Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah I was running Smoke as well and just having zero luck at all with it. I can't build a rig fast enough to keep Corps from building some insane remote to score out of, so unless I luck into a 5/3 off a central really early on it feels like I'm playing catch-up for points....then I end up getting greedy and flatlined, or cautious and I lose by just not running enough. At least I'm getting better - it's suddenly really rare for me to get skunked even if I'm not winning games.

It sucks but I just don't see getting Smoke working right now - maybe I'm crazy but as strong as Shaper is, her 12 inf just hamstrings the deck from splashing a few things that would really help. I have like two cards in my deck that I want to tweak but I don't think it's enough to save it.

I've got this crazy MaxX deck idea based on something someone played against me last week but I think it needs Trope to even have a chance of working and Old Hollywood is sold out absolutely goddamn everywhere. Like, poo poo, even Amazon doesn't have a product listing for it, how does that even happen?!

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

food court bailiff posted:

I've got this crazy MaxX deck idea based on something someone played against me last week but I think it needs Trope to even have a chance of working and Old Hollywood is sold out absolutely goddamn everywhere. Like, poo poo, even Amazon doesn't have a product listing for it, how does that even happen?!

Fantasy Flight Games.

I mean to be fair the logistics of reprints seem challenging, but they do love to shoot themselves in the foot.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Fantasy Flight Games.

I mean to be fair the logistics of reprints seem challenging, but they do love to shoot themselves in the foot.

The SC I was at today didn't even have prize support because FFG/Asmodee's current distributor screwed up.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The SC I was at today didn't even have prize support because FFG/Asmodee's current distributor screwed up.

Is this the 2018 season one kit? Checking the Alliance(ffg's sole distributor) retailer login info, it looks like it's not even available to purchase. That seems extremely bizarre, especially considering how drastically they scaled back on prize support.

edit: Also, Old Hollywood here.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 4, 2018

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I forget the rules on proxying in ~~official ~~ tournaments but if you ask around beforehand people will probably be willing to lend you cards if a pack is out of stock.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Yeah I was running Smoke as well and just having zero luck at all with it. I can't build a rig fast enough to keep Corps from building some insane remote to score out of, so unless I luck into a 5/3 off a central really early on it feels like I'm playing catch-up for points....then I end up getting greedy and flatlined, or cautious and I lose by just not running enough. At least I'm getting better - it's suddenly really rare for me to get skunked even if I'm not winning games.

It sucks but I just don't see getting Smoke working right now - maybe I'm crazy but as strong as Shaper is, her 12 inf just hamstrings the deck from splashing a few things that would really help. I have like two cards in my deck that I want to tweak but I don't think it's enough to save it.

Smoke doesn't have 12 influence, Kit has 10 if you are thinking of her.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

neaden posted:

Smoke doesn't have 12 influence, Kit has 10 if you are thinking of her.

:doh: yeah uh that's what I get for writing a big dumb effortpost after a few drinks without actually looking at cards, my bad. Still, at least in my local meta, nearly everyone is running Shaper runner decks, and nobody except me is running Smoke, and I feel like there's a pretty solid reason for that. Their programs and other cards are really friggin' great but Smoke's stealth credit is kind of pants compared to Ayla's NVRAM or Wu + Scavenge.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Smoke is really suffers in this metagame where corps are trying to go fast, and runners either have to play incredibly aggressive, or set up really fast. Smoke really can't do either to the extent that Hayley, Ayla and Wu can. It's the same reason why MaXx is so predominant out of Anarch, and why criminals suffer so hard. Card draw/click compression is so incredibly necessary for combating CI that it pushes slower corp decks out of the metagame, because they have few ways to slow the runner down.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Not really well versed in the thread, but reading your pretty sweet OP made me realize a perfect cyberpunk card game would end with the Corp always winning.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
This isn’t something I expect to find an easy answer to. In my dad’s retirement, he’s been not-disinterested
in my Netrunner hobby. I appreciate it, but he’s as far from a tabletop gamer as a person can get. So I’m turning over the idea of how to show him a game that he could grok.

