Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Lord Boy is such a stupid, stupid name. loving pick anything else, come on. The Prince would be better and it even means the same thing, just in a less comical way.

The headmate formerly known as Lord Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What the hell is this poo poo anymore even.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

What the gently caress is Lord Boy even supposed to represent in this hellzone of consciousness anyway

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A very early psyche arrested in development by trauma which is entirely about self-defence.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

ZeroCount posted:

What the gently caress is Lord Boy even supposed to represent in this hellzone of consciousness anyway

It's pretty obvious - he is a titled Lord, last name of Boy.

No wait, he is the Lord of Boys. All boys must worship him and give burnt offering unto him.

No wait, he is a member of the nobility but only regarding boys as men have their own line of succession.

No wait, he's a manifestation of a racist 1930's white guy yelling at a black guy about something.

No wait, he's a name field in a government database that has a entry for somebody with a normal last name and a weird first name, also the database is old and can't parse punctuation.

No wait,

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Lord Boy symbolizes President Trump and each of his headmates represents one of Trumps terrible cronies :smuggo:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lord Boy is Drumpf spelled backwards.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ah yes, the extremely well known slicing properties of a wrecking ball.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Paladinus posted:

What the hell is this poo poo anymore even.

Sitting here trying to figure out what would be the right way to write all this. Alison spends a chapter running around with a bunch of aspects of Patrick's personality. She eventually realized that they're all toxic and any good that he did was apparently just the aggregate result of these aspects all acting selfishly. So she's going to burn the whole thing down and start from scratch, apparently.

'Menace' is easy to figure out, he's the one that likes to act like a cartoon supervillain. And Lord Boy, as mentioned, seems to be his accumulated childhood trauma. What was GirlPatrick representing again? Logic and Order over all else? She seems to hate emotion, after all. But it was never very clear why she and 'Menace' were fighting in the first place. They're both apparently subservient to Lord Boy, but he doesn't seem to have a problem with their attempts to assassinate each other.

What's going to happen, here? She breaks the sewer system and Patrick's suppressed emotions come to the surface, sure. That foreshadowing is obvious. But what the gently caress is going to be left of his personality after this? Even in the best case scenario, he's going to be a totally different person.

This whole chapter is such a mess of handwavey 'it works this way because that's the way it works' mush.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Was there anything to disprove the initial reading that girl patrick is patric's supressed feminine side and by arc's end they'll be trans?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mr. Squishy posted:

Was there anything to disprove the initial reading that girl patrick is patric's supressed feminine side and by arc's end they'll be trans?

It would fit the false dichotomy the comic seems to be setting up, however, The library memory personality, said they were all symbolic so fempatrick isn't like 1 to1 literal female side of patrick, so at the very least that isn't telegraphed.

If this was a good comic Alison would destroy the city, Patrick would go insane and stab Feral a bunch. The rest of his life spent in a mental institution rocking back and forth too filled with thoughts and personalities to be anything other than catatonic.

This comic where Alison could do no wrong will make Patrick a good person who goes off to have a relationship with 12 gender queer people and be the MOST WOKE.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

The fuckwit author just can't stop accidentally making Alison the loving worst person. What's she's about to do here is a massive violation, far beyond anything Patrick has ever done to anyone else. Sure, he's read unconscious minds for information, but she's literally breaking his mind, changing his entire psyche because.... he has some information she needs?

But I guess last chapter she learned might makes right, so she's totally allowed to break and reform someone else's entire sense of being to get what she wants.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bobulus posted:

Sitting here trying to figure out what would be the right way to write all this. Alison spends a chapter running around with a bunch of aspects of Patrick's personality. She eventually realized that they're all toxic and any good that he did was apparently just the aggregate result of these aspects all acting selfishly. So she's going to burn the whole thing down and start from scratch, apparently.

'Menace' is easy to figure out, he's the one that likes to act like a cartoon supervillain. And Lord Boy, as mentioned, seems to be his accumulated childhood trauma. What was GirlPatrick representing again? Logic and Order over all else? She seems to hate emotion, after all. But it was never very clear why she and 'Menace' were fighting in the first place. They're both apparently subservient to Lord Boy, but he doesn't seem to have a problem with their attempts to assassinate each other.

