Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The oldest woman ever reportedly drank a bottle of wine every day and chain smoked. Genetics, like the french, are weird.

She didn't start smoking until she was in her 70's. I think the entire bottle of wine every day might be a myth but she did eat like 2 pounds of chocolate a day. Real chocolate, though; not this imitation crap America thinks is chocolate.

She also stayed active and rode her bike a lot until she was like 110. She also reported that she was "immune to stress" and the theory is that that was part of why she lived as long as she did. Pretty much nothing got to her ever and we all know exercise is healthy so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gonna quit my stressful job and drink wine all day! My health comes first.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who the hell gets into D&D thinking they're gonna get laid? What kind of weird bizzaro world are your from?!
A certain type of nerd girl, and also guys who get into D&D groups with them... was it just the people I knew in high school?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Was Japanese codebreaking that bad that they couldn't figure out a simple substitution cypher? Have him listen to a lot of talking, write it down, correlate it to facts you already know - if you're routinely hearing the word for "fish" before an assault, maybe fish is something assault related.

Wasn't Japanese military intelligence like, particularly inept? In the typical WW2 Japan fashion of the Army and Navy loving hating each other and their respective intelligence branches never functionally working together?

Seriously reading about the Japanese Army/Navy rivalry it's absurd how much they actively undermined each other. Like "we're just going to conscript your most important dockworkers into the army out of spite because we can" was a thing during the war. But it was a technical improvement over outright interbranch assassinations that happened in the 30s.

Mr Luxury Yacht has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Mar 6, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

She didn't start smoking until she was in her 70's. I think the entire bottle of wine every day might be a myth but she did eat like 2 pounds of chocolate a day. Real chocolate, though; not this imitation crap America thinks is chocolate.

She also stayed active and rode her bike a lot until she was like 110. She also reported that she was "immune to stress" and the theory is that that was part of why she lived as long as she did. Pretty much nothing got to her ever and we all know exercise is healthy so yeah.

If she had eaten two pounds of chocolate a day, she would have had to weight like 500 pounds.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who the hell gets into D&D thinking they're gonna get laid? What kind of weird bizzaro world are your from?!
In the early 90s when I was in high school (Jesus I'm old), there was a D&D style game about Vampires. It was wildly popular and attracted all kinds of horny nerds despite a near complete lack of +3 Swords or Wands of Wonder. It was super easy to get laid going to the LARP (Live Action Roleplays) sessions and being even slightly clean with a decent shirt.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NorgLyle posted:

In the early 90s when I was in high school (Jesus I'm old), there was a D&D style game about Vampires. It was wildly popular and attracted all kinds of horny nerds despite a near complete lack of +3 Swords or Wands of Wonder. It was super easy to get laid going to the LARP (Live Action Roleplays) sessions and being even slightly clean with a decent shirt.
The property is now owned by one of those horny nerds from Sweden.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vampire: The Masquerade? That's still going. Pretty much the same as ever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

See, I didn't get into D&D stuff until I was out of high school. I wasted my high school life being in industrial bands and sleeping with cheerleaders. :(

I do love playing stupid D&D stuff now though. Every year one of my friends throws a big "International Table Top Day" party and it's tons of fun.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

steinrokkan posted:

If she had eaten two pounds of chocolate a day, she would have had to weight like 500 pounds.

Not if it was 70-80 % cocoa, which is pretty common in Europe

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Angrymog posted:

Not if it was 70-80 % cocoa, which is pretty common in Europe

Doesn't matter, it would still be like 5000 calories.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Doesn't matter, it would still be like 5000 calories.

1kg of cocoa is 2280 kcal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A 90% chocolate bar isn't made of 90% cocoa powder. That would just fall apart and choke you to death. The cocoa portion includes cocoa butter and other crap as well.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/lindt-excellence-90-cacao-supreme-dark-chocolate-1-square-119526975

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Mar 6, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, just a frame of reference because this seems like an extremely strange hill for you to die on.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You shouldn't have posted if you didn't want a reply. Anyway, the amount of calories in a chocolate bar has very little to do with the amount of calories in cocoa powder.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No, just a frame of reference because this seems like an extremely strange hill for you to die on.

