Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Boner Wad posted:

Speaking of old iMacs, I have a Late 2012 21.5" that has always been a little slow, mainly on opening apps. Once things are open it runs pretty well though. I bought it refurbished via the Apple Store. It still has the original 1TB spindle disk in it, I'm tempted to swap it for a newer SSD and upgrade the RAM while I'm in there, but I'd rather not if I don't need to. Any known issues with the Late 2012s that would explain why apps and startup takes forever? Is it worthwhile to upgrade?

As everyone else is saying, you need to trade up to an SSD; that drive is likely more than five years old and dying.

There's no known 'issues' about this model, other than the fact it's been rigged to only recognize a maximum of 16 GB of RAM.

Also, you need to buy a special adapter for any non-Apple SSD you decide to put in there. Here's one:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD12/

Oh yeah, you'll also need to buy a kit with a pizza wheel cutter and adhesive strips to open and put it back together.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/iMac-Intel-21-5-Inch-2012-2017-Adhesive-Strips/IF173-005-1

Yes, glue is what holds your display in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know a lot of rumors sites say there won’t be any major changes to MBPs in 2018, but what’s the likelihood we’ll see Vega M graphics? Does Intel’s new CPU/GPU meet Apple’s power requirements for the 13” and 15” models? They really should release a cheaper 15” model without the touchbar.

I plan on picking up whatever they eventually release during their back to school promo - I’m still using a 2010 MacBook Air that’s ready to be retired.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 3, 2018

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I doubt it very much but if I can prove to Apple that I own an iMac pro will they sell me the Magic Trackpad after the fact?

B&H had the 8core 64gb ram 16gb ATI at $500 off as long as you only got mouse and keyboard. With free shipping and no tax (because I’m not in their states) that’s like a $1100 Magic Trackpad.

What would be sweet is when you register the iMac they have an accessory store where you can order a limited number of replacements every X years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Are you talking about this: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ2R2LL/A/magic-trackpad-2?fnode=56

Or do you specifically mean the space grey one that matches the iMac pro? If so I’d probably just try to find someone reselling it or check the Apple refurb site from time to time.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mahoning posted:

Are you talking about this: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ2R2LL/A/magic-trackpad-2?fnode=56

Or do you specifically mean the space grey one that matches the iMac pro? If so I’d probably just try to find someone reselling it or check the Apple refurb site from time to time.

I mean the space grey one. I’m aware of the alternative means to get one but the prices aren’t reasonable.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

:words:
They really should release a cheaper 15” model without the touchbar.
:words:

They won’t. No one except goons and redditors sperging give a poo poo about the touchbar being there - also, I don’t know why they’d ditch the dGPU - the whole form factor was designed with it in mind.

You might get one the next time they redesign in 2027.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It appears that Apple is updating the keyboards on 2016 MacBook Pros that go out for repair. My buddy sent his out for a logic board and top case replacement and it came back with an updated key design. I’ve never heard of this happening.

Old:

New:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 6, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

To me, it means a bunch of idiots are going to complain that the control key is broken because the caret doesn't appear.

The 'alt' to me is a PC/Windows convention, not a Mac convention so I'm not sad to see it go.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was told I’d be getting a 2017 top case when I sent it in for a speaker replacement. I still haven’t gotten around to it because I need this poo poo for work, but yeah.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So those are the updated butterflies?

I won't have to explain what that character on the option key is to people now

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

They won’t. No one except goons and redditors sperging give a poo poo about the touchbar being there - also, I don’t know why they’d ditch the dGPU - the whole form factor was designed with it in mind.

You might get one the next time they redesign in 2027.

I'm just sick of the base model 15" costing $2400. They used to sell a base model for $2000.

I intend on doing UI/UX design work on it, but there's no way I can justify $400-$600 more for just for a bigger display.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 6, 2018

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm just sick of the base model 15" costing $2400. They used to sell a base model for $2000.

I intend on doing UI/UX design work on it, but there's no way I can justify $400-$600 more for just for a bigger display.

Agreed. I think your grump is justified. Didn't mean for previous statement to be dismissive.

That being said, from a manufacturing standpoint, I just don't see the benefit for a non-dGPU version. Over time, models have come down as the form factor has been around a while, so in a year we might see some drops in the lower end models. Someone posted a nice graph in the past about that but now I can't seem to find it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Agreed. I think your grump is justified. Didn't mean for previous statement to be dismissive.

That being said, from a manufacturing standpoint, I just don't see the benefit for a non-dGPU version. Over time, models have come down as the form factor has been around a while, so in a year we might see some drops in the lower end models. Someone posted a nice graph in the past about that but now I can't seem to find it.

I just don’t see why they’d continue to include dGPUs in a laptop when the Vega non-dGPUs will likely continue to be better (and possibly more efficient) than any Apple dGPU would put in their laptops.

Benchmarks have been insanely impressive: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Early...s.279332.0.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm a huge fan of the iGPU 15" Pro

B&H has the 2015 and 2016 15" base models for 1799 and 1899 respectively
Check the Apple refurb store, too

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

So those are the updated butterflies?
Presumably yes, since it’s the entire top case.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I didn't realize the new keyboards (including Magic Keyboard) had the symbols for Option and Control and now I want one. :( I still haven't solidly committed which is which to memory.

