Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Odddzy posted:

I never was into the mod scene but why is the fact people are ripping the assets of the game an issue exactly?

Because taking the assets out of a game that literally came out this week and using them wholesale for your own extremely similar game in an extremely similar engine is a really lovely thing to do

edit: There is a big difference between "I put weapons from Duke into Doom" and "I put weapons from Ion Maiden into Doom" and it's that Duke came out 20 years ago. Since Ion Maiden uses the douk engine, if someone ports over its weapons and assets to their own thing, you pretty much don't need to buy Ion Maiden because you can see all of its content in someone else's game mod for free. Which sucks.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

man in the eyeball hat posted:

If Gordon Freeman was a theoretical physicist, why was he the one in the lab pushing the sample into the anti-mass spectrometer?
It's actually not all that hard to get hired by Black Mesa.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah in the Ion Maiden thread created by one of the devs by the second page there were people talking about ripping out the assets to try and create a zDoom port/conversion of the game. Kind of a really lovely thing to do in a thread created by the people who made the game to talk about said game, let alone one that’s a preview in early access and the game hasn’t even fully come out yet

it's especially more awful because the devs went out of their way to make an entirely new game in an old, nostalgic engine but people for some reason view anything made in the engine to just be free property for whoever nowadays, i guess

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

If Gordon Freeman was a theoretical physicist, why was he the one in the lab pushing the sample into the anti-mass spectrometer?

They asked if he had a degree in theoretical physics. He told them he had a theoretical degree in physics and they took him on.

EDIT: gently caress, beaten.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Arcsquad12 posted:

He told them
No way.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

quote:

Bioshock Talk

Two things:

1.) I still haven't played Bioshock 2. I have it on Steam, but I also have the remastered versions of both games (I guess because I already owned all three when they released the remasters). Should I play the original version or the remaster? I heard the remasters had technical problems and ended up looking worse, but I'm curious as to which one has better compatibility.

2.) Maybe I missed this, or forgot, but did they ever explain why in Bioshock (at least the first one) why they had the superpower things? I was thinking about that the other day. It makes sense gameplay-wise and at that point in the narrative where everyone in Rapture is crazy, but before that point, it seems like somone had to go, "Hey, you know what would be cool? If we set up vending machines where you inject yourself and shoot bees out of your hand!" What was the applicability of that before Rapture went nuts?

treat posted:

Oh man, you guys should turn your super captivating ideas on bioshocks into video essays for the youtube so you can get that hot recognition from the "coworker who won't loving stop talking to me about video games after I wore an old left 4 dead t-shirt to work" demographic.

It's already been done:

Matthew Matosis on Infinite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4

MisterCaption on Bioshock 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST7iDT4Z_SY (I haven't seen this one, but it popped up in the related vids)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 6, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bioshock 2 explains the origins of plasmids and why they're used in the city. 1 sorta kinda touches on it but 2 goes really in depth and actually shows you where they come from and why. The gist is that initially they were a novel invention for home use (secure your home with cameras, light your stove by pointing at it, put out fires by shooting ice from your hands) but they had the side effect of driving people a little bit insane. By the time the general population noticed, nobody really cared because there were so many junkies running around stabbing themselves with EVE hypos to keep their powers up. But the competing developers of plasmids ended up locked in an arms race where the plasmids had to be more and more wild and powerful and eventually people started using their ability to throw fireballs for evil. Stuff like shooting bees from your hand came later.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 6, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's weird that they never invented plasmids for your dick.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's weird that they never invented plasmids for your dick.

That'll be filed under the hard sci-fi genre on wikipedia. Right next to Half-Life 3!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That... that's a good point.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Arcsquad12 posted:

That... that's a good point.

Maybe he's like Silent Bob, only speaking on important occasions, landing a new job for example. Or could be like Link, where he talks, just not when we're looking. Though he doesn't make "Hyeahh!!" grunts or even a Quake grunt, which is notable.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Max Wilco posted:

Two things:

1.) I still haven't played Bioshock 2. I have it on Steam, but I also have the remastered versions of both games (I guess because I already owned all three when they released the remasters). Should I play the original version or the remaster? I heard the remasters had technical problems and ended up looking worse, but I'm curious as to which one has better compatibility.

I'm playing the B1 remaster, no crashes, more detailed textures and some of the models. There's also a neat little museum of cut content, directors commentary which seems to be video-based for some reason, and you can (and should) disable player respawning, but that may have also been in the original. Also don't bother turning off the item shine, it's impossible to find anything without it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Heavy Metal posted:

Maybe he's like Silent Bob, only speaking on important occasions, landing a new job for example. Or could be like Link, where he talks, just not when we're looking. Though he doesn't make "Hyeahh!!" grunts or even a Quake grunt, which is notable.

