Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

kedo posted:

Do coffee shops tell you the exact mg dosage of caffeine you’re getting per brewed oz of coffee where you live? Coffee is served in cups that are measured in ounces, so I imagine that’s why all of us are using it.

Strong vs weak coffee depends on a LOT of factors and is more a measure of flavor than caffeination in my experience. Unless you travel around with your own caffeine testing chemistry set I doubt there’s an easier shorthand measure for coffee/caffeine quantity.

e: Also it's pretty common in the US for things to be labelled as having "about as much caffeine as X cups of coffee," a cup being a weird measurement that's slightly less than an actual cup (150ml vs. 250ml). No one actually drinks a "cup of coffee" here anymore, in chain coffee shops pretty much everything is sold by the brewed ounce.

Yes? I ask how many shots of espresso go into my coffee, and I know roughly how much caffeine is in a shot. So a large coffee from Costa has 3 or 4 shots of espresso, I forget. I typically make drinks with 2 shots of espresso in them at home. Knowing how many ounces of coffee I drink makes zero sense, because it's entirely dependent on how much coffee is in it.

It'd be like English people saying "drat, I drank 1 and a half litres of coffee the other day", but it could have been piss coffee or really strong coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

^^ yeah that's why I asked about if varying the amount of water matters, and if so how

Even reducing caffeine a bit gives me bad headaches. I'm trying to reduce it overall since it messes with my anxiety issues, but it's been insanely difficult.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

Yes? I ask how many shots of espresso go into my coffee, and I know roughly how much caffeine is in a shot. So a large coffee from Costa has 3 or 4 shots of espresso, I forget. I typically make drinks with 2 shots of espresso in them at home. Knowing how many ounces of coffee I drink makes zero sense, because it's entirely dependent on how much coffee is in it.

How do you know how much caffeine is in a shot of espresso though?

Edit: wait, are you talking about coffee drinks, not just like a big old paper cup of drip coffee?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think a shot (at Caribou at least) is 120 mg

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Q8ee posted:

Yes? I ask how many shots of espresso go into my coffee, and I know roughly how much caffeine is in a shot.

I hear what you're saying, but even a "shot" isn't a precise measure of caffeine. Just so I could be an rear end in a top hat-know-it-all, I texted a barista friend who geeks out about this stuff and asked. Here's his reply:

quote:

A shot is like maybe 20 MG to 100 MG of caffeine. Depends on the bean and roast and machine and guy pulling it and how hard he packed it.

That's a pretty big range, especially if you're doing four shots at a time multiple times per day. I suppose if you have a machine that takes pods that specify exactly the amount of caffeine per pod, then maybe you're getting a specific amount of caffeine, but my point is none of these measures are all that precise because caffeine isn't a drug where precision is absolutely vital unless you're a heart patient or something, in which case you should probably be precise with the zero amount of caffeine you're ingesting.

I have learned much about coffee and caffeine today.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

In my ~*~ barista training ~*~ I was told that caffeine was destroyed by heat, so darker roasts were actually less caffeinated, while the lightest roasts were more caffeinated.

Someone should make the equivalent of a pH test strip but for caffeine concentration. Doubt it'd work so well, but would be neat if it was possible

Qubee
May 31, 2013

kedo posted:

I hear what you're saying, but even a "shot" isn't a precise measure of caffeine. Just so I could be an rear end in a top hat-know-it-all, I texted a barista friend who geeks out about this stuff and asked. Here's his reply:

That's a pretty big range, especially if you're doing four shots at a time multiple times per day. I suppose if you have a machine that takes pods that specify exactly the amount of caffeine per pod, then maybe you're getting a specific amount of caffeine, but my point is none of these measures are all that precise because caffeine isn't a drug where precision is absolutely vital unless you're a heart patient or something, in which case you should probably be precise with the zero amount of caffeine you're ingesting.

I have learned much about coffee and caffeine today.

