Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
If it has a health bar treat it as a unit, and if it has a power symbol then it's a building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lichtenstein posted:

Dear goons,

please share your favorite, fun & baller custom team compositions.

nano hover, charge tank + abe, grapple tank (all brutes for the achievement, too)

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

girth brooks part 2 posted:

If it has a health bar treat it as a unit, and if it has a power symbol then it's a building.
It's still a bit weird that those civilians don't mind their houses being on fire, though :v:

Artelier posted:

Quick Question regarding FTL: The one that Into the Breach provided is the "Advanced Edition," which I've also got if I bought the base game ages ago, even if it only says FTL: Faster than Light, right? I can just give this new copy freely*?

* Restricted to my region of South East Asia
I'm pretty sure the Advanced Edition is basically a free upgrade to any FTL version. Regardless, my Steam library says "FTL: Faster than Light" and definitely has the AE content available.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is grid defense the only random number roll in the entire game?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Captain Foo posted:

nano hover, charge tank + abe, grapple tank (all brutes for the achievement, too)
Nano is science though, unless you somehow don't mean the hazardous acid-spitter.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Depends if you count Vek AI targeting and available shop selection.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lichtenstein posted:

Nano is science though, unless you somehow don't mean the hazardous acid-spitter.

Nah you're right, i was mixing up two different runs i did; the brute squad was cannon/grapple/charge, the other was nano/lightning/boulder

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

vek spawns, vek spawn locations, vek targeting, shop contents, pod locations, pod contents, island layout, enemies and rewards, map layout and hazards, the final maps.

there's a shitload of random rolls in this game

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Argue posted:

Follow-up question: if, using the Zoltan pilot, I fire a non-lethal shot with the tank and it backs into a mountain, will it die? (self-damage plus mountain)

Yes, but if you kill a vek from either the shot or the push damage you’ll survive.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just got my first hard win with Rusty Hulks carrying every smoke item I could find. Lost a pilot, but I managed two perfect islands, which really helped things snowball in the right direction.

3 island clear got me more survivors than a perfect run would have on normal. So, that's nice. All I got left is finding the FTL pilots, and I can buy the secret team.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A little late, but the best custom team to me was the starter cannon mech, hazardous mechs cannon mech w/Abe inside, and a laser mech/punch mech. Too much damage to care, a little bit of push if you need it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/rotational/status/971027095701934088?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Prav posted:

vek spawns, vek spawn locations, vek targeting, shop contents, pod locations, pod contents, island layout, enemies and rewards, map layout and hazards, the final maps.

I mean obviously the game is procedurally generated.

I'm saying grid defense seems to be the only element where you can look at a still screenshot of pending moves and not know the outcome. Everything else works like chess pieces but that one mechanic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Skill rolls are random so potentially you could have a pilot pending a levelup and getting a HP + is what will save their life.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My Abe has +move/+reactor and he's completed, I think, like 7 final battles

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm saying grid defense seems to be the only element where you can look at a still screenshot of pending moves and not know the outcome. Everything else works like chess pieces but that one mechanic.

There is one edge case that I haven't nailed down yet. If you have multiple enemies taking damage due to a given environmental effect (this happened to me with the Smoky Boys passive) then instead of taking it all at once, they take it one at a time, which is relevant if for instance an Explosive Psion is one of the targets. I would hope that the resolution order would be the same as the enemy turn order, but it's possibly random.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Slime placements are (I think) unpredictable and can gently caress a plan right up

I see grid defense as just a way to counteract the occasional unlucky opening turn. Every once in a while you just can't do anything to avoid grid damage and every once in a while you get a freebie

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Aaaaaaand that's 55/55.

Yeah, this is a really interesting article. One thing I've found that makes things even clearer is enabling colour-blind mode, because it adds an icon to Alpha Vek too - which to be honest, should really be baseline. Would be really interesting to see how much of the development of this was basic engine as well; it'll be a neat little lesson in how interface really is king.

ilmucche posted:

3 of the first squad punch bots, with one having the pilot who moves after attacking. You fly around slugging things and blocking spawns.

This was my choice for the 3x/same on custom squad. It's really powerful.

(For the no-upgrade achievements, 3x laser mech - it's the only way to reliably get 3 damage with a starter mech, which is Important because it means you can annihilate most non-alpha with one shot.)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FreeKillB posted:

There is one edge case that I haven't nailed down yet. If you have multiple enemies taking damage due to a given environmental effect (this happened to me with the Smoky Boys passive) then instead of taking it all at once, they take it one at a time, which is relevant if for instance an Explosive Psion is one of the targets. I would hope that the resolution order would be the same as the enemy turn order, but it's possibly random.

Good call. I honestly wonder if they will patch stuff like that. It's really cool how close this game is to being perfectly clockwork. It doesn't really hurt the game in any way, but I imagine if people get really serious about this game and are playing any sort of serious challenges they will really want to have things work consistently. Especially for things like environmental damage order where it's not an intentional source of randomness.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'd really love it if grid defense was a chance for a shield to go up around a building once it gets targeted by an attack instead of a chance to avoid the attack.

Feral Integral posted:

The big problem i have with the judos is the throw doesn't seem to allow one to chuck enemies into each other. major bummer
Yeah, it would be cool if you could use it for that.
I don't think the judo mech is terrible and absolutely needs a buff. It's got 4 movement and armor, so it can't have a great weapon anyway. But I'm kinda surprised that's not even (included in) an upgrade option.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

I'd really love it if grid defense was a chance for a shield to go up around a building once it gets targeted by an attack instead of a chance to avoid the attack.

