Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

haveblue posted:

At one point you have to fight a literal ghost in a graveyard. I forget the exact justification for it but it definitely happened and they definitely tried to tie it to the quantum fuckery multiple universe overarching story.

I completely forgot about this and yes it was extraordinarily stupid and weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It looks like Serious Sam to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Klaus88 posted:

On one hand, the ghost was extraordinarily stupid. On the other hand, Stephen Russell really sells the line "It seems your mother is raising the dead." in such an incredulous tone that it's perfect.

Troy Baker.

The voice acting in Bioshock Infinite is pretty much the only consistently good thing about it. The rest is a pretty mixed bag.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I remember the last half of Bioshock Infinite being a real slog for some reason; I think it was because of the level design. At some point it feels like it just devolves into a "enter an area and have 50 dudes attack you, rinse, repeat" cycle that I found really unpleasant to play through.

I actually really like Bioshock 1 for the most part and replayed it ~2 years ago, so I'm defintely not a Bioshock hater. Still haven't gotten around to playing Bioshock 2...but I feel like after playing Prey, why even bother?

E: I should clarify the "new" Prey released by Arkane/Bethesda from last year.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

anatomi posted:

Interesting! Gonna ditch Tunngle and give FTE/Spiked a go. Thanks a plenty.

Let me know how it goes!

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Kins posted:

From one of the programmers:

The tl;dr of why so many are having performance issues is that we're just beginning to bring our GL renderer, Polymost, out of 2004. Graphics hardware and APIs have come a long way since the days of OpenGL 1.1.

Hey coming back to this for a second. I'm curious, where (on the web) is this from?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Johnny Law posted:

Hey coming back to this for a second. I'm curious, where (on the web) is this from?
ZDF Thread

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's strange because according to RTSS I get a constant 60fps but it's stuttery as hell. A bit like eDuke32 and other Build games were before Nvidia unfucked their drivers.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

I’m going to wait until it’s an actual game and not just a hoard mode. Those weapons and enemies seem as standard as possible and I can’t not see that one enemy as the thing from Spawn.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Ion Maiden owns.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

That does own. I need to pick this game up, everything about it sounds pretty great.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Ion Maiden does look pretty good (and hard as hell). I'm not sure what that image is supposed to be, though; is it some kind of reference?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Simon The Digger posted:

Ion Maiden does look pretty good (and hard as hell). I'm not sure what that image is supposed to be, though; is it some kind of reference?

I didn't get it when I first looked at screenshot, but the chains hanging from the ceiling makes me believe it's a reference to Hellraiser 2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Max Wilco posted:

I didn't get it when I first looked at screenshot, but the chains hanging from the ceiling makes me believe it's a reference to Hellraiser 2.

Yeah, it's the bed and the pillar from the end.

Edit: Why do sentry drones show up so much in Duke mods? As far as I know, nobody likes them.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Surely, some people like Duke mods?

As for the drones, do they have easier pathfinding?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
They just kinda fly straight at Duke if they have line of sight. Honestly none of the Duke 3D enemies have interesting AI routines besides maybe the jetpack dudes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yodzilla posted:

They just kinda fly straight at Duke if they have line of sight. Honestly none of the Duke 3D enemies have interesting AI routines besides maybe the jetpack dudes.

I enjoy Duke 3D but it turns out I don't actually like to fight any of the enemies.

But then why do I like the game?

:iiam:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The boot

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I enjoy Duke 3D but it turns out I don't actually like to fight any of the enemies.

It's got good map design.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

catlord posted:

Edit: Why do sentry drones show up so much in Duke mods? As far as I know, nobody likes them.

Yet another problem with Plug n' Pray, the first two levels probably have a combined total of like 20 drones. That's only a slight exaggeration.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

It's fun to explore the maps.