That's actually pretty interesting, I wish I had a barista friend. I learned something new today. Explains why some days I get coffee, it doesn't give me the same caffeine buzz as other days, and now I'm annoyed that this is even a thing. I bought coffee the other day with an extra shot and it barely perked me up. As for knowing how much caffeine is in a shot, I just base it off of the big coffee chains and what they advertise on their menus, it usually shows you the caffeine content / fat content / sugar content etc.

actionjackson posted:

^^ yeah that's why I asked about if varying the amount of water matters, and if so how

Even reducing caffeine a bit gives me bad headaches. I'm trying to reduce it overall since it messes with my anxiety issues, but it's been insanely difficult.

Best of luck quitting, dude. I feel you. If it's any consolation, it used to mess with my anxiety really badly, but then it stopped doing so. Though I've noticed a weird sort of cyclical pattern where it waxes and wanes: I'll be fine drinking coffee for weeks / months, then all of a sudden it makes me an anxious mess whenever I drink it, then it'll go back to being normal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jyrraeth posted:

In my ~*~ barista training ~*~ I was told that caffeine was destroyed by heat, so darker roasts were actually less caffeinated, while the lightest roasts were more caffeinated.

Someone should make the equivalent of a pH test strip but for caffeine concentration. Doubt it'd work so well, but would be neat if it was possible

Arabica is definitely less caffeinated than robusta for sure, though robusta is pretty uncommon in the US at least

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to use amino without a phone?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a way to use amino without a phone?

Have you looked in to emulating an Android on your PC? I haven't done it for about 5 years but it worked great back then. This is a recent article talking about emulators.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'd ask this in the gardening thread we have in DIY but that seems more based on veggie/fruit growing:

We've decided to green up the joint by going some plants (specifically from a few of those grow-your-own-cactus-and-succulent kits because neither of us know this poo poo) and I'm a little lost/confused/worried that I'm gonna kill these things, and so I've got a few questions:

- Everything says to seal up the potted seeds to ensure consistent soil moisture, but I've also read that succulents/cacti grow best if you let them dry out often. Is the drying-out phase more for when the things have grown and actual plants exist?

- Related to the above, I know from my early science classes that plants breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out oxygen. Wouldn't sealing them in be not-so-good on the whole respiration thing? Or again, is that when I've got a bunch of actual plants and not seeds in dirt? If one plant is exant and the rest of the ones haven't germinated, is it going to asphixiate while the rest are growing?

- What the hell is indirect light, outside of not having the sun straight on the things? Like, we don't have a lot of windowsill space; is "the light from the kitchen light, but like four feet away on a nearby table actually indirect?

I know, stupid questions, but we're not really growers here and man, I don't want these plants to die.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

- What the hell is indirect light, outside of not having the sun straight on the things? Like, we don't have a lot of windowsill space; is "the light from the kitchen light, but like four feet away on a nearby table actually indirect?
If you've got a window in the room and you can see a patch of sunlight coming through it, that area is direct sunlight and everywhere else in the room is indirect, because it's lit by the sun but the sun isn't shining straight on it. Basically, indirect sunlight is in the shade but not in the dark.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MisterBibs posted:

I'd ask this in the gardening thread we have in DIY but that seems more based on veggie/fruit growing:

We've decided to green up the joint by going some plants (specifically from a few of those grow-your-own-cactus-and-succulent kits because neither of us know this poo poo) and I'm a little lost/confused/worried that I'm gonna kill these things, and so I've got a few questions:

- Everything says to seal up the potted seeds to ensure consistent soil moisture, but I've also read that succulents/cacti grow best if you let them dry out often. Is the drying-out phase more for when the things have grown and actual plants exist?

- Related to the above, I know from my early science classes that plants breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out oxygen. Wouldn't sealing them in be not-so-good on the whole respiration thing? Or again, is that when I've got a bunch of actual plants and not seeds in dirt? If one plant is exant and the rest of the ones haven't germinated, is it going to asphixiate while the rest are growing?

I know, stupid questions, but we're not really growers here and man, I don't want these plants to die.

Unless you get some very finicky plants, or you just don't ever water them, most plants are pretty hard to kill. Also don't worry about killing a few. Just ask the Vegan\Vegetarians, they don't have feelings anyways.

