Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The RO callbacks felt a bit overdone, to be sure, but I still really like Luke saying something along the lines of he being less certain about turning off his targeting computer had he known the sacrifices that it took to get him to that moment. Nicely introspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I am loving the star crossed romance of Sir and Joystick Chevron, long may it continue.

As far as Triple Zero goes, originally I figured he was just a homage but now I'm wondering if we're getting a straight up HK-47 reveal coming up. Wouldn't be the first time he's had memory problems...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On the one hand, I have a hard time believing they'll add KOTOR to canon, but on the other, Gillen got his start as a video game writer, so I suppose it's possible.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Endless Mike posted:

On the one hand, I have a hard time believing they'll add KOTOR to canon, but on the other, Gillen got his start as a video game writer, so I suppose it's possible.

They can be selective about it, integrating Thrawn in Rebels didn't make Heir to the Empire canon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah. It's just kind of weird though because why even bother at that point?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Because it's cool

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Roth posted:

Because it's cool

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also, I think this issue had the most significant LGBT representation Star Wars has ever had.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/sapphicgeek/status/958832049879732224

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

Also, I think this issue had the most significant LGBT representation Star Wars has ever had.

Are we just talking comics? If so you're probably right; but the Aftermath trilogy has a main character in a gay relationship with a side character, and at least one lesbian couple who make a couple tertiary appearances through the series.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, the new EU had actually has a pretty decent track record with LGBT representation, especially as compared to the old (and, let's face it, the films).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Star Wars books aren't really something I go for. I'm familiar with the comics and the cartoons.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The recent A New Hope anthology book had a story about a character heavily implied to be Grand Moff Tarkin being gay and having a fetish for stormtroopers. I only read it because it had stories from comics writers I like including Kieron Gillen (an Aphra story, of course), Matt Fraction, Charles Soule, and some others.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The idea that the Empire is okay with homosexuality and women and people of a different race is loving stupid.

There's a reason Lucas cast them all as pasty white British guys.

Pretending that the establishment is okay with diversity but still oppresses the masses in some nebulous evil way plays right into the hands of the modern Liberal government and Trumps lovely "friend of the gays" persona.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, the new EU had actually has a pretty decent track record with LGBT representation, especially as compared to the old (and, let's face it, the films).

Whilst I like Rose and her storyline with Finn, I would have been on board with Finn and Poe hooking up, and how much the meltdown from the worse of the internet would have been. How loving huge would that have been? Would also have meant the lead trio actually spent some time together in TLJ, which would have been nice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

The idea that the Empire is okay with homosexuality and women and people of a different race is loving stupid.

Pretending that the establishment is okay with diversity but still oppresses the masses in some nebulous evil way plays right into the hands of the modern Liberal government and Trumps lovely "friend of the gays" persona.
They don't though? The Tarkin story made it clear he was hiding it, so I wouldn't say it was portraying it as "okay" with the empire. How canon the book is is dubious in any case. I do agree with you, and pretty much every EU portrayal of a non-white human male Imperial made it clear they had to bust their rear end above and beyond what anyone else had to do, so it still mostly fits.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

The new continuity has gone more with "the Empire is anti-alien" rather than "the empire is anti-everything that's not a white man"; but with a side dish of "white men just happen to be in a majority of the leadership roles"; kinda like our real world distribution of politicians or Fortune 500 CEOs, where older white dudes are still a rampant majority despite ostensible equality.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

jivjov posted:

The new continuity has gone more with "the Empire is anti-alien" rather than "the empire is anti-everything that's not a white man"; but with a side dish of "white men just happen to be in a majority of the leadership roles"; kinda like our real world distribution of politicians or Fortune 500 CEOs, where older white dudes are still a rampant majority despite ostensible equality.

The old EU was shifting toward this portrayal of the Empire in its final years if I remember correctly.

Also with the April solicitations out Poe #26 (and more?) will be covering The Force Awakens from Poe point of view. I think they might do an arc or two covering where the Black Squadron characters went after TFW. Since they don’t appear at all in TLJ.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
What's the chance Disney/Marvel will be releasing more Legend Anthrologies including the Tales of the Jedi series? I want to read those in physical form but the omnibus' are either mega expensive or unavailable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All the Dark Horse comics have been finding their way into the Epic Collection line so far.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I think it's pretty neat we're going to see the subjugation and later liberation of Mon Calamari run in parallel in the Darth Vader and Star Wars series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/971098532219322368

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

Whilst I like Rose and her storyline with Finn, I would have been on board with Finn and Poe hooking up, and how much the meltdown from the worse of the internet would have been. How loving huge would that have been? Would also have meant the lead trio actually spent some time together in TLJ, which would have been nice.

Are Poe, Finn, and Rey really a "trio"? I mean, I'm pretty sure Poe and Rey have spent all of five minutes with each other.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they are the leads of the movies

and there are three of them

three people is a trio

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess it just feels like there's an implication that all of them have something to do with each other.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fun fact: Poe was actually meant to die in TFA (which is to say he would not have come back from the TIE fighter crash), but they liked Oscar Isaac's performance so much they wrote Poe back into the movie.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Fun fact: Poe was actually meant to die in TFA (which is to say he would not have come back from the TIE fighter crash), but they liked Oscar Isaac's performance so much they wrote Poe back into the movie.

So his character is canonically "charismatic good guy idiot who should be dead," huh?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So his character is canonically "charismatic good guy idiot who should be dead," huh?

It's pretty obvious too. He really doesn't exist plot wise for the rest of the movie and his actions don't make sense. If he was alive, why did he just go home instead of finishing his mission? His post "death" scenes could be removed and the plot would be unchanged. Finn and to a smaller degree Rey had some kind of character arc but he has nothing. Hell as stated earlier he doesn't meet Rey until the final scene of the second movie.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Aphra is real lovely person. Like god drat.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

OhFunny posted:

She's the best.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

OhFunny posted:

Ooof, you weren't kidding. We're gonna run out of cool cyborgs at this rate.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been reading more new EU novels, since I've been in the hospital and have had little time to do anything else.

Am I the only one sad Vidian doesn't survive A New Dawn? I thought he was a wonderful villain.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Doctor Aphra is still really good. The next story arc hasn't even started, and she already has (at least) three plans to break out of the most inescapable prison in the galaxy.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, Doctor Aphra is The Best. Yes, Aphra herself is The Worst but in a good way, I loved that Tolvan gave her a taste of her own medicine , they really are a perfect pairing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/charlessoule/status/992916997406187521?s=21

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Hey, Emperor Palpatine, I need a place to crash." "K, I've got just the place."

(12 hours later)

"You are a tremendous cockbite." "I know, my Apprentice, I know."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh cool the worst part of the Disney Wars

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Taintrunner posted:

oh cool the worst part of the Disney Wars

You serious? Vader's lava castle is loving rad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jivjov posted:

You serious? Vader's lava castle is loving rad

There's already an evil castle in the Space Fantasy epic known as Star Wars it was called the Death Star

Darth Vader doesn't have a home.

quote:

Leia: Governor Tarkin, I should’ve expected to find you holding Vader’s leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board.

The reach of the Empire spans almost the entire galaxy and he doesn't have time to take vacation days in a stupid loving lava castle. He's dragged around the Emperor's realm on a leash to intimidate the right people and murder the bad people (Jedi) so he doesn't have time to go home and take up a goddamn hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry you hate fun