Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So what perks are people considering a priority, especially with the Executive perk down to a 50% duration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So what perks are people considering a priority, especially with the Executive perk down to a 50% duration?

Engimatic Engineering is basically a must.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It is 2225 and I have 53 Unity income. I am feeling pretty good about that.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Shadowlyger posted:

In my last game I got all three megastructures up and there was still a huge, three empire federation opposing me.

Quick tip for building megastructures: Open your sector menu and check their resource levels, if your sectors haven't been building anything lately then they can have some very large stockpiles.

Also while I'm here, a bug report: Apparently you can't crack Tomb Worlds and must terraform them into something else before you can blow them up.

vOv maybe I'm just winning too quickly. My new game is tomb world roaches Fanatic Xenophobe Militarists, I guess the lack of any allies will slow down my progress somewhat, so maybe I'll actually hit a point where the megastructure costs make any kind of sense.

I'm sticking by what I said about two useless levels of dyson sphere though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pylons posted:

Engimatic Engineering is basically a must.

Why? Because of the sensor bonus?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why? Because of the sensor bonus?

Yep. That, plus a listening post on a border starbase, and you can see quite a ways into enemy territory.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It is 2225 and I have 53 Unity income. I am feeling pretty good about that.
Now its 2233 and I have 81 108 :vince:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 7, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The sensor boost from Enigmatic Engineering is such an amazing quality-of-life upgrade. It's also a huge defensive boost, as you can often see stuff coming towards you with more than enough time to react.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

God dammnit can I really still not uplift as a Rogue Servitor c'mon :colbert: Pampering is mandatory.

The wiki seems to be unclear on this. Maybe I can? It requires Genome Mapping and I've seen that as a research option, so maybe.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I got a lifeseeded inward perfection ai empire! I was really surpised.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That's a fallen empire to the north and marauders to the south. You'll notice no green planets either (I had a normal ocean homeworld). I assume the .75X hyperlane density confused the algo and my freebie worlds are northwest by my cap but so impossibly far to get to...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

That's a fallen empire to the north and marauders to the south. You'll notice no green planets either (I had a normal ocean homeworld). I assume the .75X hyperlane density confused the algo and my freebie worlds are northwest by my cap but so impossibly far to get to...

0.75 seems to produce very compelling maps and utter disaster maps in equal proportions

spirals are maybe more sensible on 0.75 than ellipticals though

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Time to research wormhole tech ASAP.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah I just found a system with a wormhole AND an abandoned gateway. Never seen them spawn together like that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know how I get this to change to green?

The pictured planet is a Gaia world but I dont see an option anywhere to declare it "Hallowed".

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The pictured planet is a Gaia world but I dont see an option anywhere to declare it "Hallowed".

It's an edict.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I really like the idea of the Philosopher King civic, but I wish it did more. Ruler skill level just isn't that impactful at the moment. Maybe make the civic cause ruler skill level to effect more things? Make it a civic for pacifist autocracies? :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Space Skeleton posted:

It's an edict.
Aha! Thank you!

It costs 240 for me, yuck. Dunno if it is worth it...

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Aha! Thank you!

It costs 240 for me, yuck. Dunno if it is worth it...

It's +15% Unity and it lasts forever, as long as you don't settle the world.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Man, the impact of claims on diplomacy continues to be a huge mess. It looks like you're also politically accountable for claims regarding your vassals, so subjugating someone who's been on your neighbor's poo poo list might also tank your relationship with them because they think they own a big piece of that territory - guess I should have invited their useless asses into that war or something. Compounded with the fact that claim overlapping makes people hate you forever and there is no way at all to remove claims, peacefully or otherwise and it gets ugly real fast.

Quick and dirty suggestions:

1.) Vassalized nations have no political autonomy, so they should lose all outstanding claims upon subjugation and be unable to make new claims until they win their independence. Being accountable for claims held against them makes a degree of sense, since they are effectively an extension of your dominion, but the AI should at least be more cognizant of the fact that loving with their pissant neighbor is actually loving with the giant warmongering empire that owns them and hey maybe there's a reason they don't have any fleets all of a sudden. Maybe some kind of diminished relationship hits for what are effectively second-degree border squabbles so you don't accidentally tank a relationship forever by conquering someone.

2.) Tributaries (and, to a lesser extent, Feudal Vassals) are independent nations, so they should be able to function normally with regard to nations that aren't you or your vassals. You also shouldn't be held politically accountable for their interactions with third parties, since my understanding is that declaring war on them is not declaring war on you.

3.) Under no goddamn circumstances should my subjects be able to make claims against me after I've conquered them and then get mad about it forever.

PS Please god give us a way to pay off claims or otherwise settle them diplomatically.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It also really pleases the spiritual fallen if you do it on one of their holy worlds. like a lot.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

AtomikKrab posted:

It also really pleases the spiritual fallen if you do it on one of their holy worlds. like a lot.

not sure if this is a trap or not :ohdear:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

TomViolence posted:

what game is this again??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TomViolence posted:

It’s like +100 relationship, they really love it.

This is not to be confused with what happens when you destroy a holy world... they not only declare war on you but they loving awaken and declare war on you

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magil Zeal posted:

It's +15% Unity and it lasts forever, as long as you don't settle the world.
I found that out by taking a dive and clicking it. Its great. Thank you.

AtomikKrab posted:

I discovered this, too. I'm hemmed in pretty badly but I have two wormholes and just got the Wormhole travel tech so maybe I'll be able to expand through the wormholes sometime soon....

