Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The thing with a good deal of the luchadors is WCW was just really stupid and racist. LA Park is an all time great. El Dandy was one of the best wrestler on the planet and a main event player with El Hijo De Santo and Negro Casas in the early 90s. Would you ever know it from WCW? Both of them were treated like jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

No one ever doubted el dandy though

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hell La Parka was getting over as much as he could just WCW held him down

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oldpainless posted:

No one ever doubted el dandy though

haha nice. the meme

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Super No Vacancy posted:

haha nice. the meme

:gas:

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

If we're past the point we can make El Dandy jokes why are we even posting anymore

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ah yes, posting the same 10 memes since 1999: truly great joke craftsmanship at work here

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

*chris jericho voice* ARMBARRRRRRRRR!!! haha remember that

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, that was good.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Rude Awakening loving kicked rear end

I actually agree with you. The original question was written with a very negative slant and I was trying to give him “the answer he was looking for” rather than my opinion.

But yeah I dug the rude awakening. It was a childhood bed wrestling thing when you’re 8.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Of the many many things WCW had and squandered, the cruiserweights in general stand out. They were something that actually made Nitro distinct, and it was a good idea to have one of those matches at or near the opening of the show to have something nice and fast to kick things off and get everyone hyped. But Bischoff just didn't see the point.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rude managed to make that garden variety neckbreaker look like he was trying to snap the other guy's head off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Super No Vacancy posted:

haha nice. the meme

Super No Vacancy posted:

ah yes, posting the same 10 memes since 1999: truly great joke craftsmanship at work here

Super No Vacancy posted:

*chris jericho voice* ARMBARRRRRRRRR!!! haha remember that

Settle your kettle.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Who are you to doubt El Dandy memes still being amusing in 2018?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

mean gene would

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

meme gene

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

haha nice. the meme

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

lets start on using this funny new one I'm creating. whenever something typically vince happens in the wrestling ring (or nearby it, at least in the same arena or on the same show)
then put this on here

It's like he is the "ref" (decider) and showing his powers a well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
El Dandy v. Satanico had a hair match that was like considered a top ten all time CMLL match back in 1990 iirc

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Honestly "This is a groin pull the likes of which you've never seen" and "jam up guy" are way funnier parts of that promo

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm watching a couple of the past Hall of Fame ceremonies, and with Trish's induction of Lita, I'm really struck by how much she sounds like Alexa Bliss. Her voice is really similar, but beyond that, they also both have a really natural manner of public speaking. Was Trish good on the mic when she was wrestling, or did this skill come about later?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Remember WCW's core audience.

When Master P and his No Limit Soldiers showed up WCW made a strawman country music stable for them to feud with.
The audience piled behind the strawmen.
The audience piled behind the strawmen and even bought their lovely country music song that was designed to get cheap heat.
The audience piled behind the strawmen so hard that they had to scrap the whole NLS thing after like, a month and pay Master P way too much money to do nothing.

This is no way an endorsement of WCW's treatment of the Luchadores (Tequila bottle on a pole? Frikkin really?) but there was a definite ceiling to how popular the luchadores could have become.

El Dandy may have been one of the best wrestlers in the world at this time, but so what? Kevin Nash was one of the worst. Popularity and wrestling ability had absolutely no correlation in WCW.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 5, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the West Texas Rednecks owned, you have to love any group with Curt Hennig and Barry Windham in it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

When Master P and his No Limit Soldiers showed up WCW made a strawman country music stable for them to feud with.
The audience piled behind the strawmen and even bought their lovely country music song that was designed to get cheap heat.
The audience piled behind the strawmen so hard that they had to scrap the whole NLS soldier thing after like, a month and pay Master P way too much money to do nothing.

This is no way an endorsement of WCW's treatment of the Luchadores (Tequila bottle on a pole? Frikkin really?) but there was a definite ceiling to how popular the luchadores could have become.

El Dandy may have been one of the best wrestlers in the world at this time, but so what? Kevin Nash was one of the worst. Popularity and wrestling ability had absolutely no correlation in WCW.

Rey Mysterio Jr. was tremendously popular, and as time went on Nash became less and less popular. Other guys like Juvi got over when they were actually pushed and even La Parka could get reactions when they let him actually do poo poo. Booker T was consistently over even if he wasn't a main event draw, and guys like Liger and Ultimo Dragon got over too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Behold the greatness of La Parka!

