Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Lawnie posted:

Can we get a mod challenge in this forum: gitmo moneyson can only post pics of 5 different grilled or smoked meats in his next 5 posts, must include at least 1 pork butt
This thread is for smoking, not grilling. 5 posts with smoked meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

I wanted to give him leeway but you’re right, it’s right there in the title.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/d75jza/why-is-brooklyn-barbecue-taking-over-the-world?utm_source=munchiestwitterus

Guys, watch out, Brooklyn is breaking its way into the bbq scene

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sounds like it’s basically hipster barbecue. Great.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 6, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anne Whateley posted:

If I have to do this, then does it have to be smoked meat, or can it be smoked stuff in general? Cuz I really wanna try cold-smoking some cheese and butter at some point, and I’ve got this smoked jalapeño popper recipe that’s the bomb.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

purchases $2000 of grill and equipment

cooks a burger

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

If I have to do this, then does it have to be smoked meat, or can it be smoked stuff in general? Cuz I really wanna try cold-smoking some cheese and butter at some point, and I’ve got this smoked jalapeño popper recipe that’s the bomb.

Uh do you have a cold smoke generator? Actually nevermind just make cold smoked butter and cheese in your bge and post the results

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

purchases $2000 of grill and equipment

cooks a burger

I’M GONNA DO OTHER STUFF ON IT TOO, drat. We’ve only had it like two weeks, be patient.

Why does everyone assume I’m gonna gently caress this up somehow? I’ve grilled and smoked stuff before.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Because you've completely ignored everything anyone has posted in response to you and you've repeatedly shown how completely idiotic you can be.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Whooping Crabs posted:

Uh do you have a cold smoke generator? Actually nevermind just make cold smoked butter and cheese in your bge and post the results

You can cold smoke stuff on an Egg.

https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/bourbon-glazed-cold-smoked-salmon/

I was thinking about getting one of those A-Maze-In things to make it a little easier, but you don’t really need one. Just a small mound of charcoal and some wood.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
This thread kicks rear end

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You better smoke something soon motherfucker

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Why does everyone assume I’m gonna gently caress this up somehow? I’ve grilled and smoked stuff before.
try seasoning your grate, can't wait to see how you gently caress up cast iron

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sure, that’s fine, whatever, just smoke it

I’ll also accept 5 pictures of you getting blazed as hell, using marijuana. Bonus if you throw it in the egg and see what happens.

F
Nov 6, 2005

You can cold smoke stuff on an Egg.

https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/bourbon-glazed-cold-smoked-salmon/

I was thinking about getting one of those A-Maze-In things to make it a little easier, but you don’t really need one. Just a small mound of charcoal and some wood.

You were thinking about getting one, or you were thinking of making your old man get one? At this point I'm not sure who's more stupid.

Forget the fancy bits and pieces until you get your basics dialed in.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You obviously aren't reading the same posts the rest of us are. Read the manual of the thing you(r dad) bought and break it in how it says and stop posting dumb poo poo in this thread until you're posting meats. Start with something simple like a pork butt and go from there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

veiled boner fuel posted:

Yeah I’m just doing it like any other brisket. But nobody ever says to put a regular brisket in a foil pan with water so I thought maybe there was some secret corned beef thing to make it extra corned beefy or something.

Was tasty but ended up dry :saddowns: Which is a problem I've generally been able to avoid with regular brisket.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That's exactly how my flat corned beef turned out when attempting pastrami. I used a premade corned beef from the store.

If you poke around on the interwebz you'll find that steaming it afterwards or tossing it in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes seems to give better results. I'm going to give that a shot next time.

And speaking of corned beef, going to buy a couple flats and cure them for St Patty's day.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ugh, FINE I’ll worry about seasoning the grate later. It’s gonna be a little bit before I get to do any smoking on this thing, but I am gonna grill some burgers on it tonight and maybe tomorrow, followed by steaks at some point in the next few days or so.

Congrats on your top end steak and hamburger maker. Pics of the hotdogs when you venture that far.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Was tasty but ended up dry :saddowns: Which is a problem I've generally been able to avoid with regular brisket.

Well huh that sucks. What were your smoke times? I wonder if them being soaked for so long (and injected?) causes them to be in perpetual slow/stall the entire smoke.