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Jazerus posted:

0.75 seems to produce very compelling maps and utter disaster maps in equal proportions

spirals are maybe more sensible on 0.75 than ellipticals though

I had to abandon ship on a 0.75 game because basically I was trapped, with my North end being held by a militarist empire, my south end being held by mercenaries and my east end being held by powerful aliens and a stellarite devourer :smith:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So, what would you guys say is the ideal galaxy size to play in? I know the game defaults to large, but I feel like the dates are ticking by slower than they did in 1.9... I guess it could be that I’m playing more attention to them, though.

I've played on some medium, large and modded-in ludicrous maps, but my all-time favourite are huge galaxies. There's just something just right about having exactly 1000 stars to work with

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I would love to play huge galaxies if I had a better machine. As it is, I top out on large. I like the feeling that the other side of the galaxy is a genuinely remote place.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

So I spent yesterday turtling up, fortifying choke points and planning for the Khan, who completely demolished everything I’d built last game. Then I realised, I have about 30k fleet power and can rebuilt corvette swarms in a few minutes - why don’t I cut them off at the source?

A couple of years later and all the marauders on the whole map are dead, and suddenly I have very experienced fleets positioned in critical points around the galaxy. Hmm I think - now that we’ve got them, may as well use them - so suddenly I’m assimilating everything that isn’t a robot already and winning a me v 6 empires war to wipe out all independent thought in the galaxy.

10/10 good game great patch

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Mountaineer posted:

The new Divine Sovereign event either doesn't work as advertised, or it just doesn't play nicely with permanent civics like Fanatic Purifier.

Before:

Note that it says my civics will be altered:

After, and I still have the same civics:

But it did reduce my Fanatic Xenophobe ethic to regular Xenophobe, and added Authoritarian, so my Fanatic Purifier civic was deactivated:

Man, this reminds me of the time my civ's leader became an immortal psychic God-Emperor. It didn't change the civics then, either, so a few years later my fair and democratic people voted him out of office and voted in a guy on the platform of reinstituting slavery.

The God-Emperor then wholly disappeared, never to be seen in my empire again. And frankly, I can't blame him.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

You can lose your original population as a Xenophobe. When you do so, if you have any other races (Such as slave races), you won't be able to set those races as 'full citizenship'. Instead, they'll forever remain residences, castes, or slaves, despite no one enslaving them.

Interestingly enough, I still get my original races as leader, despite not having any in my entire empire.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

TalonDemonKing posted:

You can lose your original population as a Xenophobe. When you do so, if you have any other races (Such as slave races), you won't be able to set those races as 'full citizenship'. Instead, they'll forever remain residences, castes, or slaves, despite no one enslaving them.

Interestingly enough, I still get my original races as leader, despite not having any in my entire empire.

One imagines a tiny remnant of a race, trapped in the Imperial Palace, desperately trying to convince their slaves that they're still in charge.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
A pop represents like a billion people, so it's easy enough to imagine a significant ruling class minority existing, even if its not big enough to field armies or run a farm.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don't think I fully understand the new war system. I was bringing the fanatic purifiers to their knees when suddenly the war was over. I was two planets away from completely neutralizing them from the galaxy. Did war exhaustion cause this?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Since 2.0 with the beta patch I've been able to have my most successful game yet. I have a fleet of 200k (spread over 3), I've defeated an Awakened Empire, I'm beating up the Prethoryn and I've even managed to get the +1000 minerals a month achievement. That said it's the same game where the Awakened Empire has just spread to their nearby borders and not actually DONE anything.
I've decided I want to see if I can win - how much of the Galaxy has to be part of my federation? I think we're at 500 stars out of 1000, does it need to be 700?

Also I swear that Jump Drives used to require you to right click when you chose to activate them. Now it's left clicking. I thought it was broken!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Importantly, winning isn't about stars, but planets, which you have to have colonised or conquered. As it's a proportion of total colonies - including habitats - you can also win by spamming habitats until you reach the threshold.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

The "Conformist" species trait affects my pops only, so that means that with that trait they are less likely to deviate to having other Ethics choices from the Ethics Wheel, right? Is it worth taking?

I can't speak to the usefulness of Conformist, but I can say that everyone should force an AI empire with "Deviant" to spawn in every game they play. It's hilarious, they end up with a revolving door government that's hypersensitive to what they're doing at the moment. I had one transition step by step from a Totalitarian Regime to democratic crusaders by the end of the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh these mandates are going to kill me. How can I fulfil build orbital research if everywhere is built up already? You cant demolish stations either that just puts your numbers in the negative.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Tomn posted:

I can't speak to the usefulness of Conformist, but I can say that everyone should force an AI empire with "Deviant" to spawn in every game they play. It's hilarious, they end up with a revolving door government that's hypersensitive to what they're doing at the moment. I had one transition step by step from a Totalitarian Regime to democratic crusaders by the end of the game.

It's been a while since I've had to manage ethics attraction, but I remember a few versions ago it would nudge one of your pops like every 100 years or something, which was complete sillyness. I had like mind control lasers and secret police and everything and my dudes just wouldn't get on the wagon. I can say from my most recent game that it seems like AI empires change their ethics a lot more readily now. I had a bunch of empires I had migration treaties with become gradually more pacifist and xenophile as my dudes migrated over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Molluscoid ships and stations are the prettiest.

Discuss.