Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If it's just temporary, leave it as-is. The water isn't going anywhere.

If it's going to be more permanent, mop the water up first, then tile with Igneous Rock or Obsidian. Don't use sandstone or sedentary rock (they will crumble under the weight), and granite has decor uses instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

insta posted:

If it's just temporary, leave it as-is. The water isn't going anywhere.

If it's going to be more permanent, mop the water up first, then tile with Igneous Rock or Obsidian. Don't use sandstone or sedentary rock (they will crumble under the weight), and granite has decor uses instead.

Sandstone tiles will break from water pressure? Good to know. What about a 2 thick layer, I assume that would be safe?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
According to the Klei forums, where people have been doing experiments on it, the tiles will break when the liquid mass above it exceeds a certain threshold. The tiles will begin taking "pressure damage" and eventually shatter, releasing all the water.

Sandstone breaks at 1050kg, igneous rock 1100kg, granite 1150. Water gets +10lbs heavier per tile of water above it, so sandstone can hold 5 deep, igneous rock 10 deep, granite 15.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
In other "absurd priority settings" news, I discovered while making a water tank that dupes will happily wait until they're 10 tiles underwater to pull out food to eat. They'll then stay there eating as their oxygen bar slowly ticks down.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Be careful if you have narcoleptics. I sent one to investigate some slimelung infested ruins and they fell asleep in the ruins and contracted a (thankfully non lethal) infection. That may have been a desirable trait a year ago or whatever but I think the upsides got patched out, since I never managed to get them to stay awake overnight even with beds unaccessible.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ambaire posted:

Be careful if you have narcoleptics. I sent one to investigate some slimelung infested ruins and they fell asleep in the ruins and contracted a (thankfully non lethal) infection. That may have been a desirable trait a year ago or whatever but I think the upsides got patched out, since I never managed to get them to stay awake overnight even with beds unaccessible.

Yeah, I instantly realized the downside of Narcolepsy is that this is a Lemming Farm simulator and there woudl be no checks for "is in mortal peril", though to be fair you don't get to chose when you sleep with real life narcolepsy from what I understand. However it's something I can generally control by Locking loving Doors. Unlike Flatulence which slowly poisons the base, or Bottomless Stomach which empties out your precious food stores (probably okay later but holy poo poo that's bad at the start).

As a side note, polluted water turns all gas that touches it into polluted water, right? So any CO2 or Chlorine or what have you will (very slowly) convert itself to basically oxygen if I've got it over dirty water?

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 3, 2018

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
e2. welp. I just discovered the 'toggle work errands' section of the job interface. ... holy gently caress.

I wish this game had dwarf fortress - style job management. I want to tell my miners to stay off the loving manual generators and keep mining but I don't care if anyone else uses them. Ditto for food production and anything else really. I suppose I could bypass this with dedicated miners and max out the priority for mining but sometimes I want to let a dupe closer mine something else.

DF-style job management and job priorities, yeah, that would be nice. Make miner dupes mine stuff but if something closer and small scale needs done, let a dupe closer do it.

e. Well, this is interesting. A slime place with polluted oxygen that isn't full of slimelung germs. I had thought that air in contact with slime got infected but I guess not. Still have yet to do anything with slime but maybe this colony will go for long enough. I keep restarting...

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 3, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Alkydere posted:

As a side note, polluted water turns all gas that touches it into polluted water, right? So any CO2 or Chlorine or what have you will (very slowly) convert itself to basically oxygen if I've got it over dirty water?
no, it just produces polluted oxygen.

Ambaire posted:

e. Well, this is interesting. A slime place with polluted oxygen that isn't full of slimelung germs. I had thought that air in contact with slime got infected but I guess not. Still have yet to do anything with slime but maybe this colony will go for long enough. I keep restarting...

germ transmission is about the state of matter. solids to solids, liquids to liquids, gas to gas. slime, when mined, produce polluted oxygen which affects other gasses. the only way i've seen slime lung get into water is if steam mixes with polluted oxygen and condenses back into liquid form.

ONI had more specific task settings, reduced them, and now its harder to set task limitations without disallowing too many tasks. operate controls using manual generators and any other machine.

temple fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 3, 2018

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I think I found some sort of weird bug here. I'm trying to set up 'renewable' oxygen production via 3 electrolyzers and 3 hydrogen generators. I'm in the process of hooking these 3 gas pumps up to pipe oxygen out and I noticed a rapid drop in temperature here. I have loving liquid oxygen in an area that was formerly 30C+. And it keeps getting colder. WTF

e. temp stabilized around the dew point of oxygen. it's ~-150C around the left pump, -130 to -120C around the right two, and -80 to -30 above. how is this even possible. I made a save, going to start up the pumps and see what happens.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 3, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The only thing I can think of is when you reduce a gas's pressure you also cool it down. So...something about the pump system you made, with the fixed temperature of the electrolizer outputs and the hilariously insulation values of abyssalyte preventing more heat from getting end meant you managed to constantly keep reducing the gas's pressure you also kept cooling it?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Alkydere posted:

The only thing I can think of is when you reduce a gas's pressure you also cool it down. So...something about the pump system you made, with the fixed temperature of the electrolizer outputs and the hilariously insulation values of abyssalyte preventing more heat from getting end meant you managed to constantly keep reducing the gas's pressure you also kept cooling it?

