Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
People who D.C. during ripostes are sooooo funny lol. I invaded some guy last night who did a bunch of gestures, threw poop at me, etc. So we finally start fighting, his first move is a running attack so I parry him and go for the riposte, right before the 3rd hit he's GONE LOL pulled the loving plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

g0t_hats posted:

People who D.C. are sooooo funny lol.

Fixed.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

HaB posted:

Fixed.

Twice as funny when it's during a critical

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I have no idea why cord pulling has become so popular. Hardly ever happened in 1 and 2 from my experience.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

g0t_hats posted:

Twice as funny when it's during a critical

Hornet Ring also increases how funny it is by a complicated multiplier.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Digirat posted:

what was changed about poise?
at some point they made poise reset you to 80% poise health on swing which makes it far far more usable

also poise from armor serves as defense for poisehealth, so when you swing a poise weapon, if you're wearing heavier armor you can tank through more attacks/heavier attacks without getting staggered.

Digirat posted:

and fast weapons were way better than slow weapons pretty much across the board since most bosses didn't give you long enough to attack with them.
every boss gives long enough to attack with slow weapons. I know this bc I'm a petty bitch and when I saw someone make this same complaint on youtube, specifically about nameless king, I went and beat nameless king on my invasion character who only has +6 weapons exclusively using a greathammer. and that was a pretty sloppy fight, too. if you find yourself unable to beat bosses with big slow weapons, you are not correctly understanding when your openings are(and possibly not taking advantage of your increased poise damage).

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

IronicDongz posted:

at some point they made poise reset you to 80% poise health on swing which makes it far far more usable

also poise from armor serves as defense for poisehealth, so when you swing a poise weapon, if you're wearing heavier armor you can tank through more attacks/heavier attacks without getting staggered.
every boss gives long enough to attack with slow weapons. I know this bc I'm a petty bitch and when I saw someone make this same complaint on youtube, specifically about nameless king, I went and beat nameless king on my invasion character who only has +6 weapons exclusively using a greathammer. and that was a pretty sloppy fight, too. if you find yourself unable to beat bosses with big slow weapons, you are not correctly understanding when your openings are(and possibly not taking advantage of your increased poise damage).

Man....your positioning during the Dragon phase of that fight is really impressive. Like you are always in the right spot.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

g0t_hats posted:

People who D.C. during ripostes are sooooo funny lol. I invaded some guy last night who did a bunch of gestures, threw poop at me, etc. So we finally start fighting, his first move is a running attack so I parry him and go for the riposte, right before the 3rd hit he's GONE LOL pulled the loving plug.

As someone who is terrible at PVP but wants to plat this game by chumping on newbies, I really wish DC's still rewarded the covenant item. I'm sure it's because the occasional true connection error happens, but when half my invasion attempts are DC's before my phantom even stands up, I call bullshit.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
When I used a Big Boi weapon during a Boss Rush mod run, using the Great Club was by far my easiest run, and I realized a lot more enemies have critical animations than I knew, and Dancer, Gundyr and Nameless King all got wrecked. Midir especially went down like a chump since the running attack has so much range and bashing his head with it after any of his attacks is about as easy as it gets. The rolling attack is also fantastically fast and hits in nearly a 360, and charging the R2 as a wakeup against Sister Freide after parrying or backstabbing her made 1200+ damage combos pretty common. Just don't use warcry, since the buffed R2s take too long to get decent a decent damage output, and will generally get you hit.

Greathammers are amazing, is what I'm getting at. Ultra Greatswords are fine too.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Iretep posted:

I have no idea why cord pulling has become so popular. Hardly ever happened in 1 and 2 from my experience.

:shrug: You die so much in these games anyway, why does it matter if it's someone else killing you? Like they should be shutting the game off in anger every time they die to an enemy because that's way more embarrassing than being killed by an actual person.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's different for the same reason that killing somebody else is way more satisfying than killing an NPC, i don't know why this is so hard to understand

like obviously it's still lame but it's the reaction to frustration that makes it so, the actual increased satisfaction / frustration is literally the whole point of ganking in any game where it's possible

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffytnbix07U

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HaB posted:

Man....your positioning during the Dragon phase of that fight is really impressive. Like you are always in the right spot.
thanks :) that's probably what I work on the most in these games.

