Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If you have recycler grenades, Nightmare should be fairly easy to deal with - they really are tremendously useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jerusalem posted:

If you have recycler grenades, Nightmare should be fairly easy to deal with - they really are tremendously useful.

Recycler grenades are the one thing in this game that gives me Elixir Syndrome.

Also unless I carefully and systematically segregate a pile of junk I'm perpetually terrified of melting something I wanted. :saddowns:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Recycler grenades are the one thing in this game that gives me Elixir Syndrome.

Also unless I carefully and systematically segregate a pile of junk I'm perpetually terrified of melting something I wanted. :saddowns:

I was that way with them right up until the first Nightmare appeared, at which point I fumbled my way into an easy slo-mo victory against it and was never really scared by Nightmares again.

Nightmares are a missed opportunity for this game, it was initially scary to have a big bad guy that you're urged to run from but once you figure out they're vulnerable to recycler grenades it just becomes a game of baiting them come at you while you leave a trail of grenades behind you. I feel like there should have been a typhon power that weakened and slowed them rather than a human item being their major weakness.

Also, the game reallly needs a few more enemy types roaming the halls. I found the ethereal, wispy-smokey enemies to be kind of boring after a while. I get that they didn't rip off System Shock toooooo much but still, give me some scary gross monsters as well please.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m not a huge fan of Arkane’s DLC conceits, so my most fervent hope is that they’ll also fully implement hardcore mode as an option.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I honestly wish there was a way to just disable the nightmare in subsequent playthroughs. It's just tedious and annoying.

Still hoping for that new game +.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I honestly wish there was a way to just disable the nightmare in subsequent playthroughs. It's just tedious and annoying.

Still hoping for that new game +.

The nightmare probably seemed a lot cooler when they thought they could make it shapeshift.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm not really sure how the nightmare could be reworked to be fun without radically altering how it works. It's just at the point where it doesn't have a tediously huge amount of HP, and upping that would risk just having an annoying bullet sponge, especially since it struggles to hit you with both its melee and ranged attacks anyway. Upping its damage is largely redundant since it can one-hit anyone who hasn't taken the health upgrades anyway, but then making it more able to hit you would again make it pretty obnoxious to fight since any mistake can be instant death. Most of its basic attributes have this issue where tweaking them wouldn't help much.

The problem is that it's so huge. It looks really cool, but by making it that big it's A) impossible to miss, taking most of the skill/tension from the shooter aspect of the game, and B) it struggles to navigate environments made for much smaller beings, so it can't hit you very often. You'd have to go back to the drawing board and make a smaller enemy, or something more maneuverable and less blocky, like a crawling mass of tendrils. That could still have a large overall volume without being such an easy target and without suffering from the limitations of being on a relatively small game map.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

I'm not really sure how the nightmare could be reworked to be fun without radically altering how it works. It's just at the point where it doesn't have a tediously huge amount of HP, and upping that would risk just having an annoying bullet sponge, especially since it struggles to hit you with both its melee and ranged attacks anyway. Upping its damage is largely redundant since it can one-hit anyone who hasn't taken the health upgrades anyway, but then making it more able to hit you would again make it pretty obnoxious to fight since any mistake can be instant death. Most of its basic attributes have this issue where tweaking them wouldn't help much.

The problem is that it's so huge. It looks really cool, but by making it that big it's A) impossible to miss, taking most of the skill/tension from the shooter aspect of the game, and B) it struggles to navigate environments made for much smaller beings, so it can't hit you very often. You'd have to go back to the drawing board and make a smaller enemy, or something more maneuverable and less blocky, like a crawling mass of tendrils. That could still have a large overall volume without being such an easy target and without suffering from the limitations of being on a relatively small game map.

See the post above yours. There's some early footage of the game in which the nightmare is able to shapeshift and fit into smaller spaces. That never made it to the live version for whatever reasons.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It moves pretty quickly so it would work to stun the thing instead of kill it. But Prey’s stealth system is sort of undercooked so the cat and mouse dynamic wouldn’t be that strong

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I'm so excited for DLC but I just can't imagine how they'll advance from the base game. Moon Base is cool, but how can it be anything other than "Talos, but half as big"? The story was totally self-contained.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be satisfied with "more Prey". Maybe we'll get to explore moon caves or drive moon buggies.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Their Dishonored DLC has been different stories with the player inhabiting a different character (Dauwd in D1, Billie Lurk in D2).

