Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
He just did it again in the background while Kimmel was introducing Mary J Blige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Screw the haters, I adore LMM

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tears In A Vial posted:

it's four sherlock holmes's trying to work out which is the real sherlock holmes

I would still love this.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dolash posted:

He seems to have to stop the action a lot to exposit or explain, there's a lot of mechanics and setting details to introduce all at once considering the gang has to keep track of it all to solve a murder. I think Amnesty may have done a better job pacing out that worldbuilding

???????????????????

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

???????????????????

please forgive Dolash, for he is from the Backwards Land of Bad Roleplayers

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I would still love this.

yeah me too. Give me one goof-heavy mini arc please.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I might have found a Dark Creature at ECCC

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain Capacitor posted:

I might have found a Dark Creature at ECCC

My God....she's beautiful.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Supercar Gautier posted:

???????????????????

I stand by it. One example was when Justin cracked a joke about the victim's ghost being behind the sheriff and Travis had to stop the scene to provide all the background for "The Law". It kind of sucked the energy out of that conversation, and the next line afterward was Griffin asking when he'll have to hang Dylan and Travis seemed to give an unrelated expository answer about the tenuous peace when something a little more concrete like "I can keep a lid on it till 8 but if a mob starts we might be hanging Dylan by noon" would be more useful.

A lot of people give Griffin stick for the slow burn of Amnesty and all his narration, but I think it did a better job of showing rather than telling most of the important setting details and things about different characters rather than having to explain a bunch of backstory manually. When Duck met the Sylvane cop, they managed to convey most of what we needed to learn through natural interactions. I know this read goes against the thread consensus on both episodes but that's how I see it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Dolash posted:

A lot of people give Griffin stick for the slow burn of Amnesty and all his narration, but I think it did a better job of showing rather than telling most of the important setting details and things about different characters rather than having to explain a bunch of backstory manually. When Duck met the Sylvane cop, they managed to convey most of what we needed to learn through natural interactions. I know this read goes against the thread consensus on both episodes but that's how I see it.

????????????????????????????

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think the difference is that Griffin gives the backstory of the land unprovoked, and rolls it into his monologue. Travis is bringing it up as it starts to pertain to the story. So when someone is asking about the law, that is when it will be described.

One makes it take a while for the action to start, and one potentially breaks up some action while getting it going a bit quicker. I like the way Travis is doing it, honestly, but also don't necessarily dislike that way Griffin did it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

See, what I find contradictory is: you say it's jarring that Dust has exposition that momentarily interrupts the gameplay, but Amnesty is wall-to-wall exposition with no gameplay at all.

A brief, relevant infodump in response to something a player says/does is much better GMing than a lengthy series of monologues that leave the player with no agency.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Supercar Gautier posted:

See, what I find contradictory is: you say it's jarring that Dust has exposition that momentarily interrupts the gameplay, but Amnesty is wall-to-wall exposition with no gameplay at all.

A brief, relevant infodump in response to something a player says/does is much better GMing than a lengthy series of monologues that leave the player with no agency.

You can't interrupt the flow of the game if there is no game.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

What I wanted to get across about what irked me about Amnesty wasn't "it's all a conspiracy by griff to steal the show", but exactly the lack of a game under all the exposition. I would gladly listen to Griffin's Audio Novel Zone but when I dial into TAZ, I am hungry for those boys to get up to some hijinks together, not non-stop one-on-one sessions unfolding a background that would really be better told in and alongside the action. Travis' way of handling things and explaining the rules as they go feels like we're again listening in to an actual gaming session where players weave the story and game together by interaction and I am glad for that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think Griffin's strongest work in Balance was The Eleventh Hour, because it involved the right kind of thorough planning. You want to know your scenario inside and out so that you're equipped with a suitable response to anything the players might do, but you don't want to have such an exhaustive and unshakable plan that the players have no space to play.

