Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Agreed that damage needs to go up faster. I forgot where this is sourced from officially, but inside the GR, monsters are easier than the equivalent Torment level. I also forget the exact reasoning but it was something along the lines of GR being balanced around a 4man group iirc. Because of that, it was the overall ~10% number for a solo player.

It has been long enough that I looked at the raw numbers that I can't cite anything, but that is what stuck with me.

The important takeaway though, is as you said, your damage needs to grow a lot faster than your survivability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

exquisite tea posted:

That’s really only true in the mathematical sense. In function certain builds will eventually run out of ways to survive long enough to hit the monster, and others will run out of ways to do enough damage. Once you’re into the upper 90s any progress is going to be determined not through gear and skill alone, but favorable mob comps, pylons, density, and the player’s own judgment.

Oh yeah of course but it's handy to know that the enemy health goes up on a sharper curve and roughly how much it is per level.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Sets that have a defense bonus that relies on "hit X mobs for y% per mob less damage" are generally horrible design and suck to play in groups. Hammerdin is one of those.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

exquisite tea posted:

Not a fan of these last couple challenge rifts actually providing a challenge. I like them better when they’re just laughing at bad rando specs and getting EZ mats in five minutes.

This has been annoying. First two (that I've attempted) that I gave up on and couldn't beat on the first try. Usually the formula of 4 people pub game and mashing buttons is enough, but these last couple have been so lovely with their builds.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Kind of a silly question, but how exactly do people play DMO frozen orb? Is there a good video or writeup I could check out? I know someone said it's a pretty brainless build a few pages ago but I'm playing above like T8 for the first time in my life, so I'm still pretty nooby :kiddo:

I'm putting together the pieces for it now and generally have an idea of how it works, but making sure that you are in melee range to have your explosive blast/OID buff AND being far enough away to get the double explosion from unstable scepter on frozen orb seems to be conflicting ideas, especially when some builds out there don't even happen to use teleport at all (which seems insane to me on HC).

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Dameius posted:

Agreed that damage needs to go up faster. I forgot where this is sourced from officially, but inside the GR, monsters are easier than the equivalent Torment level. I also forget the exact reasoning but it was something along the lines of GR being balanced around a 4man group iirc. Because of that, it was the overall ~10% number for a solo player.

It has been long enough that I looked at the raw numbers that I can't cite anything, but that is what stuck with me.

The important takeaway though, is as you said, your damage needs to grow a lot faster than your survivability.

The decision to actually reduce the scaling of damage and emphasize the scaling of HP was actually like a giant decision they made awhile back that only happened several years into the game and after the reboot, and was much applauded

Basically what you describe used to exist and it was a hellscape that de-incentivized grouping because there was no guarantee that you'd get more value if your teammates were potato; with more weighting towards HP scaling and less towards damage you are able to have fun with potato friends who would rip 30s into HC

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I honestly found orb to be pretty annoying. You have to manage your AP, wait for CoE to hit cold, make sure you've got the enemy in a bubble at that point, and then dump your AP into orbs while you have your CoE damage buff. The you spend a bunch of time running around with low AP while you wait for it to recharge for your next cold damage cycle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Kind of a silly question, but how exactly do people play DMO frozen orb? Is there a good video or writeup I could check out? I know someone said it's a pretty brainless build a few pages ago but I'm playing above like T8 for the first time in my life, so I'm still pretty nooby :kiddo:

I'm putting together the pieces for it now and generally have an idea of how it works, but making sure that you are in melee range to have your explosive blast/OID buff AND being far enough away to get the double explosion from unstable scepter on frozen orb seems to be conflicting ideas, especially when some builds out there don't even happen to use teleport at all (which seems insane to me on HC).

I personally am not a fan of working Black Hole into that build and much prefer to keep Teleport, rune Point of No Return either naked or by cubing Crown of the Primus, and wearing APDs. The 4-sec stun from your slow time bubble makes it much easier to get off double explosions from Frozen Orb. Something else that I find helpful is putting Orb as the '1' button on my hotbar instead of right-click. You'll waste less animation time spamming 1 until you run out of AP and then just holding LMB down again to restore it.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I'm running Tal frozen orb instead. Easier, more effective and you don't even use CoE.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

D2 forb sorc was my favorite D2 build ever .

Well before Enigma. Before the dark times.