What's going to happen, here? She breaks the sewer system and Patrick's suppressed emotions come to the surface, sure. That foreshadowing is obvious. But what the gently caress is going to be left of his personality after this? Even in the best case scenario, he's going to be a totally different person.

This whole chapter is such a mess of handwavey 'it works this way because that's the way it works' mush.
it kind of has to end with the different parts of Patrick’s personality merging or in accord, because that’s how all mindscape stories end, because the alternative is murdering or suppressing a literal part of someone’s brain, which even a bad writer should recognize is the very definition of bad mental health.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's also effectively lobotomy.

Just tear out the parts of the brain you don't like!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This actually seems like a real sticking point for the comments section. They are not happy. I guess we'll find out Friday whether Alison really plans to rewrite some rear end in a top hat's mind, and whether Mulligan and Ostertag remember that Menace is in the scene.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 6, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pospysyl posted:

This actually seems like a real sticking point for the comments section. They are not happy. I guess we'll find out Friday whether Alison really plans to rewrite some rear end in a top hat's mind, and whether Mulligan and Ostertag remember that Menace is in the scene.

Some of them are scrambling REAL hard to justify this

quote:

Well, I mean... clearly Patrick chose to come to Alison. And he knew her method tended to be 'wait for the simplest, most direct answer, then use it. Usually with your fist.'

So... he really brought this on himself.

I mean did you see the way he was dressed?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I guess the point of the detour to Feral's mind was to show that 'normal' people don't have a bunch of headmates running around their mindscape, but instead it's just a version of yourself (how you perceive self/how you want to be perceived by others?) sitting around in a tiny quite place. Allison is going to make sure that all aspects of Patrick's personality are somehow united into one real Patrick, and this will heal his literally fractured mind. It's still not clear to me how real any of this poo poo is. Like, is Patrick aware there are those aspects of him? Is this how he consciously sees his own mind? Is it just a dream world not really bound by any logic? That would be kind of a big deal to find out that everyone has one or multiple tangible tiny people inside their head.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there was a movie like this, where they took a lot of effort going through how everything was physically happening, except it was inside somebody's head and purely metaphorical, and it didn't matter at all. I think that movie had a Lord Boy too.

Also, Allison, smashing up a dude's brain sounds like a good way to make him catatonic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Being Clev Malkovin

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's endlessly amusing how this darling of progressive webcomics is all about dominating people and bending them to your will. What a farce.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I feel like it's only a darling of anything on inertia at this point. Most of the people who lauded it wouldn't have continued following it for this long, especially since many would have read it in volume form which cuts off before it got lost in its own head.
Literally, now.

Also if and when breaking Patrick's elaborate mental defenses 'cures' him it will be the necessary final step of his characterization- the total collapse of their attempt to present a psychologically interesting portrait of a strange telepath. There's barely any attempt to depict characters as having any sort of personality anymore; Feral's a rom com character now, Clevin exists, and Patrick has been subdivided into simplified characters. Gurwara was so poorly characterized as to still be my favorite, though, because he came across as a parody of the 'just asking questions' indecisiveness of the comic as a whole, a morally bankrupt loon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there was a movie like this, where they took a lot of effort going through how everything was physically happening, except it was inside somebody's head and purely metaphorical, and it didn't matter at all. I think that movie had a Lord Boy too.

Also, Allison, smashing up a dude's brain sounds like a good way to make him catatonic.

That would be The Cell, which has Jennifer Lopez and Vince Vaughn as an experimental psychiatrist and FBI investigator who do a dive into the mind of Vincent D'onofrio, playing a comatose serial killer, so they can get a lead on the wherabouts of his last victim before she drowns in a slowly filling tank of water.

It had D'onofrios character suffering from a psychosis where his subconscious was split into an innocent child persona and a murderous evil king persona, which is probably what you're thinking of. Also: its a Tarsem Singh movie, so while the writing isn't great the cinematography, set design, and art direction are loving spectacular.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 6, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Neophyte posted:

It's pretty obvious - he is a titled Lord, last name of Boy.