I picked one up yesterday and will attempt it this week. Maybe I'll smoke it at really low temp for a couple hours, like at 125F temp smoke (regardless of final internal temp) and then wrap it and crank to 225.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don’t know why I expected you to read my “next 5 posts are pictures of smoked things” and follow it given your trajectory in this thread, but here we are. Yes cold smoking counts. Please post in detail the results of you trying to keep that smoke going. Especially with butter.

But seriously why haven’t you smoked anything? Smoke a rack of ribs or something. A small 3lb shoulder. Anything.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Hamburgers were one of the first things I made on my egg. It's great at all things, and they came out delicious. Jesus christ this thread.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Literally the only reason I haven’t smoked anything on this Egg yet is because I’m not in charge of the menu at my house. That’s my parents’ jurisdiction. I’m itching to smoke something RIGHT NOW, but I’m waiting on them to buy something I can smoke.

Apparently this is my life right now. It sucks and I hate it.

I’m getting pretty impatient though, so I might just run to the store and pick up a pork butt or something with my own money some time in the next few days. Only problem is I don’t have much money, and I have to be careful with what I do have.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

If you literally both: lack the agency to cook for yourself and cannot afford a pork butt you have bigger problems that should probably be more concerning than breaking your dads overpriced grill or posting in this thread

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Considering how far you can stretch a big pork shoulder, it is money well spent. Especially when you have a more efficient smoker than I do (WSM). Not only will you have pork to snack on, your dad will make a change to the dinner schedule to incorporate more smoked meat, since you haven't even shown pictures of the burgers and steaks you were going to cook. Go spend $10 of your own dollars, mow the lawn for some coals, and smoke a butt. You'll be the coolest 12 year old on the block!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Literally the only reason I haven’t smoked anything on this Egg yet is because I’m not in charge of the menu at my house. That’s my parents’ jurisdiction. I’m itching to smoke something RIGHT NOW, but I’m waiting on them to buy something I can smoke.

I’m getting pretty impatient though, so I might just run to the store and pick up a pork butt or something with my own money some time in the next few days. Only problem is I don’t have much money, and I have to be careful with what I do have.

Heyyyyy, I am sensing you are not really a doctor. :colbert:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

Well huh that sucks. What were your smoke times? I wonder if them being soaked for so long (and injected?) causes them to be in perpetual slow/stall the entire smoke.

I picked one up yesterday and will attempt it this week. Maybe I'll smoke it at really low temp for a couple hours, like at 125F temp smoke (regardless of final internal temp) and then wrap it and crank to 225.

It was about 11 hours at an indicated 250 with the caveat that the probe/temp controller makes 250 seem more like 225. I.e. doing stuff at an indicated 225 with the new setup seemed like it took way too long so I think it's reading at least 15 degrees high compared to the other probes I've used.

This was a ~7 pound packer.

I found some people saying just smoke it like any other brisket but it seems like there were a lot more recipes involving wrapping (like I don't think I've ever seen 80% of regular brisket recipes talk about wrapping) and some recipes involving foil pans so there must be more to it.

Also found one recipe saying "Once you realize it's just a brisket, cook it just like a brisket" and then saying that it's done at 175.

Amazingribs (which I don't think I'd run into during my minimal research, though I shoulda checked them) says to smoke it until it stalls and then steam it (they talk about doing it on a gas burner but don't see why you wouldn't just shove it back in the smoker) in a covered pan to 203.

e: I guess just because at 225 it'd take a long time to get a lot of steam going.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 7, 2018

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

How old are you? You sound like a 14 year old but your reg date makes that unlikely.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

It was about 11 hours at an indicated 250 with the caveat that the probe/temp controller makes 250 seem more like 225. I.e. doing stuff at an indicated 225 with the new setup seemed like it took way too long so I think it's reading at least 15 degrees high compared to the other probes I've used.

This was a ~7 pound packer.

I found some people saying just smoke it like any other brisket but it seems like there were a lot more recipes involving wrapping (like I don't think I've ever seen 80% of regular brisket recipes talk about wrapping) and some recipes involving foil pans so there must be more to it.

Also found one recipe saying "Once you realize it's just a brisket, cook it just like a brisket" and then saying that it's done at 175.

