it just happens he gets popped in the run up to a huge fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean it's not impossible

but also the whole tainted meat excuse is a pretty tired one by now.

The peanut gallery reacts:

https://twitter.com/LiamBeefySmith/status/970771023334342657
https://twitter.com/bjsaunders_/status/970775000675430401

In other news, Broner will be fighting Jessie Vargas in a surprisingly decent replacement headliner after Figueroa dropped off the card. It'll be a card that will also have Charlo-Centeno Jr and Davis-Cuellar so that's actually a pretty solid night of boxing there.

A nice touch of boxing fuckery is that the Davis-Cuellar fight will be for the WBA super title... the same on that Machado already has from knocking out Corrales. The rumour is that they're downgrading Machado's belt because boxing is just so blatantly corrupt that they can just do that I guess.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean it's not impossible

but also the whole tainted meat excuse is a pretty tired one by now.

The peanut gallery reacts:

https://twitter.com/LiamBeefySmith/status/970771023334342657
https://twitter.com/bjsaunders_/status/970775000675430401

In other news, Broner will be fighting Jessie Vargas in a surprisingly decent replacement headliner after Figueroa dropped off the card. It'll be a card that will also have Charlo-Centeno Jr and Davis-Cuellar so that's actually a pretty solid night of boxing there.

A nice touch of boxing fuckery is that the Davis-Cuellar fight will be for the WBA super title... the same on that Machado already has from knocking out Corrales. The rumour is that they're downgrading Machado's belt because boxing is just so blatantly corrupt that they can just do that I guess.

Davis-Cuellar probably won't be for anything because no way Tank can even get close to 130 anymore

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pac backed out of the undercard fight against Alvarado (good) and now says he wants to fight in either May or June against Matthysse or Danny Garcia. That would be awesome, but it probably won't happen because Pacquiao has been so incredibly inconsistent recently when it comes to announcing and following through on fights.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Pac backed out of the undercard fight against Alvarado (good) and now says he wants to fight in either May or June against Matthysse or Danny Garcia. That would be awesome, but it probably won't happen because Pacquiao has been so incredibly inconsistent recently when it comes to announcing and following through on fights.

I'll take washed Pac vs washed Matthysse (mostly cause I don't want Danny getting a Pac payday)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol for a second I misread that as Mikey Garcia and I was like “uhhhhh Pac gonna get rekt”

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mikey vs Danny would be fun

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Cool story I heard at a tax symposium. Floyd successfully wrote off the bills he threw at strippers as a ordinary and necessary business expense. And his people left 1099’s for the strippers to add to their income to ensure that lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
A woman signing tax forms while popping that pussy in a handstand and Floyd doesn't know what precisely is arousing him

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Skip My Posts posted:

Cool story I heard at a tax symposium. Floyd successfully wrote off the bills he threw at strippers as a ordinary and necessary business expense. And his people left 1099’s for the strippers to add to their income to ensure that lol

I would guess that was at the strip club that he owns so presumably it was included in the 1099s they were already going to issue.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 7, 2018

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That makes sense

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It’s cool to think about him giving tax forms to every stripper he rains on

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i can't believe i didn't think for a second that he owned the strip club. of course he does.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

A woman signing tax forms while popping that pussy in a handstand and Floyd doesn't know what precisely is arousing him

Lol

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Media in the Phillipines are reporting that Pac wll be coming back against Matthysse in June 24 in Kuala Lumpur but I'd be skeptical that without Top Rank this is going the way of the Amir Khan fight in Dubai that never happened last April.
Big step up from Mile High Mike if it happens though.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/3/8/17096484/manny-pacquiao-vs-lucas-matthysse-reportedly-set-for-june-24th-in-malaysia

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Holy poo poo Indongo just got wiped

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Holy poo poo Indongo just got wiped

I probably should rewatch the Troyanovsky and Burns fights because he has just looked like total basura against Crawford-which is expected-but then pretty bad against Prograis too.

Bunch of big fights at 140 in the coming up (Garcia-Lipinets and Barthelemy-Relikh tomorrow, Jose Ramirez-Amir Imam next week and Terry Flanigan-Maurice Hooker in April) so nice too see that division consolidating rapidly after the belt diaspora when Crawford moved up.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

I probably should rewatch the Troyanovsky and Burns fights because he has just looked like total basura against Crawford-which is expected-but then pretty bad against Prograis too.

Bunch of big fights at 140 in the coming up (Garcia-Lipinets and Barthelemy-Relikh tomorrow, Jose Ramirez-Amir Imam next week and Terry Flanigan-Maurice Hooker in April) so nice too see that division consolidating rapidly after the belt diaspora when Crawford moved up.

He was a somewhat late notice replacement in this fight, I suspect he came in with an injury or something because the dude was just dropping constantly with barely anything connecting.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Barthelemy needs to pick it up

E: lol nice takedown

e: now THAT was a low blow

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 11, 2018

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

garcia sure has a hell of a chin and a hell of a left hook

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Kick his rear end Quigg... Even tho you didnt make weight and hosed up your chances for the belt

It looks epic in the rain

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Oh drat, Quigg busted out some teeth on Valdes. Still lost though, great fight

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

great effort by Lipinets, he was just outclassed by Garcia

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lots of people are giving a lot of credit to Lipinets, and don't get me wrong he looked good, but he had a noticeable size advantage and managed to lose nearly every round, got the worse of each exchange when they went toe to toe and even took a knockdown. He lost very decisively to Garcia, who is admittedly a special fighter.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Despite his latest TKO wins, Sergei Kovalev looks finished to me at the elite level. He's consistently looked gassed early in fights since the Chilemba fight, he looks even slower and more hittable than usual, and he's almost 35 and I'm sure the drinking and smoking did him no favours. He did not sound confident in the post Mikhalkin fight interview either, and seemed to feud with his new trainer during the fight as well.

