Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zenithe posted:

That happened when I swapped providers.

"hey we've connected your service, you can disconnect from the other guys"
*cancel old provider*
*internet dies*
"who told you to disconnect it, we need to do it from scratch now!?

Mine's been hooked up since September til they disconnected it for no raisin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

loving NBN

god drat loving nbn

they've disconnected my service by mistake.

my provider iinet has no idea what's going on, so I'm on hold to iinet support which is on hold to nbn support.

This has been going on daily since WEDNESDAY

loving nbn

Churn the gently caress away from iinet ASAP and watch your problems disappear.

Aussie Broadband or :fuckoff:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Synthbuttrange posted:

loving NBN

god drat loving nbn

my provider iinet has no idea what's going on, so I'm on hold to iinet support which is on hold to nbn support.

loving nbn

Bear in mind that iiNet are dogshit. When I switched from them it was a nightmare (as it was getting my service moved to a new premises with nbn). They charged me $300 for a connection I already had and a raft of other things. They're not competent and I wouldn't trust them saying it's not their fault.

Don Dongington posted:

Aussie Broadband or :fuckoff:

I use MyRepublic because they're the arch enemy of TPG and the service has been top notch.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mine's been hooked up since September til they disconnected it for no raisin!

The fun part is unless you are with Telstra, it takes like two goddamn weeks to flick it back on.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

In agreement, I moved from iinet to loving Telstra. I now receive better customer service and support.

gently caress you Mbali from the South Africa call centre, I’ve already done all the NBN required testing 5 times at different parts of the day and proved without a doubt the issue is the exchange.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Well my new NBN connection works great with a blistering line speed of 5.5mbps :smug:

On Sunday I was getting 3.3. :toot:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Bear in mind that iiNet are dogshit. When I switched from them it was a nightmare (as it was getting my service moved to a new premises with nbn). They charged me $300 for a connection I already had and a raft of other things. They're not competent and I wouldn't trust them saying it's not their fault.

Even before TPG bought them and ran them into the ground, I had at least 3 ADSL2 connections disconnected by their worthless provisioning team weeks after connection because poo poo process and incompetence.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

I was desperate not to have the NBN with Telstra (FTTP) and went through Devoted, Skymesh, and iiNet before landing at Telstra who are the only ones that can provide the rated speed or close to (+/- 15% or so) 24/7. iiNet were giving me 10mbit service when I was paying for 100 and asked me to perform literal hours of testing to confirm the issue wasn't at my end, despite having current service from another provider that was meeting the claimed speed at the time. gently caress 'em.

All those grannies getting ripped off are subsidising my experience I guess.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Pinball Jizzard posted:

gently caress you Mbali from the South Africa call centre, I’ve already done all the NBN required testing 5 times at different parts of the day and proved without a doubt the issue is the exchange.

It's not their fault. Blame privatisation and capitalism, not Mbali.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Before Times posted:

if I had a time machine I'd sell it and buy a house

e: might even be able to afford something in carlton

lol let's not get too far ahead of ourselves there. Maybe a place out near Pakenham or ~*Caroline Springs*~

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe

Pinball Jizzard posted:

In agreement, I moved from iinet to loving Telstra. I now receive better customer service and support.

lol did you just blame a random black person in another country for the nbn being poo poo

:australia:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

rear end frog posted:

lol did you just blame a random black person in another country for the nbn being poo poo

I 100% approve of this if you get a white South African on the phone.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Off shore call centre consultants get in serious poo poo if they go off script, actually. Don't be hating on them just for trying not to get fired.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I made a man at AGL sad a few weeks ago because they wouldn't meet me halfway on a thousand dollar bill caused by a faulty water heater. It was the sixth call I'd had to them and they kept offering me stupid discounts instead of just giving me some grace on that one bill. I remember when I sold phones we would give people half their data and poo poo off because they hosed up, but an essential service just says "gently caress you and die, I don't care if you can't afford it" until you cancel the service and they go "woah hold on now, would you like an incredible 44% off your bill (does not discount supply charges that constitute 70% of monthly bill)".

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 6, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

goddammit, I dont wanna go to loving telstra they're the worst. :( or at least whenever I had to get any lines hooked up.

even if I do switch that still leaves me with no internet til I'm hooked up because you cant just call in anymore as a backup.

gently caress the nbn

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 6, 2018

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

rear end frog posted:

No.

I made a comment about repeating tests 5 times when dealing with an agent from iiNets South Africa call centre whose name I still remember.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

goddammit, I dont wanna go to loving telstra they're the worst. :( or at least whenever I had to get any lines hooked up.

even if I do switch that still leaves me with no internet til I'm hooked up because you cant just call in anymore as a backup.

gently caress the nbn

I don't know how many times ITT and the last 3 we're going to recommend Aussie Broadband but maybe if I do it one more time you might loving listen :P

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

Going through both Telstra and NBN co for my in-laws and it's nothing more than a confusing world of pain, where each side has hosed up but are blaming the other.

The best part is where they have had to have new copper run down from the pit and I asked the NBN guy why they would do this and not just run fibre in these cases, he said well you can but how much money have you got, I asked out of interest what would it cost and was advised he cannot tell me the inflated or "actual" cost as it would put his job in jeopardy. So my assumption is the actual cost would be equal or less than new copper line but charged at such a rate no-one would bother unless you are able to eat the cost, which explains how Malcolm got his fibre line into point piper.