No wait, he is the Lord of Boys. All boys must worship him and give burnt offering unto him.

No wait, he is a member of the nobility but only regarding boys as men have their own line of succession.

No wait, he's a manifestation of a racist 1930's white guy yelling at a black guy about something.

No wait, he's a name field in a government database that has a entry for somebody with a normal last name and a weird first name, also the database is old and can't parse punctuation.

No wait,

It's not really that complicated.

He's called that because all these elaborate mental structures and personas are all ultimately there to protect someone who is at heart a frightened child.

Although, yeah, it is a little bit on the nose.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

That would be The Cell, which has Jennifer Lopez and Vince Vaughn as an experimental psychiatrist and FBI investigator who do a dive into the mind of Vincent D'onofrio, playing a comatose serial killer, so they can get a lead on the wherabouts of his last victim before she drowns in a slowly filling tank of water.

It had D'onofrios character suffering from a psychosis where his subconscious was split into an innocent child persona and a murderous evil king persona, which is probably what you're thinking of. Also: its a Tarsem Singh movie, so while the writing isn't great the cinematography, set design, and art direction are loving spectacular.

Actually, that would be Inception, which is the same movie but with Goldeneye levels in place of 90s art

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Actually, that would be Inception, which is the same movie but with Goldeneye levels in place of 90s art

Actually, that would be St. Elsewhere, a General Hospital knockoff that was ultimately revealed to be entirely acted between figments of a child's imagination.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Actually, that would be St. Elsewhere, a General Hospital knockoff that was ultimately revealed to be entirely acted between figments of a child's imagination.

Actually, that would be Osmosis Jones, a metaphorical representation of the processes within Bill Murray's body while his immune system fights off disease.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Actually that would be the Rob Zombie Halloween 2, where Michael Meyers' brain is controlled by a child, a horse, and Rob Zombie's wife

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'm looking forward to next chapter where Valkyrie's powers somehow cause Allison to be sent into the blandly Tron looking world inside the NYSE's computer network, where she punches a personification of capitalism and ends poverty.

Actually wait no, not Valkyrie. They have to introduce a male biodynamic antagonist for Allison to use for this because it's not an SFP chapter without Allison also violating someone's bodily autonomy but it's ok because he's a bad person.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 6, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zerilan posted:

I'm looking forward to next chapter where Valkyrie's powers somehow cause Allison to be sent into the blandly Tron looking world inside the NYSE's computer network, where she punches a personification of Chick-Fil-A and makes capitalism safe for woke, sassy Wendy's

ftfy

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rand Brittain posted:

It's not really that complicated.

He's called that because all these elaborate mental structures and personas are all ultimately there to protect someone who is at heart a frightened child.

Although, yeah, it is a little bit on the nose.

I think everyone does get this. As you say, it's on the nose!

It's also spectacularly boring characterization that as far as I can tell exists primarily to turn Patrick from a meaningful threat to Alison's worldview (he's been her foil basically constantly) into a Freudian puzzle. The existence of Lord Boy intentionally undercuts any ideological position Patrick has taken (and to be clear, his ideological positions weren't any less coherent than Gurwara's or Paladin's). He can just be stated to be a 'frightened child' and after that it's just about lovingly tearing him down so that he can be rebuilt in Alison's image. It literally infantilizes him, which is amusing in the context of Alison Green, whose moral development was explicitly supposed to be kind of immature, she's a college student casting about for answers and dating a sponge.

This isn't therapy, as noted, it's an aggressive act.
I expect it to work perfectly with no side effects, basically, and will be pleasantly surprised if the authors don't simply let Alison's aggression against her 'friend's' mental coping mechanisms be what he needs to fix himself and become normal and properly appreciative of her support (and of Clevin, whom he sinned against - in a complete departure from his usual character, meant to make it clear that this bad wounded person is in need of repair so that they don't lash out at good people).