He loses his next big fight.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
Lomachenko/Linares is set for May 12th :) (at lightweight)

I think Vasyl is going to take his soul, but it's still cool to see him fighting legit championship competition.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Lomachenko/Linares is set for May 12th :) (at lightweight)

I think Vasyl is going to take his soul, but it's still cool to see him fighting legit championship competition.

Lomachenko is moving up a division to immediately fight the best fighter in the division. Very awesome.

I don't think anyone below 147 touches Loma besides maybe Mikey Garcia, who's talking about moving up to 147 already. Hopefully Loma can get a Garcia fight before Mikey moves up yet again, as that's really the only major fight for him out there, besides him getting to execute a washed Manny Pacquiao.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
After the Rigondeaux fight I'm literally never betting against Loma ever again.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lomachenko is rightfully seen as one of the best fighters in the game and Linares isn't really given as much respect as he used to get.

This is by far Lomachenko's toughest fight. Linares is very skilled, probably the second most skilled opponent for Lomachenko after Rigondeaux. Unlike Rigondeaux though, Linares is in his athletic prime and holds a significant size advantage over Lomachenko. He's also fast, Lomachenko might be faster*, but Linares isn't going to get left behind by any means. Linares also has more power than Loma, even before you consider the difference in weight class.

Linares has weaknesses as well though, his paper skin is pretty well documented, and if Loma can cut him up the fight could easily end within the distance. Linares squares up sometimes, which would be be bad against Lomachenko, but I think he mostly does it when he thinks he's getting the better of another fighter.

Style wise it's interesting, Linares is a pretty aggressive fighter who likes to fight pretty close, so his reach advantage might not mean all that much. He isn't quite an infighter though, since he never really uses his physicality or throws his weight around, two things I think would be helpful against Lomachenko. Linares sometimes comes in pretty straight too, but I think he understands angles enough that he's not going to be baffled by Loma.

Look, on paper this should be a tough trial for Lomachenko. That said,

Julio Cruz posted:

After the Rigondeaux fight I'm literally never betting against Loma ever again.

*I only say this because I think I saw some comment from Linares that was like "Lomachenko might be faster than me but I can punch" or something like that, I'm not sure that's true though, Linares could well be faster than Lomachenko

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 17, 2018

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Even in hindsight i'll still say that Rigo was Lomachenko's biggest test but I would consider Linares a greater threat to beat Loma (even if I wouldn't pick either unless getting crazy odds) because he has the handspeed to, on his absolute best night, put the kind of showing together that would actually make judges comfortable giving him a decision victory. That being said he's looked less than stellar even against the Anthony Crolla/Mercito Gesta tier that I think Loma will neutralize him early and cut him up within 9. FWIW, I also think if he were to fight Garcia he gets knocked out after not too long because Mikey's is just too fundamentally strong and Linares-despite being crazy athletically gifted-is just not technically sound enough to be elite imo.

EDIT: All lol that mmm whatchya say (and Yuri Foreman's) boy Arthur Mercante Jr. is doing the Gvozdyk fight that's on ESPN now. Suck it up champ

VVV: Also this. Linares has been around for a real long time. The Antonio DeMarco and Yeyo Thompson losses were in 2011 and 12. Though in his credit he hasn't lost since then.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 18, 2018

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Good timing from Lomachenko I think; Linares' long career is starting to show recently

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
this interview with arum and king is kinda sweet if you can ignore how wretched these men are

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Gay Horney posted:

this interview with arum and king is kinda sweet if you can ignore how wretched these men are

Really digging this remake of Grumpy Old Men, Corrupt and Senile Old Men.

https://twitter.com/BobArum/status/974000415535718405

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
For being a Top Rank guy for so long Tim Bradley is really having trouble giving Jose Ramirez credit. It's pretty nip/tuck with a less than elite pressure fighter (Ramirez) against a less than elite boxer (Amir Imam). It's no surprise that neither hasn't been able to establish their will but I don't really the see the blowout at all.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Ramirez made a fan out of me. I usually only watch boxing when guys like Crawford or Loma or whatever are fighting and he's every bit as exciting as they are.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Good lord conlan

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Little twitter spat going on right now between Lennox Lewis and Showtime between whether or not the last undisputed heavyweight champion was Mike Tyson in 1987 or him in 1999. The whole crux of Showtime's argument was that the WBO was considered a major sanctioning body in the late 90s. Didn't follow boxing then but from what I see, the #boxingscribes I trust say it wasn't. I don't know if it's just someone unwilling to admit a researcher got something wrong or a promotional tagline for AJ-Parker that's taken on a life of its own.

https://twitter.com/LennoxLewis/status/976126105865408512

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/976204605016158208

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Lennox Lewis is correct, the WBO was a fringe belt, ala the IBO today, during the 1990s. It was only first held by a heavyweight in 1989 (by some Italian nobody), and then was held by the likes of Tommy Morrison, Michael Bentt, Herbie Hide, and Henry Akinwande during the 90s; fringe contenders all. It was only legitimized because Wladimir held it throughout the 2000s - after Lewis unified with Holyfield in '99.

Isn't Mauro Ranallo more of a WWE and MMA guy? What does he know about boxing?