Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Geemer posted:

I know. I was using that "supposed" in the least literal sense. Regardless, it's a really badly designed puzzle and whoever thought it up should feel bad to this day.

It's more intuitive IMO than the "pull the tongue on the statue" puzzle in the same dungeon. It's just way harder than any of the other puzzles in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ice Dungeon is great and I love it

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Just learn the Ice Palace Bomb Jump so it's not an issue. :v:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Bombos melts Kholdstare's ice block in one hit, while the Fire Rod takes eight blasts. You emptied your magic on seven fire rod blasts & then switched to Bombos after chugging a green potion :negative:

It didn't end up mattering but still.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

oldskool posted:

Bombos melts Kholdstare's ice block in one hit, while the Fire Rod takes eight blasts. You emptied your magic on seven fire rod blasts & then switched to Bombos after chugging a green potion :negative:

This is a learning LP.

By which I mean I learn many things from everyone here after the fact.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

oldskool posted:

FPzero believes that there's no kill like overkill. :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
There's a third way past the rock and the peg near the Dark World Witches' Hut: swimming up the river. If you have neither Gloves nor Hammer and have been forced to get to the DW via Agahnim, you only need the Flippers and the Hookshot for West DW access.

That's a fairly rare scenario, although it can happen so it's good to know. I think I've only had that happen to me once or maybe twice.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

tiistai posted:

There's a third way past the rock and the peg near the Dark World Witches' Hut: swimming up the river. If you have neither Gloves nor Hammer and have been forced to get to the DW via Agahnim, you only need the Flippers and the Hookshot for West DW access.

That's a fairly rare scenario, although it can happen so it's good to know. I think I've only had that happen to me once or maybe twice.

That should also be fairly slow, so it's not something you'd likely get clued into from watching randomizer races either. No one is likely to commit to a long walk around the world-map loop if they can in any way avoid it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
To answer Crow's question from a couple videos ago in more real-world terms, ALBW was started as a straight-up 3DS remake of LttP. They just decided partway into production to spice things up by changing the story, and the gameplay diverged (slightly) from there. There's not actually any story connection between the two games.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

WE FOUND IT

and also say screw it to ever fighting Trinexx this run.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
You might have already mentioned it, but do the telepathy stones in the dungeons do anything important in this hack?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

C-Euro posted:

You might have already mentioned it, but do the telepathy stones in the dungeons do anything important in this hack?

Pretty sure none of them are changed, so they'll just spit out some Japanese text

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm so glad you got that key before you caused irreparable damage to your livers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you talk to the bomb trees they just spout japanese at you so I think the tiles are the same way.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Literally every Randomizer I've played has gotten me the Mirror Shield in Turtle Rock.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr Pepper posted:

Literally every Randomizer I've played has gotten me the Mirror Shield in Turtle Rock.

If you didn't have Cape or Byrna, that makes sense, as you need one of the three logically for the laser bridge.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kyrosiris posted:

If you didn't have Cape or Byrna, that makes sense, as you need one of the three logically for the laser bridge.

I got it on the Laser Bridge once.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

C-Euro posted:

Some of them tell you things related to the randomizer, but not all of them. I think the one in Eastern Palace mentions that you need the Bow to finish it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Logically yes.

Alternatively you need to stradle the edge of the single tile wide platform and pray that you don't fall into the pit and back to the start of the room, or take a hit and get knocked in the pit and have to restart the room.

This is not from spiteful angry experience why do you ask?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It is possible to loot the chests in Laser Bridge without having any items to deal with the lasers; it requires careful positioning and timing. But it shouldn't be required by the logic, i.e. it's a sequence break.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah the timing with the laser skips isn't quite as difficult as it would seem, partly because only the tip of the laser actually has a hitbox. Even so it's still kinda tricky. May or may not be easier with the boots, depends on the player.

Also, the cane uses a bit less magic than the cape, the lag has nothing to do with it since it's not like the magic usage is tied to real time.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 8, 2018

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

tiistai posted:

Yeah the timing with the laser skips isn't quite as difficult as it would seem, partly because only the tip of the laser actually has a hitbox. Even so it's still kinda tricky. May or may not be easier with the boots, depends on the player.

Also, the cane uses a bit less magic than the cape, the lag has nothing to do with it since it's not like the magic usage is tied to real time.

Neat thing about the cape, if you are swinging your sword it doesn't consume magic, and if you pull on a wall it doesn't consume magic. Makes tile rooms a lot easier since you can just hug a wall until the tiles stop flying.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KieranWalker posted:

To answer Crow's question from a couple videos ago in more real-world terms, ALBW was started as a straight-up 3DS remake of LttP. They just decided partway into production to spice things up by changing the story, and the gameplay diverged (slightly) from there. There's not actually any story connection between the two games.

Really now? That's pretty neat. Thanks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Not that that's going to stop my 50-page timeline put on corkboard with string.

It's all connected, I know it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

tiistai posted:

It's a tad more complicated than that.

You have 128 points in your magic meter. The Fire Rod uses 16 and the Medallions 32, for the familiar values of eight Fire Rod shots or four spell casts.

The Magic Cape uses 1 point every four frames, or 15 per second. We'll also call this 30 every two seconds, for accurate comparisons
Meanwhile, the Cane of Byrna uses 4 magic every 24 frames, or 10 every second. Since this isn't quite accurate (one second will only tick twice since it's every 24 frames) we can call this 20 every two seconds and be completely accurate.

