Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Any thoughts on the TX-32 house primary? I'm thinking Colin Allred, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm having trouble parsing through the campaign speak on their websites to see who is the most progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Love too advocate for affordable housing

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2018/03/east-side-zoning-case-gets-personal/

quote:

Commissioner Tom Nuckols pointed out that if the neighborhood did not play ball with the developer, it could lose an opportunity for affordable units and instead wind up with 37 expensive single-family homes, but Llanes said that outcome would be preferable.

“We want to see homeownership. We don’t want to turn into a sea of apartments like what’s happened south of the river. (That) does not create any kind of political neighborhood stability,” Llanes said. “I would rather have an expensive house there and know that that neighbor is going to invest in the neighborhood and be one of our neighbors.”

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Depends on the district.

Put your address in vote411.org and see who's on your ballot.

I used vote411 and it lists 101 races, but doesn't include my district's Texas senator spot up for election (district 9). I only noticed because I really really hate Kelly Hancock and everywhere else I look says his spot is up for election this year (and has a democrat running against). Didn't get a chance to vote in the primaries yet so I don't know if the spot is actually on my ballot or not, but am I missing something?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Friend posted:

I used vote411 and it lists 101 races, but doesn't include my district's Texas senator spot up for election (district 9). I only noticed because I really really hate Kelly Hancock and everywhere else I look says his spot is up for election this year (and has a democrat running against). Didn't get a chance to vote in the primaries yet so I don't know if the spot is actually on my ballot or not, but am I missing something?

Tarrant County has a voter lookup, put in your name and it will give you an option to download your specific ballot
https://gisit.tarrantcounty.com/VoterLookup/

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Friend posted:

He has no Republican primary opponents and the Democrat side only has one person running, so there isn't any major primary competition there. For what it's worth Gwen Burud will be Kelly's democratic opponent in November.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

slouch posted:

He has no Republican primary opponents and the Democrat side only has one person running, so there isn't any major primary competition there. For what it's worth Gwen Burud will be Kelly's democratic opponent in November.

Yeah I knew that, but other races that don't have competition still showed up on my vote411 ballot so that had me confused. I checked the Dallas County sample ballot and it's on there though. Have you met Gwen? Seems fine, nothing exciting about her but at least she won't suck the NRAs dick on Twitter every time there's a mass shooting like the incumbent

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Accusing the entire commission of being developer shills will surely convince them that the NPCT isn't being unreasonable...

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Quandary posted:

Any thoughts on the TX-32 house primary? I'm thinking Colin Allred, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm having trouble parsing through the campaign speak on their websites to see who is the most progressive.

I'm voting for Colin, he's a sharp candidate and has a solid Democratic platform with no weird surprises. He also seems like the type to listen to experts/constituents and he grew up in TX32 and obviously cares a lot about it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Can't tell if dogwhistle or not.

Who am I kidding, of course it is dogwhistle

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zil posted:

Can't tell if dogwhistle or not.

Who am I kidding, of course it is dogwhistle

It's not really because Llanes and most of the other people on that NPCT are hispanic. He's just an rear end in a top hat.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It’s primary eve and kathaleen wall sent me:

A full page size attack ad on one of her opponents printed on both sides

A full page size attack ad on another of her opponents printed on both sides

A mailer twice as big for herself which includes a small section in which she blames liberals for the Parkland shooting because they continue to ignore the real issue of mental health and just blame guns. This thing is so massive they had to fold it in half and it still barely fit in the mailbox. All of these are very high quality thick and glossy paper.

They ran a story on NPR about her today too and the insane amount of money she is pouring into this. Triple all of the other eight candidates combined. That probably still holds if you add in the five democrats.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I would vote against her solely for the superfluous A in her first name.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Anyone have a list of the best choices for sacrificial lambs, er, Democrats for Statewide races besides Beto?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

spoon daddy posted:

Anyone have a list of the best choices for sacrificial lambs, er, Democrats for Statewide races besides Beto?

Well, Austin's local quasi-progressive weekly zine has the following endorsements, but I encourage you to consult other sources as well:
https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2018-02-16/chronicle-endorsements/

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Number_6 posted:

Well, Austin's local quasi-progressive weekly zine has the following endorsements, but I encourage you to consult other sources as well:

Thanks and man, they sure are all in on Beto.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Number_6 posted:

quote:

And his calls for universal health care

Ah ha ha. Hah.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Comrayn posted:

She thinks Hillary Clinton had Seth rich killed.

Where does this come from? Google isn't turning anything up.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Atahualpa posted:

Where does this come from? Google isn't turning anything up.

From her Twitter if I remember right.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Right she replied “justice for Seth Rich!” to a tweet calling for Clinton to be jailed or something like that. I’ll dig it up in a little while here.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Here you go

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElectSema4TX/status/864327923695800321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Still better than Medicare-X

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Beto supports M4A

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Beto supports M4A

Where is he on chemtrails

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Just voted in TX32 and there was like 6 Democrats in line and 0 Republicans so take that for what it's worth. I do live in the chunk of Dallas proper that got gerrymandered into the suburbs district, so it's not worth much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/971006104967831553

Cool to be in the weird position of rooting for Jerry Patterson. Lord, give me the strength so that if a man ever brutally humiliates my father and my family over the course of months that I don't go begging that same man for support for my transparent ladder climbing ambition.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

my idiot coworker left work early yesterday, March 5, to vote for the republican primaries

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Very accurate description of the Texas Democratic Party:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/969621658825904128
The anti-corruption message in the RGV should resonate since Democrats down there are notoriously corrupt.

