Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Burnstyle, it was saintly of you to agree to show him around St Augustine, if only to make sure that... you know... this guy isn't having some sort of psychotic break all alone in a foreign country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Drunk Nerds posted:

Okay, so now we have a saga. The JoshCornell account poster on Q4T who declared he had found every casque, asked to sleep on people's couches, then cursed constantly at anyone... has flown to Orlando from (I think) Canada. They are planning to dig Houston tomorrow. I should mention that another poster constantly showed him overheads of where he was going to dig, saying "IT'S A PARKING LOT, NOW!" over and over, to a resounding chorus of "nuh-uh" from JC

Not an armchair Psych, but this really feels like a Muerte situation.

Can you link me up? Don't have much time to track down JC's dumb trail over there.

e: nevermind, what a dumb kid.

Herv fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 15, 2018

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

Drunk Nerds posted:

Burnstyle, it was saintly of you to agree to show him around St Augustine, if only to make sure that... you know... this guy isn't having some sort of psychotic break all alone in a foreign country

I thought about that. I have a group coming along.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Nevermind. He just sent me a message on q4t. He isn't coming to st aug. He thinks it's in Tallahassee lol

*edit- he just said in a thread that he is coming to st aug next...

We will see.

burnstyle fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 16, 2018

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Film the encounter and put the link up on Youtube.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
There is growing evidence that he hasn't left his basement and is just making up a wild adventure . No one believes him, anymore, yet he continues

The next step is claiming to have found a casque and then refusing to show a pic

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Welp I was wrong. JC did come to america. Burnstyle met him in FL, posted a cool pic, argued with him about his solves, and generally did an amazing job of S. Hospitality.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Got a link? I don’t follow this stuff anywhere else but it sounds like there’s some entertaining stuff happening.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

Got a link? I don’t follow this stuff anywhere else but it sounds like there’s some entertaining stuff happening.

http://quest4treasure.co.uk/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=6e374a963247f6715da1beba8f99165f

Start by clicking any thread that's in ALL CAPS!!!!

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
That Josh Cornell kid is wonderful...a true wealth of knowledge unto himself.

Anyone Houston people here? What do you make of this: the lines made by the brick layout need to be followed to the point hinted at by the partial identifier for Atropos which justifies in a strong way that we draw a line off the 4-equal sided length diamond in its face. It seems this point also extends directly to intersect with the jewel-vertical axis on the camels mouth.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This makes no sense at all.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

Anyone Houston people here? What do you make of this: the lines made by the brick layout need to be followed to the point hinted at by the partial identifier for Atropos which justifies in a strong way that we draw a line off the 4-equal sided length diamond in its face. It seems this point also extends directly to intersect with the jewel-vertical axis on the camels mouth.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 22, 2018

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

[quote="Urban Smurf" post="481540036"]

Is Urban Smurf quoting someone or is this his theory?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Waltzing Along posted:

This makes no sense at all.

The idea is pretty clear, though I've drawn some sloppy yellow lines to highlight those long straight lines in the painting, which do converge over to the left side. The question is whether anyone can see the partial match hiding in that rectangular selection with the dune and pillar that looks just like the sculpture on Miller Hill. The face has a diamond shape. You can see the tip of the theater through its center. The letters WOOD are on the sculptures plaque. Since the poem verse says "in the middle of four alike", that may be indicating the diamond with 4 equal side lengths. The verse says "through the wood", which supports looking through WOODward's sculpture. The verse also says "no lion fears", so I think that's a tricky way to sight the apex of the theater's roof through the diamond to help pinpoint a spot on the ground. That pinpointing looks like a straight vertical line when standing a ways down on the hill, so I wonder if the painting is using the camels mouth to represrnt the mouth of the Atropos Key sculpture.

The bigger question is whether it can be demonstrated that this idea works to find a casque.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Never stop never stopping Urban Smurf :allears:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Someone's nonprofit put an original copy of the secret on ebay. That was about 24 hours ago.

5 days left

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Abebooks.com has a used copy up for $4527.95 USD. Another for $1500.00.

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo

Urban Smurf posted:

Abebooks.com has a used copy up for $4527.95 USD. Another for $1500.00.

Anyone move any dirt yet

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

At this point finding a copy of The Secret in a thrift store would be greater treasure than finding one of the casks.

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo
just checking

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Wobbulated posted:

Anyone move any dirt yet

gently caress you! I broke my wrist digging!! :cry:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

At this point finding a copy of The Secret in a thrift store would be greater treasure than finding one of the casks.

Whoa

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Have any of you read the actual story part of The Secret, the part that Preiss hired people to write? I've been wondering if it was any good or hilariously bad or anything like that. I remember reading that the treasure clues are all in the paintings and poems so I figure a lot of people just ignored the story part.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

...so, the book contains a story about the original fair-folk which was presumably written by BP, then the images/verses, and then a series of entries on modern fair-folk by National Lampoon types. The idea that parts of the book are irrelevant starts with a comment from Egbert:

"B.Preiss was a very good poker player, and was not giving out any hints about any of the other locations. However, he did confirm my theory that the countries of origin of the faeries do connect with the sites. He also said that the pages following the verses (which make up the bulk of the book) have NO connection with the puzzles, and contain no additional clues."