Maybe a Runner deck of only icebreakers and events, and a Corp deck of only ice, ops, agendas, and advanceble assets? How much can we carve out and still have a game playable with Netrunner that is Netrunner?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I don't think I can help you there much, but you could consider more straightforward deckbuilder games like Dominion or Valley of the Kings to play together.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Honestly, I'd just use what's in Core Set 2.0 to show him the game. What's there is enough to build a decent deck without introducing the loads of jank that the mini-expansions/new sets add. Personally at this point, I think the most Netrunner I'll ever get into are Core Sets 1/2 and the mini-expansions, because that way most of those cards will always be legal, I can play casually with friends, and I don't need to play catch-up and buy all of the new data packs just to stay current.

I feel bad for the cards I have from the initial rotation (as I wanted to play Netrunner at my FLGS but I just kept falling behind), but they were fun when I used them.

Edit: I like the idea of Dominion because it will help him get into the mindset of deckbuilding (e.g., a game of actively drafting cards teaches the core skill of keeping cards that serve your ultimate objective and pass over cards that don't in order to create an efficient, predictable deck), but Netrunner is still a very different beast.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ZorajitZorajit posted:

This isn’t something I expect to find an easy answer to. In my dad’s retirement, he’s been not-disinterested
in my Netrunner hobby. I appreciate it, but he’s as far from a tabletop gamer as a person can get. So I’m turning over the idea of how to show him a game that he could grok.

Maybe a Runner deck of only icebreakers and events, and a Corp deck of only ice, ops, agendas, and advanceble assets? How much can we carve out and still have a game playable with Netrunner that is Netrunner?

The demo decks are really good introduction if you want to make them.

Demo deck list

Explanation on why they work so well to teach the game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I think you're on the right track here. For what it's worth, I think a lot of the core Shaper cards are really good at interacting with the basics of the game without needing to worry about your most efficient econ like Crim or trashable whatevers like Anarch. Similarly, I kind of feel like Weyland is a good starter Corp - it has some tricks, sure, but nothing like Jinteki completely changing the board state or H-B turning clicks into another expendable resource, to say nothing of NBN and how often trace/tag will come up. Make him play Runner your first couple games, probably even with his hand open. Explain what your face down cards might be, and some of the risks/rewards there.

I also wouldn't limit Runner to just breakers and events - a lot of hardware gets funky (and will lead to questions about MU and link) but resources like Beth or Armitage Codebusting are good examples of what cards can do, even if (at least on the surface) they're pretty simple. Definitely no upgrades for Corp at first, I have no idea why but that seems to trip a lot of new players up in my (limited) experience.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Going to double post now, because whoa new set: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/6/reign-and-reverie/

What the actual heck is going on with that DJ Fenris?! Like....what.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'm counting 10 G-Mods that are legal with DJ Fenris: Geist, Chaos Theory, Smoke, Hayley Kaplan, Kabonesa Wu, Los, MaxX, Quetzal, Reina Roja, and Steve Cambridge.

CT's obviously a dud. Geist and Hayley probably want far too specific of decks to take full advantage of the DJ. MaxX is generally a good option, as is Quetzal (maybe in Adam?)

I've always thought it was odd how disconnected the subtypes were from any sort of mechanical identity. I'm not sure if this is intentional, or an oversight, or what FFG's design goal is here (other than to use the words they put on the card by printing the DJ.) It's at least new design space, so that's something!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Going to double post now, because whoa new set: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/6/reign-and-reverie/

What the actual heck is going on with that DJ Fenris?! Like....what.