Dust seems to follow a system that's like Eleventh Hour minus the looping-- Travis knows what's going on in each part of the town in each hour, but is leaving it up to the players which parts of that scenario they'll explore. I think it's going to work well.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Even aside from the execution of specific DMs in specific arcs, I'd still be behind Dust because "Werewolf President, Haunted Doll Witch, and Bourgeoisie Ghost solve mysteries in the old west" is a wild enough concept that you can mine it for a long time before it dries out. (like the river. The dry river. The dry river of Dry River)

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 5, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PicklePants posted:

I really enjoyed that Clint seems to be having more fun playing Gandy then he did Ned.

I dig the setting, too. I'd love to do a wild west-ish game.

Check out Breachside Broadcast. It's a biweekly podcast put out by Wyrd Games, the makers of the Malifaux skirmish game and the Through the Breach rpg. They realized newer players didn't have access to the stories and lore from early in the games life since the books are all out of print so they started the podcast up to present the stories as in-universe radio dramas.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Acute Grill posted:

Even aside from the execution of specific DMs in specific arcs, I'd still be behind Dust because "Werewolf President, Haunted Doll Witch, and Bourgeoisie Ghost solve mysteries in the old west" is a wild enough concept that you can mine it for a long time before it dries out. (like the river. The dry river. The dry river of Dry River)

It’s called that because the river is dry

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

But then is it really a river?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stroop There It Is posted:

But then is it really a river?

Yeah, it's a really dry river.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think Griffin's strongest work in Balance was The Eleventh Hour, because it involved the right kind of thorough planning. You want to know your scenario inside and out so that you're equipped with a suitable response to anything the players might do, but you don't want to have such an exhaustive and unshakable plan that the players have no space to play.

Dust seems to follow a system that's like Eleventh Hour minus the looping-- Travis knows what's going on in each part of the town in each hour, but is leaving it up to the players which parts of that scenario they'll explore. I think it's going to work well.

Eleventh Hour is a great example. I agree that Amnesty had problems with Griffin taking the wheel too much, part of which is I think the PBTA System isn't actually a great fit for him (not as a knock on him or the system, just their compatibility), but Eleventh Hour demonstrated both a strength of character and narrative flow as well as enough freedom and flexibility to let the players drive the story on their own.

Travis might have the open adventure scenario part of Eleventh Hour down, but he was a little rougher on execution and presentation. Which is fine, and I do think they'll find their feet in the next couple episodes, but if I had to pick I probably lean more toward radioplay TAZ over actual play TAZ, even if Griffin still needs to rein in some of his railroading impulses.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dolash posted:

Eleventh Hour is a great example. I agree that Amnesty had problems with Griffin taking the wheel too much, part of which is I think the PBTA System isn't actually a great fit for him (not as a knock on him or the system, just their compatibility), but Eleventh Hour demonstrated both a strength of character and narrative flow as well as enough freedom and flexibility to let the players drive the story on their own.

Travis might have the open adventure scenario part of Eleventh Hour down, but he was a little rougher on execution and presentation. Which is fine, and I do think they'll find their feet in the next couple episodes, but if I had to pick I probably lean more toward radioplay TAZ over actual play TAZ, even if Griffin still needs to rein in some of his railroading impulses.

You're the problem.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s called that because the river is dry

It used to be full of water. The town liked water. Then the water stopped flowing. The river dried up.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Dolash posted:

The problem I see with this is that Eleventh Hour and Amnesty are completely unlike one another. I'm expecting some roughness in execution and presentation regardless because these are mini-arcs that don't have nearly the foundation that most of the Balance arcs had. If you removed all the railroading from Amnesty, there'd be almost nothing left at all.

barbecue at the folks posted:

What I wanted to get across about what irked me about Amnesty wasn't "it's all a conspiracy by griff to steal the show", but exactly the lack of a game under all the exposition. I would gladly listen to Griffin's Audio Novel Zone but when I dial into TAZ, I am hungry for those boys to get up to some hijinks together, not non-stop one-on-one sessions unfolding a background that would really be better told in and alongside the action. Travis' way of handling things and explaining the rules as they go feels like we're again listening in to an actual gaming session where players weave the story and game together by interaction and I am glad for that.