With that fight though I've heard so many people complain about not being able to tell how close they are to it that I have to wonder if there's some kinda difference in eyesight or something like that which might make it a lot harder for some people to judge. there is also the way that a lotta people don't seem to realize not to cross over the (imaginary)line behind his head, but I'm not sure it's just that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's different for the same reason that killing somebody else is way more satisfying than killing an NPC, i don't know why this is so hard to understand

like obviously it's still lame but it's the reaction to frustration that makes it so, the actual increased satisfaction / frustration is literally the whole point of ganking in any game where it's possible

I mean I get it but you have to be real bitch made to unplug because someone beat you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've seen some messages from DCers that are like "get bent, I've stolen your satisfaction of killing me" which makes me think that they truly do not realize that disconnecting gives the invader a Win+, mentally

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Dr. Clockwork posted:

As someone who is terrible at PVP but wants to plat this game by chumping on newbies, I really wish DC's still rewarded the covenant item. I'm sure it's because the occasional true connection error happens, but when half my invasion attempts are DC's before my phantom even stands up, I call bullshit.

That happens to me on occasion, I think it's more of a connection issue and not someone DCing. If it's happening half the time you invade you might wanna check ur connection tbh.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Also don't bother invading upper Lothric or the Nameless King area of Archdragon Peak unless you like getting the "critical battle" message as soon as you stand up.

But I don't really know where else to go at SL95 :negative:

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Also don't bother invading upper Lothric or the Nameless King area of Archdragon Peak unless you like getting the "critical battle" message as soon as you stand up.

The grand archives is a fun place to invade, especially if you have the silvercat ring. My SL90 sorcerer gets tons of invasions there usually.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Once you hit sl91 you can invade into the meta, sl95 should be good for most of the 2nd half of the game + dlc's.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Got all my wolf grass really fast but the Blue Sentinels never gives me summons.

I wouldn’t mind if they added “if you kill someone who invaded you, you’ll get your covenant item” at least you’d get something out of invasions, as they are now they’re just inconvenient most of the time.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

asio posted:

Once you hit sl91 you can invade into the meta, sl95 should be good for most of the 2nd half of the game + dlc's.

OK I think I found a sweet spot in Dreg heap. People have a hell of a time with that first drop into the ruined cathedral full of murky dudes.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Dr. Clockwork posted:

OK I think I found a sweet spot in Dreg heap. People have a hell of a time with that first drop into the ruined cathedral full of murky dudes.

Yesss there and the stairway to heaven in the ringed city is like constant invasion easy mode for sl90+

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Archdragon mausoleum is also an easy invasion area if you wanna get cov items, because people who aren't looking for pvp(or looking to summon) show up embered there due to beating the wyvern, and often can't even deal with the drakeblood knight.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Got my tongues to get the ring just need...30...vertebra shackles. Ugh.

Ok that note I have never once been invaded by a purple. Is literally no one ever doing this covenant? Why?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Ok that note I have never once been invaded by a purple. Is literally no one ever doing this covenant? Why?

Purples can only invade people with phantoms, usually multiple, since their target is killing all phantoms that were up when they invaded. It can be a bit harsh since you'll generally be invading gank squads.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Did purples change? When I played purples just automatically won if any other player died.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Just get a buddy to do this one.

Drop a purple sign at the Undead Settlement bonfire. Have buddy summon you. As soon as you spawn, buddy jumps off the cliff.

Rinse repeat 30 times. It doesn't take that long.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Maleh-Vor posted:

Purples can only invade people with phantoms, usually multiple, since their target is killing all phantoms that were up when they invaded. It can be a bit harsh since you'll generally be invading gank squads.

You don’t need to kill everyone, you only need to kill one (host included).

I normally leave my sign as a purp then If the host is being invaded by a red I’ll help him, unless he has a blue, then I help the red :getin:

I got a lot of summons in the bonfire before the area hit by arrows as a purp, after that, none, should’ve stayed there low level until I got 30 :negative:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to try a mostly faith/partly strength character with pyromancy/miracles/a moderate strength weapon like a halberd or greatsword or something. Is this going to run into a wall in the DLCs like something that totally resists both fire and lightning? is this spreading too thin?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
That's strange. I'm sure I've seen the message asking me to kill 2 phantoms.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Maleh-Vor posted:

That's strange. I'm sure I've seen the message asking me to kill 2 phantoms.

I believe you have to kill one less than the current number summoned.

So like if it's a host with two bros - you have to kill 2.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Digirat posted:

I want to try a mostly faith/partly strength character with pyromancy/miracles/a moderate strength weapon like a halberd or greatsword or something. Is this going to run into a wall in the DLCs like something that totally resists both fire and lightning? is this spreading too thin?

You're probably spreading yourself too thin. Offensive miracles, like all schools of magic, require both boosting rings to be effective, and probably a Sage's Ring too. Don't worry about things being resistant to both, though, you can always have a weapon with another or no element and you'll be fine.

You could just go full faith+strength for a Morne build and spank ganks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just looked up the pyromancies and I forgot that they have faith/int requirements in this game. I guess it won't actually work with just faith.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

As far as I'm concerned it's the best invasion covenant and pretty much every single one of my characters gets at least rank 1 in it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Okay well I discovered my new favorite thing and that is popping red eye orb at the bonfire before Demon Prince drop because it almost always pops you on the root underneath and you can run up and kill the host while they are dicking around AFK or waiting on a phantom summon. Got three people this way before their summons realized what was going on.