Maybe the HEV suit answered for him.
"Theoretical. Physics. Degree. Detected. Emergency, user death imminent!"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Heavy Metal posted:

My theory is that Gordon just got laryngitis on the morning of the resonance cascade, and the only reason he hasn't recovered from it is because G-Man's had him in stasis for the majority of the time, and that keeps him from healing. Between the start of Half-Life 1 and the end of Episode 2, Gordon's only been conscious for ,like, four days or so.

Either that, or Gordon's just straight-up mute, and he got in on disability. Black Mesa is an equal-opportunity employer, after all.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

c0burn posted:

Please don't use Tunngle. Although this likely isn't causing your problems it's just unnecessary if you set it up correctly.

In AD, all of the individual particle effects and shotgun pellets are entities. Entities are things like players, and monsters. These are not ran client side and are all networked. Quake was never ever designed to network that much crap, but it's ok in single player. AD lets you turn a lot of that stuff off in multiplayer, please read the AD readme and make sure you do this first!

Quakespasm and MarkV are both "Netquake" engines. Netquake, aka the original quake release in 1996, was only ever designed to be played over LANs smoothly. It does not have clientside prediction or clever delta networking.
Quakeworld was released to combat this. However, stock QW doesn't have coop, and AD is also a Netquake, not QW, mod.

Luckily, we are in the land of many modern sourceports.

FTE is a modern Quake engine, that supports both QW + NQ in one engine. It can run NQ mods with its own enhanced network protocol that should be much smoother. This is my first suggestion.
http://fte.triptohell.info/

There is also http://fte.triptohell.info/moodles/qss/, which is Quakespasm-Spiked, Quakespasm modified by the developer of FTE with some additional features ported over from FTE, including better networking.

Rocket Pan posted:

This can be where part your problem is. Tunngle tries whatever it can to establish a connection, and this includes using relays. You are not guaranteed to have a direct connection to the host, and this can create way too much overhead.

Edit: c0burn beat me to it. I should have clicked next page. :downs:
Interesting! Gonna ditch Tunngle and give FTE/Spiked a go. Thanks a plenty.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

He just got his PhD, and who else is going to put the sample into the anti-mass spectrometer, the 80 year old guy who has tenure in 12 different universities? I don't think so.

Max Wilco posted:

I had no problems with the remaster so I say play that and spare yourself some grief loving with config files.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Play remastered. I replayed Bioshock 2 just before the remastered got released and had to gently caress around with the sensitivity, using a widescreen app for higher FoV and a sound fix for not have awful quality because the old versions don't usually run well with Win10 x64.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
For what it’s worth the BioShock 2 remaster was crashy as hell for me when I tried to play Minerva’s Den but that was a while ago so it may be fixed?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah in the Ion Maiden thread created by one of the devs by the second page there were people talking about ripping out the assets to try and create a zDoom port/conversion of the game. Kind of a really lovely thing to do in a thread created by the people who made the game to talk about said game, let alone one that’s a preview in early access and the game hasn’t even fully come out yet

Oh well this is extremely lovely.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

My theory is that they were grooming him for a transfer to Lambda Team and eventual placement on one of the Xen exploration teams. The HEV4 is basically power armour, after all, and was definitely used for -- and probably designed specifically for -- expeditions into Xen. Maybe they have enough spares lying around to use as hazmat suits, but I think it's more likely that Anomalous Materials has a few so they can use "the barrel" as a training ground for people they think might be a good fit on Lambda.

I mean, it's not like it even needs a human in there, the sample could be inserted by robot arm a lot more safely.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I understand people ripping models for Source filmaker videos, but ripping assets off just to remake something in zdoom/GZdoom is pretty skeevy.

Also, jeez there are already a million sprites out there, I'm sure a few hours in photoshop should be enough to make something new.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

In all other dimensions the lab techs came into work that day, and there was no game. This is the dimension where convoluted reasons meant that it "looks like YOU'RE in the barrel today. They're waiting for you, in the TEST chambuuurrrr". Since the gman is an interdimensional being, he decided that visiting any of the other dimensions where a lovely lab tech pushes the trolley in and explodes was probably not as useful as the one where he could recruit the HERO!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

No one actually likes Gordon because of his antisocial behaviour (always running late, creeping around in air vents, refusing to talk to his colleagues), so making him do menial tasks like pushing a cart is their way of getting back at him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist in that he's theoretically a physicist.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MMAgCh posted:

It's actually not all that hard to get hired by Black Mesa.

