Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

My priorities have shifted a bit since my 26th birthday. My parents decided to talk about their finances and what I will eventually inherit from them. It's way more than what I thought it would be, and turns out I'm pretty much set even if I don't save a cent.

However, it's still their money, and I will not have any control of that money until I inherit it, so it might as well not exist right now. However, I'm not thinking about saving as much as possible for retirement like before, but more about having a more comfortable life from my late thirties on. Maybe supplement my income, or be able to afford a take a risk with my career and try something interesting. Who knows what I might use the extra cash for?

I'm currently maxing out my 401k and Roth IRA, and putting anything extra I have at the end of each month (about one third of my take-home) into VFIAX. But since I know I will start withdrawing in around 2030 on, should I keep doing this? I guess this is no longer "long-term" investing, but I didn't know where to put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

moana posted:

I don't think so, I'm just anal retentive about keeping things simple. Which reminds me that I should probably close out my solo 401k and convert it to an IRA soon. Vanguard might be able to merge the two accounts if you ask support about it.
Sounds like a good idea to me - I think you pay an extra annual fee for the solo 401k but I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I looked at the fee structure.

Simple is good.

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it means that the SEP IRA is tax deductible, so if you convert it to a Roth IRA then you'll have to pay taxes on it to convert it. So you pay taxes on it now so you don't have to pay taxes when you withdraw later when you're 59 1/2.
This is probably 100% correct. OP should have an option to convert to Traditional IRA, too. I don't know how to do it, but I know it's doable. If you can't figure it out on the website, call em!

UnfurledSails posted:

My priorities have shifted a bit since my 26th birthday. My parents decided to talk about their finances and what I will eventually inherit from them. It's way more than what I thought it would be, and turns out I'm pretty much set even if I don't save a cent.

However, it's still their money, and I will not have any control of that money until I inherit it, so it might as well not exist right now. However, I'm not thinking about saving as much as possible for retirement like before, but more about having a more comfortable life from my late thirties on. Maybe supplement my income, or be able to afford a take a risk with my career and try something interesting. Who knows what I might use the extra cash for?

I'm currently maxing out my 401k and Roth IRA, and putting anything extra I have at the end of each month (about one third of my take-home) into VFIAX. But since I know I will start withdrawing in around 2030 on, should I keep doing this? I guess this is no longer "long-term" investing, but I didn't know where to put it.
It sounds like you should be set, but on the other hand, I wouldn't count on their money 100% - you never know what happens. I also can't tell approx how old you are from here. If your drawdown date of 2030 means you're around 50, I think you should keep doing what you're doing.

On the other hand, if you're making out both 401k+Roth IRA right now, you *probably* are going to be pretty set for retirement as it is if you're 50 and have been doing this since 26.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Yeah I think I wasn't clear about my age there. I was trying to say I recently turned 26.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

UnfurledSails posted:

Yeah I think I wasn't clear about my age there. I was trying to say I recently turned 26.

I would keep on socking money away; there are lots of not-especially-out-there ways to see the money you think you will get, frittered away long before that actually happens. I obviously don't know your parents situation but all the same it seems unlikely given details so far that you should bank on those funds for your retirement at this point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you're talking like high sevens in a trust that they won't need to depend on, sure, quit saving. But if that number is in any way vulnerable to your parents spending habits, health, or other potential issues, you should not depend on it at all

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also if your parents weren't already in their 40s when they had you, there's a significant possibility one or both will still be alive on the day you retire. Possibly using up hundreds of thousands annually on unreimbursed medical expenses, full-time care in a nursing home, or investing in african princes due to still having control of their money a little bit after they really shouldn't anymore.

My stepdad and mom have assured me I have a substantial inheritance coming, but I'm just pretending in my head they're gonna live forever and planning as though I'm not getting one red cent.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah unless it's in an (irrevocable) trust, don't count on anything.

People typically spend over 50% of savings in the last 5 years of their lives, regardless of how much their savings was in the first place. Medical treatments, living expenses and other such things will always skyrocket up to match the amount of money available for them.

You're also at the mercy of a lot of unknowns. Falling out with your parents? Money gone.