Edit: the loving "All Rings" trophy is all rings including +1 AND +2? Jesus Christ I have to NG+2 this poo poo to platinum? :negative:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Make sure when you're going invading that you check the Bonfire list frequently. At any non-max level you'll catch the big wave of casuals slowly going through the game, summoning each other for co-op and therefore becoming prime PvP targets. The little ghosties next to the Bonfire names are the activity level for your SL in those areas.

Decided to finally get the achievements, so I'm going to take my caestus guy through to NG+3 for them. Respecced him for some new stuff and set out to go get all my PvP items. I was going is as a purple guy, with my new glittery Blessed Weapon buff for my caestus. I spent six hours doing SL100 invasions last night. Lost a few, won a ton. Even the losses were mostly great, involving me getting just shy of my phantom kills before getting taken down.

Most of the night was in the Grand Archives which is hands down my favorite place in the entire series to invade. It's got everything! Amazing sniper spots, Silvercat/Spook shenanigans, and the dim lighting and huge amounts of clutter make stealth stuff(obscuring ring, hidden body and chameleon) way more effective. There's several miniboss style encounters you can lure people in to and use as cover, and a huuuuuuge area to fight in before the host can get to the boss.

I had one where I invade a host going through from the start with a lone white phantom. I spawn several floors above them so, lacking range, I park myself somewhere discreet and eat sticks till I turn into a bookstand. They're super cautious, so they take several minutes slowly working up through the mobs between us. Just as theyy're getting in range to ambush, a Bluebro comes in and meets up with them right away. They clear then enemies around me, barely missing knocking me out of chameleon. The host turns and starts running downstairs, the White phantom and Bluebro linger near me, juuuuust out of range of a plunging attack off the little staircase I'm hiding on. I get a 'phantom summoned' alert and realize the host left to go get more help. Bluebro runs ahead, white turns back and gets close to me. I plunge, he gets up and goes for a hit, I punch him down to like 40%, he backs off. Bluebro saw us from the next level, leapt down (taking some damage) to join the fight. White phantom gives me too much room thinking I'll chase, bluebro goes for a backstab, I turn and persevere through it and punch him low. He rolls out and goes for a rolling attack when I follow, I armor through that and kill him. 1/3 phantoms for me. White hits me in the back once as I estus, I turn to fight him and see a glorious sunbro with Morne's helm and an ultra greatsword charging at me. I run like the cowardly snake my purple rear end is after the first hit of his sword lightning zaps half my health off. Thanks to my build's insane end bar, I outpace them and get a floor and a half ahead. The Host is still super nervous, slowing them all down because they're worried I'll double back I guess.

A minute or two into my jog, a Red phantom invades and within seconds a Darkmoon Blade spawns in. I drop down from a roof area back into the library to find the party. I see the red in the distance, sprinting past the dead enemies up the tower. The Darkmoon Blade runs into him, they fight a bit and break off. I lose sight of them as I run into the next room and directly into a fully charged UGS R2. The Host and his buddies are waiting for me. They had doubled back, anticipating my loop over the roof to get behind them. They surrounded me while I was flattened. I barely escape, Tears of Denial lets me survive the hits I take from the others and gives me enough time to punch myself up some health.(Old Wolf Curved Sword) The punches had made enough space to roll out, again thank you giant stamina bar. I sprint away at like 10 hp, some awkward parkour later and I see the Darkmoon fleeing from the Red, sprinting right towards me. I nope off to the side and see ahead of me the Host and co never killed that one super aggro red eye Lothric Knight that's staring at the sky on a ledge. I slide into his little cubby and have exactly enough time to heal myself. I'm planning to armor through the hit as they come through the door and bottleneck them and get the knight aggroed, but they loving outplayed the poo poo out of me. Darkmoon spots just short of the door and uses his Frayed Blade weapon art, protecting the Sunbro and the White phantom as they charge in, the Sunbro immediately does a lock-on running leap attack at a 90 degree angle, clashing with my l1 spam leaving us both hurt. At the same time the White does a running attack to throw the Knight off the ledge as he aggros. I have roughly 10 health again, and think "ok well, I'm definitely going to die" so I ignore the Sunbro, roll to the side, and uppercut the White Phantom off the ledge. I'm INSTANTLY killed and/or thrown to my own death by a running attack from the Darkmoon. I sigh, satisfied by the experience even without my shackle, and before the YOU DIED text can spawn, the Darkmoon blade eats a backstab from the Red phantom and is tossed off the roof in perfect view of my death cam tilting down. The Red is promptly throw off the side by the Sunbro. The game gives me a shackle at some point. In the last frames of the fade out to my world, the Sunbro topples off the roof to join us, and I'll never know if he slipped out just lost it and decided to join us. It was amazing. We had every non-location based covenant in one world, I was there for nearly 25 minutes, and it all ended with a conga line of good ideas turning into terrible mistakes flying off a cliff.

