Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fleet "command limit" seems like a stopgap measure intended to make you want to recruit more admirals. That's about the extent of the effect it has on the game.

Edit: Ah, you were talking about the "hard cap" on overall naval capacity. Was it for performance or something? I dunno.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

Military caps have been in pretty much every paradox game. Of all the highly abstracted systems that serve a gameplay purpose primarily they're some of the least bad. It represents your country's capacity to efficiently support X amount of ships in the field. Like in every paradox game you can of course go over this cap, but you'll pay higher upkeep. You're still paying upkeep on ships, it's not like they're free under the cap.

Right I don't think I was being clear, I get the concept of fleet caps, I don't agree with limiting the fleet cap to a max of 1000

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Right I don't think I was being clear, I get the concept of fleet caps, I don't agree with limiting the fleet cap to a max of 1000

Oh there's like a hard upper limit? Probably more for technical reasons. Play smaller maps I guess :)
What weird arbitrary limit drives me nuts is that it takes many years of sitting there waiting for time pass to amass the resources needed to build a mega-structure, then you have to wait for it to build. And if you have the income to support building more than one at a time, nope, gently caress you one at a time for literally no reason. I'm genuinely curious what possible gameplay reason there is for not letting me have a dyson sphere building at the same time as a sentry array. It's the same for Gateways too. Save up to build a gateway construction site, wait for the site to finish, build it... again? Wait forever again. All the meantime you can't have any others on the go. I can have 50,000 minerals worth of battleships ordered and built simultaneously but 30k of gates is just too much??

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

What weird arbitrary limit drives me nuts is that it takes many years of sitting there waiting for time pass to amass the resources needed to build a mega-structure, then you have to wait for it to build.

This seems to be the overall philosophy for pretty much anything in Stellaris. You want something, you have to sit on your rear end waiting for it. Usually more than once.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
How viable is the gaia start? Seems interesting but it seems like you'd get overtaken in research and production real fast by the AI empires.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

At the very least, it seems like the +10 Fleet Command Limit techs should stop appearing once your Fleet Command Limit is 200 from techs and traditions.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The per-fleet command limit is a deliberate anti-doomstacking mechanic.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jabor posted:

The per-fleet command limit is a deliberate anti-doomstacking mechanic.

It doesn't work like that. You can still mass up all your fleets in one big blob. You just need more admirals than before.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Magil Zeal posted:

This seems to be the overall philosophy for pretty much anything in Stellaris. You want something, you have to sit on your rear end waiting for it. Usually more than once.

I'd say this is my overall emotion while playing stellaris, a real "hurry up and wait" feeling. I'm always waiting for some extremely long timer to countdown. Waiting for a peace treaty to expire, waiting to integrate a vassal, waiting for a mega-structure to finish, waiting for my fleet to slowly creep across the map, waiting for that orbital bombardment to finally lower their defenses enough to invade.

The times when I'm making choices are fun, but there's so much waiting in between that I generally don't feel when playing a turn based game. I think a big problem is that in Stellaris there's no accounting for "production capacity", industry and raw materials are all rolled together into "minerals". So you'll often have to save up for years to build something, and then when you do have to wait some more years for it to finish. What was I doing all this time though? You generally feed a project materials as you get them, no stockpile them and spend it all at once. But then what limits how fast you can spend resources? In comes the entirely arbitrary count-downs. Why can't I spend more to terraform faster? Why can't I have 5 robots or mines being built parallel on this planet? Why can't I spend more to be able to build 2 ringworld segments at once? They finally gave us the ability to do this with ships by having multiple shipyards in a station, this is very good, but it still doesn't address the larger problem that for most of the game you're sitting and waiting for arbitrary timers to count down.

I really wish there was a more Hoi style economy. Doesn't need to be Vicky levels, Hoi would do. Have 3-4 basic resources, energy, and then factories that act as pipes for how fast you can spend those resources. Do you want to build 10 robots in serial costing 1 robot parts per turn but with a 2% discount for each in the line, or produce 10 robots in parallel costing 10 robot parts a turn until it's done? Sure you have 50,000 minerals stored up but how fast your dyson sphere is built depends on your industrial capacity.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

It's for lowering your fleet score so enemies think you are an easy target. If you're playing pacifist you often depend on other people declaring war on you, but them seeing you are more powerful tends to change their mind. Take your huge fleet, refit all the weapons out and call them a civilian reserve fleet giving you almost no declared official military. AI declares war on what they think is an easy target, you re-arm your ships and then make outrageous war demands as your pacifist empire goes on a purely defensive war on conquest.

New Civic "Passive Aggression"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Magil Zeal posted:

It doesn't work like that. You can still mass up all your fleets in one big blob. You just need more admirals than before.

By forcing you to have separate fleets, the game encourages you to split those fleets up when it makes sense to. When they're all one fleet, splitting them up takes additional tedious micro, so no-one really does it.

