Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's me as a dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

mamma-mia dad... wtf am I going to do with all these a frozen a pizza pies

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Is my kid supposed to be a Mario brother or something

this entire exchange had me laughing until it hurt.

what's turmeric for? I use it but I don't actually know why I use it. It's just my mum uses it in the recipes, so I follow suit. All I know is, it makes things orange, like a poor man's saffron.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Q8ee posted:

this entire exchange had me laughing until it hurt.

what's turmeric for? I use it but I don't actually know why I use it. It's just my mum uses it in the recipes, so I follow suit. All I know is, it makes things orange, like a poor man's saffron.

It's for making Indian food, and for turning your fingers yellow if you eat with your fingers, and for staining your clothes forever if you drop some food on them.

The flavor's not incredibly powerful per unit of spice, but it's definitely there. Try mixing, say, a teaspoon of turmeric into a cup of warm milk with a bit of sugar if you want to get an idea of the flavor (it's also supposed to be good for you, this is how my mom took turmeric daily for a while)

Edit: since you like lentils, look up a dal recipe. You can make dal with any kind of lentil AFAIK, but I like it with black lentils best. I don't have a recipe for you because my wife makes it from memory, but basically you're gonna cook lentils, ghee, water, garlic, ginger paste, turmeric, and chilis... there's probably a few more ingredients but I'm not the one who cooks it. I think you can add some tomato sauce.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 5, 2018

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any good dry rub suggestions for chicken? I have a simple Mediterranean rub that I use with some olive oil and bake for like 25 minutes, but looking to try something different.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

obi_ant posted:

Any good dry rub suggestions for chicken? I have a simple Mediterranean rub that I use with some olive oil and bake for like 25 minutes, but looking to try something different.

Old Bay!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can anyone recommend any general health-conscious cooking blogs that are minimal on the hippy-dippy "nourishing" cliches and aren't based around one specific diet?

obi_ant posted:

I like jarred Tandoori Masala and Jamaican Jerk seasoning for when I don't feel like mixing one up myself.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

BrianBoitano posted:

1. Literally any soup recipe, just replace the water/broth in the ingredients and BAM! Upgraded soup. We just did this yesterday with a corn soup - the recipe called for water, we had corn broth. Yum.
2. Is it already seasoned? If not, toss with toasted sesame oil and soy sauce and re-crisp in 400° oven for 5 minutes. You can add other flavors if you'd like, but this would be the most basic I'd do.

Casu Marzu posted:

Take broth, toss whatever veg you want to get rid of in. Add a noodle or a rice or a meat if you desire. Season to taste. Simmer until everything is tender.

I like to eat roasted seaweed with rice and/or pickled things.

I have two kinds of the sesame, one that is just roasted with a bit of salt, and the other is sesame. I was just referring to the plain one.
Much thanks, guys :tipshat:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Someday I will be the dad that does that :kimchi:

Is there anything particularly good for this? My girlfriend is starting an Internship, so I’m going to see her for the first week and cook her some stuff.

I’m already going to make a big batch of tamales in my giant steamer, but I’m not sure what else would be good.

We’re both vegetarians.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Eeyo posted:

Is there anything particularly good for this? My girlfriend is starting an Internship, so I’m going to see her for the first week and cook her some stuff.

I’m already going to make a big batch of tamales in my giant steamer, but I’m not sure what else would be good.

We’re both vegetarians.

Bean stews — you're going to have to go deep on substitutes for bacon and salt pork (surely, vegetarianism 101? garlic and smoked paprika, I'd say), but red beans and rice, black bean soup, moros y cristianos, vegetarian chili (this one is my favorite), split pea soup, hoppin' john, navy bean soup, pasta e fagioli, frijoles charros, Boston baked beans...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Guys, i'm sick

can I make quesadillas in the oven? I dont trst myself with a frying pan right now

edit: holy god no a cup of cheese?!? https://snapguide.com/guides/make-cheese-quesadillas-in-the-oven/ i'm gonna make mine with some minced preserved red peppers, canned tomato and chilles, monty jack and gouda, and a bun of other stuff in my house I dont have to go to the store for

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 6, 2018

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Yeah, should be fine, go for it

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Do it but make sure to use at least a cup of cheese, doesn't work otherwise

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Guys, i'm sick

can I make quesadillas in the oven? I dont trst myself with a frying pan right now

edit: holy god no a cup of cheese?!? https://snapguide.com/guides/make-cheese-quesadillas-in-the-oven/ i'm gonna make mine with some minced preserved red peppers, canned tomato and chilles, monty jack and gouda, and a bun of other stuff in my house I dont have to go to the store for

I used to make quesadillas in a toaster oven all the time, I'd just put cheese on half the tortilla then fold it over and toast it. I'd suggest something similar using the broiler; my oven has a low broil setting which would probably be perfect.

