Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

What is It? 2 ghosts and a bomber?

Lothal Rebel (35)
Collision Detector (0)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Lothal Rebel (35)
Collision Detector (0)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Crimson Squadron Pilot (25)
Accuracy Corrector (3)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think I'm taking that to Adepticon.

Any of you go to Wisconsin regional this weekend?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That sounds like a massive drag to fly against, but doesn't actually sounds that hard to beat with most lists. Focus fire on a Ghost, it'll die in a round or two, especially if you're bringing ordnance, and the Bomber is largely ignorable.

Why would you... just why?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
With three big bases jamming you up and that 5k, it's actually pretty hard to focus fire unless you're a turret, or wookies maybe.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Lothal Rebel (35)
Collision Detector (0)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Lothal Rebel (35)
Collision Detector (0)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Crimson Squadron Pilot (25)
Accuracy Corrector (3)

I've run this like 10 times now and every time I feel like the bomber is dead weight.

I'm pretty sure I want to replace it with a Rey/Tactician wookiee so at least it does damage. Or Fenn, to keep the ghosts alive. Or a M9/Weapons Engineer sheathipede to give the wookiees rerolls on blanks too. I dunno!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Took two Delta Squad Defenders and Inquisitor to the tournament today and was out on the first round since it was elimination. Made a rookie measuring mistake and self-bumped Inquisitor in front of a Rey/Finn. Was able to get Miranda on the Ion cannon one forward train but made another rookie mistake where I removed an ion token at the end of combat and realized it afterwards. My opponent obviously didn’t say anything because why not. After that it was an uphill battle.

Played a pickup game against a buddy for fun - lost that one but it was against two Lothal VCXs and Cpt Rex. One had Hera so he had about 7 stress on it and I was able to land a console Fire crit on it. If it was a tournament game I would have just ignored the ship and kept my distance but we were joking around anyway about how long it’d take for a console fire to kill a VCX at 7 health.

Overall it was fun to see everyone play - past few weeks I’ve been too busy to play but having almost 20 people in and talking shop was great. I think I’ll try to stay with Defenders and try out other combos. We also got some store templates made - I need to peel off the coating but I’ll snap photos of it - it looks awesome!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ringo Star Get posted:

Was able to get Miranda on the Ion cannon one forward train but made another rookie mistake where I removed an ion token at the end of combat and realized it afterwards. My opponent obviously didn’t say anything because why not.

Actually, that kinda sucks from your opponent and if you called over a judge they should back you up on that.
That isn't a missed opportunity with an optional thing. Removing the ion token is not an optional game effect, and you inadvertently created an illegal game state (which, depending on when it's noticed, is super easy to resolve)

The example I always like to give is if someone with Push the Limit performs an action, but then neglects to do a second action and moves on, that's a missed opportunity.
If someone performs a PTL action and forgets to put down a stress token, that doesn't mean they're not stressed, that just means that the token was forgotten. It's an inaccurate game state, and should be corrected

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Actually, that kinda sucks from your opponent and if you called over a judge they should back you up on that.
That isn't a missed opportunity with an optional thing. Removing the ion token is not an optional game effect, and you inadvertently created an illegal game state (which, depending on when it's noticed, is super easy to resolve)

The example I always like to give is if someone with Push the Limit performs an action, but then neglects to do a second action and moves on, that's a missed opportunity.
If someone performs a PTL action and forgets to put down a stress token, that doesn't mean they're not stressed, that just means that the token was forgotten. It's an inaccurate game state, and should be corrected

I'll have to remember that - it was something like I said didn't realize til afterwards. I've been trying to make sure I get conditions and actions down since now there's so many triggers and such in the game it's insane.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

I've run this like 10 times now and every time I feel like the bomber is dead weight.

I'm pretty sure I want to replace it with a Rey/Tactician wookiee so at least it does damage. Or Fenn, to keep the ghosts alive. Or a M9/Weapons Engineer sheathipede to give the wookiees rerolls on blanks too. I dunno!