Parents divorce and each remarry? Money cut to 25%.

Parents decide to retire in Maui with an oceanfront 2 HD condo? Money gone.

Waiting for rich parents to die is a terrible retirement plan. My grandparents died when my parents were 58. You won't know for 30 years if your Plan is going to work, or if you're going to start saving for retirement at 58 when you go through the estate paperwork and discover they got scammed or had it all invested in Toronto condo land.

Like the wise Kyoon said, these problems are less severe the more money your parents have (America.txt) and potentially irrelevant if they have an irrevocable trust in your name with the big bucks in it, but I would be careful about planning your life around "parents dying while I'm still young and without any changes to their wealth or health or relationship with me"

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Thanks for the responses. I agree that things can change, and I'm still saving aggressively as if my parents don't exist. My indecision mostly is related to the allocation of my savings here, as in I'm not sure whether I should continue maxing out my tax-advantaged accounts or just enough to get the company match and some in a HSA, and stash the rest in a taxable account where I can withdraw whenever I want without penalties. Or maybe something in between these two extremes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Roth IRA contributions can be withdrawn at any time for any reason. That's $5,500 a year which might put you in that Between the Two Extremes you mentioned.

Regarding skipping the 401k, though, you'd be valuing the "chance" of needing/wanting that money before retirement age over the Guarantee of avoiding taxes.

Ignoring tax shelters in favor of taxable investing is the opposite of saving as if your parents don't exist.

Also don't forget that your asset allocation influences your liquidity as much as your tax shelters. The early withdrawal penalty is significantly lower than the last 3 stock market crashes.

Basically, you currently have no real retirement plan, although you're doing a good job with the saving part and have some good prospects for your future.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

UnfurledSails posted:

Thanks for the responses. I agree that things can change, and I'm still saving aggressively as if my parents don't exist. My indecision mostly is related to the allocation of my savings here, as in I'm not sure whether I should continue maxing out my tax-advantaged accounts or just enough to get the company match and some in a HSA, and stash the rest in a taxable account where I can withdraw whenever I want without penalties. Or maybe something in between these two extremes.

Not to dissuade you from saving nor to encourage you to drastically change your lifestyle, but if you're living on rice and beans just so you can put yourself on a path to retirement by 50, it's okay to not do that.

And you absolutely can/should try to find a happy medium in savings that isn't just company match 401k or max everything.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

totalnewbie posted:

Not to dissuade you from saving nor to encourage you to drastically change your lifestyle, but if you're living on rice and beans just so you can put yourself on a path to retirement by 50, it's okay to not do that.

And you absolutely can/should try to find a happy medium in savings that isn't just company match 401k or max everything.

Counterpoint: Maxing an IRA and a 401k ($23,500 a year) puts you on track for retirement after a 30-year career (napkin math, 30 years at 6% real and $23,500 annual payments = a retirement balance of $1,858,000 and monthly income of $6,200 with the 4% withdrawal rate).

I don't get the impression that he's on rice and beans, maxing IRA/401k, or on path to retire at 50 unless it's via inheritance.

Definitely allow yourself a healthy and enriching life, but don't think that maxing IRA/401k is a crazy penny pincher's move.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Start working in your early 20s with a 30 year career is about 50, right?

The point is just that maxing tax advantaged space at the expense of enjoying 30 years of your life isn't BWM, but it's also not the only way to be GWM. Not maxing your retirement savings so you can have a steak every now and then is perfectly okay.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it means that the SEP IRA is tax deductible, so if you convert it to a Roth IRA then you'll have to pay taxes on it to convert it. So you pay taxes on it now so you don't have to pay taxes when you withdraw later when you're 59 1/2.

This is what I figured. From what I've been reading, my advantage of just going full Roth (instead of keeping my SEP) now is that today I'm in a low income bracket, so if I (hopefully) am in a better financial position by the time I retire, whatever taxes I pay are going to be far less than what I pay in the future.