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/952572478282452992

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh the idea that WCW fans wouldn't love a group of southern stereotypes involving Windham is hilarious

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tbh the idea that WCW fans wouldn't love a group of southern stereotypes involving Windham is hilarious

It legitimately tore apart the actual WCW offices (Which were in Atlanta) for a while.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also the full name of their signature song was "Rap is Crap (I Hate Rap)" which is kind of perfect even if you don't think rap is crap and you don't hate rap.

e: Plus they renamed Virgil to Curly Bill and had him join lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is an extremely pro click

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

Rey Mysterio Jr. was tremendously popular, and as time went on Nash became less and less popular. Other guys like Juvi got over when they were actually pushed and even La Parka could get reactions when they let him actually do poo poo. Booker T was consistently over even if he wasn't a main event draw, and guys like Liger and Ultimo Dragon got over too.

I wonder if any of those guys would have drawn as WHC though. I mean except Booker, which isn't fair because nothing save maybe Goldberg was going to draw in 2000.

Do you think Rey could/should have been world champion in at least 2000?
Because I say yes. Probably over Booker tbh.

I won't lie. The reason I asked the question about La Parka is because I plan on counter-programing WM 17 with La Parka winning the WCW WHT in my TEW 2016 game and I wanted to get a feel for what he really is as a performer.

Alright, shifting focus a little:

Does creative direction even matter in professional wrestling anymore? In terms of improving/ruining a company's fortunes that is to say.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

I wonder if any of those guys would have drawn as WHC though. I mean except Booker, which isn't fair because nothing save maybe Goldberg was going to draw in 2000.

Do you think Rey could/should have been world champion in at least 2000?
Because I say yes. Probably over Booker tbh.

I won't lie. The reason I asked the question about La Parka is because I plan on counter-programing WM 17 with La Parka winning the WCW WHT in my TEW 2016 game and I wanted to get a feel for what he really is as a performer.

Alright, shifting focus a little:

Does creative direction even matter in professional wrestling anymore? In terms of improving/ruining a company's fortunes that is to say.

When Flair was the president of WCW and was also the champ, he had a match with Rey for the title on a Nitro. The crowd absolutely wanted Rey to win.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

creative direction is paramount in wrestling. its irrelevant in sports entertainment

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

For Savage's post WM5 and Macho King runs with Sherri as his manager, what was his relationship with Elizabeth? They didn't divorce until 1992. Were they still traveling together?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

The audience piled behind the strawmen so hard that they had to scrap the whole NLS thing after like, a month and pay Master P way too much money to do nothing.

It didn't help that everyone involved in the No Limit Soldiers were terrible on a number of levels. At the time I remember feeling conflicted, I didn't really care for anyone in the West Texas Rednecks, or the group as a whole, but I hated the whole No Limit Soldiers thing. If it had been, say Busta Rhymes and the Flip Mode Squad instead, and they'd gotten some talented indy wrestlers to represent them, it would've been a different story.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
With all the 80s and 90s wrestlers showing up on occasion in the WWE, some having legend contracts, how come The Mountie (Jacques Rougeau) hasn't shown up ? He had a fun, at times comedy heel gimmick. From my tiny amount of research (wikipedia) there isn't beef between him and the WWE, Is there a problem that's not widely known ? Cause otherwise, it seems like a missed opportunity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jacques says he's on the poo poo list with Vince, but I can't find if he's ever said why (or if he knows. It is Vince after all.)

Edit: Apparently it's because he's just a massive douche. Nothing fancy, just nobody can stand the guy.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 6, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Jacques says he's on the poo poo list with Vince, but I can't find if he's ever said why (or if he knows. It is Vince after all.)

Edit: Apparently it's because he's just a massive douche. Nothing fancy, just nobody can stand the guy.

Kevin Owens/Steen has told many a tale about Jacques, none of them flattering. stab, who posts here and knows both Kevin and Sami, could elaborate better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8on1G_cnCG8

Here's a story about Jacques being petty and greedy about getting Kevin a tryout

He also once sucker-punched Dynamite Kid with a roll of quarters

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He also once sucker-punched Dynamite Kid with a roll of quarters

To be fair, this is something he should get a medal for.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, this is something he should get a medal for.

I don't necessarily disagree but Vince could have still mentally filed him away as a huge pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The No Limit Soldiers were dead from their very first appearance. Even before the Rednecks showed up the crowd just did not care.

And of course add to this the ways they actively booked things wrong- having the Soldiers outnumber the Rednecks, having the Soldiers regularly be the ones initiating violence, etc.