Man I really hope they don't gently caress this up since it'll never rotate out. At least Noise is gone; there would be some hilarious turbofuckery with him still in the game.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I hope all the HB cards are sports themed so the new HB meta is Sports Meta.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Outfit looks bad as all the illicit ICE is gone, but Too Big To Fail looks pretty good. Decent credit boost back up after opening a scoring window if you don't care about Bad Pub.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The Deleter posted:

The Outfit looks bad as all the illicit ICE is gone, but Too Big To Fail looks pretty good. Decent credit boost back up after opening a scoring window if you don't care about Bad Pub.

Bulwark and Checkpoint still exist, and there's Hostile Takeover which at 2/1 you can score out literally any time, but....yeah, The Outfit still looks bad.

e: like maybe I'm way off base here but it seems like a lot of the cards that let you shed BP have rotated out, and if you can't shed it you're trading 3 creds now for 1 cred to the runner every run, which means it's a possible 4-credit benefit their very next turn (and every turn thereafter...). They already don't seem to need much help buying their way past my ICE without me giving them free money.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 6, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

We don't know it's size or influence though, could be something crazy like 40/17

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The images on FFG's site have it at 45/15, and I'd assume that's pretty locked down since it's available for preorder already.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Like the only way I see The Outfit as being any good is if either the Weyland cards in there interact with bad pub in a way that means you want more of it, or they literally print Misdirection but for bad pub. Neither of which is going to happen.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Deleter posted:

Like the only way I see The Outfit as being any good is if either the Weyland cards in there interact with bad pub in a way that means you want more of it, or they literally print Misdirection but for bad pub. Neither of which is going to happen.
This is all that needs to ship with it

quote:

Shipment from GRNDL
Operation - X

Add X advancement counters to an installed card, X is the number of bad publicity you have.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Midjack posted:

Man I really hope they don't gently caress this up since it'll never rotate out. At least Noise is gone; there would be some hilarious turbofuckery with him still in the game.

Theres rumblings that deluxe boxes may actually rotate out. Theres a LOT of problematic cards in C&C, and even more that are complete dudes (All of HB's cards except 1 ID, which is problematic). In fact theres a lot of dead cards in the deluxes that could stand to see something new.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, there are a lot of people convinced C&C is going to rotate if only to get H-B some better cards and to get rid of Cerebral Imaging. I agree that the set has some serious issues (mainly on the corp side but not entirely) but personally I think it would be goofy to rotate just for that. I mean, I feel like H-B has a decent card pool right now.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Its more the fact that SMC, Levy and Clone Chip are all in there for shaper. Along with SoT, (which back in the day was a big enabler of Siphon spam) all of which can sort of cramp design space.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dull Fork posted:

Its more the fact that SMC, Levy and Clone Chip are all in there for shaper. Along with SoT, (which back in the day was a big enabler of Siphon spam) all of which can sort of cramp design space.

If SMC Clone Chip and Levy go away, what broken poo poo will other factions import?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

If boggs takes away clone chip and smc the new account siphon better be real dope because otherwise there just aren't going to be any fun runner cards left.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Awww, but I *like* Clone Chip now. Not to play, just to see out on the field before I score a Chronos Project and remove all their dumb heaped breakers from the game. :getin:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I mean, if GRNDL was playable for a while, the Outfit sure as hell can be too.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I forgot that Elizabeth Mills is Core 2.0 now. That might be funny with the Outfit, though a 1 credit profit on trashing a location is mostly a sweetener and not a real thing to do.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm counting 10 G-Mods that are legal with DJ Fenris: Geist, Chaos Theory, Smoke, Hayley Kaplan, Kabonesa Wu, Los, MaxX, Quetzal, Reina Roja, and Steve Cambridge.

CT's obviously a dud. Geist and Hayley probably want far too specific of decks to take full advantage of the DJ. MaxX is generally a good option, as is Quetzal (maybe in Adam?)