So I sacrifice today's tax break for a future tax break.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

UnfurledSails posted:

If you post some real numbers people can probably give you a better idea of what makes sense

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Like the wise Kyoon said,

I feel it's important to emphasize we're not taking about a wise Kyoon, because he was anything but. We're taking about a wise Kyoon Griffey Jr.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Imagine not knowing who Kyoon was in context of KGJr's username.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
1. Last week I set up a SEP IRA and contributed $1800 (this was the limit given my 2017 income)

2. During the weekend I opened up a Roth IRA and contributed $5500. When asked, I applied the whole thing to 2018.

I'm now thinking of just converting the SEP IRA to a Roth IRA.

Vanguard tells me the SEP will be rolled into the Roth I opened in step 2.

What I'm not clear is whether the money in the SEP will be applied towards my 2017 contribution limit, or my 2018 limit.

Vanguard told me that they just send paperwork to the IRS that shows the contribution was made in 2018 but they don't specify what year it's applied to (which is weird, because they specifically ask that when making a contribution). So my understanding is that it will really just depend on what I inform the IRS in my tax filing.

I was hoping maybe someone could shed some clarity on that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Imagine not knowing who Kyoon was in context of KGJr's username.

I don't just have to imagine.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm gonna be honest - I thought Kyoon just reregged and was stabilized on some good meds now. Didn't know KGJr was just a fan!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

UnfurledSails posted:

We stand to inherit a very substantial income when my in laws leave for the golden shore but I’m 46 and this could easily be 20 or more years away. The women in the family have been known to make it deep into their 90s and develop dementia.

So, I’m maxing every savings advantage I have as I just can’t count on the inheritance, I still need to put kids through college and my wife might need it so as not to be a burden on our children towards the end.

My personal plan is to just assume we will see none of it. Maybe that’s extreme but eh, I don’t intend to bag groceries in my 70s.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Rebalancing/REIT question:

Say I have approximately 30k in a Roth, 30k in a 401k currently invested in target funds (total of 60k). If I wanted to rebalance my funds to:

Total Stock: 45%
Total International: 36%
Total Bond: 10%
REIT: 9%

Would it make sense to:

1. Place Tax inefficient (Bond/REIT) in to the 401k ($11.4k)
2. Place all of Total Stock (27k) in to Roth.
3. Use remainder of Roth (3k) /401k (18.6k) for Total International

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Tax efficiency doesn't matter since they are both tax advantaged accounts. I'd do the split based on fees. It's common for 401k offerings to have a decent low fee total us or s&p500 funds while having high fee international or reit funds. This is why I have almost all my us stock in my 401k and all of my international in my Roth.

So ya, my suggestion is to try and split based on what gives the lowest fees.

The easiest option is that you have 50% of the amount in each account so just modify your diversification slightly and go 50% us stocks in there and everything else in Roth.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
So I've decided late I want to do the Backdoor Roth for 2017. Does anyone know of a guide/wiki/site that covers what sorta things I need to pay attention to when filing my taxes for 2017? I checked the OP but it didn't explicitly mention it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dustoph posted:

Tax efficiency doesn't matter since they are both tax advantaged accounts. I'd do the split based on fees. It's common for 401k offerings to have a decent low fee total us or s&p500 funds while having high fee international or reit funds. This is why I have almost all my us stock in my 401k and all of my international in my Roth.

So ya, my suggestion is to try and split based on what gives the lowest fees.

The easiest option is that you have 50% of the amount in each account so just modify your diversification slightly and go 50% us stocks in there and everything else in Roth.

The 401k money is just a vanguard account (no matching until later this year). My understanding was that you wanted to preferentially put things with a likely higher return in to a tax-free account like a Roth?

For the remainder of the year, I have to use a taxable account. Should I rebalance in the middle of the year?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Dick Nipples posted:

So I've decided late I want to do the Backdoor Roth for 2017. Does anyone know of a guide/wiki/site that covers what sorta things I need to pay attention to when filing my taxes for 2017? I checked the OP but it didn't explicitly mention it.

File form 8606. It's pretty simple -- part 1 covers the nondeductible contribution and part 2 covers the rollover.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
As a follow up to my Vanguard saga, it turns out that they do still offer mutual fund only (no brokerage capability) accounts specifically for people like me. It all has to be done over paper, not online, with a couple of extra hoops, though. I'm working on that process now.

simble
May 11, 2004

As someone going through that process with vanguard, it sucks!