So the Cane is better. Except that it also has an initial startup cost of 16 magic. So the Magic Cape costs 30 every two seconds, while the Cane costs 16 initial plus 20 every two seconds. After two seconds the Cape will have cost 30 where the Cane will have cost 36. After four seconds, the Cape will have cost 60 where the Cane would have cost 56.

Three seconds can be estimated as 45 for the Cape and 46 for the Cane, although again this isn't completely accurate (but you're not going to stop using each right on the frame anyway so whatever).

So the Cane of Byrna is only better than the Cape if you need more than three seconds of invincibility when you use it. Combined with it being slower in actual time and the damage dealing part sometimes being more harm than help, and it's not hard to see why it's considered inferior in every way. It's a safer option for some boss fights if you're low on hearts (Blind and Kholdstare phase 2 being the standouts, I think) but otherwise usually not worth your time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

^^^ I thought Fire Rod could only be used 7 times before draining the bar for some reason. Hm. Still, that's an interesting write up of the magic system!

Now Fairy is my best friend. And we can finally run fast for all the good that does us.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FPzero posted:

^^^ I thought Fire Rod could only be used 7 times before draining the bar for some reason. Hm. Still, that's an interesting write up of the magic system!

Now Fairy is my best friend. And we can finally run fast for all the good that does us.

I know you 'don't need' to beat Trinex, but don't you have to kill him to get whatever's on the pedastal?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Kurieg posted:

I know you 'don't need' to beat Trinex, but don't you have to kill him to get whatever's on the pedastal?

He does, which means he only has to do that if he needs whatever's on the pedestal, which is not very likely.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

AweStriker posted:

He does, which means he only has to do that if he needs whatever's on the pedestal, which is not very likely.

I believe they checked the spoiler file to see if there was anything important on the pedestal, and the consensus was "don't bother".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Fear not. The reveal of what is/was on the Master Sword pedestal is coming.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FPzero posted:

I read too fast and thought this said, "Friendship ended with Fae." :ohdear:

Also, lol at that flying tile room troll.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Is there a technical reason why Triforce Hunt and Keysanity can't be combined? I like that mode but the dungeons are ton less interesting without Keysanity.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't know what the reason is but I wish that they could be mixed. It might have something to do with the way the game populates the Triforce Pieces and having to make sure they don't overwrite key locations?

We charge our way up Ganon's Tower and beat the game while Artix tells me all the things I missed out on. Thanks for watching the LP!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for running the thread, FP! It's been fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Thank you for pointing me towards the randomizer, it's really a wonderful thing. I had more and more urge to try it myself after each of your videos, and now I bit the bullet, it's great! I got Hammer, Moon Pearl, Flippers, Shoes, Gloves...no sword...and I really need to explore the Dark World because I got everything you need to go there. With five hearts.

At least I found the Flute deep deep in Skull Woods just now (got a buncha key for that and it IS close to the one accessible portal...), so I can do some death mountaineering. Also it really sucks having to go from Sanctuary to Kakariko to the woods to the portal to where you need to go in Dark World every time you die, so tbh I just savestated after the portal. Other than that, amazing.
You might notice also that I never mentioned having found a sword.

EDIT: drat, this seed is fun. Had to go around the entire Dark World to get not-Quake which turned out to be the Hookshot, this gave me access to the other part of Death Mountain, where I just found the bow. Now I can finally kill the mirrored red guys in Palace of Darkness...it's like the game planned that, amazing.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 9, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks, it's been a cool thread and that randomizer is also cool. I should try it out sometime but I think I'd drive myself crazy trying to 100% it...

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
A couple of quick QoL things:
- You were fiddling around setting up the dash jump in Ganon's Tower, but you can change the dash direction during the initial spin-up animation. Just face to the side, start holding A and then hold the direction you want to go before the dash starts. Useful in other tight spots as well like King's Tomb.
- Bunny Beams or whatever they're actually called can be turned into fairies with the powder before they start moving, or even when they're still under a pot (as long as you know which pots have them)

Thanks for keeping this thread alive a bit longer

tiistai fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 9, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Okay I just had to look this thing in your videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwQsmMFdmi0&t=1295s
Why the gently caress can you shoot over this stone

I'm not complaining because that got me two full hearts, my first sword AND the mirror but aaah I would never have progressed because I thought you HAD to have the boomerang for this switch!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Simply Simon posted:

Okay I just had to look this thing in your videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwQsmMFdmi0&t=1295s
Why the gently caress can you shoot over this stone

I'm not complaining because that got me two full hearts, my first sword AND the mirror but aaah I would never have progressed because I thought you HAD to have the boomerang for this switch!

If I recall right, that particular obstacle is sort of weird; it blocks arrows and the hookshot, but not boomerangs, the cane of Somaria, sword-beams, or thrown bombs. I don't know if it blocks Fire or Ice rod shots, never thought to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It does not block arrows, this is how I just got to the chests. It does, however, block the Hookshot, which I got before the bow, so I tried that vainly and concluded "guess I absolutely need the Boomerang then". I also tried bombs but not throwing them directly AT the stone so jury's out on that one.

Game's wide open now, by the way; I suspect I either miss That One Key down the line somewhere or it's just smooth sailing. So I'll stop giving a progress report even though I love doing those ;). Other unmentioned highlights include: Blind as the first boss; Blind with a Hammer, no mail and 7 hearts; copious savestate abuse somewhere different and surely not at that particular point. Blind gave me a Piece of Heart though so totally worth it.

• Locked thread