Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Why is the potential for disastrous debt there? Do you keep a budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

If you've come to the conclusion that using a credit card makes you spend recklessly, even if it remains within your means, I don't think it's a terrible idea to stop using a credit card. It's definitely not mathematically the right thing to do, but personal finance isn't just math. If you're going to do that though, definitely have a backup account, probably at a different bank, that has enough cash in it so you could survive while your primary account doesn't work.

Before you do that, would setting your credit card to autopay the full statement balance every month be enough motivation to make sure you don't overspend?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Or a CC with a limit equal to or less than your budget?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I actually don't overspend. I keep a budget and have been paying the card off every month for the three+ years I've had it, with the exception of one month late last year where we had some unexpected expenses.

It's more the principle. I have lots of non-cc debt that I'm getting fired up about snowballing. I actually despise the idea of borrowing money, and my major goal is to never do it again. Getting rid of the cc seems like a logical first step since it's too easy to think of it as an emergency fund. But ONLY if it's practical to get rid of it, which doesn't seem to be the case.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

I actually don't overspend. I keep a budget and have been paying the card off every month for the three+ years I've had it, with the exception of one month late last year where we had some unexpected expenses.

It's more the principle. I have lots of non-cc debt that I'm getting fired up about snowballing. I actually despise the idea of borrowing money, and my major goal is to never do it again. Getting rid of the cc seems like a logical first step since it's too easy to think of it as an emergency fund. But ONLY if it's practical to get rid of it, which doesn't seem to be the case.

If you have the self control not to overspend on it the upsides greatly outweigh the downsides. Try and remap it in your brain from borrowing money to the bank being your insurance policy instead of self insuring. I've been on the merchant side of a "whoops our billing system had a bug which ran your card 28 times last night" and you get a shocking number of people talking about bounced mortgage checks.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

H110Hawk posted:

If you have the self control not to overspend on it the upsides greatly outweigh the downsides. Try and remap it in your brain from borrowing money to the bank being your insurance policy instead of self insuring. I've been on the merchant side of a "whoops our billing system had a bug which ran your card 28 times last night" and you get a shocking number of people talking about bounced mortgage checks.

I like this logic. Okay I'm convinced.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Hello BFC chatthread, I have a personal tutoring business where I teach math to students in the Portland area. It's pretty fun actually though driving around all day stinks. Anyway, I had some business cards printed up which has made giving contact details to clients easier, but I'm looking for bulletin boards and other places I can stick them up around town. I've tried some college libraries/bookstores and coffee shops, but few places seem willing to let me advertise a private thing there. Any ideas on cheap advertising opportunities?

Appreciate any advice anyone has (or a better place to post this) and I am trying to go all week without eating restaurant food, wish me luck.

Well, I threw some money into the AdWords slot machine -- got 166 unique visitors but no one called me. It's hard to reach people!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Word of mouth is going to do you better than any traditional advertising in that field IMO. I've known two people in the past ~10 years who have been successful enough at tutoring to go full time, and in both cases it was really slow and frustrating the first two years or so getting and keeping clients, but eventually they hit a tipping point where they worked their way up to pretty wealthy/connected clients who recommended the tutor to their wealthy/connected friends and it quickly snowballed to where they had more demand than time and were able to significantly raise their hourly rates.

That was in the Boston and NYC areas, though. Don't know anything about what it's like in Portland.

Also both of my acquaintances worked primarily with middle and high school students. You're selling your services to parents (they're the ones who have the money after all) more so than to students, plus every sizable college has its own free tutoring services so it's hard to convince college students they should pay you instead.

Best thing you can do is make sure everyone you know knows you're an awesome math tutor!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Well, I threw some money into the AdWords slot machine -- got 166 unique visitors but no one called me. It's hard to reach people!
Not a great time for it. Midterms and finals are good times to pick up clients. Tell your current kids you have some spots open if any of their friends need help with math, tell the parents as well. Consider boning up on SAT math and possibly other subjects to tutor the subject tests; this helps during the summer months.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Word of mouth is going to do you better than any traditional advertising in that field IMO. I've known two people in the past ~10 years who have been successful enough at tutoring to go full time, and in both cases it was really slow and frustrating the first two years or so getting and keeping clients, but eventually they hit a tipping point where they worked their way up to pretty wealthy/connected clients who recommended the tutor to their wealthy/connected friends and it quickly snowballed to where they had more demand than time and were able to significantly raise their hourly rates.