I've always thought it was odd how disconnected the subtypes were from any sort of mechanical identity. I'm not sure if this is intentional, or an oversight, or what FFG's design goal is here (other than to use the words they put on the card by printing the DJ.) It's at least new design space, so that's something!
I'd have thought Colin Bristol would be pretty good, the recursion ability is quite powerful and the fact he's in Crim (the worst Runner faction) means you can build your main deck out of good cards.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 7, 2018

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The Deleter posted:

One of those cards, Too Big to Fail, will give you 7 credits and 1 bad pub for the cost of one action (but only if you have less than 10 credits). With The Outfit, that just straight up gives you 10 credits.

Now imagine Weyland's first turn. First action Hedge Fund (5 -> 9 credits), Second action Too Big to Fail (9 -> 19 credits), third action install ICE on R&D/HQ.

There's not a single piece of ICE in the game that you can't rez with that much money. Let them facecheck a Chiyashi you splashed into the deck. I mean, use Bulwark and you'll essentially be rezzing an 8 Strength ETR barrier first turn for 3 credits (assuming that both 'Gain 2 credits, end the run' subroutines fire). The major issue is that eventually, taking so much bad pub will make the game easy street for the Runner even if you have 8 Strength ICE. But Netrunner favors the runner in the long-term anyway, so you might as well race to Tag and Bag them ASAP, bad pub be damned.

I can see The Outfit being a good ID if you're looking to make a fast, aggressive Weyland deck that has zero econ problems. Using cards like Elizabeth Mills, as another poster pointed, actually becomes slightly profitable . Unless the runner builds up a lot of link and econ, they'll lose every early Trace battle from cards like Hard-Hitting News. Even so, you force them to either remove tags or try to out-spend you, and if they get you under the magical number of 10 credits you can just Too Big to Fail again to get yourself back up above 10.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 7, 2018

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Too Big To Fail can be the surprise burst econ needed for you to reach up to a Punitive or Hard Hitting News. You probably don't care about the bad pub once them tags are landed. The amount of times I've SEA Source Scorched when the runner thought I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Static Equilibrium posted:

If boggs takes away clone chip and smc the new account siphon better be real dope because otherwise there just aren't going to be any fun runner cards left.

Well, if you want to see what it is, you can. The entire last pack of the Kitara Cycle has been spoiled a month or two ago. Obvious spoiler warnings to those who don't want to see it. https://imgur.com/a/RwAwS

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This thread about this cool friggin' game is all the way on Page 3 and that is not okay with me, especially when the Kitara Cycle keeps introducing such cool stuff.

Unrelated, but I got Worlds of Android and am enjoying it way more than I thought I would, for just a setting book. It's kind of opening my eyes to how much more the theme and mechanics of some cards are tied together than I'd originally thought.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

This thread about this cool friggin' game is all the way on Page 3 and that is not okay with me, especially when the Kitara Cycle keeps introducing such cool stuff.

Unrelated, but I got Worlds of Android and am enjoying it way more than I thought I would, for just a setting book. It's kind of opening my eyes to how much more the theme and mechanics of some cards are tied together than I'd originally thought.

The setting book is really cool. I do wish that FFG would give Netrunner a more cohesive narrative. Lunar Cycle had the cool story of Nasir chasing weird fragments of the early net to a secret moon bunker and releasing Apex.

Say what you will about the fanfiction quality Magic story line, or Overwatch's perpetual wheel spinning, they're both phenomenally successful integrations with their games.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Say what you will about the fanfiction quality Magic story line, or Overwatch's perpetual wheel spinning, they're both phenomenally successful integrations with their games.

Counterpoint: the Jacetice League suuuuucks and all the good parts of OW (gremlin dva, pharmercy) were fan-created

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Worlds of Android has convinced me to try running a cyberpunk game in the Android universe.

also I think I'm going to be using Genesys instead of The Sprawl because I'm a horrible masochist doing it properly as Android requires a little more setting control, and also my last experience with a PbtA game was weirdly bad and spooked me off of running it for a while. RIP, me.