Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Lets make a Kickstarter, except we use the money to hire competent people instead of defrauding people.

Pretty sure this is against TOS for Kickstarter.

Re: Andromeda
You know how after putting a dumb amount of time in Skyrim it finally hits you that the game is actually pretty boring?

Imagine that, but after maybe 5 hours max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Skyrim is a pretty good comparison, but it's more like "Imagine if Skyrim had good combat and a decent main plot".

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The biggest problem with Andromeda is that they used Frostbite, so no one can mod it into something that's not exactly fun but will take up time anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I am of the goon hyperbolic opinion that despite this game’s many flaws, it’s easily worth $5. Even if you don’t finish it there’s $5 worth of fun in there

Well it's on sale for double that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Regarding other bioware games, how do Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights hold up? Do they have the typical Bioware style of writing where your character can only seem to be a naive idiot or a Satanic puppy kicker, or was that a result of their writing quirks getting distilled as the company grew older?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
BG is OK, I can't imagine NWN holding up well at all. BG's writing was very well-considered back in the day but it's mostly fairly standard RPG stuff, with the romances being probably more embarassing nerd-fulfillment fantasies than they are now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Well it's on sale for double that.

Still worth it imo

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

If you want to play this for some reason, get Origin Access (or EA Access for the Xbone, no PS4 though) for 5 bucks a month. I think there's a free 1-month trial as well, so you could probably play through the whole thing and then cancel without having to pay anything.

That is, unless you get bored after a couple of hours, which is a fairly likely scenario.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 5, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
ME:A's combat is fine, it's basically ME3's with the added use of the jetpack/biotic jump, but with fewer powers available to you at any one time.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

BG is OK, I can't imagine NWN holding up well at all. BG's writing was very well-considered back in the day but it's mostly fairly standard RPG stuff, with the romances being probably more embarassing nerd-fulfillment fantasies than they are now.

NWN1 doesn't hold up well. Neither does base NWN2, but Mask Of The Betrayer is very good. Of course, that's Obsidian, not Bioware.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kurieg posted:

but with fewer powers available to you at any one time.

Isn't that a big deal? Or not in practice?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rinkles posted:

Isn't that a big deal? Or not in practice?

It can be, in practice it means you build one workhorse build and just accept that if you need something more specialized you're going to be spending the downtime between swapping sets humping cover.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It never really bothered me. Considering the trade off is “you can respec into whatever you want for a modest fee” I thought it was worth it.

Though I guess gibbed save editor let you do it for free in me2/3.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Regarding other bioware games, how do Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights hold up? Do they have the typical Bioware style of writing where your character can only seem to be a naive idiot or a Satanic puppy kicker, or was that a result of their writing quirks getting distilled as the company grew older?
BG1 is pretty painful to play nowadays. Low-level AD&D 2e combat, with the added fun of random weapon breaking. BG2 starts and a higher level, and is generally a lot more playable, so long as you really like mage puzzle combat (first I cast a spell to remove his protection from my other spells, then I cast a spell to remove his protection from physical attacks, then I cast a spell to remove his mirror images...). The writing in BG2 is generally serviceable, but aided by some really strong voice acting on the part of the main villain. BG2 is also where they started doing romantic dialogue between PC and companions, most of which have some level of awkwardness to them but at least there's no "give them gifts until they gently caress you" mechanics or anything.

NWN1's main campaign was never any good. The real meat of the game was the toolset that it came with and the online experience.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

BG1 is incredibly bad. BG2 is also bad but at least somewhat playable.
NWN1's expansions and all of NWN2 except storm of zehir is good.
NWN1's original campaign is kinda meh, but it's still better than BG.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
NWN2 is a clunky, ugly, and surprisingly-charming-despite-being-set-in-and-around-Neverwinter game. I ultimately enjoyed it, but there's a lot not to enjoy about it. It is perhaps most noteworthy for having three different camera systems, all of which are simultaneously the worst camera ever.

Mask of the Betrayer is very good, but a harder thing to skip to without playing the main game than BG2 without playing BG1.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ooh, film grain is back. (trying the trial)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Well, it depends. I personally think the BG2 romances -- Jaheira, at least, maybe Viconia but certainly not Aerie -- are better than anything Bioware did later. Even if it's just because the characters in BG2 feel like they have more agency and it's possible to fail the romance plots by doing the wrong thing and saying the wrong thing, which you can't really do in any later game.

BG2's writing is still pretty decent by CRPG standards. BG1 not so much. NWN1 is pretty dang bad and I think NWN2 suffers from being notably incomplete.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Are all of these intro cinematics unskippable?

E: at least not that long

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Game's real pretty at some points.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Game's real pretty at some points.

