Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve said it before but Knack lacks literally every quality that makes a good mascot.

Ratchet is soft, furry, a simple design, clank is simple (a round tiny head on a box).

Knack is a jumbled mess of pixels even when he is the center of the cinematic.

I mean it’s free, but there are better games to play.

Bombadilillo posted:

Is it "Lol it's poo poo" or actual criticism?

The first one is the guy from a week ago posting the same “I watched a speed run and it’s really brown and grey looks bad” post from here and getting instantly owned.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mandrel posted:

this is going to invite a lot of Knack posts but whatever. my girlfriend is a fairly casual game player, but she really adores like, mascot 3D action platformers. the Jak & Daxters are her favorite games ever. loved Sly Cooper, she just finished Ratchet & Clank 2016 and loved that. what're some other PS4 titles she'd be into? unironically would Knack be worth a go? I've been thinking of getting her the Crash Bandicoot remaster but I remember them being really linear and not exactly in the same vein. she loved Rayman but typically side scrollers are hit and miss for her. like there's like a balance of some freedom of exploration elements without too much that I'm trying to find here

edit: i tried to convince her that uncharted is basically just an action platformer but she didn't buy it

Knack 2 coop. Snake Pass? Hat in Time?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: there is a GBS thread about Bloodborne being the free PS + game and mods are probating people for talking poo poo about Bloodborne in it.

But what of Knack probations?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can’t criticize perfection.

nothing is perfect

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bloodborne is nothing

Q.E.D.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Digirat posted:

nothing is perfect

Ban this Knack denier filth

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mandrel posted:

this is going to invite a lot of Knack posts but whatever. my girlfriend is a fairly casual game player, but she really adores like, mascot 3D action platformers. the Jak & Daxters are her favorite games ever. loved Sly Cooper, she just finished Ratchet & Clank 2016 and loved that. what're some other PS4 titles she'd be into? unironically would Knack be worth a go? I've been thinking of getting her the Crash Bandicoot remaster but I remember them being really linear and not exactly in the same vein. she loved Rayman but typically side scrollers are hit and miss for her. like there's like a balance of some freedom of exploration elements without too much that I'm trying to find here

edit: i tried to convince her that uncharted is basically just an action platformer but she didn't buy it

I haven't played it yet but from what I understand A Hat In Time is perfect for her

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Why, when I go to download Bloodborne, does it just say “Start” then when I click it it says please insert disc. I’ve downloaded The Last Guardian after playing on disc and haven’t had this problem, but I was looking forward to this month’s PS+ stuff specifically so I didn’t have to switch out discs anymore. I’m just afraid deleting it from my storage will somehow delete my saves even though I’ve uploaded them to the cloud more than once just now for good measure.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Imhotep posted:

Why, when I go to download Bloodborne, does it just say “Start” then when I click it it says please insert disc. I’ve downloaded The Last Guardian after playing on disc and haven’t had this problem, but I was looking forward to this month’s PS+ stuff specifically so I didn’t have to switch out discs anymore. I’m just afraid deleting it from my storage will somehow delete my saves even though I’ve uploaded them to the cloud more than once just now for good measure.
Just go to the PS Store from your PC and redeem it there. Always do this, in fact, if you also want the PS3 and Vita games (for shits and giggles).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is it just me, or does the new God of War look like Skyrim with the 3rd person camera?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Roth posted:

Is it just me, or does the new God of War look like Skyrim with the 3rd person camera?

Savage

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Imhotep posted:

You have to delete the disc install from your hard drive and re-download it (yeah it's lame, I know). It definitely won't delete your saves, they're completely separate from the install. Now, Vita on the other hand...

EDIT: I've done this before with Titanfall 2, I had it on disc originally and when I downloaded the digital copy my saves were just fine

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CharlestheHammer posted:

Souls storytelling makes a lot more sense, it’s vague but you at least know why you are doing what your doing

Not...really. DS1's story is probably the most coherent, but even then the first third of the game is "uh you should ring these two bells I guess". I can't even remember what's going on in DS2, and I beat it - literally the last boss showed up and I was confused as to who she was and why I was fighting her. I haven't beaten DS3 but I've gotten about halfway through it and have no idea where I'm going. And Bloodborne's almost completely opaque, with very few, if any, cues to tell you where you're going or why. At one point you encounter a locked door that requires a password, and have no indication on where you're supposed to go, until much later after beating a boss you touch a skull and have a vision where an old guy is talking, and one of the things he says is apparently the password. Then you wander around some more and beat moon cthulhu and suddenly you are the demons. Something about blood.

The worlds are interesting, the stories are bad. Which is why the lore videos on youtube are much more interesting than the actual games' plots themselves.

Edit: Oh except Demon's Souls, which is clear and good - get the souls to get power and defeat the old one. Here are four doors leading to the four souls to kill.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uh DS2 is pretty straightforward

Seek
Seek
Bearer
Lest

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Morpheus posted:

Edit: Oh except Demon's Souls, which is clear and good - get the souls to get power and defeat the old one. Here are four doors leading to the four souls to kill.