Yes, you can bring your multiple fleets together for a big brawl, if that's what it's going to take for a particular war. But that's no longer the easiest way to do things.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Magil Zeal posted:

Earlier in the thread (or late in the old thread, I don't remember) Wiz confirmed the 1000 cap was due to performance reasons.

Sedisp posted:

New Civic "Passive Aggression" "Canadian"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I'd say this is my overall emotion while playing stellaris, a real "hurry up and wait" feeling. I'm always waiting for some extremely long timer to countdown. Waiting for a peace treaty to expire, waiting to integrate a vassal, waiting for a mega-structure to finish, waiting for my fleet to slowly creep across the map, waiting for that orbital bombardment to finally lower their defenses enough to invade.

The times when I'm making choices are fun, but there's so much waiting in between that I generally don't feel when playing a turn based game. I think a big problem is that in Stellaris there's no accounting for "production capacity", industry and raw materials are all rolled together into "minerals". So you'll often have to save up for years to build something, and then when you do have to wait some more years for it to finish. What was I doing all this time though? You generally feed a project materials as you get them, no stockpile them and spend it all at once. But then what limits how fast you can spend resources? In comes the entirely arbitrary count-downs. Why can't I spend more to terraform faster? Why can't I have 5 robots or mines being built parallel on this planet? Why can't I spend more to be able to build 2 ringworld segments at once? They finally gave us the ability to do this with ships by having multiple shipyards in a station, this is very good, but it still doesn't address the larger problem that for most of the game you're sitting and waiting for arbitrary timers to count down.

I really wish there was a more Hoi style economy. Doesn't need to be Vicky levels, Hoi would do. Have 3-4 basic resources, energy, and then factories that act as pipes for how fast you can spend those resources. Do you want to build 10 robots in serial costing 1 robot parts per turn but with a 2% discount for each in the line, or produce 10 robots in parallel costing 10 robot parts a turn until it's done? Sure you have 50,000 minerals stored up but how fast your dyson sphere is built depends on your industrial capacity.

paradoxically, 2x tech speed actually alleviates some of the "hurry up and wait" feeling for me. because tech comes pretty slowly, there's less trivial stuff to spend minerals on at any one time, like mass building upgrades; this means you end up stockpiling pretty high and just spending big when you feel like it, fighting when you feel like, etc. you never really feel like you're actively waiting, the minerals just end up rolling in fast enough for what you want to do.

the AI seems to do better when it has a little less pressure to spend on tons of stuff all at once, too

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hives Handled, Mineral production past 200 net a month with 100 odd going to fleet maintenance. I have yet to build past corvettes or increase fleet in any way instead focusing on economy tech. seems to be working.year is 2225

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So I think they fixed the Precursor chain in 2.0.2. In the game I started, all six precursor anomalies appeared within about 10 jumps of my homeworld.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I used the stellar devourer to make a gaia world that I didn't really intend to colonize, fast forward a few months and suddenly a colony appears from the ascended empire, the colony completes revealing two ascended pops that immediately migrate the gently caress out of my empire, giving me a colonized gaia world and the ascended empire doesn't give a poo poo. Borders are closed, I'm scratching my head

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So can anyone tell me what will happen when the space-age primitive civ that has a planet in my system along with my own colonized system finally hits the next tech level and becomes a full FTL civilization? Will I just auto-annex them like in the screen shot above? Will they somehow get the system? Because shared systems are totally out now right?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So can anyone tell me what will happen when the space-age primitive civ that has a planet in my system along with my own colonized system finally hits the next tech level and becomes a full FTL civilization? Will I just auto-annex them like in the screen shot above? Will they somehow get the system? Because shared systems are totally out now right?

if you enlighten them, they'll get the whole system as your vassal. guessing that if they do it on their own, they just flat out get the system. this can be, uh, deleterious to the health of your pops if you have a colony in that system and the primitives are authoritarian or xenophobe

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
My Driven Assimilators game is hilarious. Boxed in by the Automated Dreadnought at the system connecting the two spiral arms, the Guardians of Zanaam block my expansion north into the rest of the arm, and the Ancient Caretakers are chilling out to the south. No other sentients but some Stone Age cyclopes occupying the system just before the Zanaam bottleneck, and two(!) enclaves, one of them nerds and the other theater kids.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So I think they fixed the Precursor chain in 2.0.2. In the game I started, all six precursor anomalies appeared within about 10 jumps of my homeworld.

I didn't find a single one in my 2.0.2 game. :shrug:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Zoomed in on my Colossus with the raging fire of an orange star in the background, watching it protect the known universe from stone age xenophobic geckos while Luck from Halo 3's soundtrack plays in the background

e: I don't know how to get rid of the tags

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 6, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CTRL + F9 disables the UI but I'm not sure if it hides all the little tags or not.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
So what are people's opinion about the gaia start and is there any tips on how to do well with it?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've seen other people say that you want to refit your fleet to have zero equipment/lowest tech because it is remarkably faster to refit a fleet compared to building new ships.