How sick are you though? I always make quesadillas on my flat cast iron pan and it's about as easy as it gets, the trick is that you can't wander off or else it'll burn guaranteed.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DasNeonLicht posted:

you're going to have to go deep on substitutes for bacon and salt pork (surely, vegetarianism 101? garlic and smoked paprika, I'd say)

Mushrooms provide ~meaty umami~ and texture as long as they're not against them in general. Vegetarian Worcestershire, Bragg's liquid amino, vegemite, parmesan (cheese and rind when appropriate), tomato paste, nutritional yeast, MSG, miso paste, and soy sauce are all useful subs when you do dishes that normally get meaty throughout.

My favorite vegetarian freezer meal isn't actually a soup but an empanada. This recipe in particular is insanely good: https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/jamaican-veggie-patties-recipe.html

You can get variety by switching fillings or condiments. Make half per the recipe and serve with chimichurri. Make another half with Tex-Mex fillings and serve with salsa. Make a third half with Indian spiced filling and serve with a chutney or yogurt sauce.

My usual changes to that recipe is to make the dough before the filling (not sure why it's printed the other way) and to add canned beans. Pinto for the base recipe, black beans if I'm going Tex-Mex, etc.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Guys, i'm sick

Black beans are good, but if you're not doing stovetop you can't sauté onions or garlic for them :(

If you have canned Chipotle peppers in particular that's a slam dunk, and can help with your sinuses if they are giving you problems. Chop them up, I do about 1 pepper + 1 tsp sauce per serving but I like spice so maybe start with less.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pham Nuwen posted:

How sick are you though? I always make quesadillas on my flat cast iron pan and it's about as easy as it gets, the trick is that you can't wander off or else it'll burn guaranteed.

i am on every antihistamine

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Who craves a quesadillas when they are sick is the real question. Is that an old abuela home remedy I'm not aware of?

Edit: Did see the reply. Guessing it's a different kind of sick than vomiting, achy, weak, nose issues.

sterster fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 6, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

i am on every antihistamine

my dude i feel your pain i'm barely making it through today with a prednisone

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

Guys, i'm sick

I'm probably a bit late here, but you could always make enchiladas. Same flavours and ingredients as quesadillas, but they're meant to be baked in the oven, and you can easily reduce the amount of cheese in them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made quesadillas and didn't burn down the house. Bonus quesadillas in the fridge, and I used up a bunch of open-about-to-go-off cheeses in my fridge. Trip report, Swiss cheese, colby jack, smoked gouda, and mayonnaise with select canned garden vegetables and spices in tortillas makes a fine meal when your sinuses and throat are growing cactus and you can't speak for fear of attracting nearby frogs in the mating season.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I followed this recipe for Jamaican Jerk Seasoning and it's pretty bland. I used drumsticks and basically dipped the chicken into the seasoning (like if I were egg washing a chicken before flouring). Brushed the chicken with olive oil, I then baked it. Here is a picture of how I spiced it. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

If spices are bland my first guess is that they were pre-ground, old, or probably both. My second guess is not enough salt.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd also say add some ground cloves and maybe bump up the cayenne.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Is it bland as in no taste (ancient spices) or bland as in other flavors are present but it isn't hot enough? Because it definitely isn't as hot as a normal jerk recipe.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

legendof posted:

If spices are bland my first guess is that they were pre-ground, old, or probably both. My second guess is not enough salt.

They were pre-ground, but I also did purchase a majority of the needed spices that same day at the local Whole Goods. But who can say how long they've been sitting on the shelf. There doesn't seem to be enough salt either.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd also say add some ground cloves and maybe bump up the cayenne.

I will take a look.

Anne Whateley posted:

Is it bland as in no taste (ancient spices) or bland as in other flavors are present but it isn't hot enough? Because it definitely isn't as hot as a normal jerk recipe.

The flavors were really subtle, and the spiciness wasn't really there either.

Any suggestions to a jerk rub that you guys have actually used?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

make your own chili powder #1

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Grind all of your own spices every single time you use them. Even turmeric. It takes seconds, and the payoff is tremendous. Just do it, it's worth it.