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007

thechalkoutline posted:

The decision to actually reduce the scaling of damage and emphasize the scaling of HP was actually like a giant decision they made awhile back that only happened several years into the game and after the reboot, and was much applauded

Basically what you describe used to exist and it was a hellscape that de-incentivized grouping because there was no guarantee that you'd get more value if your teammates were potato; with more weighting towards HP scaling and less towards damage you are able to have fun with potato friends who would rip 30s into HC

You also used to get unavoidable 1 shots by affixes like jailer and thunderstorm which was really dumb so I'll take HP scaling over going back to that poo poo.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Spacely posted:

You also used to get unavoidable 1 shots by affixes like jailer and thunderstorm which was really dumb so I'll take HP scaling over going back to that poo poo.

Whoa, forgot about old Jailer + (any bad thing) lining up perfectly in HC, gently caress; could strike anyone anyrift

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Jailer was so bad that hardcore GR groups would instantly TP and leave the game if the RG was crusader king. At the time, Blizzard's stance was that jailer was fine as is.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

My friends don't believe me when I tell them about launch d3. I would love to read and in-depth post mortem of that poo poo. If it included what it was like when Jay left and the new team started fixing poo poo, even better.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

All I really remember from D3 launch is that jailers were cunts and making mad bank from the RMAH.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Seleste-1604/hero/99027083

I've been fiddling with an Inna's Wave of Light build, but I think I've hit the ceiling of what I can do with it. This is my torment 10 speed run configuration and I can push torment 12 by subbing out Nemesis for Spirit guards, but even then I'm taking uncomfortable damage spikes.

Now, my recovery from Inna's is so ridiculous I go from 20% health back to 100% (with a 800k hp pool), but on hardcore, any larger spikes means instadeath.

Is there anything I can do spec wise to mitigate that to a greater extent? I've been trying to get back another pair of Unity without much luck. I could probably sub out In-geom for something else but it doesn't look like there's any relevant supporting weapons for this build.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

bamhand posted:

I honestly found orb to be pretty annoying. You have to manage your AP, wait for CoE to hit cold, make sure you've got the enemy in a bubble at that point, and then dump your AP into orbs while you have your CoE damage buff. The you spend a bunch of time running around with low AP while you wait for it to recharge for your next cold damage cycle.
I'm not really running into AP problems since I'm wearing shame of delsere, though again, I'm only playing around on T8-9 atm. Either way, I'm finding the build much more fun than firebird. I like having to pay attention to positioning and stuff idk

exquisite tea posted:

I personally am not a fan of working Black Hole into that build and much prefer to keep Teleport, rune Point of No Return either naked or by cubing Crown of the Primus, and wearing APDs. The 4-sec stun from your slow time bubble makes it much easier to get off double explosions from Frozen Orb. Something else that I find helpful is putting Orb as the '1' button on my hotbar instead of right-click. You'll waste less animation time spamming 1 until you run out of AP and then just holding LMB down again to restore it.
I'm still hunting around for some parthan bracers, but point of no return is the plan. I didn't think about crown of primus, but that seems like a good option for cubing.

The armor slot seems sorta open for cubing on this build? I see some people cube shame of delsere and wear witching hour, I was thinking aquila but don't know how useful that would really be in a pinch.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The lightsabers were also way more common if I remember right and also they had rage timers. Man vanilla was duch a poo poo show and I still don't know how I managed to play so much of it. D1 and D2 had so much good faith credit to burn through.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah arcane was a huge bitch and arcane jailer meant bullshit death every time. Was that when you had to spirit walk back to your corpse to revive too?

I think I played for 2-3 months and then quit until about a month ago when I started again.

Edit: Oh haha, and I just remembered why I called my first character "ThirtySeven".... error 37 on launch. Good times.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 6, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

arcane jailer is why the first time i played d3 since putting 150 hours on a nonseasonal wiz at launch was season 12 :)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I should sit down and make a list for fun sometime. I remember legendaries were both rare (hours between drops) and useless (which meant we called them shitbeams). Instead of drops scaling automatically to your level, they were based in what act you were in. Better stuff dropped from A4 than anywhere else, and you pretty much needed that poo poo to be able to progress past A2. Even the first area of A2 was a brick wall, which meant a lot of us were relegated to killing jail warden guy/butcher over and over again. Looking back, I cannot believe I put up with it. Drugs let you deal with a lot I guess.