HOLY poo poo I KNOW THIS DUDE

ahahaha

This is so badass man. He's the real deal. He's a bit of a loose cannon, but he's real smart, passionate, and is as homegrown as they come.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Friend posted:

my idiot coworker left work early yesterday, March 5, to vote for the republican primaries

:thunk:

or, next-level excuse to get out of work I guess?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Beto supports M4A

And I'm sure he's every bit as committed to that as he is to the DREAMers aka not at all

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

So still 1000% more than Cruz.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Beto isn't perfect but also he isn't the literal zodiac killer so I'll take it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pretty hosed up that Ted Cruz is on the Democratic primary ballot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quandary posted:

Beto isn't perfect but also he isn't the literal zodiac killer so I'll take it

My friend have you considered voting for his primary opponent Alex Jones

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

zoux posted:

My friend have you considered voting for his primary opponent Alex Jones

He passes my purity test!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ExpressNews/status/971066493810159616

My question is for these people: What historical things have actually happened

quote:

The Wilson County Sheriff’s Office declined to provide charging information on Robert Ussery, 54, who founded conspiracy website Side Thorn, and his partner Jodi Mann, 56, who is referred to as “Conspiracy Granny” online. The booking process was not complete Monday evening and no information would be made available until Tuesday, a supervisor there said.

Ussery “continually yelled and screamed and hollered and told me he was gonna hang me from a tree, and pee on me while I’m hanging,” said Frank Pomeroy, the pastor.

Pomeroy said he was in his car by the church when the pair approached the building, and he intervened when Mann began to write in large, loopy writing on a poster left for well-wishers to sign, “The truth shall set you free.”

The pair believe the church shooting was staged by accomplices of the government, though Pomeroy, whose 14-year-old daughter was killed there, knows better.

“He said, ‘Your daughter never even existed. Show me her birth certificate. Show me anything to say she was here,’” Pomeroy said. “I just told him there was enough evidence already visible, so if he chooses not to see that, how would I know he would believe anything else?”

Your daughter never even existed.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Would note this paragraph:

quote:

The conspiracy theorist was arrested during a White Lives Matter rally in Austin two years ago.
That was a big gathering of various neo-Nazi types. Main organizers for that came out of the Nazi skinhead scene in the 80s and live mainly near Houston now. Like, Conroe, etc. and those towns out there.

https://www.adl.org/blog/whos-who-in-white-lives-matter

My grandfather retired out there and hoo boy. Didn't know the Klan had barbecues on the side of the road until visiting that amazing place, Montgomery County, Texas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, y'all know about Vidor right.

I feel like (while we have major racial problems in Texas) we're not as bad on the whole as the traditional deep south because we didn't have the same entrenchment of plantation culture like they did in Mississippi or Alabama. But there are parts of East and Southeast Texas even today that might as well be run by Bull Connor.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

zoux posted:

I feel like (while we have major racial problems in Texas) we're not as bad on the whole as the traditional deep south because we didn't have the same entrenchment of plantation culture like they did in Mississippi or Alabama. But there are parts of East and Southeast Texas even today that might as well be run by Bull Connor.

This. Whenever I road trip to New Orleans, I ensure I have no reason to stop in Vidor (and I'm a white dude who grew up in Texas).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

isk posted:

This. Whenever I road trip to New Orleans, I ensure I have no reason to stop in Vidor (and I'm a white dude who grew up in Texas).

My folks live near Beaumont and the racial politics down there are so different than they are up here, it's like a totally different country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Yeah and the state became dominated by business elites and oil & gas. Which is lovely but it's a different kind of lovely.

In terms of the fringe racist right, it does seem to vary in different parts of the state, with East Texas and rural-ish areas near Houston in the southeast corner of the state having more of a Klan thing going. A lot of these small groups neo-Nazified themselves but they scream "Klan" in terms of their overall vibe, I guess. Like the wives show up to the White Lives Matter picnic in the park with ham sandwiches ready to serve. Getting the whole family involved like that is very Klan.

Dallas' big thing (at least in any of our lifetimes) was Nazi skinheads, especially in the 80s when it turned into an actual gang problem. Growing up, a friend whose dad was a police detective had some interesting stories. His dad would be driving him to school, then spotting a car, get on the radio to report the plates because it belonged to a known white-power skinhead.

Skinheads don't seem to be a thing in Dallas so much these days but it appears (to me) like there are bits and bobs of it in Arlington, Fort Worth, and especially White Settlement (of course).

--

Funny thing. Chinese mob was a big thing in Dallas back then too. Vanilla Ice got his start in Chinese mob-run clubs. Strange but true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE

Source: Chinese mob guy who was his manager. And friend's detective dad who investigated the dude lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 6, 2018