Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Butcher posted:

Why do all the MLM moms use such an excessive amount of emoticons and the exact same overly cheery tone?

They all seem like they could have been written by the same person.

The emojis let you know that the entire message can be ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Corben Goble-Garbus posted:

I went through all of the Wayback Machine snapshots and found these old thread titles:

Tell us stories about people bad with money
Stories about people bad with money - The Derails Megathread
Bad with money, the Derails Megathread: Everyone is just looking for an excuse
Bad With Money: I feel a pang of guilt whenever I get into my pre-owned 2014 Sorrento
The Bad With Money Megathread: Derails and humble-brags 50c. the dozen (eggs 12c.)
Bad With Money: When you face the yolo, you have to face the consequences
Bad With Money: Building equuity
Bad With Money: Buying a personal submarine with AOL merger funds
Bad With Money: AOL employees buying Rolexes with their merger funds
Bad With Money: $300 is the entry point for fine dress shoes. Barely nice ones.
Bad With Money - Just wait till we're diamond!
Bad With Money: Lularoe and Meggings Too #MomBoss
Bad With Money - Housing typically appreciates at about 10% per year
Bad With Money - I BOUGHT EVERY HORSE I'VE EVER SEEN
Bad With Money 2.0: Selling Juiceros to fund my trip to Fyre Festival

Here's a bunch more from my browser history:

I laughed. You don't understand bitcoin. It's okay
Ah, mine isn't actually a BWM; that's just the dealership I bought it from
Chicken is trashy
I will buy 10$ of bitcoin every day instead of my daily cigarettes !
Carry around the amount of cash you think a rich person would carry
Biotruths and Anal Wine
#itstimetogetoily
Turn those machines back on!
avocado_toast.txt
[laughs in bitcoin]
South Dakota v. Fifteen Impounded Cats
Debbie gonna die.
I have been turned down for horse loans in the past
I wasn't satisfied until I had lost a thousand dollars
Miscellaneous (something always comes up): $10,000
Snake House would probably be a great house for the right buyer
Toilet Wine Tips and Tricks
The Corvette is a completely modern, competitive sports car whose en

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 6, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wonder if you could strip the parts out of it and sell it for a profit.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'll give you ten bux to hit it with a baseball bat.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Here's how to tear one down and get it actuating without the drm silliness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

I'll give you ten bux to hit it with a baseball bat.

SOLD! And I'll have more net profit than the Juicero company after everything is said and done!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Trustworthy posted:

Look at this amateur hour poo poo

(I measure celebrity-seeking BWM in Standard Unkle Adamstronomical Units now, so basically I'm numb to anything under six figures)

I had no idea who this was, and then Google turned up this for me... :stare:

I guess at this point a million people have probably heard of him?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're not going to be able to find a buyer for anything other than the scrap value and it looks to be a complicated scrap-out. Nearly every single chunk of aluminum in the stupid thing has steel pins pressed in and every single one of them will need to be removed.

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/2000/1*BfOHbPU_V7iXkIBPIP_9KA.jpeg

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I went through all of the Wayback Machine snapshots and found these old thread titles:

Bad With Money - I BOUGHT EVERY HORSE I'VE EVER SEEN

Still my fave

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I totally forgot about toilet wine tips and tricks, which was one of the best derails

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
the one that made me laugh every time i even read the title was "Looks like she's upside down on her horse mortgage"

I'm literally laughing just typing it out now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm the regular horse.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Mods please change my name to Strange Horse.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

The problem is people who cheat on their taxes don’t just cheat a little. Once you realize you can deduct so much you’re getting $10k+ in refunds every year, you don’t stop. And the longer the IRS doesn’t catch you, the more you do it.

Which is why you hear about these astronomical tax bills, because it’s like a decade’s worth of fraud.