The pumps hadn't been active yet. And that's insulated igneous rock. After I activated the pumps, the temperature started rising again so I don't really know what happened. It was funny, though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

No loving clue then. Though I do like your method of separating the gasses.

Ugh, need to set something like that up but I need to dig out of my starting "temperate" area and I'm always such a huge baby about expanding into other biomes.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Alkydere posted:

No loving clue then. Though I do like your method of separating the gasses.

Ugh, need to set something like that up but I need to dig out of my starting "temperate" area and I'm always such a huge baby about expanding into other biomes.

Hah, I've barely dug out of my starting biome and I'm on cycle 53 with all techs researched. I did get the extra large map, though.. 512x512 tiles, might be a bit too big. I have feelers towards a steam geyser and I got lucky enough to locate the cold biome with an exploratory tunnel.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to access this... and the water is a universal 60C.

Cold biome ahoy.

e. I've almost completely exhausted all algae in my starting biome (1100kg left) so I'm in a bit of a hurry to get some real oxygen production going...

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ambaire posted:

I think I found some sort of weird bug here. I'm trying to set up 'renewable' oxygen production via 3 electrolyzers and 3 hydrogen generators. I'm in the process of hooking these 3 gas pumps up to pipe oxygen out and I noticed a rapid drop in temperature here. I have loving liquid oxygen in an area that was formerly 30C+. And it keeps getting colder. WTF

e. temp stabilized around the dew point of oxygen. it's ~-150C around the left pump, -130 to -120C around the right two, and -80 to -30 above. how is this even possible. I made a save, going to start up the pumps and see what happens.

Probably a bug. I found a similar weird glitch where a gas filter taking 40C gas started outputting at ~2000C for no reason.... then dropped to -200C after I rebuilt the wires/pipes because they immediately melted. (Also this happened with pipes made of igneous rock. And a couple of other people reported bugs of pipes randomly breaking, so maybe there's a roundoff/dividebyzero/overflow arithmetic error in heat transfer calculations.)

Alkydere posted:

Your science holds no power here.

Ambaire posted:

Hah, I've barely dug out of my starting biome and I'm on cycle 53 with all techs researched. I did get the extra large map, though.. 512x512 tiles, might be a bit too big. I have feelers towards a steam geyser and I got lucky enough to locate the cold biome with an exploratory tunnel.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to access this... and the water is a universal 60C.

The way I've handled steam/gas geysers is to dig/construct a chamber with all the pumps/airlocks/wires/pipes and leave a single tile to dig out, then breach the cavity after everything is set up not to require sending anyone back inside.

Exposure to unpleasant temperatures/pressures won't kill duplicants as long as they don't stick around for too long... but just have a barebones medbay to heal the HP damage in case they get a face full of steam at the wrong moment (you should have this anyway because it's cheap and dupes get damaged by a number of things, and the 'wounded' debuffs are inconvenient)

...and make sure the airlocks are set to let everyone out and nobody in, so they don't keep running back in there to grab a random rock.

If you're concerned about heat leaking into your base, use double-airlocks with a remote-switched gas pump to vacuum out all the air.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

here's my automated sleet wheat farm.
https://imgur.com/a/OvqGU

im still going to do a water sterilization system but i'm waiting on plastic and fixing my water cooling.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
So I got the bright idea to raid an ice biome for ice to melt for water to help alleviate a slight water shortage. The only problem is.. how do I go about melting it? I have a storage compactor sitting over my water storage with 15 tons of ice at -30C. I suppose I could just dump the ice in the water storage and wait for it to melt?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ambaire posted:

So I got the bright idea to raid an ice biome for ice to melt for water to help alleviate a slight water shortage. The only problem is.. how do I go about melting it? I have a storage compactor sitting over my water storage with 15 tons of ice at -30C. I suppose I could just dump the ice in the water storage and wait for it to melt?