Spices, sitting in a sealed glass container, will lose flavor within hours of being ground, sometimes faster. I don't even think about nutmeg or mace until they're ready to go in the dish. Try it yourself - grind some cumin, put it in a sealed jar, and put it with the rest of your spices. In one week, flavor something with a tiny bit of fresh and week-old ground cumin. You'll notice a difference.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Can you grind turmeric at home? We have some in the freezer, and it behaves the same as ginger - you can grate it, but it'll always be a wet mince, not a powder.

Just curious based on your "grind" terminology, are there other ways to do turmeric besides grating? Dry the whole root, then grind?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Anyone have a solid copycat recipe for PF Chang's Sichuan style asparagus? Surprisingly I was only able to find a couple random recipes and none seemed very legitimate.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

Can you grind turmeric at home? We have some in the freezer, and it behaves the same as ginger - you can grate it, but it'll always be a wet mince, not a powder.

Just curious based on your "grind" terminology, are there other ways to do turmeric besides grating? Dry the whole root, then grind?

You can treat the fresh rhizome like ginger, or you can buy or make dried turmeric, which is what I do. Grate on a microplane.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

why have I had so much more luck with meltingly tender meat in a pressure cooker than I ever did in a slow cooker? I remember going crazy trying to figure out why all my beef turned out so tough and chewy after 10 hours in the slow cooker, but it's like no matter what I do, I can't seem to gently caress up meat in the pressure cooker. why is one more forgiving than the other?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

why have I had so much more luck with meltingly tender meat in a pressure cooker than I ever did in a slow cooker? I remember going crazy trying to figure out why all my beef turned out so tough and chewy after 10 hours in the slow cooker, but it's like no matter what I do, I can't seem to gently caress up meat in the pressure cooker. why is one more forgiving than the other?

Because temperature affects the rate of chemical processes, a higher temperature cook in an environment with terrific conductivity means you transform the tough, stringy, chewy stuff into smooth and tasty goo more quickly. Look up kinetics, to relate it to your engineering education.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Surprisingly I've had the opposite. The pressure cooked meat can come out alright, but its not ever as moist / tender as if I do things in the slow cooker. When I've had it go too tough / stringy in the slow cooker it was because I was trying to cook it on high instead of low or cooked it on low for too long (>8h typically).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lawnie posted:

Because temperature affects the rate of chemical processes, a higher temperature cook in an environment with terrific conductivity means you transform the tough, stringy, chewy stuff into smooth and tasty goo more quickly. Look up kinetics, to relate it to your engineering education.

awesome, cheers for the engineering term to look into it more. how'd you know I study engineering? I may have said it before in the thread, but I didn't think I was that memorable for you to remember.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Also, all day braises aren't ideal. There's a point where you can cook all the moisture out of the meat and be left with a dry hunk surrounded by a pool of fatty braising liquid.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

awesome, cheers for the engineering term to look into it more. how'd you know I study engineering? I may have said it before in the thread, but I didn't think I was that memorable for you to remember.

You post more than anyone else in this and the small questions thread.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

So, probably a basic question but one I've never known the real answer for.

Tonight I made some shell pasta with a mornay sauce from scratch (gruyere, parmesean) along with some vegetables.

I made too much and I'm going to have plenty of leftovers. Whenever I do this and I refrigerate it, it clumps up and is no longer creamy and delicious when you reheat it. Polar opposite of next day bolognese sauce.

What's the best way to reheat pasta with a from scratch mornay sauce the next day?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is the sauce separate? If so, you can reheat low and slow, whisking in a small knob of butter or a small amount of milk to get everything to emulsify again.

If it's already mixed in, I suggest tossing it all in a casserole, cover with cheese, and bake until golden brown.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Casu Marzu posted:

Is the sauce separate? If so, you can reheat low and slow, whisking in a small knob of butter or a small amount of milk to get everything to emulsify again.

If it's already mixed in, I suggest tossing it all in a casserole, cover with cheese, and bake until golden brown.

It's already mixed in. Your idea is pretty much what I was thinking, I've never had luck bringing it "back to life". Casserole it is, thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If I'm lazy I'll do 2 more Tbsp of pasta starch water in each serving of leftover, then reheat reaaaally slowly in a microwave, stirring a bunch. Not foolproof but office kitchen friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lawnie posted:

You post more than anyone else in this and the small questions thread.

I should probs tone it down.

threw 10 of these spicy bois into my chicken curry, totally nailed the heat level I enjoy. I chopped them up, half finely, half chunky. I don't know why I never put spice into my food before, I've kinda fallen in love with it recently. it just feels so much tastier, and I swear it's an appetite stimulant. it makes me hungry and want to eat more, and then I get to sit in a food coma with these waves of heat radiating around.