Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I unlocked Ironbreaker and got this really cool shield, my first blue, with extra stamina and a wider block/push radius. I know it's not meta or whatever but I was having a ton of fun with it so I decided to scrap all my whites and upgrade it to an orange. I didn't realize it rerolled the stats and now it has extra crit chance, one other thing, and an attack speed buff when I crit. Is that garbage for a shield and hammer? How can I get better traits and what will it cost me? :(

Also I'm realizing that I don't think the power level went up so that kind of sucks cause I'm still relatively low and I'm sure I'll outgrow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

This is missing that you need to make sure that all of the weapons make sense with respect to one another, too. This is the way that balance always runs away with people. It took half a year for Fatshark to get the relatively limited armory in VT1 feeling good, and even then, new additions came by to make certain weapons pointless (such as the pick invalidating the greataxe when it came out). There was also the constant problem that oranges were literally the only thing that mattered and fundamentally players were wasting their drat time getting anything but blues or oranges - and the blues were only required to provide shards to unlock the orange traits. THEN you had the problem of weapon traits on top of it being such a complex topic that you can have two idiot nerds talking for twenty minutes about only that topic.

hero power flattens all of this math by punting all of these variables into a much more simple equation that you can then tweak the inputs to. The view of the world they have now fundamentally simplifies the programming challenge here simply because there's now no questions on whether or not something should do this or that; it's all spelled out in the tags and it's all easy to say 'yes, this is in fact a problem' and provides a generally clear path to fixing it - again, presuming it's all implemented in the clear-ish way i'm envisioning.

all that said though, i still feel it's a mistake from the perspective of a game because all of these things still need to be discoverable by players, and currently they're just not.

Power level does not seem like a prerequisite for a tag system in any way. We don't even know if the game uses a tag system under the hood unless code diggers have found evidence of it beyond the little descriptions the game reads to you on weapons like "crowd control" which could just as well say whatever fatshark wants them to. this all seemed pretty vague the first time you said it and I'm even less convinced that it's some magical solution to their difficulties now, much less one that couldn't be solved a different way without so much collateral damage--I still believe it only exists to create a slightly longer treadmill for those insane black powder farmers

FWIW I don't think vermintide 1 even having those three damage levels based on weapon color is a good thing, and I think its loot system is really pretty bad before you hit the orange plateau and can just play around with traits. But it's a hell of a lot simpler than this and better for players in ten different ways. I was excited when I saw fatshark say on their stream Q&A that they weren't tying weapon damage to rarity anymore, but I wasn't expecting that to mean they were replacing that with something even worse. As for traits, both games have traits on weapons so that isn't an angle of complexity 1 has that 2 doesn't--everything that they had to balance in 1 is either still here or more complicated.

JBP posted:

Mining pick is a real piece of poo poo. "Wide sweeps" but has no stun or knockback at all and only swings once every thousand years when a bloody red moon hangs low in the sky.

I really don't know why they thought the pickaxe's already very awkward cadence should go even slower. There is just an eon of time between its swings now, and it doesn't seem to beat the 2h hammer in either damage or CC

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

So I unlocked Ironbreaker and got this really cool shield, my first blue, with extra stamina and a wider block/push radius. I know it's not meta or whatever but I was having a ton of fun with it so I decided to scrap all my whites and upgrade it to an orange. I didn't realize it rerolled the stats and now it has extra crit chance, one other thing, and an attack speed buff when I crit. Is that garbage for a shield and hammer? How can I get better traits and what will it cost me? :(

Also I'm realizing that I don't think the power level went up so that kind of sucks cause I'm still relatively low and I'm sure I'll outgrow it.

Rolling new properties is 1 blue rock and 1 green rock. Rolling new traits is 1 orange rock. You'll be swimming in blue/green rocks just by playing (since you'll be scrapping greens and blues you don't want) but orange rocks take longer to farm up since they come from scrapping orange items.

You don't get hero power boosts for upgrading items, which seem a kinda lame to me, but I wouldn't worry about it. You'll have a decent weapon for a while so just go ham on rat dudes.