Yeah, as long as you aren't looking at any non-humans directly in the face, you can't really fault the graphics on this one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, as long as you aren't looking at any non-humans directly in the face, you can't really fault the graphics on this one.

Yes, close ups ruin the illusion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mymla posted:

MEA is about on par with ME3, but without the magnificently bad ending. Definitely better than ME1.

kys

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The environment art is AAA level and those artists deserve to be scooped up by a better studio. This is p much the only thing I post about in this thread.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mymla posted:

MEA is about on par with ME3, but without the magnificently bad ending. Definitely better than ME1.

"this game that killed a beloved franchise is better than the one that created one" -- a goon, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Actually the human faces look pretty bad too come to think of it

Default dad Ryder looks alright. He should have been the protagonist

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

"this game that killed a beloved franchise is better than the one that created one" -- a goon, 2018

When was the last time you played ME1? The game aged like milk, and andromeda is better than it in every single way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Honestly I feel like the primary point of contention is that Andromeda's main combat gameplay is flat out better than 1's even with all the stupid encounter design decisions, but Andromeda is the game where doing side-quests feels directly like a punishment for some unknown cosmic sin you've committed. Whether you think Andromeda is better than 1 probably comes down to whether mediocre combat or terrible arbitrary feeling quests offends you more.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Doing side-quests were directly a punishment in ME1, too.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
it's well known bioware can't do combat

see: dragon age inquisition, the game that looked at korean F2P MMOs from the early 2000s and went "yeah that's our combat system right there"

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

it's well known bioware can't do combat

see: dragon age inquisition, the game that looked at korean F2P MMOs from the early 2000s and went "yeah that's our combat system right there"

And yet the mass effect series has some of the best third person shooter combat ever.

And DAI also has some of the best party-based RTWP RPG combat. Which isn't exactly the best form of combat, but they did a pretty good job with the system they decided on.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mymla posted:

Doing side-quests were directly a punishment in ME1, too.

I've found that ME1's pretty fun if you just ignore literally all the side poo poo (except the moon mission) and beeline the main story missions. I haven't tried that approach with Andromeda but I'm not optimistic it'd feel too much better

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I do every sidequest on every ME1 playthrough, including the DLC. :unsmigghh: (well, maybe not Pinnacle Station) I do the same with ME2 and 3 as well, but ME1 is my favorite of them all even though it's technically the worst game of the trilogy.

I have no idea why I do all the sidequests, because I'm not a completionist in most games and have absolutely no plans to do a completionist run of Andromeda because gently caress that "fetch ten space bear asses" MMO quest design. As for ME1, I think some of the sidequests in that game are pretty cool (like stumbling on a derelict freighter full of husks, or dealing with the clown college for supervillains that Cerberus was introduced as), and it's mainly the constant reuse of assets and maps that drags that stuff down for me. I'm also one of those broke-brained weirdos who genuinely like the Mako, because there's something really chill about driving that bouncy castle on wheels and trying to scale mountains with it.

Man, now I want to play ME1 yet again. I hope EA/BioWare update the trilogy for the Xbox One X at some point (which I think is more likely than a similar update for Andromeda :v:), because playing the games at 4K and with improved graphics/performance would be cool even though you can already do that on PC.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've found that ME1's pretty fun if you just ignore literally all the side poo poo (except the moon mission) and beeline the main story missions. I haven't tried that approach with Andromeda but I'm not optimistic it'd feel too much better
You can't really avoid all the open world bullshit in Andromeda even if you try to beeline for the story objectives, so I don't think that would work very well.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 6, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would much rather play another 200 hours of Skyrim than another hour of MEA.

It helps Skyrim had good music whereas MEA inexcusably sucks in terms of music, breaking with a three-game long tradition of having amazing soundtracks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mymla posted:

And yet the mass effect series has some of the best third person shooter combat ever.

And DAI also has some of the best party-based RTWP RPG combat. Which isn't exactly the best form of combat, but they did a pretty good job with the system they decided on.

Combat in DAI quickly got pretty tedious.

In comparison breaking the back of DAO’s combat design with magic combos never got old for me.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
At release Mass Effect 1 was 69x the game Mass Effect Andromeda was at it's release

If you ignore the temporal issue and pretend they both just released simultaneously, if you look at story and execution and tone it's maybe 42.0x the game.

ME:A is loving garbage

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

it's really kind of funny to see a very dedicated poster trying out the Andromeda Defense even when MEA has been rightfully torn to pieces and even abandoned by its publisher

like, okay, points for effort and consistency but...

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Mymla posted:

And DAI also has some of the best

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone remember any tricks for squeezing out some extra performance? It's running okay but a bit more eyecandy would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mymla posted:

When was the last time you played ME1? The game aged like milk, and andromeda is better than it in every single way.

I'm always impressed how you constantly have wrong opinions on everything.