If they go that way, one fan theory is that it will be Danielle Sho getting to the Moon somehow, but who knows.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Basic Chunnel posted:

Their Dishonored DLC has been different stories with the player inhabiting a different character (Dauwd in D1, Billie Lurk in D2).

If they go that way, one fan theory is that it will be Danielle Sho getting to the Moon somehow, but who knows.

What if we got to play (end game spoiler) the real Morgan Yu

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

I hope it's that, if only so that we keep getting zero-G segments. Moon gravity might be fun too, but I don't want zero-G to go away.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Dancer posted:

I hope it's that, if only so that we keep getting zero-G segments. Moon gravity might be fun too, but I don't want zero-G to go away.

Well at the very least I'd imagine you'll be able to fly four times further with your jumpjets and throw things four times further as well.

aniviron posted:

Nightmare needs ground tendrils he can send out. Like those shockwaves that big enemies always have, except more Typhon-y and whispy.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tumble posted:

Nightmare needs ground tendrils he can send out. Like those shockwaves that big enemies always have, except more Typhon-y and whispy.

Now that's a drat fine idea. A reskin of the Superthermal power that the Thermal Phantoms use would work pretty well. You'd have to make animations for the Nightmare to do it though. Still, would be easier to implement than a lot of the other suggestions.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

KPC_Mammon posted:

What if we got to play (end game spoiler) the real Morgan Yu

that's what i'm hoping for.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Neurosis posted:

That wouldn't be much different from a regular playthrough, no?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Neurosis posted:

Maybe we get to see how Earth is fairing since last we saw of it, it was covered in the Coral.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

That wouldn't be much different from a regular playthrough, no?

presumably he'd actually talk... actually it kind of goes against the justification for the game-breaking (or what would be game-breaking in any other game) freedom you have in the first game to do this. then again maybe his personality really is mush from all the neuromods and it could be about defining his new identity, which would be another riff on the same idea as the main game.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 7, 2018

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
would you big jerks stfu about dlc until they announce something because you're just making me cry at this point

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

ladron posted:

would you big jerks stfu about dlc until they announce something because you're just making me cry at this point

In case you didn't see it. It's.. something? Got me excited anyway.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
:siren:

https://twitter.com/PreyGame/status/971868171983441920

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If this ends in the announcement of an art book I'm going to be very upset.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

That looks like the moon

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rinkles posted:

That looks like the moon

It's a soundstage in Hollywood, nobody can go to the real moon.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Kibayasu posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I felt terrible about not buying Prey earlier and if this is DLC I'm buying it immediately :hellyeah:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wasn't there an article in game talking about how all the moonbases sucked and were cramped and uncomfortable and totally different to the luxury of Talos?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Wasn't there an article in game talking about how all the moonbases sucked and were cramped and uncomfortable and totally different to the luxury of Talos?

you think transtar execs are gonna suffer the same inconveniences as whatever grunts have to deal with?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
https://twitter.com/KasmaCorp

Some sort of ARG thing, possibly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kasma was the transtar competitor that people were smuggling and selling material off Talos One to. There's been an account /u/KasmaCorp posting cryptic moon-related messages on Reddit for a few weeks too.

I saw some speculation that in the DLC we'll learn that Morgan actually did succeed in protecting earth from the events on Talos, and the contamination was Kasma's fault. This certainly supports that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 9, 2018

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Kibayasu posted:

Or we end up with Prey: The Fall

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Previa_fun posted:

I know the comparison is tired but I've never played System Shock 1 or 2 and for me Prey is everything I didn't know I wanted out of Bioshock. I didn't even really love Dishonored 2 outside of a few moments. (Crack in the Slab kicked so much rear end)

In comparison, Prey feels so much more open and I've only just gotten to the Arboretum.

You should play the upcoming complete remake of SS1 when it releases. There's a demo out now. I can't wait for the thread:

"System Shock - jesus christ they called the 3rd Prey "System Shock". loving buy this!"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Hate to be the one to tell you this but the SS1 remake is basically dead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SS1 is surprisingly playable with the current portable release that makes mouselook much more usable (I think GOG comes with this release now)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Basic Chunnel posted:

Hate to be the one to tell you this but the SS1 remake is basically dead

Those bitches. I was stoked for that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

They got way too ambitious, it's a shame.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 11, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

What a rotten way to end a project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

There must be something we can do.