Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

sexpig by night posted:

as long as I can toss my stupid newbies into a Learning Bed to make them not suck total poo poo I'm fine with them being expendables.
They're literally BattleTech Pods.

eta

Gwaihir posted:

In classic Tabletop any weapon that gets shot at the front of a Mech has a 2.7% chance of hitting the head. (And even then the AC20 is the only one that is guaranteed to actually result in a kill from that head hit).
I think this game is using similar probability tables, although it's totally possible that they changed it up. (And they can be modded anyhow if you wanted to, easily).
I dropped it by about half. Also for any given attack sequence (meaning all shots from a single unit at a single unit), you can only take one injury from head hits. Otherwise LRMs would be a pilot-murdering machine. It's possible to kill a pilot via injuries in one attack; you'd need to get a head hit, a LT or RT destruction, and then cause a knockdown. I've done it, but it's super-rare, and everything has to line up just right.

of course, now that I've said that, it's probably going to happen to all of you at least once, because That's BattleTech!. Sorry in advance.

isildur fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Captain Foo posted:

under standard tabletop 3025-era rules, anything that hits the HD has a chance, very small though it might be, to kill your pilot, and the ac20 is the only weapon with enough damage output to outright destroy the HD in a single hit.

The only way anything smaller than an AC/10 or PPC (unless the 'Mech is poorly designed, like a Rifleman or Wasp) kills a pilot in 3025 is by knocking them unconscious, and the fall or falling onto the HD killing them. Floating TACs is not a standard-level rule, even though everyone thinks it is.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Strobe posted:

The only way anything smaller than an AC/10 or PPC (unless the 'Mech is poorly designed, like a Rifleman or Wasp) kills a pilot in 3025 is by knocking them unconscious, and the fall or falling onto the HD killing them. Floating TACs is not a standard-level rule, even though everyone thinks it is.

If we investigate that in game terms. Lets say a head hit knocks a pilot over. He takes a pilot injury for the head hit, then falls, and that is another automatic pilot hit.

If the pilot is out of wounds (one wound per level in the Guts skill), they make a Guts check. We don't have any information on what a Guts check is, but my assumption is that it is modified by the level of their Guts skill. If they pass the Guts check, all is good they are alive. If they fail they are dead. Padding your Guts skill on all pilots to stop an easy kill from a head hit + knockdown scenario is going to be pretty important.

The important thing here is the Guts check when they run out of wounds. Previously we assumed that once they took a wound past their wound threshold that was it. Death.

Another thing is that the more recent videos have an indicator below the pilot portrait that shows the total wounds for each pilot and how many they have taken. Previously this was hidden from the player - probably just an oversight.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 6, 2018

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Phrosphor posted:

Mitch has said that you can upgrade the argo to have simulator pods, so you can have rookies in training to level them up before they hit the field.

As I have found from my LP, low skill pilots are pretty crap. A 2/2/2/2 pilot dies easy, can't hit a barn, falls over a lot and doesn't have any idea what is attacking him until he can see it.

Excellent. One of the major reasons I savescummed in vanilla XCOM was because rookies were a pain to bring into a team late-game and mess up your established comp, so you don't tend to train rookies which make a veteran loss crippling (bad management on my part yeah). So having a passive trainer to make them not hot garbage from the get-go is a good addition. I've watched your LP and jesus are those pilots bad. Really hope there'll be a merc mode like Phrosphor's LP after the story is done, or something similar.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

School Nickname posted:

Excellent. One of the major reasons I savescummed in vanilla XCOM was because rookies were a pain to bring into a team late-game and mess up your established comp, so you don't tend to train rookies which make a veteran loss crippling (bad management on my part yeah). So having a passive trainer to make them not hot garbage from the get-go is a good addition. I've watched your LP and jesus are those pilots bad. Really hope there'll be a merc mode like Phrosphor's LP after the story is done, or something similar.

