Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

This just sounds like typical white-midwesterner-in-a-big-city fear.

I was born in a super lovely part of Chicago and grew up in Gary, IN. I was a minority until the 4th grade. I'm not afraid of jack poo poo but Detroit is loving terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Cap was absolutely willing to compromise until Tony told him Wanda was under house arrest. It's obviously a bit more complicated since Wanda is a walking WMD. But it's still segregating someone because of who they are. Steve was around for WW2, he sure as hell knows where THAT poo poo leads in the end. I don't blame him at all for flipping out. Along with Shield being infiltrated with Nazis, you can't argue that his motivations aren't justified and in character.

She was put in house arrest because she blew up a city block. Not to mention she was indirectly responsible for Ultron and directly for hulk freaking out. It has little to do with bigotry and everything to do with her actions.

And his viewpoint that the avengers should be beyond reproach and supervision was narrowminded and arrogant, not to mention dangerous. Fits his namesake I guess

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She’s also an illegal immigrant!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

McCloud posted:

She was put in house arrest because she blew up a city block.

I mean but not really.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

That was very much the point of Luke Cage's Harlem. Harlem, and crime in Harlem, has evolved.
Yeah a problem with a lot of comics seems to be that they treat America like it is still the 80s and 70s when crime rates were wayyyyyyyyy higher back then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I'd rathet walk through the south side of Chicago with John McCain's sandwich board than go through downtown Detroit.

Is that the one that says "I'm one ooooooold man!"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...no, pretty sure it says the same thing as McClane's.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

"Sandwich board" is a real weird way to refer to Sarah Palin.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
When is the Justice League Detroit movie?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol phone posting is fun.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 6, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kai Tave posted:

I mean but not really.

Yeah, crossbones blew up the city block, she just moved the explosion somewhere else where it killed 17 people instead of a few hundred.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

McCloud posted:

She was put in house arrest because she blew up a city block. Not to mention she was indirectly responsible for Ultron and directly for hulk freaking out. It has little to do with bigotry and everything to do with her actions.

And his viewpoint that the avengers should be beyond reproach and supervision was narrowminded and arrogant, not to mention dangerous. Fits his namesake I guess

Except she wasn't actually under arrest. If she's done something illegal, then arrest her. But she was being detained without trial, parole, due process or any real legal grounding at all. It's a slippery slope and Cap knows it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You must not be American.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ironically, the whole thing could have been avoided if Tony had just asked Wanda to wear a blond wig if she ran to the store.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rhyno posted:

Detroit is loving terrifying.

Dude, no it's loving not.
Maybe 10 years ago but downtown has practically been sterilized. I moved to midtown to live out my post apocalyptic dreams and now 8 years later I can't afford the rent.

Also, stop saying that poo poo, not only is it insulting it's the exact reason why people get robbed....they can smell fear.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Koalas March posted:

I want an Cyborg movie filmed in Detroit. That sounds dope as hell. Could probably use the city itself for an allegory or metaphor about his body or vice versa, if they got a good writer.

I was scrolling very fast and I just discovered Xplain the X-Men, so I read that as Cyclops. That would be the best worst thing ever and now I want it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

He’s not big enough. Captain Marvel is a little boy’s idea of their dad saving the day so he should be beefy.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Ojjeorago posted:

He’s not big enough. Captain Marvel is a little boy’s idea of their dad saving the day so he should be beefy.

They should give Shazzam a dad bod, and give him interactions with bad guys in the following vein:

CM: Who are you?

Antagonist: I am your worst nightmare!

CM: Hi, Your Worst Nightmare, I'm Dad! *punch to face*

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

They should give Shazzam a dad bod, and give him interactions with bad guys in the following vein:

CM: Who are you?

Antagonist: I am your worst nightmare!

CM: Hi, Your Worst Nightmare, I'm Shazam! *punch to face*

If that was all this movie was, and they kept Zachary Levi as is, I will be 110% behind this and will abandoned Marvel full fold. Sadly they'll darken his suit in post and add abs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Now remember, Mary, your eyeline should be two feet above his head. Trust me, it'll work out in post? No, my voice didn't just raise there at the end. I'm very confident! Action!"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 6, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

This has to be one of the most comics-accurate suits yet, right? I’m absolutely astonished it isn’t dark maroon, capeless, with bronze accents.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This has to be one of the most comics-accurate suits yet, right? I’m absolutely astonished it isn’t dark maroon, capeless, with bronze accents.