In retrospect the only games from the 2.5d era that hold up at all in terms of combat depth and challenge are Doom and Marathon. All the rest just waffle back and forth between trivially easy and "Flip a coin. Tails you're dead" with no real skill curve to speak of. It's still fun to blast through and see the sights though, especially when the maps are in the Duke3D style.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Duke 3D enemy design suffers from an over reliance on Hitscan and small fast moving projectiles that are basically hitscan anyway. Lots of unavoidable damage that is only really mitigated by the Medkit item and quicksaving.

Luckily that game is built on killer level design.

Once I beat The Birth I'm probably gonna try to play through Quake 1 again since DUSK inspired me to give it another shot.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

The Pig Cop hovercars are slightly interesting (and really hardcoded) in that they follow mapper-defined paths when they're not shooting the player, allowing them to navigate the map in a natural manner.

https://twitter.com/TheNewBloods/status/971168070298255360

I dunno how much stuff'll be in it, but it'll apparently be $20, same as Dusk.

EDIT: AusGamers reports that it'll have three of the seven episodes planned for the final game. I don't remember how long each episode is, though.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 7, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Yet another problem with Plug n' Pray, the first two levels probably have a combined total of like 20 drones. That's only a slight exaggeration.

Speaking of Plug n' Pray / Total Meltdown, I finally got around to trying it, and I realized it's the whole game, and I didn't need to drop it in the Duke3D install directory. Is that legal? I'm not complaining, mind you, but I just figured it was the Plug n' Pray maps converted, and you still needed a copy of Duke3D from GOG or somewhere to play it along with EDuke32.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Lork posted:

It's fun to explore the maps.

In retrospect the only games from the 2.5d era that hold up at all in terms of combat depth and challenge are Doom and Marathon. All the rest just waffle back and forth between trivially easy and "Flip a coin. Tails you're dead" with no real skill curve to speak of. It's still fun to blast through and see the sights though, especially when the maps are in the Duke3D style.
I mean, Powerslave also got it pretty drat right - on console, anyway. PC, maybe not so much.

I don't think I can really think of too many other 2.5D ones that nailed it, you're right. I can think of multiple FPSes that do, but most of them are fully 3D (Quake, Turok, maybe the Rareware FPSes (maybe not), heck Powerslave might count as more 3D than 2.5D).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of Plug n' Pray / Total Meltdown, I finally got around to trying it, and I realized it's the whole game, and I didn't need to drop it in the Duke3D install directory. Is that legal? I'm not complaining, mind you, but I just figured it was the Plug n' Pray maps converted, and you still needed a copy of Duke3D from GOG or somewhere to play it along with EDuke32.
If you have Duke3D installed somewhere else from Steam or whatever it automatically uses your DUKE3D.GRP file from that.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, Powerslave also got it pretty drat right - on console, anyway. PC, maybe not so much.

I don't think I can really think of too many other 2.5D ones that nailed it, you're right. I can think of multiple FPSes that do, but most of them are fully 3D (Quake, Turok, maybe the Rareware FPSes (maybe not), heck Powerslave might count as more 3D than 2.5D).
I never got around to trying Powerslave. Does anybody know where to find the latest version of EX, or is that verboten?

The Rare shooters (and their Free Radical descendants) are firmly in the "you can actually get good at this" camp. They figured out how to make hitscanners work: enemies will take aim, then play an animation for drawing their weapon, and then shoot at where they originally aimed, giving you time to step out of the way. They also stagger every single time you hit them. Combine these two and you have reliable ways to avoid taking damage, which means they can make the games really challenging at higher difficulty levels while still being fair.

The Turok games on the other hand are chock full of high hp, low pain chance hitscanners and projectiles that move way too fast to be dodged, putting them closer to the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd say.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love the combat in Duke 3D, but I do take plenty of damage. But there stuff's to do, you can spam 5 rockets at a Battlelord if you have them and kill him instantly, you can duck around a corner etc, you can do the shimmy and avoid a lot of Pig Cop hits while taking them down with a couple shotgun blasts. It's a glorious dance. It's like blue man group. It's from the 90s and is offputting to a lot of people. (Got ya BMG!)