As you said everything is paper for account setup.

Also, you can’t do any in-kind transfers. If you need to move a Roth over from somewhere you have to liquidate everything first. This transfer process is a form you have to fill out and send in by mail as well.

Hopefully after this form I can put most things back on autopilot.

My personal opinion: gently caress FINRA forever. Its my wife who works for a FINRA member. Before we got married I had my own accounts despite us cohabitating for years. Then after we got married her compliance department wanted statements.. ok no problem. Then I made the mistake of wanting to move my taxable account to another broker. Then we learned that her compliance department and the department that collects statements don’t actually talk to each other. The compliance department said we don’t know about this other account that you’ve been sending statements in for 2 years! Get rid of it! And here we are. /rant

simble fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 8, 2018

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Yeah it's not ideal, but since all I want to do is buy one mutual fund and then just keep funneling money into it, I'm hoping that once I get the initial setup done it will be simple. Even if that's just a phone call a month telling someone to put $X into Y like I have to do currently with my brokerage account, that's still fine by me.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
My wife's company just switched from a 401k at John Hancock to a SIMPLE IRA with American Funds. The fees are poo poo (1.38%!), but we're still contributing to get our 3% match. My understanding is that after 2 years we can roll over any funds in the SIMPLE to her trad IRA, once per year. My question is does that rollover count towards the $5,500 annual contribution limit? If not, is there a reason why we wouldn't want to try to max her SIMPLE IRA ($12,500) yearly and then just keep rolling over into the trad IRA every year to take advantage of the (much!) lower fees?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Richard Noggin posted:

My wife's company just switched from a 401k at John Hancock to a SIMPLE IRA with American Funds. The fees are poo poo (1.38%!), but we're still contributing to get our 3% match. My understanding is that after 2 years we can roll over any funds in the SIMPLE to her trad IRA, once per year. My question is does that rollover count towards the $5,500 annual contribution limit? If not, is there a reason why we wouldn't want to try to max her SIMPLE IRA ($12,500) yearly and then just keep rolling over into the trad IRA every year to take advantage of the (much!) lower fees?

I'll be damned I had no idea. So you can do this while still employed there?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

H110Hawk posted:

I'll be damned I had no idea. So you can do this while still employed there?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf

That's my understanding. The more I read about it, the more I think that as long as we a.) don't rollover prior to two years after the date of the first contribution to the SIMPLE and b.) only perform one rollover per year, we're good (it's a rollover like any other). This is basically backdooring a trad IRA, right?

e: This Bogleheads wiki page seems to agree.

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 8, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SpelledBackwards posted:

I feel it's important to emphasize we're not taking about a wise Kyoon, because he was anything but. We're taking about a wise Kyoon Griffey Jr.

first point, Kyoon owned. :kyoon:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm gonna be honest - I thought Kyoon just reregged and was stabilized on some good meds now. Didn't know KGJr was just a fan!

i am, conceptually, loving this

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Kyoon was a symbol. In a way, we are all Kyoon.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a such this as a commodities ETF?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

1. Last week I set up a SEP IRA and contributed $1800 (this was the limit given my 2017 income)

2. During the weekend I opened up a Roth IRA and contributed $5500. When asked, I applied the whole thing to 2018.

I'm now thinking of just converting the SEP IRA to a Roth IRA.

Vanguard tells me the SEP will be rolled into the Roth I opened in step 2.

What I'm not clear is whether the money in the SEP will be applied towards my 2017 contribution limit, or my 2018 limit.

Vanguard told me that they just send paperwork to the IRS that shows the contribution was made in 2018 but they don't specify what year it's applied to (which is weird, because they specifically ask that when making a contribution). So my understanding is that it will really just depend on what I inform the IRS in my tax filing.

I was hoping maybe someone could shed some clarity on that.
This is NOT experienced advice at freaking all. I've never dealt with a SEP before, from an investing or tax standpoint.

