Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/ghostwhovotes/status/970624039596179456?s=21

hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Its sure going to be something if or when Luke Foley becomes premier.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Who?

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Ol' Luke "greyhounds must be tortured" Foley

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Last year, Ipsos conducted for Fairfax focus groups in Sydney and Melbourne, and some of the descriptions of the Opposition leader included “a snake”, “he stabs people in the back”, “sorry but I can’t stand him”, and the kicker: “inauthentic”.

Snake for PM

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Starshark posted:

Do you have a link for this? I'm trying to get my wife to stop buying d'amour ("I only buy their shoes!").

Sorry busy day but my friend was a model for them for a while and they ended up flat-out not paying her while still using her image and then the owners of the brand came out with this huge persecution complex about people being out to get them.

In this Facebook thread a bunch of other people chimed in that this has happened to them aswell so I guess it’s not s public news thing yet?? This was probably about a year ago though now

Recoome fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 5, 2018

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

DancingShade posted:

JSAs have been nothing more than parasites on the public purse since day one.

:agreed:
the time spent in Robodebt setup should have been spent auditing the poo poo out of JSAs. Thats where you'll find wasted social security dollars, not in poor peoples bank accounts.

The Peccadillo posted:

Maybe. Some dipshits are just genuinely pumped about brands, though

Yep, my ex loving loves their clothes and her wardrobe is a rotating stock of kitten stuff. she gets no handouts or boons. Some people just love brands.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

Sorry busy day but my friend was a model for them for a while and they ended up flat-out paying her while still using her image and then the owners of the brand came out with this huge persecution complex about people being out to get them.

In this Facebook thread a bunch of other people chimed in that this has happened to them aswell so I guess it’s not s public news thing yet?? This was probably about a year ago though now

They payed her while using her image? That sounds normal.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Abc (not News.com.au) posted:

Brisbane schoolgirl Riata Baker is 12, and she is already saving her hard-earned cash for a house or shares in a business.

The youngster said she was earning up to $100 a weekend by making balloon animals and face painting at kids' birthday parties.

Her mum encouraged her to start her own business after she taught herself both crafts by watching YouTube videos.

"Mum thought it would be a good job rather than flipping burgers at a fast food place while I'm a teenager," she told ABC Radio Brisbane's Craig Zonca and Rebecca Levingston.

Riata said she had managed to save $1,600 since she started charging for her handiwork.

Marlene Baker said she supported her daughter's entrepreneurial spirit because she wanted her to learn about money early, including business basics.

She said Riata paid her a commission for the balloons she supplied and time spent driving her to and from jobs.

The 12-year-old said she also had planned to sell mobile phone accessories at her school to beef up her bank balance.

"I've got two accounts; one for savings and one for spending," she said.

"I'm saving my spending one up for a car and my savings one up for shares in a business or a house.

"I don't want to have lots of money in a mortgage for a house ... I'll be paying it off until I nearly die."

Better to be rich than look rich

Griffith University financial planning student Azaria Bell runs a YouTube channel to provide young people with strategies to save.

She said social pressure drove many young people to adopt bad spending habits and live a life they could not afford.

"I'd rather be rich than look rich," she said.

"It would be nice to have an expensive car. but nothing feels better than feeling safe and secure.

"Financial stress is one thing you can aim to eliminate or reduce, so why not do that while you're young?"

The 21-year-old said she advised other young people to get a head start on their own financial security by treating their savings account like another bill.

"I don't like the word budget; it's a bit of a dirty word for me," Ms Bell said.

"If I'm earning $400 in a week ... I'll pay the bills, pay into my own savings account and then whatever is left is what you have to spend.

"What a lot of people do is they pay the bills, they spend and then save whatever is left at the end of the week but it doesn't normally work out like that."

Ms Bell said she managed to live debt free in her final year of university by knuckling down on her spending habits early and striking a balance between having a social life and meeting her personal goals.