So what you're saying is I'm safe as long as I only cheat one year

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah, it's like the sims, you can just not go to your job one day as long as you go the next one

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that most people who file their own taxes gently caress it up in some way. Hell, I've heard of tax prep services and CPAs loving up in various ways. I think it's probably just a matter of practicality that you assume most people whose numbers fall a few hundred up or down of reasonable estimates are probably not worth pursuing over, say, upper-middle-class idiots who think its reasonable to have a zero dollar tax bill on six-digit incomes, because somehow there's an inexhaustible supply of those.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I was told the same about being a drug mule 20 years ago. One big move, then get out forever.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Zachack posted:

I was told the same about being a drug mule 20 years ago. One big move, then get out forever.

And here you are 20 years later. How's business.

Jan 11, 2004

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that most people who file their own taxes gently caress it up in some way. Hell, I've heard of tax prep services and CPAs loving up in various ways. I think it's probably just a matter of practicality that you assume most people whose numbers fall a few hundred up or down of reasonable estimates are probably not worth pursuing over, say, upper-middle-class idiots who think its reasonable to have a zero dollar tax bill on six-digit incomes, because somehow there's an inexhaustible supply of those.

Just so you're aware most tax prep services are regular idiots who have taken like a four-week course or something and do seasonal tax preparation using whatever branded company's software package. The chance that they gently caress up your taxes in one or more of the thousands of possible ways if you do any other economic activity other than work at a job and collect a paycheck or give you generally bad tax advice is pretty good if you ask me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you get audited, and there was a screwup, does it help you at all if someone else prepared the return?

Jan 11, 2004
If you or they have audit insurance yes maybe but the ultimate responsibility for the return lies upon you

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Yes. The IRS is so underfunded as long as you're not contradicting some kind of easily cross referenced documentation like a W-2 or 1099, you can probably get away with one year. In other words cheat on subjective stuff, not objective stuff.

But that's all hypothetical because no one does it just once and now you're Wesley Snipes and the other inmates make jokes about always betting on you.

smackfu posted:

If you get audited, and there was a screwup, does it help you at all if someone else prepared the return?

Your CPA is obligated to help you deal with the IRA in case you're audited. That generally extends just as far as, "this is what Smackfu gave me, how was I supposed to know it was false?". Best case scenario you still owe the money.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Your CPA is obligated to help you deal with the IRA in case you're audited. That generally extends just as far as, "this is what Smackfu gave me, how was I supposed to know it was false?". Best case scenario you still owe the money.

If the mistake is the CPA's I assume you're still on the hook for the owed taxes, but can you recover penalties/interest or expenses associated with the audit from the CPA?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Spokes posted:

the one that made me laugh every time i even read the title was "Looks like she's upside down on her horse mortgage"

I'm literally laughing just typing it out now

I got the idea from that animated gif that had a horse rearing up and toppling over on top of the rider. Life imitates art! :D

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Hargrimm posted:

Chicken is trashy
Biotruths and Anal Wine
#itstimetogetoily
avocado_toast.txt
[laughs in bitcoin]
Debbie gonna die.

This is excellent. 'I wasn't satisfied until I had lost a thousand dollars' is another classic

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Hargrimm posted:

Chicken is trashy
Biotruths and Anal Wine
#itstimetogetoily
avocado_toast.txt
[laughs in bitcoin]
Debbie gonna die.

Thaaat's when I joined!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If the mistake is the CPA's I assume you're still on the hook for the owed taxes, but can you recover penalties/interest or expenses associated with the audit from the CPA?

I imagine you can sue them and get their license revoked if they made too many mistakes or acted in bad faith. After my CPA screwed up my taxes she went from super friendly to only saying things she wouldn't mind hearing in a courtroom. In my case the IRS reversed fees and paid me interest on my over-payment once everything was settled.

Hargrimm posted:

Chicken is trashy
Biotruths and Anal Wine
#itstimetogetoily
avocado_toast.txt
[laughs in bitcoin]
Debbie gonna die.

