Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It would be really nice if for the Starcraft anniversary they unlocked the Vulture mount from that one specific promotion where you have to give out codes and get like ten people to level a character up to 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kai Tave posted:

It would be really nice if for the Starcraft anniversary they unlocked the Vulture mount from that one specific promotion where you have to give out codes and get like ten people to level a character up to 10.

You mean the promotion where you level five accounts to ten yourself???

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

NameHurtBrain posted:

With Malfurion's rework, I actually think there's a void in Supports now as a ranged caster type who doesn't need to be aggressive - a holy priest type would take that. A shadow priest would probably be a lot of fun to design and play. Character wise we have Anduin(what excitement) for holy, and for Shadow? I got nothing.

Multi-class, baby! Hearthstone has Shadowreaper Anduin as a "what if" hero. He can be both.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SirSamVimes posted:

You mean the promotion where you level five accounts to ten yourself???

I mean I hate myself, but I don't think I hate myself enough to do that.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kai Tave posted:

I mean I hate myself, but I don't think I hate myself enough to do that.

It was mostly just boring at that time, playing whoever was on free rotation for a ton of QM games.

Wouldn't it actually be a lot faster to do it now after Heroes 2.0, since your player level is just your sum of hero levels above 1? And the recruit account gets a 5-day stimpack, so you could probably get it to account level 10 in 10-20 QMs. Not a completely an insignificant grind, but not just an impossibly long one either.

That said, I still think locking the loving Vulture behind RAF was dumb.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
When I smurfed the accounts for the vulture most games had one or two other people in it who were obviously smurfs as well. Accounts named using the random name tool (NastyRogue, WildMage, FancyDruid, etc) or just poo poo like "VultureMount" or "SmurfyMcSmurf" is a clear giveaway.

Probably not a great first experience for players who have no idea what they're doing to get obliterated by a smurfed valla/ming, but lol if Blizzard thinks most people are going to genuinely refer four people to the game and get them to level 10.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For the first several months of the vulture event, there was no "Dropped due to inactivity" checker in AI games. So I would do an all-AI game (allies included), spend 8 minutes pushing all keeps, then pull all allies to my core. The enemy team would then spend the next several hours pushing back catapults. If by chance they managed to also get objectives between all of that, our presence at our core meant we didn't lose easily.

Each 8 minute investment lead to several hours worth of exp, which made the whole process pretty easy. Every now and then a new hero will have an odd feature doesn't get flagged as inactive, like Stukov doing lurking arm or Medivh in bird form.

I actually did refer two friends as well :shobon:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Charles Bukowski posted:

I guess this is really only a QM problem, but melee assassin people (woot), what do you do when the enemy team is effective tanks and ranged assassins? I've been recently playing Illidan and Kerrigan and I love them to bits, but I find some matchups I feel really useless. If we can't peel then I'm either jumping at the backrow and dying, or ineffectually plinking at tanks and then also die. Or, I'll get a stray kill with a lvl 20 modified ult, which is fun, but rare and also stupid as I leave myself wide open alone usually in enemy territory. I had enemy hanzos and genjis and they're more mobile than me and also ranged and I'm like how is that fair? I hope this is more asking for help rather than complaining :P

Like bamhand says, you still belong on the enemy back line. I like getting the "sweeping strikes goes over terrain" at 4, so you can sneak flank after the main engage has started.

For Kerrigan, you may be on "combo their front line" duty. I'm no good with her, so not sure.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bogart posted:

That Mira/Matt writeup seems specific enough and different enough from their Starcraft 2 Co-op depiction that it almost feels legitimate to me. Also, cool as hell.
Summoner hero (Matt) = fake leak

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I really wish that they add Anduin Lothar one day, just because I think his portrait from Warcraft II looked super cool.

Uther, meanwhile, has a bad case of babyface without his beard.

Edit: BrianBoitano, I just realized that you got a new avatar. It's nice!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To everybody who feels like the idiots only ever end up on their own team, I just had a game where the enemy Zuljin ganked me as I was clearing a brusier camp, killed the last merc, and then just...walked away, leaving a completed camp sitting there unclaimed. No one was around to threaten him, he could have taken it if he wanted to, but he just decided to wander off somewhere else, allowing me to take it when I respawned.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkDdDjhEBcc

I freaking love murky.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I am currently 6 wins and 10 losses with Varian in QM since I decided I might as well give him more of a shot. Three of those games had leavers/AFKers and wound up in losses, though one was at least relatively close-ish.