Edit: I did advise Aussie but was rebuffed due to a requirement of a fax line and number still being connected at their house which my father in law was convinced no-one else could provide. I tried offering eFax options etc but he was stuck in his ways. Hence Telstra.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 6, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Dimebag posted:

Going through both Telstra and NBN co for my in-laws and it's nothing more than a confusing world of pain, where each side has hosed up but are blaming the other.

The best part is where they have had to have new copper run down from the pit and I asked the NBN guy why they would do this and not just run fibre in these cases, he said well you can but how much money have you got, I asked out of interest what would it cost and was advised he cannot tell me the inflated or "actual" cost as it would put his job in jeopardy. So my assumption is the actual cost would be equal or less than new copper line but charged at such a rate no-one would bother unless you are able to eat the cost, which explains how Malcolm got his fibre line into point piper.

Point Piper's on HFC, he just got it 9 months before anyone else on the street will. In 9 months time when the rest of the street jumps on and the speeds drop through the floor, then he'll probably have Fibre to the Home put in.

NBN Co claim the lead in from the pit to the premises costs about 20% of the entire connection from the exchange or POI back (not sure which). I assume a lot of this is to do with installing the poo poo in people's houses, having to work to schedule, dealing with out of date cable records and potentially moving the point of termination as in a lot of cases it's not in an appropriate spot. I.E. new NBN FTTN installations were typically done in the garage.

The game plan for the near future is to move to FTTC, which involves a fibre run to the pit out front of your house, which is still $$ but less of a pain because they can just do a whole bunch without entering the property; and then they install a VDSL or G.Fast box in the pit, which is powered by the modem or similar end point device down the phone line. As we're talking about <90M of copper, you can basically get gigabit Ethernet performance, and the latency drops way down from VDSL to the node.

It's still not ideal, and the first year or two under the Coalition at least will still be capped at 100/40 - but there's a much simpler upgrade path than VDSL.

HFC can technically do gigabit via the DOCSIS 3.1 standard, but by all accounts the networks weren't maintained well and that'll probably end up being a clusterfuck.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been with them for 15 years and its just sad how they've fallen over. :(

can I even transfer my provider if they've hosed up the line right now wha tht ehell

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also if you're not watching us politics right now one of trumps ex advisors is melting down publically on tv

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've been with them for 15 years and its just sad how they've fallen over. :(

can I even transfer my provider if they've hosed up the line right now wha tht ehell

If you're not getting the support and responsiveness you think you should be getting, it's time to call the TIO.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

also if you're not watching us politics right now one of trumps ex advisors is melting down publically on tv

This is a very nice meltdown.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don't care if it ain't the mooch

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Malcolm Turnbull is preparing to argue that 30 negative successive Newspolls should not be reason enough to question his leadership because that was not the only reason he moved against Tony Abbott.

With the Coalition now trailing Labor in 28 successive fortnightly Newspolls under Mr Turnbull's leadership, the Prime Minister will contend he has delivered on other promises he made at the time which included restoring business confidence and economic leadership.

Mr Abbott said on Monday that it was up to Mr Turnbull to explain why the metric of 30 negative Newspolls that was used to get rid of him in 2015 should not also apply to his successor.

"It was the Prime Minister who set this test and, I guess if he fails the test, it will be the Prime Minister who will have to explain why the test was right for one and not right for the other," Mr Abbott told 2GB radio.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Pinball Jizzard posted:

No.

I made a comment about repeating tests 5 times when dealing with an agent from iiNets South Africa call centre whose name I still remember.

I bet the unions are to blame for this.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

loving NBN

god drat loving nbn

loving nbn

I saw you complaining about this in yospos and I was going to ask if it was NBN, but I figured the question was redundant.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yes Abbott and Joyce are going to start firing broadsides at 30 newspolls. I wonder if Joyce would hire me since I assume he has no staff. I'd just like to write him one speech where his parting statement is "what's more embarrassing, having a baby with a staff member, destroying your marriage and alienating you children then claiming it isn't yours weeks after announcing that you love and adore this staffer, or losing 30 newspolls in a row? I think we all know."

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I have no idea why you guys don't just call the Ombudsman over this horseshit. The internet just dropping the gently caress out for days at a time is not acceptable in this day and age.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Nothing makes auspol madder than the internet being unreliable lmao

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Speaking of America, the Department of Defence is so insinuated into the entertainment industry it collaborates with Ellen

http://www.dodlive.mil/2018/02/28/how-why-the-defense-department-works-with-hollywood/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Dalrymple/status/970822229398257664

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Endman posted:

guillotine

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Endman posted:

actually you’re posts

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Endman posted:

single issue voters

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Also walmart produced a Very Special Episode of Sesame Street about how Elmo's dad, a muppet, had to leave to fight for his country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bK2ayZIBo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Please take it to whirlpool, where you all undoubtedly have accounts, this is the Barnaby tea towel cum poncho thread.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Cartoon world

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Please take it to whirlpool, where you all undoubtedly have accounts, this is the Barnaby tea towel cum poncho thread.

I think you mean "whingepool".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

what in the world

• Locked thread