Maybe, but he won't die on that hill for like another 95 years.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No it's like there's this nice discussion about the oldest living person that's probably mostly hyperbole and he comes in with a complete derail "NUH HUH 2 POUNDS WOULD MAKE HER LIKE 500 POUNDS" :goonsay: And then retroactively editing posts to keep defending this stupid loving anecdote.

Keep defending that hill, dude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No it's like there's this nice discussion about the oldest living person that's probably mostly hyperbole and he comes in with a complete derail "NUH HUH 2 POUNDS WOULD MAKE HER LIKE 500 POUNDS" :goonsay: And then retroactively editing posts to keep defending this stupid loving anecdote.

Keep defending that hill, dude.

I think I will.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Or maybe just look it up? Jeanne Calment did apparently eat a lot of chocolate - up to 2 pounds a week, which is quite a lot of chocolate.

Not 2 pounds a day, which is vast amount of chocolate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like that this thread got this far before anyone thought the mention the late lady's name.

Here is a fun fact: she met Vincent van Gough in her youth and considered him to be a bit of a douche.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i just liked the implication that the chocolate was healthy, because it wasn't american chocolate

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Alaois posted:

i just liked the implication that the chocolate was healthy, because it wasn't american chocolate

Are you implying that American chocolate IS healthy? Because it's not. At all. Any of it. But I still love it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Hard to beat Tsutomu Yamaguchi: he was in Hiroshima in 1945 on a business trip, was about to leave from the train station but realized he'd forgotten his travel papers back at his office. He ended up being 3km away from Ground Zero when the nuke dropped, was wounded and spent the night in an air-raid shelter. The next day he made a dash for safety back to his hometown... which happened to be Nagasaki. So three days later he was back at work, telling his boss the crazy thing that happened, when the US dropped the second nuke, coincidentally also 3km from his office.

Guy ended up dying of cancer, but in 2010 so apparently he was one lucky dude.

I like how he was at work describing how a single bomb had just wiped out a city, and his boss had a go at him for being "crazy". I bet he was at least a little bit smug, pointing out the window and saying "Yeah, see that? Yeah." before making GBS threads himself in terror of the most horrifying thing imaginable.

Slightly related, I can't seem to find it now but I vaguely remember one of the leaked text messages during the 9/11 attacks where a guy in the WTC was texting his boss (who was elsewhere in the country) saying [paraphrased] "I told you I didn't want to loving work in NYC, you can kiss my rear end in hell" or something like that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That reminds me of Rick Rescorla, a disaster/security manager who worked in one of the towers. He constantly had employees of the floors he was in charge of practice disaster drills, and was convinced the WTC would be targeted by a terror attack (and, in fact, was hired after the original parking garage bombing). He was one of those overbearing, forceful "douchebags" who would make office workers practice escape drills for years while working as a security consultant and nobody liked him, until on 9/11 when he led 2,700 people out and died when he went back to look for stragglers.

quote:

When a Port Authority announcement came over the P.A. system urging people to stay at their desks, Rescorla ignored the announcement, grabbed his bullhorn, walkie-talkie, and cell phone, and began systematically ordering Morgan Stanley employees to evacuate, including the 1,000 employees in WTC 5. He directed people down a stairwell from the 44th floor, continuing to calm employees after the building lurched violently following the crash of United Airlines Flight 175 38 floors above into Tower 2 at 9:03 A.M. Morgan Stanley executive Bill McMahon stated that even a group of 250 people visiting the offices for a stockbroker training class knew what to do because they had been shown the nearest stairway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trabant posted:

Motherfucker, take some sick leave.

He credits the first bombing with saving his family because their home in Nagasaki was destroyed but they were out getting him more medical supplies for his wounds from Hiroshima when it hit.

Also his superior was specifically in the middle of telling him that the story of a city-destroying bomb was a load of bullshit when the second one went off, and he was unharmed except for all of his bandages being blown off.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

anonumos posted:

Are you implying that American chocolate IS healthy? Because it's not. At all. Any of it. But I still love it.

no you loving dip, no chocolate is healthy

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Here is a fun fact: she met Vincent van Gough in her youth and considered him to be a bit of a douche.