Get yourself some herbs, grow them and then you have green plants that also make your cooking a lot better. There are plenty you can grow on your windowsill and just clip off a little when you need it. Some you need to do more to maintain than others but if you screw them up you can usually get a replacement from a greenhouse\garden store for a $1 or so.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Two days ago I heard a song and distinctly remember thinking that I like that song and that I haven't heard it in awhile.

Rather than pulling over and adding it to Google play immediately, I resolved to add it at home.

I can't remember anything about it except it has male vocals, it's kind of nerdy, I think, and it was written bat some time between the 70s and the 90s.

Anyone know a site where I can go through a bunch of songs? I don't know that it was ever a top of the charts.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83JR2IoI8k

?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm currently going through some paranoia. I just received a package from Walmart that I have never ordered. The package contains some cheap $1 clipboard. The package has my full name and address, and I recently moved to my current address. I've checked my cards for any charges and there is none, why would I get this package? Did someone manage to get my info and ordered a cheap clipboard to verify the information?

This package has no receipts, no invoice in it, it has an order number on the shipping label that I cannot look up because Walmart requires the email of the account used to buy that item.

And to top it all off, today I was supposed to receive something from Amazon but that never arrived, despite the tracking showing that it did. And I got this mystery package instead.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If Charles Bronson starts calling you talking about woods, promises and miles to go before you sleep, you might be a Russian sleeper agent.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Leal posted:

Did someone manage to get my info and ordered a cheap clipboard to verify the information?

Yes, but it's probably not targeted at you specifically. It's a scam called "brushing", they send you something tiny that gets verified as delivered, and then they use the account that they set up with your details on it to legitimise their online store so other people buy things from it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadesh...t/#12cb35d173da

I don't know how you do it with Walmart online shopping, maybe it's a new thing.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Memento posted:

Yes, but it's probably not targeted at you specifically. It's a scam called "brushing", they send you something tiny that gets verified as delivered, and then they use the account that they set up with your details on it to legitimise their online store so other people buy things from it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadesh...t/#12cb35d173da

I don't know how you do it with Walmart online shopping, maybe it's a new thing.

can you copy and paste, please? paywall....

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ladron posted:

can you copy and paste, please? paywall....

Really? That's weird, I guess they don't bother paywalling in Australia. Pasted here: https://pastebin.com/bQwpD46u

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Memento posted:

Really? That's weird, I guess they don't bother paywalling in Australia. Pasted here: https://pastebin.com/bQwpD46u

thank you. interesting.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

For some reason that song is forbidden on YouTube in the USA. It's not that one, but thanks. :science:

Actually that plays on the radio more than I'd expect. Same for One Night in Bangkok.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I want to buy tree resin, that kind that solidifies into amber, for crafts.

I didn't manage to have Google tell me the answer, who sells that?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Dawncloack posted:

I want to buy tree resin, that kind that solidifies into amber, for crafts.

I didn't manage to have Google tell me the answer, who sells that?

you can get it free from trees

something like this?
https://shop.resinobsession.com/products/castin-craft-transparent-liquid-resin-dye

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

THIS!!

THanks a million satoshis.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

How annoying is it for people in healthcare-related fields to hear variations on “hopefully not any time soon!” in response to “see you!”?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Belated plant reply.

MisterBibs posted:

There's another plant thread in DIY that's more about plants in general than veggie/fruit gardening and it's a great place to ask questions. There are several people with amazing succulent collections in there.

MisterBibs posted:

Succulents need a good amount of water to get going, and moist soil is easier for them to push through than dry soil. Keep it moist until you have a rosette or a few true leaves and then taper off dramatically (or look up directions for your specific species for more precise advice). Once they're adults your watering schedule is "basically never, except once in a blue moon when I'm afraid I'm killing my plant." If you water them too much when they're adults they'll grow huge stalks (depending on the species) to store the extra water and will look dumb.

MisterBibs posted:

When they're seedlings they're producing and using so little of either gas that it doesn't matter. By covering them you trap moisture and heat and create an optimal growing environment, basically a miniature greenhouse. Opening and closing the thing to water it every once in awhile will provide more fresh air than they'd ever need. By the time they'd be using enough CO2 that you'd harm them by covering them, they'll probably be big enough that you'll have a hard time finding something big enough to cover them.