Arcsquad12 posted:

They asked if he had a degree in theoretical physics. He told them he had a theoretical degree in physics and they took him on.

EDIT: gently caress, beaten.

Cat Mattress posted:

Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist in that he's theoretically a physicist.

No. That isn't why. He IS a physicist, otherwise how would he be able to solve all the puzzles with a gravity gun? HMM?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

!Klams posted:

No. That isn't why. He IS a physicist, otherwise how would he be able to solve all the puzzles with a gravity gun? HMM?

Theoretically, there's a physicist in all of us. That keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams of HL3.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Meat Beat Agent posted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/sqdl4qnyknhde7s/ionmaiden.prg

There were some tiny things that had to be fixed for it to actually work right, and I probably typoed some of the actual music due to the 8 and B looking exactly the same but you get the idea

HAH, it actually ran quite alright. Now I kind of want to play a shooter on this thing now. Never had a Commodore.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know people who claimed to have openly wept upon finishing Bioshock Infinite. I didn't beat it but I know what happens at the end (or rather I used to know, I've since forgotten because it was extremely convoluted).

Am I the weirdo for rolling my eyes? I'm as emotional about media as anyone else, I've cried at movies, and know that, as a dad with two sons, A Tale of Two Brothers might wreck me for a bit (haven't played yet), but... Infinite? Really?

The ending of Infinite is literally the main character of game not understanding how the game's rules work, after being explicitly told how the games rules work and killing an innocent man for no reason. It's a lovely ending. But then I question anyone who claims to have any emotional investment in Infinite after the point where they roll out a quantum necromancer ghost, a plot point so utterly stupid it defies belief. Quantum Necromancer Ghost is so loving stupid it's beyond parody.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DatonKallandor posted:

The ending of Infinite is literally the main character of game not understanding how the game's rules work, after being explicitly told how the games rules work and killing an innocent man for no reason. It's a lovely ending. But then I question anyone who claims to have any emotional investment in Infinite after the point where they roll out a quantum necromancer ghost, a plot point so utterly stupid it defies belief. Quantum Necromancer Ghost is so loving stupid it's beyond parody.

I forget what the Quantum Necromancer Ghost was, i might have expunged it from my memory

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AnEdgelord posted:

I forget what the Quantum Necromancer Ghost was, i might have expunged it from my memory

At one point you have to fight a literal ghost in a graveyard. I forget the exact justification for it but it definitely happened and they definitely tried to tie it to the quantum fuckery multiple universe overarching story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

comstock's wife comes back as a giant ghost that acts like a arch vile in resurrecting dead baddies.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
On one hand, the ghost was extraordinarily stupid. On the other hand, Stephen Russell really sells the line "It seems your mother is raising the dead." in such an incredulous tone that it's perfect.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
lol ion maiden doesn't have a win32 build.

Max Wilco posted:

Black Mesa is an equal-opportunity employer, after all.

Bullshit. Zero women and one black guy? Equal opportunity my rear end.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

HAH, it actually ran quite alright. Now I kind of want to play a shooter on this thing now. Never had a Commodore.

You really don't. The C64 just isn't quite up to it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Keiya posted:

Bullshit. Zero women and one black guy? Equal opportunity my rear end.

Excuse me? TWO women.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
While we were mentioning making our own assets, I finally went and finished this son of a bitch

Now I dunno what to do with him?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Shoehead posted:

While we were mentioning making our own assets, I finally went and finished this son of a bitch

Now I dunno what to do with him?

Convince a mod to turn it into an extra-large smiley.

:caco:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Amid Evil still exists and I guess it has a horde mode now? Its HUD font is still roughly the size of a house, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJcMKd6prBY

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Keiya posted:

You really don't. The C64 just isn't quite up to it.

Rambo and the Shmups on the platform aren't bad actually. Suprised there are lots of good games on C64. Never gonna get the actual hardware, but I understand the nostalgia behind it, especially with FM synth music hobbyists.

The Kins posted:

Amid Evil still exists and I guess it has a horde mode now? Its HUD font is still roughly the size of a house, though.

I hope they change the font for the numbers. I can't tell the difference between 6, 8 and 9.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Shoehead posted:

Which is funny because the cacodemon sprite was itself pretty much copied straight off the cover of a Dungeons & Dragons splatbook. :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Kins posted:

Pretty sure that's what they're putting out on early access.

Also, "still exists" is kinda weird because the Amid Evil / New Blood twitters are insanely active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZdXs8U3cxI

This seems interesting