Maybe I should sell my Magic Keyboard and get one of the new ones with numpad...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I didn't realize the new keyboards (including Magic Keyboard) had the symbols for Option and Control and now I want one. :( I still haven't solidly committed which is which to memory.

Maybe I should sell my Magic Keyboard and get one of the new ones with numpad...

I’m coveting the poo poo out of that Matias keyboard posted a few posts ago.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does the new magic keyboard send keystrokes over the USB cable if plugged in that way? For boot up poo poo and other rando stuff like plugging into devices without BT? No backlight on these either right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Does the new magic keyboard send keystrokes over the USB cable if plugged in that way? For boot up poo poo and other rando stuff like plugging into devices without BT?
Yes.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

quote:

New:

Ooh cool Apple is actually doing a thing I though would be good and useful. I hope the shift keys, tab and delete get appropriate icons to match those in use in MacOS menus as well.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I just don’t see why they’d continue to include dGPUs in a laptop when the Vega non-dGPUs will likely continue to be better (and possibly more efficient) than any Apple dGPU would put in their laptops.

You’re right that there’s no reason, but what you might not get, if relying on things like that badly written and confusing article, is that this product actually is a kind of dGPU. There’s still a GPU silicon die sourced from AMD, there’s still separate DRAM die for video memory, the only novel thing is that to save space (and a small amount of power) the Intel CPU, AMD GPU, and graphics memory are all assembled into a single compact multichip package. As a whole this module is significantly larger than a traditional CPU package, but at the same time smaller (and easier to cool) than that plus a traditional dGPU package. That’s why performance is so good: it is a repackaged dGPU.

As such, unfortunately, this isn’t going to improve your chances at a $2k entry level 15”. It’s a better way for Apple to make a high end config, not a cheaper replacement for dGPUs. (Might be more expensive than the old way: it relies on a brand new Intel packaging technology that probably hasn’t come down in price yet.) If Apple does a $2k 15” model again, it’s more likely they’ll use an Intel Iris Pro iGPU.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It appears that Apple is updating the keyboards on 2016 MacBook Pros that go out for repair. My buddy sent his out for a logic board and top case replacement and it came back with an updated key design. I’ve never heard of this happening.

Old:

New:

Did he drop a breadcrumb under a key or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The last year of Apple care on my 2016 I'm just going to eat the crustiest, toastiest sandwiches I can get using my MBP as a placemat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MacRumors says there will be a Macbook Air update. If they upgrade the display and leave the keyboard alone I'm grabbing that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

MacRumors says there will be a Macbook Air update. If they upgrade the display and leave the keyboard alone I'm grabbing that.

Just don't see where it would fit in between the 12" and the 13" nTB

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

They’re talking about making it even cheaper. A sub-$1,000 Mac. So it would simply be an even cheaper entry level Mac. Which is good because the prices for the 12” MacBooks are stupid.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mahoning posted:

They’re talking about making it even cheaper. A sub-$1,000 Mac. So it would simply be an even cheaper entry level Mac. Which is good because the prices for the 12” MacBooks are stupid.

They also suggest TB3 and a retina display which makes no sense at all. It's either going to stay as the cheapest price of admission for those willing to accept a (relatively) poo poo tier display and an outdated chipset, i.e. the equivalent of iPhone 6S/SE and 'an iPhone for every price point' or fall in line with the already punchy-priced range of Apple notebooks.

The former scenario is far more likely as it seems like it'll ship more units.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Maybe they'll go ARM with a 13" Air and have something dumb like 24 hour battery life.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I want more mac mini models.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

Mahoning posted:

A sub-$1,000 Mac.

:mmmhmm:

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Black or white polycarbonate case, dimensions like the 2012 13" rMBP with room for a USB-A port. That would make a solid entry level machine and leave the ultraportable market to the 12". Come to think about it, it'd also help with rising metal prices.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
A new plasticbook for $800 MSRP with the shittiest TN screens they can find. It would sell like hotcakes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The new MacBook Pro/Air, with an “edge to edge” screen and an iPhone X notch.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The MacBook PrAir, with wireless keyboard, battery, and screen.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

My favorite was sitting in a stall at work and the COO took the stall next to me, and under the partition I could see him put his iPhone on the floor between his feet, right in the splashdown zone. That's incomprehensible to me.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I just put my phone in the toilet and piss directly on it while on a call

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

Pivo posted:

I just put my phone in the toilet and piss directly on it while on a call

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No but serious those work environments sound awful. Not only would IT be pissed if I took their poo poo in a public pisser, I can’t imagine a scenario that I couldn’t excuse myself.

Like I get salty when my VPN cert expires so I can’t check up on my stuff at 8pm but no one asks me to.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sounds more like your phone is what's getting salty. :piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
My 2011 iMac 27" has a failing super drive. Any slim sata slot load drive will work in it right? Like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UJ267-SATA-Slot-in-Blu-ray-rewritable-BD-RW-drive-with-9-5mm-thickness/173168959805

Yes I know that seller is in china but I couldn't find any US sellers for slim slot load BD drives that isn't charging a gently caress ton.