Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
*drives excavator into building with hoe ram attachment, smacks floor a few times, strolls out*

its art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
*irises open radiological pipeline inspection camera at crowd*

don't critique my art

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I mean Hitler was an artist

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

iirc there was a guy a couple years back who did an art that was like, a robot, and it used a camera and some "secret but not random" set of rules to determine if it should hurt the person in front of it, and you put your hand down on it and it would wave a pin around menacingly and if it decided it didn't like you it would stab you with the pin

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Munkeymon posted:

so were the victims of the ghost ship warehouse fire

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xaris posted:

*drives excavator into building with hoe ram attachment, smacks floor a few times, strolls out*

its art

:killdozer: was never understood by the critics of his day

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

iirc there was a guy a couple years back who did an art that was like, a robot, and it used a camera and some "secret but not random" set of rules to determine if it should hurt the person in front of it, and you put your hand down on it and it would wave a pin around menacingly and if it decided it didn't like you it would stab you with the pin

code:
if(centerPixel.magnitude() > WHITE_THRESHOLD){
     pin.stab();
}

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

laffo blackberry is now a patent troll, they're suing facebook

quote:

We have a lot of respect for Facebook and the value they’ve placed on messaging capabilities, some of which were invented by BlackBerry. As a cybersecurity and embedded software leader, BlackBerry’s view is that Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp could make great partners in our drive toward a securely connected future, and we continue to hold this door open to them. However, we have a strong claim that Facebook has infringed on our intellectual property, and after several years of dialogue, we also have an obligation to our shareholders to pursue appropriate legal remedies.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

the guy who runs this is a total shitbag

the entire face of his company is a contractor

lol at the ceo backing down the next day and trying to act like it never happened

hopefully scott gets the hint

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

laffo blackberry is now a patent troll, they're suing facebook

headline says copyright, article says patent

which is it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

jeff fatwood of snack overflow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
...pedestrians are bodily attacking self driving vehicles, autonomous vehicle company claims

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

those incidents happened 4 blocks apart

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ate all the Oreos posted:

There's a pong game that electrocutes your controller hand a little bit when your opponent scores that's an installation at some German art museum.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that pedestrian just jumped out and hit our car! of course we didn't call the police

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

infernal machines posted:

that pedestrian just jumped out and hit our car! of course we didn't call the police

Yeah, that really reads more like "pedestrian not paying attention, ran in to parked car" and had nothing to do with the autonomous nature of the vehicle.

The cabbie slapping the window? Gee, I wonder why he was annoyed.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol that rules

but i wonder if they actually needed to get an architect to sign off on it beyond just compliance w/ temporary work conditions since presumably warnings and attendants are all that’s required

heh. you just don’t get art, do you?

:smug:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Munkeymon posted:

hosed up way to talk about the holocaust imo.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

hosed up way to talk about the holocaust imo.

was he actually as prolific as everyone says he was i hear there were a lotta forgeries

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

was he actually as prolific as everyone says he was i hear there were a lotta forgeries

:sbahj:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*irises open radiological pipeline inspection camera at crowd*

don't critique my art

*builds a giant open office with giant panes of glass that people keep walking into*

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i think im gonna do a performance art whereby i just sit on a stool toilet in an empty white room and read a printout of this thread.

every poster itt gets their own funny voice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, that really reads more like "pedestrian not paying attention, ran in to parked car" and had nothing to do with the autonomous nature of the vehicle.

The cabbie slapping the window? Gee, I wonder why he was annoyed.

uh huh. i'd believe it too, i mean every traffic incident these things get in to they're completely blameless, just ask the company reporting the incidents.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

uh huh. i'd believe it too, i mean every traffic incident these things get in to they're completely blameless, just ask the company reporting the incidents.

trying to make a left turn at 16th & valencia is a bad idea in general, if I'd heard that exact same thing happening to a non-robot car it would be unremarkable

qirex fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 7, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

trying to make a left turn at 16th & valencia is a bad idea in general

but bloo bloo I’m a hemorrhoid-bursting commuter in state of constipation and Waze said it was 3 minutes faster!! San Francisco is anticar

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

factually accurate onion headlines are the best, except for the ones written as farce that wind up being eerily prescient years later

quick reminder: the clinton administration wasn't particularly peaceful or prosperous if you were gay, haitian, on welfare, living in the balkans, or a white house intern

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i got a ticket turning left on 16th and mission because the cop car in front of me did it and I absent-mindedly followed thinking "oh nice, i need to turn left here to go south"

so he pulls me over and writes me the ticket and it was like $1200 and 6 points on my license or something insane, so i called some ticket lawyer dude, emailed in the ticket, copy of my license and a 2 paragraph description of what happened. 18 months and $900 later it got dismissed!

don't gently caress around with sf traffic laws

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i got a ticket turning left on 16th and mission because the cop car in front of me did it and I absent-mindedly followed thinking "oh nice, i need to turn left here to go south"

so he pulls me over and writes me the ticket and it was like $1200 and 6 points on my license or something insane, so i called some ticket lawyer dude, emailed in the ticket, copy of my license and a 2 paragraph description of what happened. 18 months and $900 later it got dismissed!

this is some virginia-rear end poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Beast of Bourbon posted:

honestly you must be the unluckiest loving guy ever. fwiw i have never seen cops in my city (berkeley) or SF ever do an traffic-enforcement (outside of meter-maids). well that's not quite true, there are cops at the carpool onramp at Bryant/3rd/harrison or traffic directing cops but that's because that area is a giant clusterfuck. I've even been in friends car where she accidentally ran a red infront of a cop parked nearby and he just shook his head

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Are you white

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i've never seen a traffic stop even in redwood city

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Actually sf is probably the only city in the entire union where a dwb charge wouldn't fly so idk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

Actually sf is probably the only city in the entire union where a dwb charge wouldn't fly so idk

i wish i had even your iota of optimism

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sapozhnik posted:

ehh, it's ish-y. sf cops are insanely racist; however, compared to rest of america where they every fiber of their body is screaming the n-word every millisecond and desperately getting that dopamine rush thinking about and want to immediately shoot anything that isnt rgb 255,255,255, they look more like pure saints.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

san francisco is one of the least-black cities in america -- 6.1% of the population in the last census.

why on earth would you imagine this would make it less hazardous?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
surprisingly, i am white.

the black guy in the back seat totally shut up and went into that chris rock mode in the seinfeld coffee thing. my white friend in the passenger seat was like "gently caress that cop, you didn't do poo poo, when he gets here i'm gonna loving scream at him, he ain't giving you no loving ticket."

i was all "please don't, i'm pretty sure i couldn't take a left on red back there, it will probably be a warning."

it was not, cop just asked for my ID and "if i was a police officer or city vehicle" and i said no and he just handed back a ticket. no conversation/questions other than that.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

ehh, it's ish-y. sf cops are insanely racist; however, compared to rest of america where they every fiber of their body is screaming the n-word every millisecond and desperately getting that dopamine rush thinking about and want to immediately shoot anything that isnt rgb 255,255,255, they look more like pure saints.

the nypd's demographics are very similar to the city itself. that is to say, the nypd officers corps is astonishingly diverse. and yet they still do crazy, racist things on the regular.

one might be led to think there is something wrong with the culture of police work in america, in general, not merely "bad apples" or individual officers' beliefs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

see also: toronto police service

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the nypd's demographics are very similar to the city itself. that is to say, the nypd officers corps is astonishingly diverse. and yet they still do crazy, racist things on the regular.

one might be led to think there is something wrong with the culture of police work in america, in general, not merely "bad apples" or individual officers' beliefs.

cops self select for the worst people regardless of demographics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

swr