I had two games as Varian against Chogall and I went Twin Blades in one game, Colossus Smash in another and both seemed to do decently well though both games inevitably wound up in losses anyway. I had a Twin Blades game where our Ana was a bot the entire game and we actually came close to winning until Zagara back-doored our core. The biggest problem with Varian is that his build diversity is really, really awful, and pre 10 he feels like an unfinished character which is rough because I have no idea what I'm really supposed to be doing until then. He can't really tank, he's not really an assassin, until level 4 his sustain is kind of garbage...he just feels bad to play until you get your heroic. Maybe there's something I'm missing. It's a shame because all three Varian post 10 styles are honestly pretty fun, Colossus Smash is incredible in a lot of cases and even plan ol' Taunt Varian is fun in a "get stuck in and don't die" sense.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Ana game seemed like a lost cause since the AI seems to have gotten even stupider than before, it would do things like go into Eye of Horus with 1/3rd life and just sit in lane all alone with enemies roaming the map. We were down in level and down in buildings so I said gently caress it, whatever. Then we nearly turned it around.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think I have a better winrate with Twinblades than anything else because it is obvious as gently caress when you should take Twinblades and far less obvious for the others. Like I can never tell when I am supposed to give up on accomplishing anything and just use taunt on the Leoric I never made it past so I never use it and it's just crap.

I finally forced myself to finish HL placements and I don't know what to say. Any and every glass cannon skill shot character is horrifically tense to play as and any character that is just whatever dive those fuckers is relaxing and easy. Managed 8-2 and got stuck in Plat 1, which I wholly do not deserve. I had one game as Azmodan where we had no healer but we just pushed three lanes at once on the bad diablo map and nothing matters in this game does it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

kater posted:

I think I have a better winrate with Twinblades than anything else because it is obvious as gently caress when you should take Twinblades and far less obvious for the others. Like I can never tell when I am supposed to give up on accomplishing anything and just use taunt on the Leoric I never made it past so I never use it and it's just crap.

I finally forced myself to finish HL placements and I don't know what to say. Any and every glass cannon skill shot character is horrifically tense to play as and any character that is just whatever dive those fuckers is relaxing and easy. Managed 8-2 and got stuck in Plat 1, which I wholly do not deserve. I had one game as Azmodan where we had no healer but we just pushed three lanes at once on the bad diablo map and nothing matters in this game does it.

The losing streak will come. I am so ready for the next season.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

kater posted:

I can’t make any sense of this paragraph. When is it obvious that you should take twin blades? What does “give up on accomplishing anything” mean? Why would you use taunt on Leoric? What do you mean by “the Leoric I never made it past?”

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Emotionally, the passing of king leoric was really tough on us all and many have not moved passed it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

beejay posted:

I can’t make any sense of this paragraph. When is it obvious that you should take twin blades? What does “give up on accomplishing anything” mean? Why would you use taunt on Leoric? What do you mean by “the Leoric I never made it past?”

1) take twin blades when you hate your team when your team has a separate hard CC tank and the enemy has one or fewer hard CC tanks, and also doesn't have blinds or AA debuffs, meaning you can stick to squishies.

2) he means he can't get past Leoric to reach someone *worth* taunting, I guess because slows and bodyblocking. I'd say fair point in an open engagement, but if you manage approaches with LOS and bushes this isn't that big of a deal, especially since Varian has E and Leo's slow does nothing to that.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

1) take twin blades when you hate your team when your team has a separate hard CC tank and the enemy has one or fewer hard CC tanks, and also doesn't have blinds or AA debuffs, meaning you can stick to squishies.

Unless you're triple warrior or double warrior double support you should probably just always go taunt. You still poo poo out damage because of Overpower. Taunt Varian can chunk Tracer for half her life in the duration of a taunt.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
One of my funniest game was as taunt-Varian vs a suicidal Genji. He never seemed to figure out that diving us with dragon blade wasn’t a good idea. I don’t think I’ve actually even tried twin blades, taunt has always felt like the better option.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'd pretty much always prefer Smash to Twin Blades

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Take Taunt Varian when your team doesn't have a tank.

Take Smash Varian when your team already has a tank, but could use a bruiser.

Take Twin Blades Varian when your opponents draft a really squishy team with no blinds or CC and proceed to loving obliterate them.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If they're squishy then Taunt or Smash will obliterate them just as well if not better than Twinblades. Unless your team is terrible. Then you have to go Twinblades I guess. Like if no one on your team is able to attack the guy you charge and then hold in place for 2 seconds.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I really wouldn't be bothered by a teammate going TB below high plat or diamond, play's uncoordinated enough that he can clean up ok.