What was really funny was how like, stereotypical our builds were? The Darkmoon was using a Frayed Blade and was clearly going for maximum anime, the white phantom was a boring no gimmick guy with no fashion or fun and minmaxy "quality" weapons and gear. The Host was wearing the exile set, using an Uchi and a grass crest shield, and had no idea what he was doing. The Mad phantom was fighting with glittery caesti and a fur coat, and the Red was dressed like a spooky skeleton and was dual wielding great scythes. It was like the ideal form of Dark Souls PvP.

Then later, I invaded another obviously new player. This one was solo though, and was doing careful individual pulls, using poison/tox to kill the Sage without having him teleport, circling around crystal lizards to make sure he could corner them. The kind of Dark Souls new guy that's really trying you know? Fighting everything with his Dragonslayer Greatshield up and his Dark Sword. I figure, let's hang around for a bit and get a blue in here or something. Tanking several hits and many gestures later, she's learning to trust me and I cheer her on as she makes her way up the tower. Sometimes I run ahead a bit and drop prism stones to show her to illusory walls and hidden chests, she makes her way through and a steady pace. She clears the Outrider knight, gets all the good loot, kills the NPC gank squad/ She gets the second big shortcut open, we ride the elevator down. Back in the courtyard, she summons a Sunbro. We both know what this means, I wave and ride the elevator back up as he spawns in. They come up and head to the golden angels. Still no blue spawns this time. They start taking on the angels all at once, the Host deciding to forego pulling now that she has backup. The Sunbro is doing a decent job against two while the Host fights the third. I charge the Sunbro. Things do not go well for him.

The Host sees me and tries to save him, but I evade her while I finish him off, and she's distracted by the Golden Angels. Once the Sunbro is dead, I plop on the floor. After she's killed of the fat guys, we have a brief staring contest before she figures out I'm still not going to kill her. In the elevator room, she summons another Sunbro. I'm wearing a White Ring. The Host doesn't attack me, but to her credit she does spam gestures, presumably trying to warn him I'm a mad phantom. The Sunbro doesn't get it, and doesn't hit me as he spams shield bash in a circle while we all emote like idiots for a bit. He leads the charge across the bridge. I backstab him and toss my ring off. He tries to circle around in a panic, takes several shots from the bridge snipers. He panic rolls into a punch and dies. The Host collapses, but I'm still not planning to kill her, so she moves on. She sprints past the bridge enmies, I cheer her on. She gets to the boss. Still no blue guys. I need one more phantom. She summons him at the boss fog, the second shortcut still locked because you can't hit the lever while online for some reason.

No White ring this time. I'm assuming she's sacrificing this poor guy to me, as thanks for the treasures and sparing her. She waits till he goes in and tries to backstab me. I'm obviously heartbroken, my new BFF is trying to murder me. I try to kill the sunbro without hitting the host, they're working together, he's very good, and they're making it hard. I run back to the Lothric Knights, they don't follow. I heal, come back in, fight more. One Lothric Knight gets pulled and killed by the Sunbro the next time I go to heal. They do this for a bit. We're all low on estus, I have very low HP left. They both draw bows and we play shooting gallery for a bit. I juke between arrows the best I can and they occasionally headshot some hollow. I'm critically low, standing with some Hollows. They either run out of arrows or decide to wait me out. The sunbro going all zen meditation for a minute. I've got regen slowly ticking me up. I go in for another fight, the Sunbro and I run out of estus, but I slip back to the crowd. The sunbro spams some gestures at me as I retreat, dodging shots from the host. I drink a Divine Blessing, because I've on this mythical loving quest for an hour and I want my fuggen vertebra shackle. The Sunbro immediately Black Crystals out. I jog up, the Host is collapsed in the courtyard. She's at full HP. I buff up, chug all my refreshed estus in front of her, and point. We fight, she heals twice before I kill her. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DydRim57U&t=206s I am Nino now. I'm sorry Gee Money.

Sometimes Dark Souls online play sucks, but when it's good, it's so good

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good stories friend

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Beat Midir for the first time. What a rush. I actually like fighting him unlike a certain optional boss in the vanilla game who's a huge prick and sucks poop from a butt

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cuchulain posted:

blah blah blah

I have a big monitor and tiny text and yet somehow you still managed to fill it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TheHoosier posted:

Beat Midir for the first time. What a rush. I actually like fighting him unlike a certain optional boss in the vanilla game who's a huge prick and sucks poop from a butt

Don't talk poo poo about my good friend Kung Fu Gundyr.