Skypie fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 6, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what's a 'trait' and how is it different from a property

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Properties are what's on a green or blue item. Damage reduction, crit chance, power bonus against Chaos, etc. Trait is the passive buff on an orange item and they're things like get more attack speed on crits or a chance not to use healing items, etc.

Orv
May 4, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Properties are the Diablo style affixes, +X% damage to X, +X stamina, etc.

Traits are the orange only special properties that do wondrous things; potions last 50% longer, etc.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Traits are like legendary powers in Diablo 3, except they're still selected from a pool of traits per item type. They appear on oranges (and reds I assume) only, and do more specialized stuff like increasing potion duration or whatever.

Properties are Diablo-style buffs on an item like "+crit chance" or whatever, and you can only get up to two of them on an item, with a blue or above rarity level.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n1HO1THh8I

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Of course the moment I decide to preorder the game is when the thread starts going hard on it and makes me question why I did so in the first place :v:

(I am kidding. Mostly.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm probably the most critical person of it here and for all the ways I think it's a worse-designed game than the first one, even I think it's still good and worth playing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Unlucky7 posted:

Of course the moment I decide to preorder the game is when the thread starts going hard on it and makes me question why I did so in the first place :v:

(I am kidding. Mostly.)

It owns. Good purchase.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Digirat posted:

I'm probably the most critical person of it here and for all the ways I think it's a worse-designed game than the first one, even I think it's still good and worth playing

I'm enjoying it more and I don't know why. I think weapons should be more tied to damage but also I don't give a poo poo, I shall slay a rat and wreck a man.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

does anyone know if you can upgrade to the collector's edition if you've preordered? maybe after launch?

Dunno but I hope this is the case, you could for the first game so I assume it'll be an option now or later.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah, gently caress's sake, lost a full book War Camp because we couldn't deal with the zerker rush the boss summons. Man am I on loving tilt.

On a happier note, I'm pretty stoked about the Executioner Sword's performance. Instakills even Marauders on a headshot, but if you can't dome enemies it reaaaaally sucks. Gonna test out 2H Sword to see if it can at least kill Marauders on two bodyshots to compare.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have unlocked ironbreaker and also got an axe/shield drop at the same time. My body is finally ready.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Hah, gently caress's sake, lost a full book War Camp because we couldn't deal with the zerker rush the boss summons. Man am I on loving tilt.

On a happier note, I'm pretty stoked about the Executioner Sword's performance. Instakills even Marauders on a headshot, but if you can't dome enemies it reaaaaally sucks. Gonna test out 2H Sword to see if it can at least kill Marauders on two bodyshots to compare.

I lost a full book veteran monolith because we got a chaos spawn in the first tunnels and never quite bounced back.

veteran feels like a huge jump in difficulty, honestly if nothing else than because you can't rely on starting healing draughts to offset bad loot rng

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

I played War Camp earlier leveling my dorf. Since I've been Huntsman Kruber, I did not realize how much that fight can suck. Also, it cracks me up that the boss says he will fight you alone cuz he doesn't need help then summons adds non stop. :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am playing through the first game and going through the characters (Forgive me I do not have names memorized yet). Bouncing rats with the shield is fun with the Dwarf, as is going turret with the Witch Hunter. Elf was pretty fun until I spend an extended period without an ammo refill.

I do have a question about Bright Wizard: Is there a effect with the state that she is on fire, other than exploding if you use magic too much? Do I want to vent that right away?

Honestly, the first game does not do such a good job actually explaining mechanics, other than "There are rats. Go kill rats."

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Skypie posted:

I played War Camp earlier leveling my dorf. Since I've been Huntsman Kruber, I did not realize how much that fight can suck. Also, it cracks me up that the boss says he will fight you alone cuz he doesn't need help then summons adds non stop. :v:

A champion of the ruinous powers lied? Why i never! :v:

Honestly, a huntsman Kruber just makes that boss fight a nonfactor, so much so that i have a hard time playing any other class.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

BombiTheZombie posted:

A champion of the ruinous powers lied? Why i never! :v:

Honestly, a huntsman Kruber just makes that boss fight a nonfactor, so much so that i have a hard time playing any other class.

2h hammer + blunderbuss = :getin:

Now that I have a better feel for the rhythm of the warhammer, it's amazingly good for wave control or bonking around heavies while the shotgun just erases marauders or Stormvermin.