That was in the Boston and NYC areas, though. Don't know anything about what it's like in Portland.

Also both of my acquaintances worked primarily with middle and high school students. You're selling your services to parents (they're the ones who have the money after all) more so than to students, plus every sizable college has its own free tutoring services so it's hard to convince college students they should pay you instead.

Best thing you can do is make sure everyone you know knows you're an awesome math tutor!

moana posted:

Not a great time for it. Midterms and finals are good times to pick up clients. Tell your current kids you have some spots open if any of their friends need help with math, tell the parents as well. Consider boning up on SAT math and possibly other subjects to tutor the subject tests; this helps during the summer months.

No doubt word of mouth is a good way of picking up more clients; I have about half my current gang from referrals between clients. I was really hoping that with AdWords I could pick up more clients on demand, though. I wish there was some good way to do more formal advertising but it's hard to imagine that I could afford anything worthwhile. I specifically made this ad to target statistics students, but maybe I should have made a special webpage for stats students instead of a crappy squarespace page about my tutoring in general.

This is not really a career for me because it will never pay that well and there's always seasonal variation (though I do SAT/ACT, physics, a lot of different math levels, and such) so I plan to get a conventional job "soon", but that keeps getting pushed off because I do really enjoy tutoring. I mean there are a lot of organizations and businesses that can charge less than I do, but I think I do a better job in most cases. I could certainly be doing the business side better though. :)

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 22, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Did my taxes last night for 2016 and 2017, getting a pretty decent return because of over-withholding from switching jobs. Wasting it all on hookers and blow topping up our IRAs for 2018. :confuoot:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This is not really a career for me because it will never pay that well and there's always seasonal variation
At my top end, I was making close to six figures tutoring and billing out my highest end students at $250/hr. There absolutely is room for a career if you enjoy it, but consider joining a small boutique test prep firm if you don't want to deal with the business side.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
I remember a long time ago there was a small thread here talking about the financials of working as a driver for Lyft/Uber. Archives now I'm sure.

From what I remember most posters were down on the idea either because the driver is leveraging the value of their vehicle in the process or due to the insurance liabilities involved.
I'm currently considering it while I wait for my next gig to start and was curious if the consensus was still largely the same.

For reference for vehicle value - my car has much lower mileage than average for its year/make/model. According to blue book if I put 10000 miles on it I'd lose about $350 and 30000 about $1100.
Also a link to Uber's policy regarding insurance while 'on the clock' so to speak: https://www.uber.com/drive/insurance/
If I remember right the issue with insurance was as much your private insurance arguing that you were working as Uber arguing you weren't though so I'm not sure how much that matters.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
According to a study that's just been published by MIT (I haven't read it and have only seen some headlines about it and read an NPR article), the average profit for an Uber/Lyft driver is $3.37/hr, and 30% of drivers actually lose money.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/02/590168381/uber-lyft-drivers-earning-a-median-profit-of-3-37-per-hour-study-says

I can't say I've looked into it too much, and others may have more positive things to say.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arkangelus posted:

I remember a long time ago there was a small thread here talking about the financials of working as a driver for Lyft/Uber. Archives now I'm sure.

From what I remember most posters were down on the idea either because the driver is leveraging the value of their vehicle in the process or due to the insurance liabilities involved.
I'm currently considering it while I wait for my next gig to start and was curious if the consensus was still largely the same.

For reference for vehicle value - my car has much lower mileage than average for its year/make/model. According to blue book if I put 10000 miles on it I'd lose about $350 and 30000 about $1100.
Also a link to Uber's policy regarding insurance while 'on the clock' so to speak: https://www.uber.com/drive/insurance/
If I remember right the issue with insurance was as much your private insurance arguing that you were working as Uber arguing you weren't though so I'm not sure how much that matters.