:same:

In TTAZZ, I really enjoyed hearing about how much storyline and campaign stuff that Griffin came up with that we never ended up actually seeing due to the choices of the players. With something like Amnesty, I don't think that's even possible anymore – Griffin is writing the story and boxing it in to the degree that there aren't going to be any big story surprises. He's got a story and the characters are sort of there to float around in it, and to sometimes answer yes/no questions or possibly state what they're doing at the beginning of a scene. I remember frowning a bit when they were going through the backstory of Stolen Century and mentioned that they re-recorded one of the Stolen Century planes' stories because they felt like they made the wrong decision and didn't like the outcome. I don't really mind that necessarily, but I think it's an easy trap to fall into and it ends up robbing the fun out of it.

mareep fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 5, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I dunno a lot of this just seems to come from the perspective of caring about these as games.... which I don't. The rules are there to give a bit of direction and framework but I'm here for Griffin's storytelling and the others' goofs. Yeah Amnesty has a lot of setup, but that ended up making it feel the most natural, it actually does feel like one of those shows. And, with the group truly made, any followup to it would obviously feature a lot more active interaction between the crew than the "pilot" did, which would take care of my main issue.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I dunno a lot of this just seems to come from the perspective of caring about these as games.... which I don't. The rules are there to give a bit of direction and framework but I'm here for Griffin's storytelling and the others' goofs. Yeah Amnesty has a lot of setup, but that ended up making it feel the most natural, it actually does feel like one of those shows. And, with the group truly made, any followup to it would obviously feature a lot more active interaction between the crew than the "pilot" did, which would take care of my main issue.

read a book

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's a tabletop podcast. The selling point is that you're tuning in to improvised interactions featuring the McElroys, famous for being funny improvisers. If it were just supposed to be Story Hour, there's choices of medium that are better suited to deliver that, like a novel or audiobook that doesn't have to account for rulesets and player characters.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Welp, didn't think I'd see the day when the Angel of Death is compared to David S. Pumpkins. Dust is neat.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I'm listening to random MBMBAM clips on Youtube, and I just realized naming the music for the climax of Suffering Game 'Arms Outstretched' is also a reference to the Cold Play Live Journal burn.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
hell. if they just did amnesty as a radio play rather than pretending it's them all playing a game it would have probably been more well received.

at least then there wouldn't be an expectation of player agency.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alaois posted:

read a book

let me get right on that while I'm working on the line, jackass

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rodyle posted:

let me get right on that while I'm working on the line, jackass

listen to an audio book

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Alaois posted:

listen to an audio book

He already listened to Amnesty.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MillennialVulcan posted:

He already listened to Amnesty.

eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The great Scott bit is unbelievable

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Maybe if we give Griffin a third chance he’ll end up in the middle of the “start random and back into the plot” that was Balance and the “spend 6 hours laying backstory and future plot hooks” that was Amnesty.

Just let Duck Newton and his talking sword bust a meth lab in the forest Griffin.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
First Duck has to understand WHY he's busting a meth lab by completing a solo mission with a ghost from his past. Lady Flame needs to understand where the meth components are coming from and where the product is being shipped, that's a solo mission with a local citizen acting as a sage guide. Chicane doesn't think Meth actually exists and is pretending to be a 'meth dealer' to sell tickets to his one-man show and accidentally stumbles upon the real meth underground during his solo mission of goofing around.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Whichever game they pick for the next arc, I'm gonna keep listening. But if they pick Amnesty, I may just have to dip out of this thread so I don't have to read literally the same complaints repeated for two years straight.

Though at this point, I expect some of you will continue to make the same posts about Griffin's DMing no matter who's running the next one.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Whichever game they pick for the next arc, I'm gonna keep listening. But if they pick Amnesty, I may just have to dip out of this thread so I don't have to read literally the same complaints repeated for two years straight.

Probably same, but I’ll still be disappointed by the rails every episode that I listen to, because goddammit Griffin is clearly a very smart dude, but he should lay off his vision a tad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

MBMBaM 396: They Can't All Be Winners

Seriously though, I am impressed at how often this show manages to inform me of valuable public services like the Bojangle's valentine generator. You should try it! I did.