The first part can be found here, the last part isn't available online AFAIK. The first part def contains clues (eg a reference to the Fountain of Youth), none have been demonstrated in the last part so far.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

tacodaemon posted:

Have any of you read the actual story part of The Secret, the part that Preiss hired people to write? I've been wondering if it was any good or hilariously bad or anything like that. I remember reading that the treasure clues are all in the paintings and poems so I figure a lot of people just ignored the story part.

It's horrible. Just descriptions of underwhelming mythical creatures with humor that is heavily pun-based.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I was definitely 100% going to read that portion of the book but it snowed really hard and also my friends wanted to go camping and also you guys are too obsessed with this thing I've posted more about than 99% of you and also I broke my wrist so maybe I'll read it next spring, we'll see.

suck my cock Xie you fuckboi, you don't even deserve to be called a fuckman

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
JoshCornell was banned for the second time. He is now putting on a clinic on how to sock puppet horribly:

- Creates a new account and posts, "I've been lurking here a long time and shame on all of these bullies." When, in fact, you can't lurk without creating an account.
- Calls out literally the most mild-mannered, encouraging new person on the forums for being a bully
- Pulls out an older sock puppet account, then proceeds to argue "You know I can't be JoshCornell because..."

Mental illness is a bitch

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

great big cardboard tube posted:

I was definitely 100% going to read that portion of the book but it snowed really hard and also my friends wanted to go camping and also you guys are too obsessed with this thing I've posted more about than 99% of you and also I broke my wrist so maybe I'll read it next spring, we'll see.

suck my cock Xie you fuckboi, you don't even deserve to be called a fuckman

Since the travel channel special, a bunch of Xies have invaded the boards. Posts "surefire" solutions, refuses to share yet usually asks for help contacting a park official, gets super butthurt if anyone doubts them or says "hey, don't brag about finding something you haven't found yet."

Something about these puzzles really lends itself towards these mental-word-salad people. narcissistic losers, and people who have obviously never had a discussion on the Internet before.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
New Person: I have definitely solved it. Thanks to everyone for helping me! Not going to share my solve, so no one steals it. [does lengthy speech thanking everyone.]
Me: Why did you make a new account to post this?
New Person: I forgot my password

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
... I have to remark that the first part of the Houston podcast was very good. Interesting how a solve (and what appears to be like the correct solve) can be so spot on, yet be just right next to where the "sure-fire" wiki solve is located (which now seems like it may be incorrect). Looking forward to more podcasts. Listening to the older veterans talk about their decades of experience with the hunt makes one remember just how important it is to retain and maintain historical ties. The history of the Houston, Chicago, and Cleveland puzzles have been remarkably interesting.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The two-part "first we interview a reasonably smart guy who did an amazing job digging but still came up short, THEN we are going to interview the maintenance people and parks officials who interacted with this guy," is promising

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
I think wilhouse's history, story, and communication with BP are important to the hunt. Even if his solve (which I believe is true) shuts down Houston.

Wilhouse genuinely wants to help people find this thing. He honestly hopes his solve isn't correct, so that someone can recover Houston.

We are having to treat these two podcasts with kid gloves, because wilhouse was hosed over by Renner. (My words not his... wilhouse has been rather polite about the situation) since then he has avoided talking about the secret publically.

He has become more active recently... due in no small part to the warm reception he has gotten from this latest episode.

I'm sure he appreciates it. I certainly do.

burnstyle fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 5, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You ain't gonna find poo poo bros.

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Was that a xie(sh) pun the at the beginning? If so i chuckled

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

burnstyle posted:

I think wilhouse's history, story, and communication with BP are important to the hunt. Even if his solve (which I believe is true) shuts down Houston.

Wilhouse genuinely wants to help people find this thing. He honestly hopes his solve isn't correct, so that someone can recover Houston.

It's super hard for people like me, who came into the hunt in the 2010s, to make our own determination, because most of the photos he posted are gone. I went back right after listening and read both the image and verse threads, but it was hard to determine if I should agree with Wilhouse that he probably found the solve or if I should agree with Wilhouse that the solve may likely be somewhere else.

Did anything get posted to the podcast site that would help? Maybe I should start regularly visiting there.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's super hard for people like me, who came into the hunt in the 2010s, to make our own determination, because most of the photos he posted are gone. I went back right after listening and read both the image and verse threads, but it was hard to determine if I should agree with Wilhouse that he probably found the solve or if I should agree with Wilhouse that the solve may likely be somewhere else.

Did anything get posted to the podcast site that would help? Maybe I should start regularly visiting there.

There were 18 or so pictures on the podcasts facebook page.

If you want I can try and put an archive together for you.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

cheeeeesecake posted:

Was that a xie(sh) pun the at the beginning? If so i chuckled

The xie situation irritated the poo poo out of me. Yeah it was a dig.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

burnstyle posted:

Yeah it was a dig.

Somebody dug something?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

What if Byron Preiss buried beer?