Financial literacy starts in school

Financial Basics Foundation chief executive Katrina Birch said money education had the ability to make traditional disciplines like maths and social sciences more relevant.

The foundation was set up by a Queensland debt collection agency that realised the people they were pursuing had not received an education about money during their school years.

Ms Birch said the program now entered schools for free to speak with students about how to avoid bad debt and manage their finances as adults.

"For many young people juggling studies and work and finding spare cash to make ends meet can be tricky," she said.

"The concern is that young Australians are relying on credit cards to finance overseas trips, rental payments, study and those lifestyle choices."

Ms Birch said the concept of invisible money and temptation of credit cards and deferred payment systems encouraged young people to spend rather than save.

She said schools that did not include lessons about money in their curriculum were likely to turn out students that would not understand concepts like interest rates.

Griffith University senior finance lecturer Dr Rakesh Gupta said involving your children in holiday budgeting was a positive way to help them understand money management from an early age.

"We do the budget every time we travel and go on holidays but we don't involve our children in that process," he said.

"Sit down with the children beforehand and say, 'We have two weeks of holidays and we've got $5,000 to spend on that holiday. Let's plan what to do with that $5,000'."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They payed her while using her image? That sounds normal.

WOah woah I meant not paying her at all while still using her image

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
love 2 get my business advice from toddlers with a hobby

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Recoome posted:

Sorry busy day but my friend was a model for them for a while and they ended up flat-out not paying her while still using her image and then the owners of the brand came out with this huge persecution complex about people being out to get them.

I told my wife this and she's vowed not to shop with them any more. I was worried that she was turning a bit too bourgie and would have to be executed come the revolution, but this has really turned her around. My heartfelt thanks.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

love 2 get my business advice from toddlers with a hobby

Wow! Little girl earns 10 dollars per hour and performs tricks at mother's friends children's birthday party while amused capitalists throw her tips!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
She's learning to save some money. I never learned to save and it hosed me up. It's a life skill.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Recoome posted:

This happens a lot with models and smaller brands, it's pretty much "oh you'll get lots of exposure" type poo poo too.

Anidav posted:

Last year, Ipsos conducted for Fairfax focus groups in Sydney and Melbourne, and some of the descriptions of the Opposition leader included “a snake”, “he stabs people in the back”, “sorry but I can’t stand him”, and the kicker: “inauthentic”.

Snake for PM
Because focus groups worked so well for KRudd.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Focus groups worked great for Rudd, he just couldn't sell a policy to save himself. He made good policy that was popular so loving boring that people tuned out.

I remember being in WA and seeing his first mining tax ads which were literally a handsome middle aged manager giving a PowerPoint presentation and was like "ahaha this guy is cooked before he's even gotten started".

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Good policy but it’s those soul-sapping monthly review meetings where your boss fiddles with the projector for ten minutes before subjecting you to another randomly chosen PowerPoint template.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Wow! Little girl earns 10 dollars per hour and performs tricks at mother's friends children's birthday party while amused capitalists throw her tips!

Guillotine

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the public prefers bad policy sold well to good policy sold badly, that’s the reality of government.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Endman posted:

Good policy but it’s those soul-sapping monthly review meetings where your boss fiddles with the projector for ten minutes before subjecting you to another randomly chosen PowerPoint template.

Christ I don't miss working in an office

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JSA's are the bosses that hold weekly team meetings to tell you how you're more empowered to enact change in the company and foster positive outcomes, except the company just keeps changing processes to do the opposite.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I got most angry with office poo poo when our business that marketed software to professionals and told us all that they wanted suggestions and ideas for ways to improve our professional image to our clients and I told them they'd badly (and unintentionally) misspelled the standard English corporate word in the software name and they proceeded to mock me for being a crazy nerd until I left the company. That multiple customers had told us in feedback forms had made them think we were idiots.

gently caress those idiot bogans.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

iajanus posted:

Christ I don't miss working in an office

I currently can't have a hot shower but the upshot is I'm waiting for an electrician and not attending a two hour PowerPoint presentation. It might actually be worth the five days of feeling unclean.