But smash seems like a better TB in general unless you really want the sustain for splitpushing or PvE. I certainly enjoy it more.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 6, 2018

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

bamhand posted:

If they're squishy then Taunt or Smash will obliterate them just as well if not better than Twinblades. Unless your team is terrible. Then you have to go Twinblades I guess. Like if no one on your team is able to attack the guy you charge and then hold in place for 2 seconds.

are we playing the same game

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

My friends suddenly all want to play twin blades

I think I have a 0% win rate when my friends pick twin blades

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I'm not sure who else I should learn for mostly flexing into assassin slots. I mostly played Valla and Sonya for TL, but I kept getting caught and blown up on Valla whenever anyone focuses on me. Any advice on what to work on for staying out of range of people yet still being able to contribute to fights or solo laning on Valla? Teammates asked for that and I just went along with it and got blown up by Alarak.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

1stGear posted:

are we playing the same game

Taunt Varian is one of my highest win rate heroes in HL/TL. It's really simply to just click on the guy he taunts and then that guy is deleted. Even most mediocre/bad players can manage that. Also Overpower + Taunt gives you like 2-3 trait procs with a 25% damage bonus to your trait damage so he does a ton of work just by himself.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I dunno in gold at least it seems like anyone picking twin blades ends up with twice the deaths as anyone else. The only possible reason I see for picking it over smash is to solo bosses and that is pretty risky behavior.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yukari posted:

I'm not sure who else I should learn for mostly flexing into assassin slots. I mostly played Valla and Sonya for TL, but I kept getting caught and blown up on Valla whenever anyone focuses on me. Any advice on what to work on for staying out of range of people yet still being able to contribute to fights or solo laning on Valla? Teammates asked for that and I just went along with it and got blown up by Alarak.
Imo you shouldn't draft a ranged dps into the solo lane with a few weird exceptions like Falstad and Greymane. Bruisers (like Arthas, Dehaka, Blaze, Leoric, Thrall, Maiev) just seem really strong right now and tend to be better in the solo lane. Valla needs a support around because her life total is so low and she has no sustain until 13.

If you're on a 3-lane map and your team has already picked a mage I guess you almost have to pick one, but Greymane would probably be preferable to Valla if you have to solo.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 6, 2018

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

No Wave posted:

Imo you shouldn't draft a ranged dps into the solo lane with a few weird exceptions like Falstad and Greymane. Bruisers (like Arthas, Dehaka, Blaze, Leoric, Thrall, Maiev) just seem really strong right now and tend to be better in the solo lane. Valla needs a support around because her life total is so low and she has no sustain until 13.

If you're on a 3-lane map and your team has already picked a mage I guess you almost have to pick one, but Greymane would probably be preferable to Valla if you have to solo.

This was post-draft, I forget the other 4 but I definitely don't like being in the solo lane with her because I'm so drat squishy.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

I used to love Valla but I get owned every time I pick her now. Multishot build doesn't do enough damage and I've never been too into the dueling Q build.

I've seen other people own with her recently so it's probably just me but she feels really squishy. Maybe I need to pick her in teams with a stronger front-line.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

5.5 range just isn't what it used to be

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Don't think of Q as a dueling thing. It's a great poke/overall nuke that you can use any time in a team fight.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The whole "solo lane" thing is really loving with games in the lower tiers. People don't understand drafting for a solo lane or playing it, which leads to trouble if the other team does. The other day my team had an Artanis a Sonya and a Malthael and they wanted me to solo lane as Guldan. Needless to say we did not win.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

maybe he meant "dualling", like, you use it twice

But yes hangering arrow level 1 means you should just spam it off cooldown.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

beejay posted:

The whole "solo lane" thing is really loving with games in the lower tiers. People don't understand drafting for a solo lane or playing it, which leads to trouble if the other team does. The other day my team had an Artanis a Sonya and a Malthael and they wanted me to solo lane as Guldan. Needless to say we did not win.
I blame blizzard for making the bruisers too much fun and so cool looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

No Wave posted:

maybe he meant "dualling", like, you use it twice

But yes hangering arrow level 1 means you should just spam it off cooldown.

No I mean dueling, when I've seen people play the build effectively they seem to get a lot of picks by hitting both Qs with the reset and bursting someone down 1v1. I can see it being useful in teamfights too but then the arrows damage becomes less focused.

I just feel like I get blown up every time I try to step up to do damage with her, and she needs to get autos in too for hatred, and its hard to consistently auto. I gave up on her and mostly play mages now if we need an assassin--at least they can get it, dump skillshots, then get out without having to worry about all them autos.