Five

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
It's not a souls game if it doesn't have english people phoning in the extremely bad dialogue

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oh, right - I was trying to remember if the broken portal to the Land of the Giants (?) was the fifth one, but i guess it was the never-seen sixth.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Roth posted:

I mean, Skyrim had bad graphics and animation even for the time and God of W4r does not, so it probably is just you.

Although, I guess you could be playing Skyrim with all of those mods that make it run at 3 frames per second.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
got the Horizon DLC and the series of datapoints about people at the dam starting a riot grrl band were loving amazing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just go to the PS Store from your PC and redeem it there. Always do this, in fact, if you also want the PS3 and Vita games (for shits and giggles).

always use the web store regardless of what you're doing because it is infinitely better than the store on the ps4 itself. it's not even that it's good so much as that the ps4 storefront is utter trash

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like that besides BB and Ratchet and Clank we get a bad bomberman clone and a bad megaman clone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Escobarbarian posted:

got the Horizon DLC and the series of datapoints about people at the dam starting a riot grrl band were loving amazing

That quest is so good. Concrete Beach Party!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: there is a GBS thread about Bloodborne being the free PS + game and mods are probating people for talking poo poo about Bloodborne in it.

Hunt them down and smash them one by one like the vermin they are :bloodborne::killing::bloodborne::killing::bloodborne::killing:

nerdz posted:

It's not a souls game if it doesn't have english people phoning in the extremely bad dialogue

Prepare to loving DIE

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Crows Turn Off posted:

I mean, Skyrim had bad graphics and animation even for the time and God of W4r does not, so it probably is just you.

Although, I guess you could be playing Skyrim with all of those mods that make it run at 3 frames per second.

I didn't mean the technical visuals. Like, the Norse aesthetics, strong viking man, and third person behind the back camera all just make me jump to Skyrim.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The voice acting in HZD is really bad because everyone sounds like a generic modern day american which is really jarring for the setting imo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

fridge corn posted:

The voice acting in HZD is really bad because everyone sounds like a generic modern day american which is really jarring for the setting imo

It's a diagetic reason though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what accent should they have

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After playing through Bloodborne twice I have internalized so many details about the setting, backstory, and characters that I really find it hard to consider it opaque.

That did come after 120 hours of play and reading a bunch of descriptions though, which you could totally not ever look at

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

What a weird thing to nitpick about.

Does it bother you that the voice actors in Kingdom Come: Deliverance speak like modern Britons?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Well, I mean, the game explains the AI caretakers in ELEUTHIA-9 spoke American English, so when those people entered the world, they spoke American English. The game takes place in America, you know.

What English accent are you expecting? Or should they speak in an ancient robot language that sounds like a 56k modem?

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 6, 2018

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
nvm... beat

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

fridge corn posted:

The setting is America, so...

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Renoistic posted:

I'm not going to tell anyone to not try HZD, but I found it really boring. Way too much focus on navigating menus (MHW and Last of Us do crafting so much better), I never got into the fighting, and 90% of the game is yet another icon-hunting open world game. The story is mediocre, none of the characters engaging, and I honestly regret buying it at all. Witcher 3 devs were involved with the game, which is apparent from the mediocre fighting and, frankly, lousy UI. It has a loot box system (no real money involved) and Diablo-like loot which did it no favors.

You already bought it so I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

I’m in the same boat. I don’t hate it, but I also don’t see why everyone loves it the way they do. I found it firmly “okay”.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

what accent should they have

L33TSP34K

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Montalvo posted:

What a weird thing to nitpick about.

Does it bother you that the voice actors in Kingdom Come: Deliverance speak like modern Britons?

idk i haven't played it

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well, I mean, the game explains the AI caretakers in ELEUTHIA-9 spoke American English, so when those people entered the world, they spoke American English. The game takes place in America, you know.

What English accent are you expecting? Or should they speak in an ancient robot language that sounds like a 56k modem?

I would expect some.sort of divergence after 800 years or so especially given the several unique tribal cultures presented in the game, yet everyone sounds like that person you're stuck next to.in thr queue at the supermarket who won't shut up about their kids track meet and the upcoming pta meeting or something

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Morpheus posted:

And Bloodborne's almost completely opaque, with very few, if any, cues to tell you where you're going or why. At one point you encounter a locked door that requires a password, and have no indication on where you're supposed to go, until much later after beating a boss you touch a skull and have a vision where an old guy is talking, and one of the things he says is apparently the password. Then you wander around some more and beat moon cthulhu and suddenly you are the demons. Something about blood.

That's my only real gripe with the game. I hate pointless backtracking. I was trying to play the game without reading any walkthroughs, but ended up getting stuck multiple times and wasting a bunch of time revisiting every area trying to find the exit that was now open for no apparent reason.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't even start DJ Max respect yet and I already love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

That's my only real gripe with the game. I hate pointless backtracking. I was trying to play the game without reading any walkthroughs, but ended up getting stuck multiple times and wasting a bunch of time revisiting every area trying to find the exit that was now open for no apparent reason.

iirc that only happens one time and it tells you about it