At all times, and reconfirmed recently, most Uber drivers are trading vehicle depreciation for less than minimum wage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ests/389230002/

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

At all times, and reconfirmed recently, most Uber drivers are trading vehicle depreciation for less than minimum wage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ests/389230002/

As I recall the previous thread devolved into a string of 'yeah but's from OP trying to justify working as a driver. I certainly don't want to be that guy but...

I wish that they'd published the full paper already. Based on my admittedly low level of understanding the inclusion of insurance in costs seems strange. Arguably at least a decent portion of the maintenance category shouldn't be included either. The research brief seems to be written more for the benefit of government analysis since regardless of whether the drivers are getting ripped off the companies are getting massive tax breaks.

Are there any other studies or internet analyses you know of that include the data so I can conclusively put the idea to bed?

Fake edit: I seriously don't want to be that guy, but if you'd humor me with one or two 'yeah but's I'd be grateful.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Arkangelus posted:

Fake edit: I seriously don't want to be that guy, but if you'd humor me with one or two 'yeah but's I'd be grateful.

It's not "data" per se, but:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2017/11/22/mr-money-mustache-uber-driver/

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

Useful either way, thanks!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Uber’s insurance only covers you for liability while you have a fare in the vehicle or something; it’s pretty narrow.

Your personal vehicle insurance will drop you like a hot potato as soon as you mention Uber.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Uber’s insurance only covers you for liability while you have a fare in the vehicle or something; it’s pretty narrow.

Your personal vehicle insurance will drop you like a hot potato as soon as you mention Uber.

I've pretty much already talked myself out of it but that no longer appears to be the case unless I'm misreading something here:
https://www.uber.com/drive/insurance/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Arkangelus posted:

I've pretty much already talked myself out of it but that no longer appears to be the case unless I'm misreading something here:
https://www.uber.com/drive/insurance/

while you are correct that uber covers for liability when signed in to the app now, limits are quite low

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

while you are correct that uber covers for liability when signed in to the app now, limits are quite low

And reads on that page like secondary insurance which only exists if you have primary coverage. Given all of majors now drop you or deny any claim while the Uber app is open those might not cover you. (looking at the "driving to a pickup" section.)

Secondary to all of that your insurance is going to ding you for all the miles you drive regardless of how many are personal likely unless you have really good documentation showing when they are covering you. Like, odometer readings every time you change coverage.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Uber doesn’t cover damage to your car, either. Operating a business without insurance on your primary tool seems like a bad idea.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

FrozenVent posted:

Uber doesn’t cover damage to your car, either. Operating a business without insurance on your primary tool seems like a bad idea.

Seems like the answer to this would just to be legally parked unless you've already accepted a request. Obviously not ideal/somewhat inconvenient though.

H110Hawk posted:

And reads on that page like secondary insurance which only exists if you have primary coverage. Given all of majors now drop you or deny any claim while the Uber app is open those might not cover you. (looking at the "driving to a pickup" section.)

I read this as they're not going to cover you for it unless you pay for it on your own insurance as well (IE if you only pay for liability they're not going to cover comprehensive for you). Since it's not written in legalese you very well may be correct though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
GEICO offers a rideshare policy that covers you and you can also get that $3 an hour you are making down to under a $1. Gig Economy!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FWIW I checked with my insurance when considering driving for Order Up. State Farm said that as long as 50% or less of your driving is for delivery it’s covered under your normal policy. I believe there’s usually a delivery rider you can get from any company, since delivery driving is a much older job.

I’ve got no idea how driving for Order Up compares to Uber, but trips tend to be shorter and pay is based off of deliveries rather than miles.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’ve got no idea how driving for Order Up compares to Uber

Acting as a livery driver is pretty significantly different than delivering objects in terms of insurance risk.

Food deliveries don't sue for medical costs after an accident.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That’s true. I meant more in terms of income. I used to deliver pizza, but not for long enough to see what it did to my maintenance costs, the paychecks and tips didn’t come at the same time (2/4 of my paychecks actually came after they store closed because the franchise owner was so disorganized), and obviously that was W2 rather than 1099.