The bomber is there for one thing and one thing alone. To die in a glorious fireball like it did in the movies. Run it in to cause the best block you can and then dial in the red stop. Any damage it does is a bonus. If you fly the 2 VCX right whatever is bumping is going to die. You want people to waste harpoons on it. Make it something they can't afford to ignore.

Do store championships kick off in may this year? Going to have 3 within a 50 min drive this year. Yessssssssssss

Raged fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 5, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

The bomber is there for one thing and one thing alone. To die in a glorious fireball like it did in the movies. Run it in to cause the best block you can and then dial in the red stop. Any damage it does is a bonus. If you fly the 2 VCX right whatever is bumping is going to die. You want people to waste harpoons on it. Make it something they can't afford to ignore.

Do store championships kick off in may this year? Going to have 3 within a 50 min drive this year. Yessssssssssss

But it's so slow and predictable. Everyone I've played who is even halfway good just goes around it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, a 2 die turret even with accuracy correctoor is fundamentally ignorable by most lists these days, because people are teched to beat TLTs.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

My crystal ball is telling me this is the next meta list:

Lok Revenant Scurrg H-6 Bomber
Crack Shot
Harpoon Missiles
Autoblaster Turret
Havoc
Long Range Scanners
Collision Detector
33 points

Crack Shot
Harpoon Missiles
Autoblaster Turret
Intelligence Agent
Long Range Scanners
34 points

A Score to Settle
Harpoon Missiles
Autoblaster Turret
Boba Fett
Long Range Scanners
33 points

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Be better with Deadeye I think. No targetting limitations, no Poe problems.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

thespaceinvader posted:

Be better with Deadeye I think. No targetting limitations, no Poe problems.

Disagree. Long Range Scanners lets you modify your attack dice with a focus when it comes time to actually shoot it against every enemy list, and Deadeye only protects against the Black One title (or the defunct Expert Handling). You're only going to take the target lock once, it's fine.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cobbsprite posted:

Disagree. Long Range Scanners lets you modify your attack dice with a focus when it comes time to actually shoot it against every enemy list, and Deadeye only protects against the Black One title (or the defunct Expert Handling). You're only going to take the target lock once, it's fine.

Taking a TL with LRS telegraphs your first target, which can then just avoid the joust and prevent you from stacking modifiers.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
LRS is still better than Deadeye with hotshot Fenn being much more common than poe. And the telegraphing can actually be a strategy to try and control the joust, or scare a ship off. It's fine.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

If you scare one of their ships out so they stay out of range, that breaking of the enemy team does a lot for you. Don't be afraid to gently caress them around.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

A local guy has been winning a regional and some other poo poo with the list. To me it basically looks like triple U-Boats 2.0. It has more health, 3 dice primary, better munitions, smaller base, no half point loss, long range scanners and a free ept slot. I really don't see any good counters to the list. Except maybe some Ion stuff.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

uncle blog posted:

I really don't see any good counters to the list. Except maybe some Ion stuff.

Incredible Bulk

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

uncle blog posted:

A local guy has been winning a regional and some other poo poo with the list. To me it basically looks like triple U-Boats 2.0. It has more health, 3 dice primary, better munitions, smaller base, no half point loss, long range scanners and a free ept slot. I really don't see any good counters to the list. Except maybe some Ion stuff.

Triple Loks were (briefly) a thing after they came out. It was never as good as U-Boats and it still isn't.

U-Boats had:
- Two torps due to extra munitions instead of one
-Better action economy after the first shot (and equivalent mods on the first)
-Large bases + barrel roll to cause bumps, which triple Loks can't match at all
-White sloops to get the second set of torps off, again no Lok counterpart
-Turret at all ranges compared to range 1 only for the Loks

Triple Loks is weak to all the same things as U-Boats, but only more so.
- Imperial Aces (flown by a good player) will never get shot by multiple harpoons and will never be in range 1 for the autoblaster.
-Super bulky lists just absorb the harpoons, assuming they don't manipulate who can be shot by them by manipulating who is in range with LRS.
-Many lists PS kill one of the Loks before it shoots

And a new one that wasn't around in the U-Boat days
-Countermeasures, Poe, and Fenn Rau heavily negate the damage this can do in a turn

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Triple loks is still a good list but I'd be pretty happy to take Ghost Fenn up against it, even with boba fett. I'd take initiative and jam up the loks then coordinate away. I'd say it's easier to win against than Quickdraw 3Nu.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I’ve faced triple Loks with two Glaive Defenders with TIE/D and ion cannons. Easy to get the Ion cannon hit, then primary shot was always a breeze. At best you’re getting 4 damage through and you’ve got them ion locked.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cobbsprite posted:

If you scare one of their ships out so they stay out of range, that breaking of the enemy team does a lot for you. Don't be afraid to gently caress them around.