MisterBibs posted:

Ask in the thread, but most succulents and cacti will prefer full sun. Many succulents will only get their bright colors if exposed to 6+ hours per day. However it's common for lots of plants to be sown in indirect light and then slowly weened into full sun as they get older. This mimics how they grow in the wild. For reference, if you're more than four feet from a window with direct sun (ie. uninterrupted sun going through it and into your room, not bounced sun from another building or whatever), you're in full shade conditions. Bounced light loses its energy quickly in a room. Indirect sunlight means as close as you can get to the sunlight without being actually in it. So if sun streams into your eastern windows early in the morning, put the seedlings just outside of where it shines and you'll be perfect.

If you don't have well placed windows and only have shade, consider getting some shade plants instead. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to grow plants that require conditions you just can't meet. Pothos will grow in the worst of conditions, are great air purifiers and need little light. You can literally pirate them from friends and family by snipping off a few inches of stem from one of their plants and sticking it in a cup of water for a few weeks. It'll grow new roots and bingo, now you have a clone of the original plant.

e: For fun, a couple of my succulents. This one was a gift and is my wife's, and so she watered it waaaaaay too much out of fear of killing it. Now it looks dumb as hell, but I'm under strict orders not to do anything with it, so :shrug: It's in nearly full sun, so you can see some nice pink coloration along the edges of the leaves.

Baby succulents, rooted from leaves I pulled off a friend's succulent when he wasn't looking. You can literally just stick a succulent leaf in some dirt, cut side down, and a few months later you'll have a new plant. At this point I'm watering them maybe once a month, but they're still growing like monsters since they're in a closed glass cabinet with a bunch of other plants that need frequent watering, so it's pretty humid in there. They only get about 2 hours of direct sun per day, so they don't have any coloration.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 7, 2018

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I volunteer for an organization where a 100 members serve 5 locations. The organization uses 5 gmail accounts for these locations and shares the passwords with all members. When you want to make a schedule such as "I'll work at location 3 this Friday 7-8 PM" you log in to that gmail account and put yourself into its calendar.

The problems of course arise with so much account sharing. Accounts get locked, gmail asks for verification, new passwords have to be distributed, etc. What other organizers could we use instead? We need something simple and free.

Beachcomber posted:

Two days ago I heard a song and distinctly remember thinking that I like that song and that I haven't heard it in awhile.

Rather than pulling over and adding it to Google play immediately, I resolved to add it at home.

I can't remember anything about it except it has male vocals, it's kind of nerdy, I think, and it was written bat some time between the 70s and the 90s.

Anyone know a site where I can go through a bunch of songs? I don't know that it was ever a top of the charts.

There's a thread for this in NMD.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112&pagenumber=269#lastpost

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Everyone has their own gmail, shared google calendar? That way as well you can lock people out as needed, you only need to have one admin but you can have as many as you like etc. I use one for volunteering and it works great.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

I volunteer for an organization where a 100 members serve 5 locations. The organization uses 5 gmail accounts for these locations and shares the passwords with all members. When you want to make a schedule such as "I'll work at location 3 this Friday 7-8 PM" you log in to that gmail account and put yourself into its calendar.

The problems of course arise with so much account sharing. Accounts get locked, gmail asks for verification, new passwords have to be distributed, etc. What other organizers could we use instead? We need something simple and free.

You could cludge something together with freedcamp, maybe. It's free but simplicity is a bit lacking.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Memento posted:

Everyone has their own gmail, shared google calendar? That way as well you can lock people out as needed, you only need to have one admin but you can have as many as you like etc. I use one for volunteering and it works great.

This works pretty well at my one job for staff scheduling and events, although there's only about 20 of us. I imagine the calendar could get pretty cluttered if your admin doesn't keep on top of permissions and stuff.