Amazingribs (which I don't think I'd run into during my minimal research, though I shoulda checked them) says to smoke it until it stalls and then steam it (they talk about doing it on a gas burner but don't see why you wouldn't just shove it back in the smoker) in a covered pan to 203.

If steaming for a large part of the time, maybe I'd just do like I was thinking and smoke low for the flavor and then seal for the rest of the time and not wait for the stall. Not like bark will be all that awesome after steaming after all.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

El Jebus posted:

since you haven't even shown pictures of the burgers and steaks you were going to cook.

I thought you guys said you didn’t want pics of grilled poo poo because this was a smoking thread. I just grilled the last of the burgers tonight.

I’m gonna smoke the pork loin tomorrow. I’ll be using a method similar to this, except we’ll be using hickory wood instead of cherry and homemade barbecue sauce.

I haven’t smoked on a charcoal grill in several years, so remind me again whether or not I’m supposed to soak the wood first? The books I’ve read say to soak it, but I’ve read in this thread that soaking the wood is stupid.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Smoking a loin is doable, but it's at least as finicky as brisket and is going to be a challenging first cook. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but make sure to manage expectations and let the powers that be know that it's a bit tricky and may come out not showing the whole smoking meat malarky to its best advantage.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I probably wouldn't smoke a pork loin for the reason Stringent cited.

Why not just bake it. That's one of the things about an Egg (and other similar cookers obviously) is that it'll do any temperature between ambient and "melt aluminum." Pick out an oven recipe that says to do it at 350 or 400 or whatever and use that, but do it on the egg and with some wood chunks amongst the charcoal for some smoke.

Don't soak and don't use chips, use chunks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

EngineerJoe posted:

How old are you? You sound like a 14 year old but your reg date makes that unlikely.

You don't have any kids? I regged all six of mine the day they were born. The family rule is they have to keep the stupid newbie av until they're either 16 or they piss someone off enough that they buy one for them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

You don't have any kids? I regged all six of mine the day they were born. The family rule is they have to keep the stupid newbie av until they're either 16 or they piss someone off enough that they buy one for them.

Reported to mods and CPS for child abuse.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Post the meats, Gitmo.

We want the meats. This is a thread for slow smoked meats. Give us the meats.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

I haven’t smoked on a charcoal grill in several years, so remind me again whether or not I’m supposed to soak the wood first? The books I’ve read say to soak it, but I’ve read in this thread that soaking the wood is stupid.

Use chunks, not chips. If you MUST use chips, soak them first then make a pouch out of aluminum foil and stick a few holes in it. You won't get smoke for hours but you'll get some.

Weber actually sells bags of chunks. They're not a bad value if you get them on sale.

For grills, my propane is on it's last legs. I'd like a nice Weber propane grill but gently caress spending $700+ on a grill, which is what they cost in Canada. I'm thinking of trying out a Weber Master-Touch grill. It would be a nice compliment to my WSM and I already have the charcoal and chimney.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 7, 2018

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
No, do NOT soak your chips. That just gets them soggy and does not give a good burn.

The fact is, you want a clear smoke, not a dark smoke. The blueish, hard to see smoke is the best smoke you can hope for, since that indicates a clean oxidation, while grey or black smoke indicates incomplete oxidation and bad chemicals being left on the meat.

Soaking your wood does not do anything other than make the wood smolder rather than burn completely. You will end up with more junk on the meat that way.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's exactly how my flat corned beef turned out when attempting pastrami. I used a premade corned beef from the store.

If you poke around on the interwebz you'll find that steaming it afterwards or tossing it in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes seems to give better results. I'm going to give that a shot next time.

And speaking of corned beef, going to buy a couple flats and cure them for St Patty's day.

Read up here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

I did this with the flat from a Costco packer and was very happy with the results. Didn't use any of the optional ingredients my first time. I've still never smoked a brisket from start to finish. I'm usually cooking for two so I've been splitting the packer into 2 flat-only chunks for corned beef and 2 flat/point chunks for sous-vide & smoker finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’ve got the loin on the grill. The pit is still coming up to temp, but I knew opening the grill would let in a lot of oxygen.

There’s a lot of smoke, but it’s all white. I don’t know why or what to do about that.

Pics when it’s done.