No one wants to watch that poo poo and most would do anything to get out of it.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

JBP posted:

I currently can't have a hot shower but the upshot is I'm waiting for an electrician and not attending a two hour PowerPoint presentation. It might actually be worth the five days of feeling unclean.

No one wants to watch that poo poo and most would do anything to get out of it.

Hey guys, can we have a huddle scheduled for 15 minutes but that ends up derailing for 90 minutes to discuss a problem that could be resolved via a yes/no answer? Also since the discussion took so long the solution cannot be implemented correctly? Thanks.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

I’m the parent cutting into her profit margins by charging her for transport and consumables.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

cheese-cube posted:

When I was last on Newstart I went to two different JSAs, one in Northbridge and another in Victoria Park. Both were owned by the same outfit which I believe is now defunct was probably swallowed up by the Salvos. I only attended the bare minimum hours required and it was shite. I'd rock up in the morning with about 7-10 others and we'd all sign-in and then go to this room which had a handful of garbage PCs, some telephones, a fax machine and a stack of newspapers (Most were missing the job posting sections and there were never enough to go around). Most of the time I'd just check my e-mail and fire off a couple of resumes, things which I could have done at home without an hour of round-trip travel.

I've never bothered to look into what money these outfits receive from the government but whatever it is it's a loving waste.

Centrelink lady I made a meeting with to complain about MAX employment told me that there's little point changing as they're all like that... Well done for MAX employment too wanting me to fill out some poo poo give-us-credit-form after I got a job that I'd been interviewed for before even starting with them (or even left Uni). ...and then bombarding me with all-caps text messages that I'm going to be cut off for missing a meeting with them (despite working full time, and they knew it because they wanted credit for it).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Snake for PM

Snaaaaake, it's a snaaaaaaake

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Anidav posted:

I'm the upper class family she was born into that has friends with enough disposable income they can pay $100 for some loving balloon animals.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'll just hop into my loving time machine with the newfound information that I won't ever be able to afford a house and let 12-year-old me know. That's really going to help kick-start the anxiety I'll have for the rest of my life. lol.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Why is the state media saying people should start working at twelve to expect to be able to own their home

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Granite Octopus posted:

I'll just hop into my loving time machine with the newfound information that I won't ever be able to afford a house and let 12-year-old me know. That's really going to help kick-start the anxiety I'll have for the rest of my life. lol.

if I had a time machine I'd sell it and buy a house

e: might even be able to afford something in carlton

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 6, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If I had a time machine I'd tell Whitlam not to borrow money from Khemlani.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Dude McAwesome posted:

I’m the parent cutting into her profit margins by charging her for transport and consumables.
School yard bully taunts, "Your Mum's a rent seeker!"

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Could any of you lovely people with a subscription to the Hun post today's article attacking MFB firefighters?

Cartoon posted:

School yard bully taunts, "Your Mum's a rent seeker!"

Guillotine.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JBP posted:

If I had a time machine I'd tell Whitlam not to borrow money from Khemlani.

Ur not the boss of me <:mad:>

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

If I had a time machine I'd tell Whitlam not to borrow money from Khemlani. to sack John Kerr

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loving NBN

god drat loving nbn

they've disconnected my service by mistake.

my provider iinet has no idea what's going on, so I'm on hold to iinet support which is on hold to nbn support.

This has been going on daily since WEDNESDAY

loving nbn

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well my new NBN connection works great with a blistering line speed of 5.5mbps :smug:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That happened when I swapped providers.

"hey we've connected your service, you can disconnect from the other guys"
*cancel old provider*
*internet dies*
"who told you to disconnect it, we need to do it from scratch now!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

bandaid.friend posted:

Why is the state media saying people should start working at twelve to expect to be able to own their home
Nanny state child labour laws preventing the next generation in earning their share.

• Locked thread