Yeah too much together melts too slowly, I typically just make ice statues placed above the water tank.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

:siren:horny aliens on the TL repeat horny aliens on the TL:siren:

quote:

Ranching Upgrade Mark I
New Ranching Gameplay
New Rancher job
Critter wrangling
Critter needs and conditions
Critter reproduction (Eggs!)
Critter Feeders
Grooming Stations
Incubators
Critter relocation buildings now lower tech

Info Database screen
Extended descriptions for many entries

Errand Priorities screen
Added more controls for job prioritization
Renamed errand priority "Urgency" to distinguish from individual Duplicant priorities
Added optional auto-prioritization for job-related errands

New geyser types
More geysers in each new world
Variable outputs and dormancy cycles

Mark I? What does that mean?
Due to changes to the underlying systems that controlled the creatures, we are spreading this feature over two updates. Next Upgrade (Ranching Upgrade Mark II) will also have a lot of critter content as we complete our plans for these features.
of course after spending a week automating my base, new patch.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ambaire posted:

Maybe the door does it? Those things can be used to do strange things with temperature and pressure. Check if it's the coldest thing there

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Ranching is really good. I'm only farming Hatches right now but for the price of one dupe going in and grooming them once a cycle you get to turn otherwise useless minerals into coal and eggs. Hatches pop out an egg every 5 cycles, one egg can be turned into an omelette worth 2800 kcal so 5 hatches can almost feed 3 dupes. Once you get an incubator or two you can just keep tacking on more and more hatches and keep boosting your production. Minerals are effectively infinite and grooming doesn't take long so feeding an entire colony on nothing but Hatch omelettes is pretty viable, plus you get free coal. Omelettes are +2 quality food which is enough to satisfy even a tier 6 dupe. The only real problem is the long startup cost, ranching is an upgrade from the basic farmer job and you don't get squat until you have a rancher, plus it takes a while to build up the population. It's well worth it though.

Oh and also the dupes take off their lil hats and put them down next to their bunks while they sleep now :3:

e: ok the steam geyser changes are kinda... not great right now

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 10, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Trying out the ranching update and...it's a wee bit buried at the moment (and seems to want "tenured scientists") but I got a "Liquid CO2 Geyser"

I suspect if I keep with this asteroid I'll never have to worry about cooling.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 11, 2018

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holy crap, liquid CO2? Nice.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I mean it makes NO SENSE chemically (you need pressures above 5 atmospheres to make CO2 become a liquid, otherwise it just transitions between solid and gas) but it's pretty nice game-wise.

Not so useful is the 2x chlorine fumaroles on the map since there's really no point to chlorine, at least in those quantities. Hopefully these sources of chemicals means there's gonna be some proper chemistry added soon-ish.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, wouldn't liquid methane be more common?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Alkydere posted:

I mean it makes NO SENSE chemically (you need pressures above 5 atmospheres to make CO2 become a liquid, otherwise it just transitions between solid and gas) but it's pretty nice game-wise.

Not so useful is the 2x chlorine fumaroles on the map since there's really no point to chlorine, at least in those quantities. Hopefully these sources of chemicals means there's gonna be some proper chemistry added soon-ish.

How is it handled if the co2 heats up inside the pipe to the point it reverts to a gas? Just gas coming out the outflow or something else? I haven't run across one yet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

How is it handled if the co2 heats up inside the pipe to the point it reverts to a gas? Just gas coming out the outflow or something else? I haven't run across one yet.

I honestly have no idea. I suspect gasses/liquids basically phase transition until they leave the pipe or duct.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Gadzuko posted:

not really sure but frozen water still flows but the pipe breaks.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rancher stuff is fun but be wary it's super crashy, I've never even seen this crash before but something is quite unstable at the moment.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I haven’t had it crash on me apart from bases falling apart as soon as a dupe makes a mess that ends up in the water supply. I might need to tweak my airlock design out of the base a bit cause I try to make my water supply neat looking at the very bottom of the base. It’s also super hard to run a 4 dupe base now that jobs are a thing. 6 seems like the minimum to get everything done

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gadzuko posted:

phases changing inside pipes just breaks the pipe and drops the contents

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Gadzuko posted:

Breaks the pipe and leaks contents where it's broken, CO2 has a pretty narrow liquid phase so piping it through heat conductive pipes will not work too great. Still pretty handy to transfer heat into it and then feed it to slicksters or carbon skimmers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Speedball posted:

Yeah, wouldn't liquid methane be more common?

I suspect they didn't want to give you a liquid that's too useful. Carbon dioxide is waste so there's tradeoffs to using it for cooling.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I would guess that eggs might get nerfed a bit. They provide a lot of food for little effort once you've got a rancher, and it's high quality food too.

Edit: Also, I'm hoping that the new geysers get uh...fixed. Their active and dormant periods are too drat long by far, and this hot steam fumarole is emitting...not at all steam. It's downright tepid.

Slime fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 13, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

yeah these new geysers kinda suck.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So they nerfed eggs, takes 5 hatches to feed 1 person and you can only keep 8 in a 96 tile stables now, they took it way too far.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hahaha that’s pretty worthless unless you just have one dupe that’s the king and must be fed only omelets.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

what happens if you feed a slickster 1 g/s of co2 for 5 cycles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EEmzx4s7wI

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

So they nerfed eggs, takes 5 hatches to feed 1 person and you can only keep 8 in a 96 tile stables now, they took it way too far.

How many hatches did you need to feed per person before so we can get a reference for how much it was nerfed?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

temple posted:

what happens if you feed a slickster 1 g/s of co2 for 5 cycles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EEmzx4s7wI
Is the slickster OK :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003