You can take contracts indefinitely after completing the story. Confirmed and awesome! I don't think you can flip control of planets by doing successive contracts for one side, but apparently the section of Laio/Davion border that is available will be a high intensity 'endgame' area with really tough contracts and big rewards.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 6, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

isildur posted:

It's actually easier to deal with the loss of a MW because the really absurdly expensive and powerful thing is the 'Mech. You can stick a rookie in the cockpit of a Catapult and it will still be a Catapult. The specifics of how BT works are in my favor on this issue.

I kind of had this in the back of my head earlier but I don't know enough about the TT rules to say just how big a deal it is having a rookie in a badass mech vs. an experienced pilot. The whole "you can never lose a mech, only badly damage it" thing seems like a very strong defense against letting the player get totally boned by a run of bad luck (or their own poor decisionmaking). But if you can train up new pilots without actually throwing them at the enemy then that makes losing experienced mechwarriors even less painful. Let the meatgrinder begin!

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Phrosphor posted:

The important thing here is the Guts check when they run out of wounds. Previously we assumed that once they took a wound past their wound threshold that was it. Death.
There are two states, 'Incapacitated' and 'Lethally Injured'. The latter only happens (currently) with complete cockpit destruction. The former is anything else that 'kills' your pilot.

By default, you have a 60% chance to lose the pilot from Incapacitated, and a 110% chance to lose the pilot from Lethally Injured. This is reduced by 5% for each point of Guts, and there are ship upgrades that can also reduce it further (though not by very much). You can never get all the way to 0%.

If you don't die, there's a *very large* additional healing time cost for someone who's Incap or Lethal. I've had guys in the hospital for 2+ months.

These numbers are things I'm allowed to tune in the time we have left, so they may change before launch. But that's where they stand right now.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

isildur posted:

There are two states, 'Incapacitated' and 'Lethally Injured'. The latter only happens (currently) with complete cockpit destruction. The former is anything else that 'kills' your pilot.

By default, you have a 60% chance to lose the pilot from Incapacitated, and a 110% chance to lose the pilot from Lethally Injured. This is reduced by 5% for each point of Guts, and there are ship upgrades that can also reduce it further (though not by very much). You can never get all the way to 0%.

If you don't die, there's a *very large* additional healing time cost for someone who's Incap or Lethal. I've had guys in the hospital for 2+ months.

These numbers are things I'm allowed to tune in the time we have left, so they may change before launch. But that's where they stand right now.

Thanks for clearing this up, it was one of the things we really didn't have a good handle on. It's good to know that Lethality is there, but it is more likely your poor pilot will just end up in the infirmary for a very, very long time.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Better Dead than Dispossessed :black101:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Phrosphor posted:

If we investigate that in game terms. Lets say a head hit knocks a pilot over. He takes a pilot injury for the head hit, then falls, and that is another automatic pilot hit.

That's not really the weapon doing it though, is it? Second and third order effects aren't exactly an attribute of the weapons. Especially in the tabletop (which is what I was responding to), where unless you get a crit on the cockpit, it's definitely not the weapon doing the pilot killing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

isildur posted:

They're literally BattleTech Pods.

So these things? Awesome. :neckbeard:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Strobe posted:

That's not really the weapon doing it though, is it? Second and third order effects aren't exactly an attribute of the weapons. Especially in the tabletop (which is what I was responding to), where unless you get a crit on the cockpit, it's definitely not the weapon doing the pilot killing.

I maybe didn't understand your post, I was looking for a situation where a single hit could kill a pilot that wasn't a cockpit destruction. So a head hit that did enough stability damage to also knock over a mech on a pilot with 2 guts (or 2 remaining wounds) was the first thing that came to mind.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

This has come up before. You can hire veteran mercs, but they are a lot more expensive. I think the initial design goal was they might end up really cocky as well and mess up unit morale, but that system was sadly cut.

*snip*

As I have found from my LP, low skill pilots are pretty crap. A 2/2/2/2 pilot dies easy, can't hit a barn, falls over a lot and doesn't have any idea what is attacking him until he can see it.