Movies have been pretty good about keeping capes on characters. Off the top of my head the only ones that have lost their capes (outside of the X-Men movies) have been people like Gamora and Scarlet Witch who had poo poo costumes to begin with.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just wait until the editors start loving with the color correction 😂😂

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Koalas March posted:

Just wait until the editors start loving with the color correction 😂😂

Dude, I want some Burger King

Edit - Wait, where's the image?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is that a lightning bolt or is it just a big gold triangle?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Except she wasn't actually under arrest. If she's done something illegal, then arrest her. But she was being detained without trial, parole, due process or any real legal grounding at all. It's a slippery slope and Cap knows it.

The whole point of her being under house arrest is to avoid facing charges. It's Tony making a compromise to specifically prevent that from happening, and once the furor has died down they can just let her go. Cap isn't angry she's not being brought to court, he's angry she's facing consequences at all for the mistake that killed people. Remember, "the safest hands are still our own", presumably everyone else should just stay out of their way, despite the collateral damage they cause.

The problem with Tony's stance is that he doesn't actually believe they should be regulated either, he's just paying lip service to the UN and getting in on the ground floor so he can shape the rules and laws to be as pro-avengers as possible, then just breaks the rules anyways when it's convenient.

The whole premise is just a smokescreen, Tony and Cap are on the same page, that they should be above the law and allowed to do as they want. The only difference is that Tony is willing to pretend to follow the rules to assuage the governments while Cap doesn't think he's beholden to anyone but his own ideals.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that a lightning bolt or is it just a big gold triangle?

Both, the lightning bolt is on top of the big gold triangle. You can just barely make out the shape.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I can sort of make it out, now that you mention it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, crossbones blew up the city block, she just moved the explosion somewhere else where it killed 17 people instead of a few hundred.

Honestly if that had happened in the comics she'd have been put to death without a trial, because the 616 public at large is incredibly stupid and vindictive.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I can't remember, was their operation sanctioned by any government, or did they just go in on their own?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McCloud posted:

I can't remember, was their operation sanctioned by any government, or did they just go in on their own?

The movie is incredibly unclear about that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

The movie is incredibly unclear about that.

Not really. Almost immediately after the scene in Lagos (after Tony’s MIT speech) they have a scene in which Steve and Wanda are watching news pieces about whether they, as private citizens with superhuman powers, should have the right to act as they did without any government permission or oversight.

That’s kind of the point of the movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Avengers used to work for SHIELD (which really should excuse them for New York) but then SHIELD was Nazis, so they had to go freelance.

He looks kinda like the tiny Superman on Supergirl. I always think of Captain Shazam having a huge Hulk Hogan torso.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Not really. Almost immediately after the scene in Lagos (after Tony’s MIT speech) they have a scene in which Steve and Wanda are watching news pieces about whether they, as private citizens with superhuman powers, should have the right to act as they did without any government permission or oversight.

That’s kind of the point of the movie.

What movie did you watch?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SonicRulez posted:

The Avengers used to work for SHIELD (which really should excuse them for New York) but then SHIELD was Nazis, so they had to go freelance.

The Avengers never worked for SHIELD. Steve worked for SHIELD, yeah, but the Avengers were only brought together by them. They were freelance pretty much from the beginning.

Lurdiak posted:

What movie did you watch?

Captain America: Civil War

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

They didn't have to go freelance, they wanted to go freelance. Assuming Phylo is correct (and it would line up with the theme of the movie) they decided to, on their own volition, without being asked by anyone, to entirely circumvent local law enforcement officers to go after terrorists, who then escaped into a heavily populated area and caused collateral damage.

Then he says they don't need oversight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

McCloud posted:

The whole point of her being under house arrest is to avoid facing charges. It's Tony making a compromise to specifically prevent that from happening, and once the furor has died down they can just let her go. Cap isn't angry she's not being brought to court, he's angry she's facing consequences at all for the mistake that killed people.

Tony imprisoning Wanda is an interesting compromise. If Wanda had decided of her own accord to hole up somewhere, ok, but she didn't seem thrilled that Vision was keeping her there against her will for her own (or Stark's) protection.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McCloud posted:

They didn't have to go freelance, they wanted to go freelance. Assuming Phylo is correct (and it would line up with the theme of the movie) they decided to, on their own volition, without being asked by anyone, to entirely circumvent local law enforcement officers to go after terrorists, who then escaped into a heavily populated area and caused collateral damage.

Then he says they don't need oversight.

That’s oversimplifying. They shouldn’t be able to do whatever they want without consequences. That’s not what Steve wants, either. He wants himself and his teammates, as sovereign citizens, to be able to act on their principles. Government oversight runs the risk of turning the Avengers into Team America: World Police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That SHIELD logo doesn't have a gold fringe, you have no authority over me.

• Locked thread