Most enemy lists are happy to bring a flanker though.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

ARC-170 - 1
A-Wing - 3
Aggressor - 1
Attack Shuttle - 1
Auzituck Gunship - 1
B-Wing - 2
E-Wing - 1
Firespray-31 - 1
G-1A Starfighter - 1
GR-75 Medium Transport - 1
HWK-290 - 1
JumpMaster 5000 - 1
K-Wing - 1
Kihraxz Fighter - 2
Lancer-class Pursuit Craft - 1
M3-A Interceptor - 1
Quadjumper - 1
Scurrg H-6 Bomber - 1
StarViper - 2
T-70 X-Wing - 3
TIE Advanced - 1
TIE Advanced Prototype - 1
TIE Bomber - 1
TIE Defender - 1
TIE Fighter - 4
TIE Interceptor - 3
TIE Phantom - 1
TIE Punisher - 1
TIE Striker - 1
TIE/fo Fighter - 3
TIE/sf Fighter - 1
U-Wing - 1
Upsilon-class Shuttle - 1
VCX-100 - 1
X-Wing - 3
YT-1300 - 2
YT-2400 - 1
Y-Wing - 2
Z-95 Headhunter - 3

These are the ships I have. I've been feeling burnt out on the game and not... happy with how the meta is going, and just don't know what to fly. I feel like I kinda just suck at the game, but have no idea what I could fly that would help me improve instead of ingraining bad habits. Basically, you all are super intelligent and not poo poo at this game: What's a good fun list that makes you a better pilot that I could fly? No need to be SUPER META COMPETITIVE of course.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

In what context?

Best way to actually get better at flying is to play mid-PS ships that can actually tank and actually move, so you get some practice with where everything goes, and you have to actualy outguess your opponent, but you can live through a few shots if you get it wrong.

Enter Intensity (proxy it, you'll thank me) Snap Wexley with FLight Assist Astromech, Primed Thrusters, and either Autothrusters or Integrated Astromech at your discretion. ATs are better, IA is cheaper.

Hella fun to fly, has lots of tools to make your opponent's life more difficult, and with focus/evade/autos on defence, no slouch at actually surviving. Pair with a fat turret, Poe and a support ship, or any of half a dozen other things.

He's not tip top meta but he's honestly the most fun I've had playing X Wing in ages.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

A good list is a list that utilizes its upgrades efficiently and doesn’t have ships wasting point space and ability.

Now, you can fly a list really well with enough practice, but it depends on what the list can handle and what it has to do against lists it can’t handle.

Do you want to bomb the poo poo out of everything and set traps? NymMiranda. Want to be tanky and cover large arcs of fire? Wookie Gunship lists.

What I’ve learned from my meta is that you need to have dice mods. Your average dice roll on the attack with 3 dice is going to be a blank, eyeball and a hit. Do you have an upgrade that can change blanks or eyeballs? How about something that can reroll those blanks? How can the upgrade benefit you and not the enemy? How do you fly the ship?

Here’s an example, let’s say you like flying Defenders. Without a title they’re expensive, and while they have some good health, their dial is predictable and don’t have much in ways of dealing out hard hits. So get a Countess Ryad, Expertise, TIE x/7 title and then twin Ion engine upgrade. With Ryad you can do some great GREEN K-turns that if they’re fast, can get you an evade for defense, perform a focus action, and then when you attack with expertise, you have the ability to change your eyes to hits without spending the focus. On defense you have an evade, a focus, and three green dice at your disposal.