That's awesome. And yeah! Your LP was in the forefront of my mind when I asked. They're greener than a neon pastel set, but they seem to to actualy improve, but losing them would also suuuck because, well. Not just lack of progress, but starting the same path with someone worse.

For shits and giggles, Just how bad would that 8/8 pilot have been in HBS-game terms if we had hired them? You know, that random one on the periphery job?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TheParadigm posted:

That's awesome. And yeah! Your LP was in the forefront of my mind when I asked. They're greener than a neon pastel set, but they seem to to actualy improve, but losing them would also suuuck because, well. Not just lack of progress, but starting the same path with someone worse.

For shits and giggles, Just how bad would that 8/8 pilot have been in HBS-game terms if we had hired them? You know, that random one on the periphery job?

8/8 corresponds somewhere below "first day in a 'Mech with no previous experience of any kind and no prior military training", so.... pretty bad.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

TheParadigm posted:

She probably would have been a 0/0/0/0! I just tested it and the game can handle a 0/0/0/0 pilot. But...

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

But what?

Did you test if their skills are able to be set to negative numbers, or no?

I kid, i kid. I do want to see how terrible they are, though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
What LP are you doing Phros?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gwaihir posted:

What LP are you doing Phros?

Let's run our own Merc Company in Battletech/MEKHQ!

Its a real hackjob, and its awesome.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So these things? Awesome. :neckbeard:

Man those things were THE. poo poo. at Dave & Buster's back in the day.

They even ran a league with club regulars. People got really, really into it, and I think some of the club people even incorporated their game of the Mechwarrior tabletop RPG into it in some quasi-LARP thing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Gwaihir posted:

In classic Tabletop any weapon that gets shot at the front of a Mech has a 2.7% chance of hitting the head. (And even then the AC20 is the only one that is guaranteed to actually result in a kill from that head hit).
I think this game is using similar probability tables, although it's totally possible that they changed it up. (And they can be modded anyhow if you wanted to, easily).

So it's not very common at all, but if you are doing things like vomiting a huge pile of missiles or machineguns on burst fire or something at a Mech, you'll get some head hits.

It's been a long time, but a punch from a large enough mech can also headcap you as it would be more than 12 damage in a single hit, right? Or a justice foot the the head if you're above them. Also clan bs, but so far we've only seen IS mechs, I think.

Thanks for the link!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 6, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bookmarking this

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Don't forget that there's damage resistance in Battletech, so even weapons that would barely headcap are probably often going to not do enough damage. Hell, if you're braced even the AC20 won't headcap. Don't know if light cover would be enough though. But barely-killers like the old clan PPCs or Gauss wouldn't headcap as long as there's even a single forest.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

DatonKallandor posted:

Don't forget that there's damage resistance in Battletech, so even weapons that would barely headcap are probably often going to not do enough damage. Hell, if you're braced even the AC20 won't headcap. Don't know if light cover would be enough though. But barely-killers like the old clan PPCs or Gauss wouldn't headcap as long as there's even a single forest.

Breaching Shot :getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That Italian Guy posted:

It's been a long time, but a punch from a large enough mech can also headcap you as it would be more than 12 damage in a single hit, right? Or a justice foot the the head if you're above them. Also clan bs, but so far we've only seen IS mechs, I think.
The game is based in the early 3000s (3020something, I think?) so the Clans have not invaded yet. Additionally, the game is based on the opposite side of the inner sphere from where the clans invade.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That Italian Guy posted:

Thanks for the link!

Outside of Triple Strength Myomers a punch from an Atlas will only do 10 damage (weight divided by ten). A kick from it would do 20 (weight divided by five) but would require the Atlas to be a level above the target.

Now give a mech a hatchet and a fifty tonner would do 10 with it (weight divided by five again) and a sixty tonner would be a headcapper.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The game is based in the early 3000s (3020something, I think?) so the Clans have not invaded yet. Additionally, the game is based on the opposite side of the inner sphere from where the clans invade.