I've seen that too and decided to try it out, de-equipping your ships is pretty fast and does save you a lot on upkeep. Re-upgrading your ships on the other hand...

I guess it may be faster if I split my fleets so that a bunch of smaller fleets are upgraded in parallel at different shipyards, but that's a lot more work than doing the same division of labor for shipbuilding by clicking one button.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Karanas posted:

So what are people's opinion about the gaia start and is there any tips on how to do well with it?

You want a way to get off your homeworld eventually, and tech is probably too slow. I'm interested in trying a super migration-friendly empire to go with that start.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Karanas posted:

It's a great fast start. I had parity or an advantage on everyone right through the time I got droids to start settling mineral planets. I really rushed droids though, I could have been hosed with bad card draws, so I took technocracy considering how important certain early techs are.

Going robots I was worried about science and energy so also went voidborne as fast as possible. If you do remember to build habitats in otherwise uninhabited systems if you've got spare starbases because trading hubs are a non-trivial source of energy themselves. Also consider black holes/nebulas for their special buildings. Science from habitats, energy from starbases (and habitats as needed), and minerals from robot planets can get you pretty far.

The obvious alternate strategy that I think would be pretty effective would be to conquer your neighbor as soon as possible and use their race to settle everywhere. If you play well you should easily be able to beat your neighbor in an early war, at the very least to grab a colony to settle with. Maybe consider barbaric despoilers if you want to just steal pops, though you'll have to be quick before your home world fills up. Slow breeder might be an advantage there, especially as your guys aren't going to be setting any other planets for a long time.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

You want a way to get off your homeworld eventually, and tech is probably too slow. I'm interested in trying a super migration-friendly empire to go with that start.

Oh man, that hellbird nation someone posted a while back. Perfect habitability for everyone else to come so they can be used to colonize, v.adaptable hellbirds poo poo up everyone.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Alright, thanks for the replies

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Splicer posted:

I think, and after this playthrough I'll be making a mod to test it, life could be made much easier on the AI by removing many of the tile bonuses and replacing them with a smaller amount of more meaningful ones. More strategic resource and 2+ resource tiles, more blank tiles, and less or no 1 resource tiles cluttering up the place.

I'm also hoping it will make planet discovery more exiting. If I find a planet covered in +1 food tiles my only real thought is "that's going to make placing the coloniser a bitch". Alien pets, now those are exciting to find.

i just discovered a mod which makes buildings not suppress tile resources. since the AI tends to plow over bonuses that it really shouldn't, this could even the tile-micro playing field a bit between AI and player, i think.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

For science tiles, I always just upgrade to what I need at the moment without regard to what the base science-type is. Is this horribly wrong? I watched like Arumba or someone really sperg out about how he has like a physics building on an engineering tile.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

For science tiles, I always just upgrade to what I need at the moment without regard to what the base science-type is. Is this horribly wrong? I watched like Arumba or someone really sperg out about how he has like a physics building on an engineering tile.

The base science on the tile isn't suppressed in that case, so I can't see any reason that it would matter.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Optimizing for whatever you're currently most in need of is the best way to do it.

If you're the serious minmaxing type who's going to have multiple species on each of their planets each with a different "natural <science type>" trait, then matching the tile type allows you to eke out a little bit more effectiveness. That's the only upside. If you're not going to do that then it's of no benefit, so you should instead take the real benefits of buffing up the science you most need to buff up right now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just build an even spread of labs. As long as you're generating a decent amount of roughly the same proportions of techpoints, you're fine.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

I really feel like that should matter, but it doesn't. You just want to make sure it matches the planetary bonus type instead, if any.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah only need to focus on certain lab types if you're doing a certain type of run. For instance if you're gunning for getting habs asap you'll want to focus on engineering. A lot of the "tall" guides say to almost exclusively focus on engineering labs until some milestone.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

ConfusedUs posted:

CTRL + F9 disables the UI but I'm not sure if it hides all the little tags or not.

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
I usually specialize in either engineering or physics labs each game. it isn't totally ideal--you need all the weapons to be perfectly prepared against the end-game crises--but it is otherwise a helpful way to trim a couple techs since research stations do enough for the neglected branch. it is usually just as good to have a better weapon from one of the branches than a few more options from both.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What difficulty settings do you folks use? I usually do normal/aggressive, but am finding that after conquering the first empire there's not much of a challenge until the various crises pop up. I don't usually do advanced AI starts though. Should I just advanced start a load or pop it up to hard?

I don't want to get steamrolled but it's annoying when the game becomes a conquest slog without any real danger.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
high aggressive. I also jack up the number of ais because they simply don't expand fast enough. with max ais you are far more blocked in. default number of advance starts. I also play on hard difficulty but somewhat soften the ai bonuses in common/static_modifiers. with all of those changes the game is pretty challenging and fun up through mid-2300 which is a great improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Karanas posted:

Make sure your refugee policy is set to "Allow Anyone." I had a steady stream of free pops that I could use to colonize at will.