With my Roth IRA, I can change the transaction contribution period. Can you do this for a SEP? Because if you can't, I expect Vanguard won't let you go over the 5,500 2018 limit - it won't let me add more for 2017 since it has recorded 5,500. Vanguard support was how I found this when I wanted to change some contributions to prior year, so perhaps it's all different for a SEP....

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

This is NOT experienced advice at freaking all. I've never dealt with a SEP before, from an investing or tax standpoint.

With my Roth IRA, I can change the transaction contribution period. Can you do this for a SEP? Because if you can't, I expect Vanguard won't let you go over the 5,500 2018 limit - it won't let me add more for 2017 since it has recorded 5,500. Vanguard support was how I found this when I wanted to change some contributions to prior year, so perhaps it's all different for a SEP....

Thanks for the tip.

I checked and I definitely can't do that for the SEP conversion, it's only available for cash contributions.

The more I think/read about it, I've accidentally done a backdoor roth (needlessly, given my income). SEP IRAs are basically traditional IRAs with a different contribution restriction (25% of your income vs. a flat $5500).

This would explain why Vanguard shows my 2017 as $0 (as opposed to $1800) and my 2018 contribution as $5500 (as opposed to $7300).

So I guess a different version of my question is: if I do a backdoor roth before paying taxes on the original, traditional IRA contribution, do I need to report that original contribution? Or do I treat it as never existing?

Also, it's pretty much quintessential me stumbling into the most convoluted scenario on my first try.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Thanks for the tip.

I checked and I definitely can't do that for the SEP conversion, it's only available for cash contributions.

The more I think/read about it, I've accidentally done a backdoor roth (needlessly, given my income). SEP IRAs are basically traditional IRAs with a different contribution restriction (25% of your income vs. a flat $5500).

This would explain why Vanguard shows my 2017 as $0 (as opposed to $1800) and my 2018 contribution as $5500 (as opposed to $7300).

So I guess a different version of my question is: if I do a backdoor roth before paying taxes on the original, traditional IRA contribution, do I need to report that original contribution? Or do I treat it as never existing?

Also, it's pretty much quintessential me stumbling into the most convoluted scenario on my first try.
Beat's me why your contrib years show it funny like that, that seems odd. I think Vanguard will issue tax forms to both you and the IRS for the transactions, so you need to record traditional contribution and then record re-characterize it. Again, not an expert - I'm too poor to do backdoor's too.

I would definitely contact Vanguard again, they were really helpful with my moms Solo 401(k).

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

obi_ant posted:

Is there a such this as a commodities ETF?

There are but if you have to ask if they exist then you have no business buying them. There are structural issues from how futures are traded and bundled into an ETF that can just demolish you if you don't understand what you're doing.

For example, UNG is a natural gas ETF that has been a big loser over time because NG futures are almost always contango. See: https://www.investopedia.com/stock-analysis/2013/got-a-commodity-etf-watch-out-for-contango-ung-blnd-gld0214.aspx

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I might be receiving five to ten thousand dollars as part of a car insurance settlement related to my mom's passing. Honestly, I find that really emotionally complicated, and I've been trying to think of how she would've wanted me to use that money.

I think she mainly would've wanted me to use it as an emergency fund, but I'd also like to take a big portion of it and put it in some kind of investment for my niece and nephew (two years old and newborn). That way, when they're going to school or getting their lives started in ~20 years, I can give that to each of them as a gift from their grandmother. We have a history of grandparents giving grandchildren savings bonds in our family, but I have to think that an investment approach would do better.

I have a Vanguard brokerage account. Do any funds come to mind that would make sense for this? I figure it could be a pretty risky fund for the first 10-15 years and then I could move it into something low-risk as they get closer to adulthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
You can do a target date retirement fund of the year you want to give it to them. Alternatively, just do an S&P index. This is what I would do as a parent, and once they were teenagers or so I would let them see their investments grow so that they could get used to the idea that the money can go up and down, etc, to give them a real life education in how investing works, have discussions with them about how they feel about their money going up and down, talk about how much risk THEY want to have and switch to bonds if they are risk averse. This is much more hands on, but imo it would be a million times more valuable than "hey, you're eighteen, here's a thousand dollars you can spend on beer."

edit: also if your state has tax benefits, a 529 plan would be good for this.