Oh and since yellows were your best chance at an upgrade you had to pick em all up and hoped they rolled high ranges of exactly all the stats you needed. Woo!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Not a fan of these last couple challenge rifts actually providing a challenge. I like them better when they’re just laughing at bad rando specs and getting EZ mats in five minutes.

How are you supposed to do this weeks NA challenge anyway?

Singularity mages + Simulacrum is good for the few seconds of up time it gets, but after that the build has nothing besides waiting for it to cooldown again.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

Oh and since yellows were your best chance at an upgrade you had to pick em all up and hoped they rolled high ranges of exactly all the stats you needed. Woo!

Oh boy I remember those days, when you were always more excited for yellows than legendaries

It was like trying to find perfect cruel d2 magic weapons only decades later

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I put thousands of hours into D2 (was my favorite game ever at that point) and only made it to level 30 something on my first and only character of vanilla D3. I got one legendary (goldwrap?) in act 1 on the 2nd difficulty which I tried to hawk on the auction house because it was terrible. I couldn't progress even buying cheap upgrades (with gold, gently caress paying real money) on the auction house so I gave up entirely. I don't remember even trying alternate characters or anything it was so bad and horribly grindy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The challenge rift was annoying for sure. We 3-manned it and only beat that guy's time by like 35 seconds.

Necromancer is not my jam

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Necromancer is not my jam

bone storm is still the best/lazy T13 build ever. 1 button every 60 seconds. :v:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

That sounds like my precise jam

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Vakal posted:

Singularity mages + Simulacrum is good for the few seconds of up time it gets, but after that the build has nothing besides waiting for it to cooldown again.

I didn't bother beating it but ran it enough and got to within a couple seconds of beating it while playing poorly. Skip the 2nd floor basically and make sure you have bone armor up whenever you cast mages.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Any differences with how DH Impale and Monk WoL play on console that would make one more appealing? I love DH in general, though I remember WoL monk being a lot of fun when I could cast it wherever I click on PC. Since you can’t target that precisely on console, I was debating whether it would be as fun.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

mentalcontempt posted:

Any differences with how DH Impale and Monk WoL play on console that would make one more appealing? I love DH in general, though I remember WoL monk being a lot of fun when I could cast it wherever I click on PC. Since you can’t target that precisely on console, I was debating whether it would be as fun.

It is literally the most fun build on console.

Console characters do double damage to make up for the poor accuracy, but the smart targeting is plenty good enough for WoL

And best of all.... You can hold down the "GONG?" button instead of clicking over and over and over and over

Lame part is how short the field of view distance is on console. The max damage zei stone of vengeance range is technically off screen, but your character will still auto target an enemy off screen if it's within range of the ability.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Vakal posted:

It works much better in a group. More mages = faster killing = more corpses for essence = more mages. Keep bone armor up, use your curse in large packs so you don't get 1-shot (though you still will), and use your generator from max distance. Don't bother trying to wait for full essence mages, just keep pumping them out at 1/4-1/2 of a globe. Stick together for the faster killing/corpses deal, but also so that if someone dies, you still have 3 others nearby to make getting back up to speed with armor/mages much easier than if you split off and try to solo.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I lmao @ the forum handle "big cummers ONLY" every time anyway that's my story

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Got it from a mod in a random name change thread and you're right, it owns

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Oh man vanilla, so much dumb poo poo we put up with. Remember the shitstorm the online requirement caused? Then they did a midnight pst release so im up at 3am est trying to get past that error to play. The end game was grinding act 1 for loot for other classes (the game never gave you loot for your class) so you could sell it on the auction house to then buy the gear you wanted. Then there is the moment you got a class item you wanted but then it had an affix for another class. As a DH I loved those crossbows with str. Then all the legendary items were crap, were there even sets yet? I lasted barely a month and didnt touch it again till the day the expac came out. Its crazy that blizzard was able to turn this game around to something really good because it was their worst at release.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Still have my beautiful launch night Wiz from 2012. Only the 830,353rd D3 character ever created!

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Yuppidoo-1198/hero/830353

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No battle cruiser pet for console

Uninstalling

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No battle cruiser pet for console

This is extremely disappointing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is extremely disappointing.

Has anyone on PC gotten it? I can't tell from their phrasing if it's available today, or after today.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Has anyone on PC gotten it? I can't tell from their phrasing if it's available today, or after today.

I had it when I looked a coupla hours ago so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

How do you get it?! I came back after a long break and pets weren't even a thing before

I hate the one I have now