(not to say it's offputting because it's from the 90s, Lord of the Dance for example is considered to be quite palatable)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guillermus posted:

Not an FPS but The Haunted: Hell's Reach was a legit good survival game based on a mod. I fire it from time to time because is fun to roundhouse kick a demon and blow his head off.

Pages back but thanks for bringing this game to my attention!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Finally played a bit of Ion Maiden. It seems alright so far. Only did the first level. There's something that feels a bit off about it, but I guess it's not the final release, so it might be that some things that need more polish.

Weird as it might sound, I love the title screen and menus. It reminds me of one of the shareware games of that era with the typography and crosshair-cursor (Raptor: Call of the Shadows was the first thing that jumped to mind).

I also noticed this little easter egg/reference:

The painting here's of photo of Yangshuo Cavern, which a lot of people might recognize as the skybox texture used in Episode 1 of Doom.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 7, 2018

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Max Wilco posted:

I also noticed this little easter egg/reference:

The painting here's of photo of Yangshuo Cavern, which a lot of people might recognize as the skybox texture used in Episode 1 of Doom.

lol, ion maiden rippin' assets from doom!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, back to the discussion about how unfun Duke's enemies are to fight, is it correct to say that Ion Maiden's enemies are better? Hope so. :ohdear:

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

So, back to the discussion about how unfun Duke's enemies are to fight, is it correct to say that Ion Maiden's enemies are better? Hope so. :ohdear:

Much better in my opinion. Easier to dodge their shots, and headshots make quick work of them. I don't think they use hitscan either, rather going for fast projectiles, but I might be wrong.

Just finished Ion Maiden's preview campaign, and I'm really impressed. More than just being a throw-back FPS shooter, this actually feels like a great modern game as well.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I loved the level design in Rise of the Triad. You instinctively picked your way through really really weirdly laid out levels. It was like it followed dream logic, where you kinda knew what was going on but you wouldn't really be able to explain it. I think probably lots (most?) of fps games back then were like this, but for some reason RotT really sticks out in my memory as being this hellscape of twisted metal, rock and blood with bizarrely narrow corridors sitting secretly above needlessly huge hallways and also in the walls.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
only thing that pisses me off with ion maiden, is that the give everything cheat code doesn't give you the minigun that you get for 5 seconds from the mech boss. really was hoping to tear through the preview with it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Kiiind of. The guns so far are kind of more fun to shoot so I think that helps a lot, but I feel like the enemy sprites themselves could use a bit of work both to help their silhouettes (asides from the skullbots who I love), and to maybe help them pop out from the backgrounds sometimes. Shooting them in the head is cool though I would love it if would pop some particles or something like headshotting in Destiny, and they gib in a way that for the briefest moment leaves a full shape of a human in gibs hanging in the air before they fly about, which is satisfying as all hell.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

!Klams posted:

I loved the level design in Rise of the Triad. You instinctively picked your way through really really weirdly laid out levels. It was like it followed dream logic, where you kinda knew what was going on but you wouldn't really be able to explain it. I think probably lots (most?) of fps games back then were like this, but for some reason RotT really sticks out in my memory as being this hellscape of twisted metal, rock and blood with bizarrely narrow corridors sitting secretly above needlessly huge hallways and also in the walls.

This is exactly how I feel towards (classic) RotT; It's just so WEIRD, but at the same... normal? Like there are real dudes who are shooting at you because they're defending... their stone pillars, rotating razor poles, and grav lifts?

Ok, sure!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

!Klams posted:

This honestly sounds right up my loving alley...I've never played ROTT, is it considered a ~good~ game?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This honestly sounds right up my loving alley...I've never played ROTT, is it considered a ~good~ game?

Do you like Wolf3D? ROTT basically began life as an outsourced Wolf3D sequel and if you came to it having played no other FPS but Wolf3D, you'd probably think this was the baddest rear end poo poo of all time. It's not one of my favorite 90s FPS but it's memorable at least. Exceedingly zany, the best thing about it is probably the weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Not really my favorite, but it's considered a good classic, yeah. I like its quirks, rather than its gameplay per se.