Yeah, it would be cool if you could use it for that.
I don't think the judo mech is terrible and absolutely needs a buff. It's got 4 movement and armor, so it can't have a great weapon anyway. But I'm kinda surprised that's not even (included in) an upgrade option.

The answer, as the UI article suggests, is probably that it gets pretty complicated and can't really be expressed cleanly in the UI.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Yeah, seems like a UI thing - even in a vacuum it would be using different rules to 'normal' shifts, never mind if there were buildings or other units nearby.

It'd be cool to have an optional "Advanced Edition" mode with some of the weirder, more complicated weapons/moves they originally had, though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wizard Styles posted:

Yes, something like that would be perfect.

Like clearly it doesn't ruin the game to be random, but it's the most half baked mechanic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like that that article mentions ice originally making things slide around because that makes a ton of sense and I had been wondering why this game seemed to want to have random ice tiles show up on all the maps despite ice not really doing that much.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like that that article mentions ice originally making things slide around because that makes a ton of sense and I had been wondering why this game seemed to want to have random ice tiles show up on all the maps despite ice not really doing that much.

Ice tiles are instakill tiles if you have fire damage.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Fangz posted:

The answer, as the UI article suggests, is probably that it gets pretty complicated and can't really be expressed cleanly in the UI.
What would be needed apart from an arrow showing that the Vek in the landing spot is going to get pushed out of the way?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Will FTL pilots start appearing in regular pods once you've unlocked them, or are they exclusively in mountains even after the first time?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Argue posted:

Will FTL pilots start appearing in regular pods once you've unlocked them, or are they exclusively in mountains even after the first time?

You can start a run with one, but no, never in normal pods.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Mafan is the only good FTL pilot anyways.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

What would be needed apart from an arrow showing that the Vek in the landing spot is going to get pushed out of the way?

An explanation that the ability does not require a vek be present in the destination tile, for example. Also what happens if the destination vek has no room to go. Also clarification that unlike normal push abilities you can't target empty space to get pushback on the pushback tiles.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes, something like that would be perfect.

Like clearly it doesn't ruin the game to be random, but it's the most half baked mechanic.

Can't agree. If a vek threatening a building is already enough to potentially trigger a shield you'd have half the settlements covered in shields all the time with just baseline proc chance because attempting to attack is literally all they do.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think the implementation of it actually has a subtle benefit, in that it ensures that there aren't any formal 'no win scenarios'. The player is incentivized to actually hit 'End Turn' instead of resetting immediately when they see that there's no way to prevent the fatal grid damage. This has benefits in terms of the desired immersion, since just hitting 'quit playthrough' and starting over is a very 'I'm a player interacting with a video game' kind of action, whereas watching the Vek knock down buildings and then the map becoming totally overrun underlines the whole 'I'm a time traveler trying to save humanity' motif.

The other benefit is that when the grid defense does go off, the fact that it's a random and rare reward should trigger a bit of dopamine.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The intent of grid defense is that the game is (slightly) easier than it appears, so it feels tense and you are always fighting to defend every building. If grid defense is just 'the game is randomly easier, some of the time you clearly don't have to do anything and you're fine' then that just breaks engagement.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mindblast posted:

Can't agree. If a vek threatening a building is already enough to potentially trigger a shield you'd have half the settlements covered in shields all the time with just baseline proc chance because attempting to attack is literally all they do.

Oh, I assume he means a shield along with the attack indicator, not a permanent shield that would exist if you cancel the attack.

A way to know before you hit "end turn" if a plan to have one bug hit a building so another bug's shot can knock back the boss bug on the other side of the building that is just about to hit a killing blow on something vital. As it's virtually the only time right now you don't know an exact outcome in advance.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Making grid resist random on the point of taking damage was a deliberate decision. Without it you'd 100% know you've lost the game the turn before you do, making the last turn anti-climactic since you might as well just quit out of the game. As it is you can always continue playing to the end, trying to minimize your chance of losing.

Rynoto posted:

Mafan is the only good FTL pilot anyways.
I think the Mantis is actually better on some teams, he massively elevates any bad mech.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 6, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Making grid resist random on the point of taking damage was a deliberate decision. Without it you'd 100% know you've lost the game the turn before you do, making the last turn anti-climactic since you might as well just quit out of the game. As it is you can always continue playing to the end, trying to minimize your chance of losing.
I think the Mantis is actually better on some teams, he massively elevates any bad mech.

Real talk I have spent some final battles on the last turn watching a bug about to zap my last GP and - literal hands together praying and sometimes it actually works and I win.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If I could make one change, it would be to let me use my reset on the pre-match positioning. It's probably where I make the dumbest mistakes, but it's tough to learn from them because I can't make minor changes to see how the Vek react differently. I've had a few games get derailed because my first turn is bad option vs. worse option and I wish I understood what mistakes I was making more clearly.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Without it you'd 100% know you've lost the game the turn before you do,

The game gives you 100% knowledge of everything else and it's the best part of the game and what makes it different than other games.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The game gives you 100% knowledge of everything else and it's the best part of the game and what makes it different than other games.

Knowing that you have zero chance to win but you're supposed to keep playing is bad. Also this change would have the side effect of making grid defense absolutely amazing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

ice cream is great, so let's have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner

It's not some kind of mistake or oversight that grid defense is random and unpredictable. *Grid defense didn't have to exist at all*

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I like it that grid defence is mostly an upexpected boon rather than something for you to actively count on, you execute the best plan you have at that moment and end up with no grid damage instead of the 2 you'd resolved to take.