Recognize what ships need what to succeed. Have a plan for them. My favorite list is two TIE/D Defenders with ion cannons, snap shot and then as filler, a TIE Striker with adaptive ailerons and light weight frame. My goal with the Striker is run it fast as hell to the weakest ship across the board and keep it occupied while my Defenders ionize ships and use snap shot the next turn when the enemy ship does a 1-forward in front of them.

If you want to run ordinance, make sure you have ways to mod them, like having guidance chips, expertise, lone wolf, predator, etc. get an understanding for what the ordinance does and if it has any native mods with them. Concussion missiles give you 4 red dice and you can change a blank to a hit. Proton rockets are range one but you can use your focus to mod them and a target lock as well.

Honestly I can rant for hours. I’m not a great player but I study cards and ships and dials when I can. Your best bet is to pick a ship you like and do some research on what other players use with it or in a squad. I started out wanting to fly X-Wings and asked around during League what to do. Unfortunately at the time T65s weren’t so great but the T70s were out and had some success. So I tried those out and eventually started to branch out and try other ships or watch them at tables or on streams. Eventually I got the Imp Vets pack and some Defenders and got hooked on them.

So pick a ship or two you like looking at and post it here, I’m sure lots of people will chime in to give thoughts on a good fun list.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

In what context?

Best way to actually get better at flying is to play mid-PS ships that can actually tank and actually move, so you get some practice with where everything goes, and you have to actualy outguess your opponent, but you can live through a few shots if you get it wrong.

Enter Intensity (proxy it, you'll thank me) Snap Wexley with FLight Assist Astromech, Primed Thrusters, and either Autothrusters or Integrated Astromech at your discretion. ATs are better, IA is cheaper.

Hella fun to fly, has lots of tools to make your opponent's life more difficult, and with focus/evade/autos on defence, no slouch at actually surviving. Pair with a fat turret, Poe and a support ship, or any of half a dozen other things.

He's not tip top meta but he's honestly the most fun I've had playing X Wing in ages.

Hm, what would you reccomend as partners with him? My biggest issue is I just have no idea how to make lists worth a drat. :\ And the context is semi-casual FLGS gamenights and some Vassal/TTS play. Nothing super comp but don't wanna be a curbstomp party for anyone playing semi-serious.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The more ships you fly the faster you improve. Also the better you'll go against a Ghost. Rebels are the most forgiving in this way, you just have to remember your triggers.

Here's some that are fun lists that rely in good positioning:

TIE Fighter: •Captain Rex (14)
A-Wing: Green Squadron Pilot (21)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Snap shot (2)
Juke (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
A-Wing: Green Squadron Pilot (21)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Snap shot (2)
Juke (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Y-Wing: Gold Squadron Pilot (23)
BTL-A4 Y-wing (0)
Dorsal Turret (3)
•R3-A2 (2)
Sheathipede-class Shuttle: •AP-5 (21)
•Phantom II (0)
Weapons Engineer (3)
•M9-G8 (3)
Total: 100/100

The sheathipede locks the two a wings, which gives them mods on their snapshots. They should also be evading if they're not boosting to block. The other three ships stay in a rough formation. The Y wing is your answer to Aces so try the keep aces guess with the A wings so they can't focus it down. This list dominates through sheer firepower, if you can get your a wings shooting at range 1. Proxy the sheathipede with the attack shuttle and an ARC base, and captain Rex with a tie fighter.

Revenge Chewie.

YT-1300: •Chewbacca (HotR) (51)
•Millennium Falcon (1)
Predator (3)
•Rey (2)
•C-3PO (3)
Z-95 Headhunter: Tala Squadron Pilot (17)
Guidance Chips (0)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Z-95 Headhunter: Tala Squadron Pilot (14)
Guidance Chips (0)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)

Fun list, try to to bank as many focus on Rey at start of game, then jam Chewie in their face and swoop the Zs in behind. Chewies attacks are potent, especially when he's attacking multiple times. There's a number of variations of the list. You could put Prockets/cruise on all of them, use swap out a tala for the PS1 sheathipede and M9G8 droid and put Expertise on Chewie. I think this one is a good start for semicasual. Chewie's multiple attacks just wreck.

