Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Escobarbarian posted:

poo poo I forgot to get Knack while it was free

JBP posted:

Says you still have time to download knack until the 8th, can't have anyone missing out on knack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
My 6 yr old son is in love with Knack. Since downloading it for free, he has beat the game twice. He's on his third play through and is asking for me to pickup Knack2 since I mentioned it to him.

I'm guessing he's going to like Ratchet and Clank when that's released as the free title right? About the same type of game play?

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I started playing Nier Automata and I'm having a hard time getting into it. I picked it up because tons of people recommended it and it's won a bunch of awards.

Maybe it's not possible to live up to the hype, but I'm a few hours in and besides the fun combat, the rest feels kind of meh. The environments and enemies are pretty bland and it runs like crap on the pro. I do like that it's quirky and different, I guess I was just expecting something a bit more polished. Gonna keep playing and hope that it clicks eventually.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

rotaryfun posted:

My 6 yr old son is in love with Knack. Since downloading it for free, he has beat the game twice. He's on his third play through and is asking for me to pickup Knack2 since I mentioned it to him.

I'm guessing he's going to like Ratchet and Clank when that's released as the free title right? About the same type of game play?

Yes, except Ratchet & Clank is literally better in every single appreciable way. If your kid likes Knack he's gonna lose his mind with R&C

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Nice!

I was thinking about grabbing the Raymond game as well. Seems he's more in the adventure style games than me but it's neat to finally find a genre that he can just play and doesn't require him to hand me the controller every few minutes.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 6, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

MHW was fine for a bit but I've never enjoyed grinding the same poo poo over and over again for loot and that was no exception

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

I started playing Nier Automata and I'm having a hard time getting into it. I picked it up because tons of people recommended it and it's won a bunch of awards.

Maybe it's not possible to live up to the hype, but I'm a few hours in and besides the fun combat, the rest feels kind of meh. The environments and enemies are pretty bland and it runs like crap on the pro. I do like that it's quirky and different, I guess I was just expecting something a bit more polished. Gonna keep playing and hope that it clicks entisöity.

I love Automata but you have to be invested in the characters to care. Though the game does a pretty good job at that I think

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WaltherFeng posted:

I love Automata but you have to be invested in the characters to care. Though the game does a pretty good job at that I think

I really feel like if someone's not invested by the time they get to the amusement park, it's probably Not For Them.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

WaltherFeng posted:

Or invested in :yosbutt:

Well, AND invested in :tutbutt:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I can barely see a difference with HZD on pro vs OG PS4 at all.

Digital Foundry's analysis didn't find much difference either. It's remarkably well optimized on the OG PS4.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bombadilillo posted:

Or invested in :yosbutt:

Well, AND invested in :tutbutt:

Oh yeah, that too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HZD uses supersampling for 1080p monitors on the Pro and a couple other minor enhancements but unless you're playing on a 4k display you will probably not notice any difference from the PSPoor.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Digital Foundry's analysis didn't find much difference either. It's remarkably well optimized on the OG PS4.

Yeah that article kept me from upgrading to pro for a while. But I can say it looks much prettier in 4k, the performance difference isn't noticeable to me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah that article kept me from upgrading to pro for a while. But I can say it looks much prettier in 4k, the performance difference isn't noticeable to me.

The PS4 Pro is a double edged sword because you know other devs wouldn't have taken the time and care for OG users that Guerilla did.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Maybe it's not possible to live up to the hype, but I'm a few hours in and besides the fun combat, the rest feels kind of meh. The environments and enemies are pretty bland and it runs like crap on the pro. I do like that it's quirky and different, I guess I was just expecting something a bit more polished. Gonna keep playing and hope that it clicks eventually.

Far as the gameplay goes I wasn't too crazy about it either. If you keep finding it boring I'd just knock it down to easy to focus on the story. Regarding the story, try to avoid a mistake I made based on things I heard before I started it. I had heard so much about how the game gets good once you do multiple playthroughs. I thought it wouldn't make sense or feel rewarding until you got to some big twist at the very end so I rushed through the story and skipped all the sidequests. Don't do that. While it's true that later playthroughs will recontextualize earlier events, it only pays off if you let yourself get attached to the characters and connect with the story as its presented.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Detective No. 27 posted:

The PS4 Pro is a double edged sword because you know other devs wouldn't have taken the time and care for OG users that Guerilla did.

I think the writing is on the wall here and you'll see more and more lazy devs optimize games based on Pro specs while leaving the base hardware version technically playable but barely more than adequate.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes, except Ratchet & Clank is literally better in every single appreciable way. If your kid likes Knack he's gonna lose his mind with R&C

What if the kid enjoyed intricate melee combat and transformation

rotaryfun posted:

Nice!