My wife is actually going to give it a shot, so I’ll hopefully know soon. Her car is a ‘99 ZX2 with 50k miles, so deprecation isn’t really a thing there.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Any way to reverse a Western Union transfer?

No, this isn't a 'I thought he was a real prince from Nigeria' question.

Friend has been offered payment in the UK from a customer in Africa by WU and is concerned that they might reverse the transaction once the goods are shipped.
My understanding is that once WU transfer has been made, it is impossible to reverse it. However, as they would be paying into his bank a/c, I suppose technically WU could claw it back in the case of fraud?

Unsurprisingly, all the detailed answers are aimed towards the first situation.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Don’t accept WU as payment for legitimate business. Just don’t.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

spog posted:

Friend has been offered payment in the UK from a customer in Africa by WU and is concerned that they might reverse the transaction once the goods are shipped.
My understanding is that once WU transfer has been made, it is impossible to reverse it. However, as they would be paying into his bank a/c, I suppose technically WU could claw it back in the case of fraud?

No, there isn't, no Western Union will not help you at all if you have been defrauded, no there is absolutely no reason to use Western Union for any reason other than personal money transfers to countries where banking is limited. Western Union and its affiliates have been sued and fined multiple times by regulators around the world for aiding and abetting fraud and recently settled with the Federal Trade Commission over their fraud friendly business practices.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FrozenVent posted:

Don’t accept WU as payment for legitimate business. Just don’t.

It's not his first choice, but the alternative is having a some relative/friend come out of the woodwork and pay them in cash

Despite its reputation, it is a legitimate payment method - it's not like they are offering bitcoins.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

No, there isn't, no Western Union will not help you at all if you have been defrauded, no there is absolutely no reason to use Western Union for any reason other than personal money transfers to countries where banking is limited. Western Union and its affiliates have been sued and fined multiple times by regulators around the world for aiding and abetting fraud and recently settled with the Federal Trade Commission over their fraud friendly business practices.

Agreed that it is silly for sending money, but this case is about receiving money and the whole deal is legit and not shady.
The concern is that is whether it's like Paypal where all can go through fine and then 3 weeks later, the buyer says 'oh no, it was damaged, please refund my money Paypal' and your a/c gets debited without any recourse.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The moment someone says Western Union, the deal is no longer legit and not shady, sorry.

Having Western Union anywhere in his business accounts is just a giant red blinking neon that says “AUDIT ME!”

That being said, no, they can’t reverse the transaction, hence the shadiness. What the other guy may do is either:

A) have a third party pay under false pretense, in which case congrats on receiving the proceeds of fraud;
B) transfer more than the agreed amount and ask the receiver to transfer the money back or give it to a friend or whatever, in which case congrats on being an accessory to money laundering;
C) a combination of the above.

If the deal pays enough that he’s willing to overlook the stigma of a WU payment, it should pay enough to use a legit wire transfer from a legit bank to a legit bank.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spog posted:

This is dumb as hell, your friend should be ashamed, and both of you should know better than to take Western God drat Union for purchase payments. Their entire business model is designed around P2P non-commercial payments and monetary instruments, and has little to no system in place to mediate disputes over goods or services. Of course your friend is going to get burned, I look forward to your update where you tell everyone this buyer sent your friend extra money to ship faster but it turned out the funds were completely fraudulent the whole time.

For gently caress's sake this is a terrible idea you've cooked up, back the gently caress out before you end up having to explain this dumbass story to the police as they try to stifle laughter about y'all missing every red flag in the book.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

This is dumb as hell

It's one of few things that are almost as dumb as Bitcoin.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Adulthood is just a series of increasingly expensive days, but I got a new single-day high score for expenditure today.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
wow so exciting

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

potatoducks posted:

wow so exciting

Don't b a dick

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Adulthood is just a series of increasingly expensive days, but I got a new single-day high score for expenditure today.

House? Car? Horse wedding??

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
2017 under-withholding.

Certainly the day "we bought a house" was a longer and higher commitment of total payment, but this is the most I've ever written checks for in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't b a dick

Not at all man. I hope you were as enthralled by that as I was.