This one is 3025, and Mechwarrior 5 from PGS (assuming it comes out) is set in 3015.

This of course isn't stopping PGS from including Mechs in their game that haven't even been built yet in 3015, like the Raven.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drone posted:

This one is 3025, and Mechwarrior 5 from PGS (assuming it comes out) is set in 3015.

This of course isn't stopping PGS from including Mechs in their game that haven't even been built yet in 3015, like the Raven.
You mean :pgi:?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think I remember right but isn't MW5 spanning pretty much up until right before the Clan Invasion? So additional Mechs are fine so long as they appear when they are supposed to.

Really the reason I'm mostly hyped for MW5 is it's supposed to be VR.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sky Shadowing posted:

Wait, when the gently caress did that happen?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I guess if they really want to have advanced technology in that period they could SPOILER FOR A 30 YEAR OLD SETTING add some secret Comstar stuff or a cache of Star League equipment. But yeah I assume it's going to be the good old IS stuff all the way (and I'll be happy no matter what).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They've hinted that some SL era tech can be found in the game. Also the "Atlas II" (not an actual Atlas II) from the video last week is sporting ER and Pulse lasers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sky Shadowing posted:

Don't get hyped for Mechwarrior 5. PGI's managers are all inveterate liars and their claims are worthy only of your contempt. They're making a last-minute cash-grab before they lose the license in the hopes that a new influx of money will convince Microsoft to let them keep it for another few years. It's likely that MW5 will be a precursor to an MW:O2 that uses the Unreal engine rather than Cry.

The game could still wind up fun, so by all means buy MW5 once it's a game that actually actually exists, but I wouldn't preorder anything from PGI and anything they try to hype should be taken with a two-ton boulder of salt.

The AI is going to be "travel set patrol paths until aggroed then charge directly at the player through any buildings, rocks, or other terrain in the way" bad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The thing I'm hoping for most out of MW5 is more 3025 IS mechs that HBS can hopefully put into Battletech as an expansion/DLC.

We could really use a 40 ton mech that isn't the overengined Cicada. Whitworth and/or Clint please.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
As I said, the primary reason I'm interested in MW5 is that they said around the time they announced it that it would have VR support, and in games I've always said would be perfect for VR MechWarrior has been on top of my list.

I have no immediate faith in PGI otherwise, though. People who seem to have played it says it at least feels good, but obviously their heavy emphasis on procedural generation has me concerned.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

As I said, the primary reason I'm interested in MW5 is that they said around the time they announced it that it would have VR support, and in games I've always said would be perfect for VR MechWarrior has been on top of my list.

I have no immediate faith in PGI otherwise, though. People who seem to have played it says it at least feels good, but obviously their heavy emphasis on procedural generation has me concerned.

PGI couldn't get basic animations or UI things done for years and years. If you trust them to do VR right I have a bridge to sell you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Over engining was really common with forty tonners in general as the weight class was mostly used for making scout interceptors. A cicada is less than great for squaring off against cents and hunchbacks but will rip and tear through locusts and wasps all day.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Sky Shadowing posted:

Procedural generation my loving rear end.
Figuring out how to do procgen in Unreal (for a simple top-down game like an rpg) takes a year and a half to learn, and another year to implement. Mentioning procgen not only implies PGI has ace programmers that can apply the same thing to a 3d game that has colliders, physics and projectiles, it also implies that they have a time machine.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The question is, if PGI had a time machine would you still have any faith that there would be a timeline where they don't gently caress up game design?

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
You could make a business jumping from one universe to another and making documentaries about all the various things PGI hosed up. I'm sure there's a timeline where they got stuck in the past while visiting the Roman Empire, only to end up becoming Pilates, Levi and the Iscariot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zaodai posted:

The question is, if PGI had a time machine would you still have any faith that there would be a timeline where they don't gently caress up game design?

Not as long as Paul's running the show.