I was thinking about grabbing the Raymond game as well. Seems he's more in the adventure style games than me but it's neat to know finally find a genre that he can just play and doesn't require him to hand me the controller every few minutes.

Everybody loves him!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I think the writing is on the wall here and you'll see more and more lazy devs optimize games based on Pro specs while leaving the base hardware version technically playable but barely more than adequate.

Yea, nobody in Sony seems to be all too strict about this, we will slide down this particular slope until somebody release a game in a state where is broken in normal but works on pro, then Sony will enforce this stronger, but not much.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, unfortunately that problem now exists. And the only defense is buying a pro.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CrRoMa posted:

It's weird hearing Horizon being compared to BotW since I played Horizon at launch and had a fantastic time with it and then bought a Switch after Christmas and genuinely can't stand Zelda. It seems unfair to criticise BotW for its graphics given it's on Switch but as a point of comparison Horizon is miles better. The controls are awkward and unintuitive in Zelda which is a crotchety old man kind of thing to say but that's how it felt to play for me. The world felt so empty in comparison, the weapon breaking mechanic was an interesting idea, breaking a weapon mid fight and having to physically stop moving your character in order to switch to a new weapon was a baffling design decision.

Just one one of those moments in games where the popular opinion is "this is incredible, you are gonna love it" and after about 4 hours I had that feeling of emptiness and dissatisfaction every second I played. Horizon was miles better as a direct comparison and I didn't like that game near as much as a lot did.

Haven’t played botw but this is pretty much exactly how I felt about horizon

It’s funny because after that one sidequest video came out before release people were foretelling that it would be really bad based on the acting and animation, and I was the one making fun of them for that, and then those same people hyped the poo poo out of the game when it came out while I found it incredibly dull and uncompelling for precisely those reasons, among others

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

rotaryfun posted:

Nice!

I was thinking about grabbing the Raymond game as well. Seems he's more in the adventure style games than me but it's neat to know finally find a genre that he can just play and doesn't require him to hand me the controller every few minutes.

I know it was probably autocorrect, but this is such a dad post :3:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
anything good hiting the PSN store for buying or preordering today?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sony don't give a poo poo about games running slow. If an AAA game like Fallout 4 can get away with multiple areas in the single digits then the whole idea of quality control is pointless. As someone before here said, the cert program is probably just to make sure a game doesn't brick your console.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sony don't give a poo poo about games running slow. If an AAA game like Fallout 4 can get away with multiple areas in the single digits then the whole idea of quality control is pointless. As someone before here said, the cert program is probably just to make sure a game doesn't brick your console.

Its to make sure no xbox button prompts show up

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

That's better than the Microsoft certifications at least.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I know it was probably autocorrect, but this is such a dad post :3:

yeah... auto-correct :ohdear:

Yes I will have to look more into this Rayman character!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Raymond Raving Roberts

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Lieutenant Raymond you got no legs

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Deborah! Those weird rabbits are at it again! *audience loving loses it*

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Wow, the decal on the God of War bundle is deeply, deeply ugly. Like, definitely the ugliest looking PS4 Pro they've put out, right?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Real hurthling! posted:

Funny you say this as I have had this happen to me on two separate Blaz Blue games on ps4.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: there is a GBS thread about Bloodborne being the free PS + game and mods are probating people for talking poo poo about Bloodborne in it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: there is a GBS thread about Bloodborne being the free PS + game and mods are probating people for talking poo poo about Bloodborne in it.

Good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Obviously

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

FF15 Royal Edition is just a GOTY package with everything included yeah? I'm not after it atm, but I'll be wishlisting it when it goes on sale for :10bux:

Still after an answer to this

rotaryfun posted:

:3: The Post

This should give you an idea of gameplay as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU3sU2WMcPM

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

this is going to invite a lot of Knack posts but whatever. my girlfriend is a fairly casual game player, but she really adores like, mascot 3D action platformers. the Jak & Daxters are her favorite games ever. loved Sly Cooper, she just finished Ratchet & Clank 2016 and loved that. what're some other PS4 titles she'd be into? unironically would Knack be worth a go? I've been thinking of getting her the Crash Bandicoot remaster but I remember them being really linear and not exactly in the same vein. she loved Rayman but typically side scrollers are hit and miss for her. like there's like a balance of some freedom of exploration elements without too much that I'm trying to find here

edit: i tried to convince her that uncharted is basically just an action platformer but she didn't buy it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

GBS is good again.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Where’s the main blood borne thread? I’m downloading it now and can’t wait to dive in.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Is it "Lol it's poo poo" or actual criticism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

Is it "Lol it's poo poo" or actual criticism?

You can’t criticize perfection.