Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MA-Horus posted:

Wait you CAN'T BYOD onto the Koodo plan? You're forced into buying a new phone? That's...really dumb.

Both of those are RFD-inspired BS.

It's 100% all-day Canada wide calling, the argument otherwise is from people who don't know how footnotes work. And people seem to be confirming that the 100 bill credit is showing up on their accounts for BYOD too (delayed a billing cycle) which is roughly what one would expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

waxluthor posted:

So y'all switching to this $40/month for 5GB Koodo deal? I can't decide... 5GB seems nice, and I've used all of 12GB in less than 90-days a couple times.

Before this PM plan I was on $57/month for 200mins & 6GB, so $40 for unlimited Canada-wide & 5GB is a pretty sweet deal.

The main reason I'd want to switch is that I get the sense my deal with Public, or Public itself, is ready to disappear, not because this is a must-have offer.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
I just got a text from Public upping the Koodo offer to 6GB. This is the second time they've sweetened the deal, is it time to jump ship?

It does sound pretty nice at this point but I don't trust that Koodo won't screw me over in 6 months.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

James Baud posted:

Both of those are RFD-inspired BS.

It's 100% all-day Canada wide calling, the argument otherwise is from people who don't know how footnotes work. And people seem to be confirming that the 100 bill credit is showing up on their accounts for BYOD too (delayed a billing cycle) which is roughly what one would expect.

:shrug: my bad then.

New offer:

At this rate, they'll be offering unlimited data by the 14th :dance: (offer expires March 15).

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Isn't the Koodo deal only unlimited minutes from something like 8pm to 5am or is that the Fido deal?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Isn't the Koodo deal only unlimited minutes from something like 8pm to 5am or is that the Fido deal?

No thats BS

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Is public actually going to kick anyone off that plan or is it just speculation?

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I'm very skeptical of these offers. They wouldn't be trying so hard to move people off the PM plan and onto Koodo without some sort of strategy for eventually extracting more money from their customers. If Telus doesn't like the PM plan, to me that indicates I should stay with it. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Loooool these texts

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Shofixti posted:

I'm very skeptical of these offers. They wouldn't be trying so hard to move people off the PM plan and onto Koodo without some sort of strategy for eventually extracting more money from their customers. If Telus doesn't like the PM plan, to me that indicates I should stay with it. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I just figure they want more people signing up tabs and buy phones from them.

Also I haven't got the 6GB deal text yet! :mad:

Edit: just received it! :v:

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 6, 2018

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well, despite the fact that Koodo's always grandfathered plans before, they aren't saying "no surprises!" or "your rate for life, as long as you keep paying!" on the Koodo side.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Shofixti posted:

I'm very skeptical of these offers. They wouldn't be trying so hard to move people off the PM plan and onto Koodo without some sort of strategy for eventually extracting more money from their customers.

It probably has more to do with financial reporting for Telus - prepaid accounts are different from postpaid accounts. And the financial markets only care about postpaid accounts which on average have an associated contract with them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anyone taking the plunge? I might do it next week, after seeing if there are any more texts bumping the offer to 10 gigs or whatever. If I do switch plans, my apologies to Risky Bisquick for the referral fee loss.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm probably gonna do it. There's no reason not to at this point, really.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
No worries, they mucked up the billing on my account and I have free service

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Yeah I'm going to switch too. I was on koodo before I went to public so it's not too big a deal for me. And even upgrading my Nexus 5 to an essential phone still keeps me at $5 less than I used to pay on koodo before the public deal

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

MA-Horus posted:

I'm probably gonna do it. There's no reason not to at this point, really.

I'm slowly approaching this, but still weirded out that they're being so aggressive about this. Gonna keep riding it out for now until I get a new car out of it

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 7, 2018

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Man they want you guys off that plan so bad I would be holding out until there was a guy from public mobile in a suit with a lapel pin slipping a brand new phone in my pocket while giving me a bj.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

w00tmonger posted:

I'm slowly approaching this, but still weirded out that they're being so aggressive about this. Gonna keep riding it out for now until I get a new car out of it

Seriously though this is essentially the same plan I had with the Iphone 3g on Rogers back in around 2008, for even cheaper.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zigmidge posted:

Man they want you guys off that plan so bad I would be holding out until there was a guy from public mobile in a suit with a lapel pin slipping a brand new phone in my pocket while giving me a bj.