We also use planday for our volunteers and staff (around 200 in all) and it works great, very simple. That's a paid solution though.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Google Apps for Work is free if you are a registered Not-For-Profit as well. Good poo poo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have music up on a Bandcamp page and one of their features is you can see the referrer links people are coming from, which is usually my website or from other websites/blogs talking about the music. however I have recently been getting a bunch of links from completely unrelated articles, mostly on small local news sites, like this one about some airline financial stuff: https://www.indystar.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/03/01/pilots-ratify-contract-spirit-airlines/384283002/

there's nothing at all on that page linking to my bandcamp, and the same is true for the other similar links, so what is up with that?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Memento posted:

Could we then get rid of separate accounts for each location? Or would we still need them but only admins would need to log into them?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I have a series of stupid US taxes/video games question.

1. If someone made money performing a service in an online game (killing a boss for another player for $100, selling content in second life, etc.), should they claim that income on their taxes? I know that people who make their living producing content on youtube or twitch have to claim the money they make as income, and theoretically they are making that money on someone else's digital platform, but would it matter if the platform is an online game?

2. If they were somehow able to make enough money through that to count as their sole source of income, would they be able to claim any subscriptions for that game as a business expense? After all, paying the subscription fee would be the only way for them to access their clientele. If so, would they also be able to claim any optional online cosmetic purchases as a business expense?

3. What if they bought some in-game currency, which would violate the game's Terms of Service, but the dirty digital money was necessary to perform the service they get their income from. Should that count as a business expense, despite it breaking their platform's ToS?

Basically, what I want to know is what is the stupidest possible way someone can use video games to save money on their taxes while still technically following the law.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Doctor Malaver posted:

Could we then get rid of separate accounts for each location? Or would we still need them but only admins would need to log into them?

You could get rid of the location accounts, yeah. You can group people by location, so that you can (for example) have a different colour by location, to make it easier to see on the calendar. You could even have one calendar per location, with one admin for each, to separate things further - depending on how much flux you have between locations for your volunteers this might not be suitable.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Tenik posted:

I have a series of stupid US taxes/video games question.

1. If someone made money performing a service in an online game (killing a boss for another player for $100, selling content in second life, etc.), should they claim that income on their taxes? I know that people who make their living producing content on youtube or twitch have to claim the money they make as income, and theoretically they are making that money on someone else's digital platform, but would it matter if the platform is an online game?

2. If they were somehow able to make enough money through that to count as their sole source of income, would they be able to claim any subscriptions for that game as a business expense? After all, paying the subscription fee would be the only way for them to access their clientele. If so, would they also be able to claim any optional online cosmetic purchases as a business expense?

3. What if they bought some in-game currency, which would violate the game's Terms of Service, but the dirty digital money was necessary to perform the service they get their income from. Should that count as a business expense, despite it breaking their platform's ToS?

Basically, what I want to know is what is the stupidest possible way someone can use video games to save money on their taxes while still technically following the law.

1 if you make money, the government wants a piece. If you generate income (above a certain threshold), you have to pay tax on it.
2 If you have to spend money to do your job, you can deduct that. Doctors and nurses can deduct magazine subscriptions, and cops can deduct guns, uniform cleaning,etc.
3 the law does not protect you from illegal activities, so it depends if violating the tos was illegal or not. I'm guessing "they could probably make it seem that way".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fruits of the sea posted:

This works pretty well at my one job for staff scheduling and events, although there's only about 20 of us. I imagine the calendar could get pretty cluttered if your admin doesn't keep on top of permissions and stuff.
It couldn't possibly be worse than 100 people all trying to share five accounts.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Could we then get rid of separate accounts for each location?
Yes. You'd even be able to view all five calendars on one screen - or just the particular calendar(s) you wanted to look at at any given time. But pretty much any option would be better than the one you're apparently going with right now, because the way you're doing it is insane.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

actionjackson posted:

Every couple years I go cold turkey for six months. The first week is loving hell.

Of course a couple months later I'm back on the coffee, and by the end of the year I'm back up to five or six cups a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I never ever drink coffee, and I've only met one other person who doesn't either. I've tried it, but that last time was like 20 years ago and I almost poo poo my pants and died on the streets of amsterdam, so I don't think I'll be trying it again

welp, that's my story, have a blessed day~~