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Paladinus posted:

I guess the point of the detour to Feral's mind was to show that 'normal' people don't have a bunch of headmates running around their mindscape, but instead it's just a version of yourself (how you perceive self/how you want to be perceived by others?) sitting around in a tiny quite place. Allison is going to make sure that all aspects of Patrick's personality are somehow united into one real Patrick, and this will heal his literally fractured mind. It's still not clear to me how real any of this poo poo is. Like, is Patrick aware there are those aspects of him? Is this how he consciously sees his own mind? Is it just a dream world not really bound by any logic? That would be kind of a big deal to find out that everyone has one or multiple tangible tiny people inside their head.

I think they're supposed to be Jungian archetypes - the female one is literally named "Anima" - but Mulligan doesn't actually understand the concept, so instead of being sensitive, Patrick's feminine side is the one who wants to purge his postive emotions. Menace is her counterpart, the animus, which isn't even something that's supposed to exist in the male psyche. They're both governed by his inner child in the form of Lord Boy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Emrikol posted:

I think they're supposed to be Jungian archetypes - the female one is literally named "Anima" - but Mulligan doesn't actually understand the concept, so instead of being sensitive, Patrick's feminine side is the one who wants to purge his postive emotions. Menace is her counterpart, the animus, which isn't even something that's supposed to exist in the male psyche. They're both governed by his inner child in the form of Lord Boy.

I doubt Mulligan really cares about Jungian analysis beyond "Anima is the female part" because he needed some aspect to be cooperative with Allison and masculinity is bad so it can't be an aspect represented as male.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's endlessly amusing how this darling of progressive webcomics is all about dominating people and bending them to your will. What a farce.

So, story time.

I only ever even heard about this comic from SA, where people kept diving into the Kill Six Billion Demons thread to make Clevin edits. After the umpteenth comic replacing Cio's face with some weird noodle-man, I followed a link back to the SFP thread and decided to see what people were talking about. I read the most recent page of the thread, but it was entirely made up of nonsensical memes about spaghetti, so I went back to the first page and started reading from the beginning. The thread at that time (2014) was almost entirely positive but kept referring to pages of the comic which weren't linked but appeared to have something to do with the titular character stopping a rapist, and it was really hard to follow and had nothing to do with this Clevin person, so I went even further back and started reading the comic from the beginning, all in order to understand the edits. So I read the first chapter, which i liked, and the second chapter, which was fine, and then the third chapter, which was the one where Feral is harvested for organs, and at that point I started having a bad feeling because the whole setup seemed incredibly morally contrived and dumb, and then I started the next chapter and it seemed like it was going to be about a dog dying and that is my loving mental poison, and also, there still wasn't any loving Clevin, so I stopped reading and gave up.

Then someone posted yet another Clevin edit, and I decided to give it one more shot and restarted the SFP thread from the then most recent page, which was right around this comic, and i was surprised to see that in the intervening years since 2014 the thread's opinion had done an almost complete 180 on the comic, and I wondered why everyone hated SFP so much; sure, the Feral arc was kind of contrived, but it wasn't all that bad, and then the next comic came out, and...

SNAP!

...holy poo poo, was that bad.

So to sum up: this comic appears to have gone downhill like Hell's freight train, and also I still don't know who Clevin is, but now I don't want anyone to tell me.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Zerilan posted:

I doubt Mulligan really cares about Jungian analysis beyond "Anima is the female part" because he needed some aspect to be cooperative with Allison and masculinity is bad so it can't be an aspect represented as male.

Yeah, to be clear, I don't think he actually understands anything more than the most superficial veneer. He just saw feminine side/masculine side/damaged inner child and just slapped them in there.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

So to sum up: this comic appears to have gone downhill like Hell's freight train, and also I still don't know who Clevin is, but now I don't want anyone to tell me.

Once you know who Clevin is, you can never go back. You will always be soft.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Where is Clevin right now? Did the author just forget about him because he's been at the store or whatever for a long time now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Where is Clevin right now? Did the author just forget about him because he's been at the store or whatever for a long time now.

He went to get pasta or some poo poo and then just didn't come back. Probably he will save tbe day since he's the only awake person

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
He's in the fridge, waiting for Allison to wake up.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Patrick dispelled his male ally facade and he ran off crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
You don't understand he shows people PICTURES OF HIS SUPER FAMOUS GIRLFRIEND. And and and.... says he is her boyfriend.

It's like he isn't even woke.

• Locked thread