'Debbie gonna die' made me think of Leon Trotsky and now I'm sad. It's weird how someone who got along so well with people in this thread was a raging rear end in a top hat in every other part of SA.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
There are entire sections of the CPA exam devoted to CPA liability and when they are responsible for penalties, and I can tell you it's not that often!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Ehhh I don't know about that. According to this almost 70% of Americans take the standard deduction. And I bet that number goes up in 2018 with the doubling of the standard deduction.

If you aren't itemizing it's really pretty hard to gently caress up your personal income taxes unless you've got some real unusual poo poo going on.

I guess you could be loving up by not itemizing when you would stand to benefit from doing so, but that's just not the case for most people.

Jan 11, 2004
Probably like 99% of taxpayers will take the standard deduction from here on out

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah I wonder if most charities know how hosed they are.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

potatoducks posted:

Yeah I wonder if most charities know how hosed they are.

They know. Non-profits were among the biggest opponents of the new tax bill.

I guess churches think people will keep giving 10% even if there's no tax advantage. Good luck with that and I eagerly look forward to those new Trump regrets.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Trying not to veer too far into politics, I watched a documentary on food security and hunger in the US a couple years ago. The gist of it is that the US still has a huge problem with hunger and food insecurity (~12% of households skipping meals or modifying eating habits due to not enough food).
A big swing factor here is the charities and faith based organizations picking up the slack from where the government assistance leaves off, and without things like churches and food banks a lot of the working poor who are receiving SNAP benefits would not have enough to feed their families with.

So yeah, this tax plan that is removing tax incentives for donating to charity for a large part of the pool of donors is probably going to affect hunger in the US. Unless of course there's an offset in increased government spending on SNAP and other transfer programs to help the poor (there isn't).
Lots of terrible externalities from this have yet to be discovered, I expect.

Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I guess churches think people will keep giving 10% even if there's no tax advantage. Good luck with that and I eagerly look forward to those new Trump regrets.

Actually substantial tithing is probably one of the only ways that people will itemize going forward, for example if you have a maximum deductible mortgage plus state and local taxes to deduct, including itemized tithes what channel does donations is about the only way to meaningfully itemize. So rich people donating a lot of money to charity will benefit from itemizing, the huge majority of small dollar charitable donors will not.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sounds good to me, that way I don't have subsidize some dude in Georgia giving 10% of his gross to a megachurch. If you want to give money to a non-profit then go for it, but don't make everybody else subsidize it. They should have scrapped that and most other deductions entirely, but severely cutting back on who can use them is a good start. People forget that every time you give person A a break on their taxes person B has to pick up the slack.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Sounds good to me, that way I don't have subsidize some dude in Georgia giving 10% of his gross to a megachurch. If you want to give money to a non-profit then go for it, but don't make everybody else subsidize it. They should have scrapped that and most other deductions entirely, but severely cutting back on who can use them is a good start. People forget that every time you give person A a break on their taxes person B has to pick up the slack.

Doubling the standard deduction doesn't make some dude in Georgia stop having his church donations subsidized.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Doubling the standard deduction doesn't make some dude in Georgia stop having his church donations subsidized.

For most people it does because they will no longer hit the standard deduction. For some people it doesn't which is why the deduction should be eliminated entirely instead of just being scaled back, still moving in the right direction though.

Jan 11, 2004
E: nm

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Bad With Money: I feel a pang of guilt whenever I get into my pre-owned 2014 Sorrento
This was my favorite :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Most people I talk to have no idea that charitable giving has to be itemized and that they only get the benefit of itemizing if it exceeds the standard deduction. So I imagine most people won't actually notice that anything has changed. Heck most tax programs let you enter in all of your charitable givings regardless and if you just hit next next next you might not even note when it says it chose the standard deduction... or even what the implication of that is. And since the standard deduction is much more than what most people actually charitably give... that probably further entrenches the misinformation.