Doubtful that will happen now that door-to-door sales are banned.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is Rogers gonna let me get out of a two year contract if I move to Australia? My visa arrived about 13 months earlier than expected.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

quote:

In the most recent Telus earnings’ call, CEO Darren Entwistle noted that moving customers “up the value chain” from Public through Koodo and Telus is a key strategy for the company.

Link

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

if I could play devil's advocate for a second, in CEO speak that isn't really saying anything more than 'of course we would like our customers to be post-paid'
For post paid they have a credit report, they have a billing address, they have a business relationship. With pre-paid it's.. month to month, 90 days to 90 days, no guarantee. Nearly every service on the planet that gives you the option of pre-paying for a short time vs. running up a bill or pre-paying a long time will give you a discount for the latter two. It's a more solid relationship that is harder to move away from.

So yeah duh post-paid is up the value chain ... if you weren't aware that they'd prefer you be post-paid with the upmarket brand you really haven't been paying attention. Or maybe it's a failure of their marketing or differentiation strategy. It's clear as day to me where they'd prefer people to be.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone else on Public Mobile suddenly getting more image compression when sending gifs now? Or possibly since the last Android Messages update a few days ago?
Or maybe I'm just not noticing unless it's a low quality gif in the first place... hmm.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 8, 2018

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I haven't been able to send a gif over 500kb, which is the only reason I'm considering the move to Koodo.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Anybody familiar with Kodoo and know what is going on here?

I was a public mobile customer and transferred over on Sunday at a walmart kiosk, I got the $40/6gb plan and all my data usage is showing up under an addon I have just called 'Koodo Mobile' none of it is showing up under my data.

I'm wondering if the guy at walmart somehow gave me an unlimited data add on, at one point he did say he was looking at 20 different plans that look alike and was having a hard time picking the right one. Guess one way I can test it is by using up data and seeing if I get a data limit warning text. I was going to call customer service about it, but if it really is a unlimited data add on then I should probably not say anything about it to customer service. :ssh:

I was going to ask about it on redflagdeals because I'd get a faster reply there but man those guys are such greedy spergs.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think you always get unlimited data for the first mini-bill cycle (few days long) or first 30 days or something like that on a new Koodo activation.

It disappears on its own soon enough.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
That makes a lot more sense than what I thought it was, thanks.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Can anyone clarify if the PM->Koodo deal is unlimited international text or just Canada-wide text?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Can anyone clarify if the PM->Koodo deal is unlimited international text or just Canada-wide text?

It's global/international text as long as you are sending/receiving in Canada.

And don't use MMS, it's poo poo. Use Google Drive share links or something.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

It's global/international text as long as you are sending/receiving in Canada.

MMS is the only way to send hilarious memes and reaction .GIFs

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dillbag posted:

There's a footnote on the unlimited messaging for every plan that says "includes international text messages sent and received anywhere in Canada. Availability of service will vary by country and is subject to change without notice. Excludes premium and subscription-based messages. Additional data charges apply depending on picture size when roaming in the U.S. and internationally."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dillbag posted:

MMS is the only way to send hilarious memes and reaction .GIFs

I know... :qq: instant gif search is my favorite feature of gboard.
Confession: I downloaded :thunk: to my phone so I could use it as much as I want. :haw:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 14, 2018

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Facetious posted:

What is lovely about sending a photo text?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Any ex-PM customers have any luck getting Koodo to waive the SIM charge?

Scudworth posted:

Does downloading MMS count against your data cap? I guess if you're particularly nasty you could MMS bomb someone to gently caress up their bill.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ I dunno about other text apps, but in Messages you can unselect Auto-Download MMS, or outright block the sender.

Scudworth posted:

Telus/PM has a stupidly low image/video size limit of like, 1mb or less.
So if say, my brother in B.C. wants to show me a 24s HD vid of a sea anemone, and sends it via MMS, it gets ruthlessly crushed to what looks like a 15fps 240p gif using the video codec the Playstation 1 had. :pwn:

And vice versa.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 15, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Why arent you using WhatsApp fb messenger ig Snapchat iMessages but using MMS?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My brother has an iPhone, so gently caress any app without SMS. Also, I'm loving tired of registering for yet another loving messaging app, and have zero interest in getting everyone else I know to hop on too. :effort:

I leave that poo poo to MLM scams.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Risky Bisquick posted:

Why arent you using WhatsApp fb messenger ig Snapchat iMessages but using MMS?

WhatsApp crushes pics pretty bad as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just ported. Feel bad for Rusty Bisquick who might have to pay for his cell phone plan for the first time in a year.