Checks out. van Gogh was an rear end in a top hat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The fucker only ever half listened to anyone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

my van gogh misspelling reminds me that I misspelled my fuckin' username

fun fact: it should be allan ho

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You're the most famous author from Balmora!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

my van gogh misspelling reminds me that I misspelled my fuckin' username

fun fact: it should be allan ho

(shakes head disappointingly)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Going back to my last Stasi post: I found out that the BStU, i.e. the federal agency in Germany tasked with keeping, reconstructing and researching what's left of the Stasi archives, also offers some interesting stuff on its homepage:

https://www.stasi-mediathek.de/medien/beobachtung-einer-der-spionage-verdaechtigen-ehemaligen-ddr-buergerin/
Surveillance footage of a woman in East Berlin, early 1970s. The woman in question used to live in the GDR before legally emigrating to West Germany. She would frequently return, visiting family and friends who had stayed. The Stasi was afraid that she might have been spying for the West German BND (the only reason for this being her somewhat frequent trips to the GDR) and would observe her every move during her visits. Only after three years of intense surveillance the Stasi higher-ups decided that there was no sign whatsoever that the woman was a spy and stopped the operation.

https://www.stasi-mediathek.de/medien/mfs-schulungsfilm-revisor-ungesetzliche-verbindungsaufnahme/
A training video made in 1984 for internal Stasi use. It depicts the surveillance operation of Paul Bento, a GDR citizen who was given the codename "Revisor" by the Stasi. Bento had been born in 1921 in Stettin/Szczecin and was working as a clerk in East Berlin. In his free time he wrote poems and a utopian novel, much of it subtly and not-so-subtly critical of the GDR (and also pretty badly written, tbh). In 1983, he tried to get his novel published in West Germany, after every GDR publisher he had asked sending the manuscript back. When the Stasi got wind of this, they quickly concluded that Bento must be up to no good and started an extensive surveillance operation. Bento was arrested in 1984 but let go soon afterwards, when even the Stasi had to concede that he hadn't actually violated any law. The training video was made before Bento's acquittal and consists of a Stasi agent describing the case, surveillance footage of Bento leaving his house, footage of two Stasi agents breaking into his flat and searching it for clues and finally footage of Bento being arrested.

https://www.stasi-mediathek.de/medien/uebungen-in-nahkampf-und-selbstverteidigung/
And finally this mysterious and weird video. It mostly shows a bunch of masked guys training for hand-to-hand combat and was presumably shot in an (unknown) Middle Eastern city, probably in the 70s or 80s. Nothing more is known about it, though I have to say that the guy seen from 1:18 onward has some pretty :krad: moves

e: If you can read German, those worksheets (part one, two and three) made for students by the BStU about the Bento case are well worth a read. The second one also shows additional photos made during surveillance and when the Stasi broke into his flat.

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Mar 6, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

holy loly that guy is amazing

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I found a article detailing the utterly terrible medical practices of a forgotten founding father. It's worth a read to see one doctor's stubbornness and inability to see the obvious.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1312212/

quote:

Benjamin Rush has been hailed as “the American Sydenham,” “the Pennsylvania Hippocrates,” the “father of modern psychiatry,” and the founder of American medicine. The American Medical Association erected a statue of him in Washington, DC, the only physician so honored. A medical school is named after him. He was a prolific and facile writer and a very influential teacher. Yet, the only enduring mark he has left on the history of American medicine is his embarrassing, obdurate, messianic insistence, in the face of all factual evidence to the contrary, on the curative powers of heroic depletion therapy.

Rush is one of the more interesting founders due to his eccentricities. Modern right-wingers like to claim him because he was likely the only one who believed the the US was "a Christian nation" and divinely inspired but his anti-war, and anti-capital punishment stances along with his rejection of Hell are completely at odds with modern American 'Christianity'.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Well today I learned the other meaning of facile!

But wow he sounds like a complete madman, bloodletting 100 patients a day.

"Rush estimated that the average person contained 25 pounds of blood and recommended that up to 80% be removed." An adult body actually contains less than half that amount :stare:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like that this thread got this far before anyone thought the mention the late lady's name.

She also said he was ugly and reeked of alcohol.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Tumblr of scotch posted:

She also said he was ugly and reeked of alcohol.

dang, I'd be 3 for 3 if i knew how to paint

Historical fun fact:

The Holy Roman Empire was in fact holy, Roman, and an empire.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

gently caress you say?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

dang, I'd be 3 for 3 if i knew how to paint

Historical fun fact:

drat, I knew my professors always lied to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Sounds like we need to have us a Thirty Years War to settle this.