Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why wouldn’t they be looking? GOT us wrapping up real soon.

E:Hahaha, I just checked and it looks likely that the entire GOT tv series will have run in the time GRRM takes to write one book. That’s amazing.

I think they have multiple spin-off shows set in the GOT universe planned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Magitek posted:

Oh. Gross.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Just lmfao if you thought HBO wasn’t going to ride the bearded weirdo train as long as they could.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Amazon is doing LotR, some network has Rothfuss' nonsense, HBO has its dragons, who else is looking for a fantasy series?

I always picture fantasy series working best as animation, done by some master like Mahiro Maeda or Watanabe.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Magitek posted:

And they’ll also be done before ASOIAF is.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Here's the guy who says he snapped the photos of The First Law pre-production at Sony, with the photos.

Pretty funny if these are real and he was able to just take them at night:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/7pmnao/possible_proof_of_the_blade_itself_tvfilm/

https://imgur.com/gallery/P5gyS

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Ccs posted:

Here's the guy who says he snapped the photos of The First Law pre-production at Sony, with the photos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/7pmnao/possible_proof_of_the_blade_itself_tvfilm/

oh poo poo this is cool as hell

whatever that stuff is they're writing for Ferro never appeared in any of the books. so presumably they're planning some sort of scenery from before or after the trilogy

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Ccs posted:

It looks pretty real. The first pic has two of the books just sitting there in the foreground.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Who would Peter Gantzler be playing? He is too old for Logen.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just want out of shape spat upon Logan suddenly becoming Nine Fingers and killing the poo poo out of everything.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Have Kalul actually appear would be weird but interesting. I gotta wonder whether he actually believes in God or, like Bayaz, is just an opportunist using everything at his disposal.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Collateral posted:

Who would Peter Gantzler be playing? He is too old for Logen.

pretty sure those pictures are just for reference

Ccs posted:

Have Kalul actually appear would be weird but interesting. I gotta wonder whether he actually believes in God or, like Bayaz, is just an opportunist using everything at his disposal.

Khalul believes in bringing down Bayaz

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm reading Red Country right now. There was a really neat callback to the original trilogy that I enjoyed.

Just before the Ghosts attack the caravan, Shy notices that Lamb has somehow collected a huge number of knives and is calmly inspecting them one at a time.

You can never have too many knives, my father used to say.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Geisladisk posted:

I'm reading Red Country right now. There was a really neat callback to the original trilogy that I enjoyed.

Just before the Ghosts attack the caravan, Shy notices that Lamb has somehow collected a huge number of knives and is calmly inspecting them one at a time.

You can never have too many knives, my father used to say.

Unless you fall in a river and drown for all that iron.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why wouldn’t they be looking? GOT us wrapping up real soon.

E:Hahaha, I just checked and it looks likely that the entire GOT tv series will have run in the time GRRM takes to Go to conventions, watch football, eat a truckload of lemon pies, and not write Winds of Winter.. That’s amazing.

FTFY.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Xenix posted:

Except he's supposed to be in his late 20s or early 30s, iirc

I must've missed that part. Always thought he was in his 40s in the first triology.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

His Divine Shadow posted:

I must've missed that part. Always thought he was in his 40s in the first triology.

This paraphrases Abercrombie as having put Logen as "past thirty" in the first trilogy: https://www.joeabercrombie.com/2012/02/02/part-iv/comment-page-3/

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hopefully if they adapt it they keep the cursing faithful to the books.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I’m wrapping up my 3rd listen to the original trilogy, and man, it can’t be said enough how much Steven Pacey brings to the world of the First Law. The nuance and characterization that he builds, and maintains through the series is amazing. It’s going to set a high bar for the actors that come into any of the roles in a way that other series that I’ve listened to and then have later been adapted have not had.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Is Pacey the preferred actor? I remember folks having this discussion before.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
They had the guy that does the Locke Lamora books narrate Best Served Cold and The Heroes due to some sort of US/UK licensing issue if I recall correctly . Sometime later Pacey later went back and rerecorded it. I say definitely go with his version of Best Served Cold unless you've already read it and are looking for something different.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beastie posted:

10x better, easily.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Beastie posted:

Pretty sure Joe has said on his blog that he'll never use anybody but Pacey again.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Beastie posted:

While I don't have a ton of experience with audiobooks, Pacey is the best reader I've ever heard by a wide margin.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

VagueRant posted:

BSC is Abercrombie's only truly bad book.

Apologize to my loving dice!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

My girlfriend had like 14 credits to Audible so I bought Blade Itself with Pacey.

Looking forward to this.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

thumper57 posted:

Apologize to my loving dice!

Pacey's performance seriously impressed me in the "It should have been you." chapter of BSC

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
it's ridiculous to say that BSC is Abercrombie's only bad book. it might be his weakest book, but it's still worlds better than 99.9% of what's out there for fantasy

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suxpool posted:

it's ridiculous to say that BSC is Abercrombie's only bad book. it might be his weakest book, but it's still worlds better than 99.9% of what's out there for fantasy

Honestly, it's probably my favorite out of all the books. It's definitely the one I go back to and re-read the most. The trilogy is fantastic but so much broader in scope, the Heroes is almost too focused, and Red Country is amazing but I hate that slog across the plains.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I thought BSC was a great fast paced and fun read. I imagined the scene where Faithful Carpi gets ridden down into the river, then shouts out how he was faithful to everyone he served before getting pulled into the water wheel so vividly that it's probably my favorite moment from the book. Can't wait for the next First Law book though, its been a long time, at least Abercrombie put 3 other books in another world out during that time, but overall they were pretty overage and just left me wanting him to go back and finish the First Law books more than anything. From what I understand there will be a cast of new characters but the old ones will still be around and I'm really interested in seeing what they've been up to and can't wait for Bayaz and the Prophet to go at it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

gently caress, Pacey’s voices for Practical Frost and Arch Lector Sult are amazing.

Sult almost sounds like Patrick Stewart.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Rereading the first law trilogy and the seed is just straight up haunted plutonium, yes?

Man I can't wait for the new trilogy. His April progress report says he's got 40,000 words to then end of the rough draft of the third goddamn book and A Little Hatred is still on track for summer of 2019. Looking forward to some new POVs but more than anything I want a Glotka scheme to take down the Magus.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 14, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Glotka, Calder, Monza and (insert sympathetic ghurkish POV) defeat the mages once and for all

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Glotka, Calder, Monza and Ferro defeat the mages once and for all

FTFY

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
the main characters are about to beat the mages when it is revealed everything they did made the mages twice as strong

edit: also there's machine guns now and the mages have them

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The mages were actually necessary for keeping society stable and now they just have permanent hot war instead of cold war that occasionally boils over and also they were necessary to prevent the demons from pouring in since Glustrod died.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

the main characters are about to beat the mages when it is revealed everything they did made the mages twice as strong

edit: also there's machine guns now and the mages have them

Also everyone is addicted to heroin now and guess who's selling it?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Is it mages

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

no, it's magi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Bodie Bruce with two different eye colors.

"Got that White Flow!"

They've set up some fantastic conflict potential with a revived old empire and a united Styria with their own patrons.