I'm certain Huntsman will be seriously adjusted somehow

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guess the character :v:

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Kruber?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ironbreaker is basically perfect. Fell off a cliff into a rat swarm, team left me, did it alone. Took me a while to get through them all, but that's the old grumbler for you.

E: also yeh that the koober

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Why did they remove the Damage Taken stat anyways? It's the only one I really cared about in VT1.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Unlucky7 posted:

(Forgive me I do not have names memorized yet).

Mr.Moustache, Okri's Cousin, PyroGrandma, Thatfuckingelf, Victor Saltzpyre.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Also why isn't there a chaos killed total like there is for skaven?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Hero power affecting cleave/stagger is the loving worst idea in the world. It means that a melee weapon's function and role change dramatically when you pass arbitrary power points where a weapon suddenly morphs from "lovely garbage that gets stuck on one chaos guy" to "crowdcleaver 9000" and I hate it. I have several friends who have tried weapons at low levels and developed opinions of them totally sucking poo poo because they don't actually work properly at low levels due to this and I've had to convince them to try them again.

Hero power affecting damage does this to certain weapons(handguns and crossbows, primarily), but at least it doesn't affect every single melee weapon.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Ratfight 2 would be even better if it had a fighty cinematic trailer like the original, instead of the more subdued/cheaper one featuring Chess Piece Sigmar they went for

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 6, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also why isn't there a chaos killed total like there is for skaven?

I wouldn't be surprised if endgame stats change for release. It's probably not the number one priority but also not too hard to implement and everyone knows nerds love a good stat.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
After 30+ missions trying doing everything I could to solve my crash problems(even after the small patch) I had a wipe and gained a level.......

Got a new flamethrower for my dwarf and dropped the drakefire pistols......

Just went 7 games in a row without a crash

wtf

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Zephro posted:

Ratfight 2 would be even better if it had a fighty cinematic trailer like the original, instead of the more subdued/cheaper one featuring Chess Piece Sigmar they went for

Yeah I was sitting at work trying to remember what the Vermintide trailer was so I looked it up to refresh my memory. It was way cooler.

Also I feel like the cinematic doesn't really make sense for Vermintide 2. It feels like it should come after a prologue or something where the characters are captured before the tutorial mission starts

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vermintide2 should really have a balls to the wall Manowar style trailer that ends with a chaos knight getting shot point blank in the face by Kruber.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The transition doesn't even make sense; they get captured at the end of VT1 and free themselves in VT2, and during that time they all go through their career evolutions? Or am I missing something, like maybe there was time before VT1 proper and its final bonus DLC mission leading to VT2?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

toasterwarrior posted:

The transition doesn't even make sense; they get captured at the end of VT1 and free themselves in VT2, and during that time they all go through their career evolutions? Or am I missing something, like maybe there was time before VT1 proper and its final bonus DLC mission leading to VT2?
Presumably the career evolutions are meant to happen during the events of V2, right? They unlock at certain levels so there's time for the characters to get a shave and a mohawk / become a forest hobo / decide that cocaine fire is actually good and please can i have more etc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so for crafting, you craft/find a base item, pump its rarity, reroll trait/properties, and then when the power on this rng-dependent labor of love becomes obsolete you do the whole process again?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just craft poo poo later and use what's good for now. I've crafted a couple of things but only to give them a go at my current power.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
As someone who is currently playing Huntsman Kruber a lot, they really need to remove the blunderbuss from the career. It would basically fix Fatsharks issue of him making bosses trivial while allowing Huntsman to still work.

The blunderbuss doesn't even work with his headshot talents and the Huntsman is locked into using only that weapon due to the synergy it gets from his career passive. The weapon is the problem, not the career. I would love to experiment with other ranged weapons but can't just due to how stupidly OP the blunderbuss is for him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think people complain or point out flaws more despite liking the game specifically because Fatshark has a long history of actually fixing the stuff that's awkward or off in their games. Patch 1.5 Ratfight 1 was basically a different, better game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The elf needs a super nerf with its unlimited ammo after lvl 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Does anyone have a list of what the weapon traits are? I still don't know what "Versatile" means.

• Locked thread