Total: 100/100

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Thanks! I really need to get a sheathipede. Ships too dang good!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Pair Snap with Norra, for "Bring Your Son to Work Day."

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Pair Snap with Norra, for "Bring Your Son to Work Day."

Vader and Kylo. "Take Your Dead Grandfather's Helmet To Work Day."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cobbsprite posted:

Vader and Kylo. "Take Your Dead Grandfather's Helmet To Work Day."

Vader, Kylo and Rebel Captive (Han) for "Awkward Family Outing".

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

hoiyes posted:

Revenge Chewie.

YT-1300: •Chewbacca (HotR) (51)
•Millennium Falcon (1)
Predator (3)
•Rey (2)
•C-3PO (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Z-95 Headhunter: Tala Squadron Pilot (14)
Guidance Chips (0)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)

Fun list, try to to bank as many focus on Rey at start of game, then jam Chewie in their face and swoop the Zs in behind. Chewies attacks are potent, especially when he's attacking multiple times. There's a number of variations of the list. You could put Prockets/cruise on all of them, use swap out a tala for the PS1 sheathipede and M9G8 droid and put Expertise on Chewie. I think this one is a good start for semicasual. Chewie's multiple attacks just wreck.

I like this list, but how do you stop people from just focusing on Chewie and ignoring the Z's? Once they get their harps off, they're not super threatening.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If they ignore the Zs it means you get off three harpoons, plus whatever damage Chewie is doing. And he's tanky, so he's unlikely to die quick enough if they focus on him.

It's not a bad list.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Vader, Kylo and Rebel Captive (Han) for "Awkward Family Outing".

Kylo Ren (34)
Determination (1)
Reinforced Deflectors (3)
Rebel Captive (3)
Darth Vader (3)
Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1)
Sensor Cluster (2)
Hull Upgrade (3)
Kylo Ren's Shuttle (2)

Zeta Specialist (23)
Collision Detector (0)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Special Ops Training (0)

Zeta Specialist (23)
Collision Detector (0)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Special Ops Training (0)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm really trying to figure out competitive list with Scum Fenn Rau in it. I have this that a played around with about 4 months ago that I think has a chance against Fenn/Ghost and might have chance against palp aces. Anyone have anything better with my dear old friend Fenn in it?

Fenn Rau (28)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)

Thweek (28)
Fire-Control System (2)
Autothrusters (2)
StarViper Mk. II (-3)
Virago (1)

Dalan Oberos (Kimogila) (25)
Expertise (4)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
Enforcer (1)

Total: 99

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

If they ignore the Zs it means you get off three harpoons, plus whatever damage Chewie is doing. And he's tanky, so he's unlikely to die quick enough if they focus on him.

It's not a bad list.

Yeah, that's the Papa Foss special. I have played him and you can't ignore the Z-95's or you are going to die. Best you can do it try to call the engagement so that Chewie is out of range of your ships when you start knocking them down. Dengar/Assaj worked really well.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Raged posted:

I'm really trying to figure out competitive list with Scum Fenn Rau in it. I have this that a played around with about 4 months ago that I think has a chance against Fenn/Ghost and might have chance against palp aces. Anyone have anything better with my dear old friend Fenn in it?

Fenn Rau (28)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)

Thweek (28)
Fire-Control System (2)
Autothrusters (2)
StarViper Mk. II (-3)
Virago (1)

Dalan Oberos (Kimogila) (25)
Expertise (4)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
Enforcer (1)

Total: 99

Fenn gets wrecked by maul/ezra boosted TLTs. Esp with his rebel self hotshotting off his focus and the R3-A2 version double stressing him.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Like 70% of all ships get utterly wrecked by the ghost. If you're playing competitive, you're either playing that, or playing what beats it (which is a hefty dose of Expertise or a list with 4+ chunky ships).

It's honestly the most meta-warping list I've seen to date.

If someone wants to play something else, they simply accept they'll probably lose to any Fenn/Ghost list they see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

It's honestly the most meta-warping list I've seen to date.

How quickly you forget the TIE Phantom of yore.

• Locked thread