Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

We can't wait until you find your first +1 longsword to see what it can do! is possibly the saddest, most D&D-as-Cargo-Cult line I've ever read from Paizo.

Yeah that stood out as being a really weird thing to say. As someone who doesn't own any books, it seems from looking at the product line that this was pretty necessary, and I'm excited to see what they come up with. I personally think Golarion's more interesting than Forgotten Realms after it's been chopped up and put back together multiple times (even if it's very obviously imitation Forgotten Realms to start with), so getting an opportunity to hop in on the ground floor next year with what's hopefully a new and improved ruleset sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
If I can't play my favorite Delta Green campaign with Blades in the Dark, then what's even the point of buying elfgames?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Sinteres posted:

Yeah that stood out as being a really weird thing to say.

Like, at least say Flaming Longsword or something.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

dwarf74 posted:

Ettin please reopen grogstxt

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm sympathetic to worrying that a game line is "dead", because it absolutely does become harder to push for games and find players for a game that isn't actively supported.

On the other hand, "active support" is reserved only for the relative megabucks earners of this hobby which are uniformly not great, so whatever. Plus most of these people will probably be jumping on the new train in a year or two no matter what they say now.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I mean, I'm pretty sure that the +1 Longsword comment is more a comment that they're intending to move more towards magic items with effects rather than magic items that just give plus bonuses

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure that the +1 Longsword comment is more a comment that they're intending to move more towards magic items with effects rather than magic items that just give plus bonuses

Probably, it's just weird for the literal meaning to be the exact opposite of that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sinteres posted:

a new and improved ruleset sounds great.

You realize they promised backwards compatibility right

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

So Paizo just announced Pathfinder 2.0.

Let's see if they get the same backlash they created towards WotC for this one.

Edit: At least some portion of their fanbase seems very worried about whether their unplayed hoard of 3.51 D&D materials will be compatible with 3.52.
"We are holding you to this. I personally choose Paizo over WotC because 3.0/3.5 wasn't compatible with 4th ... and 5th wasn't compatible with either. Don't be like WotC!!"
"All those books I have will be pointless with another new combat system, another magic system, another over engineered, over thought, over fan serviced system. Thanks, another few hundred dollars down the drain."
"Great... now all the stuff I already have is obsolete."

Oh God yes slam this poo poo into myveins

hhhnnnngggghhhgghh

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

senrath posted:

I still don't understand why it's hard for people to understand that an edition change doesn't mean your old books suddenly cease to exist.

Pathfinder actively fanned the flames of that idea to create their fanbase in the first place.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I wonder if this push for new different Pathfinder is going to mean abandoning Starfinder.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I wonder if this push for new different Pathfinder is going to mean abandoning Starfinder.

They're increasing the number of releases for Starfinder, so as long as it sells they'll keep putting it out. It won't be the new hotness anymore, so if sales dip I could see them backing away faster than they would otherwise, but that's not the way things are headed at the moment at least.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It doesn’t sound like there’s much similarity between this and starfinger, which is a wasted opportunity for experimenting and prototyping

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
let the games begin

quote:

Where does, "You were hit. You were definitely hit. You are suffering physical injury, and you will not be sleeping this off overnight. If you want to heal faster, use magic." fit into the core principles of Pathfinder?

Because I've always seen that as the cornerstone of a world that at least tries to make some sort of sense. It really is the dividing line between suspendable disbelief and simply not caring at all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

As we all know, a sufficiently skilled soldier can survive 300 blows with a sword.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
You can fight and climb and seduce perfectly well with a perforated colon and a severe concussion, but you need magic for it to get better - which doesn't actually help you in any way except by making you not die the next time you get hit. This is perfectly sensible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't that never ever even a thing from D&D's earliest days?

Like, ST GYGAX HIMSELF acknowledged it as an abstraction?

Anyway I hope PF2 is good, it'd be nice to have a good game I don't need to sell everybody on first.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Dude I will loving lose it if PF 2e includes damage on a miss.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

dwarf74 posted:

Dude I will loving lose it if PF 2e includes damage on a miss.

plot twist: PF 2e will be continue the PF tradition by being a slightly modified version of D&D 4e

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

I supported Paizo when we left 3.5 because I wanted at least a solid support channel. Too bad really. They won't get a cent from me anymore.

It's a terrible move. But at least they will leave pathfinder 1e in tact mostly before destroying it for money. Grass ain't greener.

e:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

plot twist: PF 2e will be continue the PF tradition by being a slightly modified version of D&D 4e
don't toy with my emotions like that

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I am deep in the schadenfreude now. It sustains me.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

moths posted:

Wasn't that never ever even a thing from D&D's earliest days?

Like, ST GYGAX HIMSELF acknowledged it as an abstraction?

Anyway I hope PF2 is good, it'd be nice to have a good game I don't need to sell everybody on first.

Yeah HP was always an abstraction.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

I think we'll see pretty quickly when they release the playtest material if the conversion rules that they give us are robust and allow for back and forth play that will tell you just how much they care about the first edition loyalty.

If it's half as bad as it was for 3.5 to 4th edition that's your answer as to whether or not they will ever give a crap about your dedication.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I hope Paizo takes this time to make an innovative, balanced, streamlined game that is fun and engaging for everyone to play.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nuns with Guns posted:

I hope Paizo takes this time to make an innovative, balanced, streamlined game that is fun and engaging for everyone to play.
Uh I bolded the big issue here.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Why don't more people write rants about how hit points are almost entirely morale, fatigue, and luck, and therefore a spell that heals wounds shouldn't be able to restore anything but the last 5 or so (and negative ones); curing serious wounds shouldn't do anything to a fighter who is at 50 of 100 hp because he hasn't taken a scratch yet and would receive more benefit from, I don't know, an inspiring speech or something...

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Oh god, and this is just the beginning too, we're going to have five months of sweet sweet grog tears just in the hype leading up to the playtest. Maybe we need a babysitter for this thread, to make sure no one ODs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thranguy posted:

Why don't more people write rants about how hit points are almost entirely morale, fatigue, and luck, and therefore a spell that heals wounds shouldn't be able to restore anything but the last 5 or so (and negative ones); curing serious wounds shouldn't do anything to a fighter who is at 50 of 100 hp because he hasn't taken a scratch yet and would receive more benefit from, I don't know, an inspiring speech or something...

Hit points don't make sense in any fashion and never have, so someone who understands they're an abstraction doesn't need to wonder why healing spells are also an abstraction.

Oh wait, was that a rhetorical question? :thejoke:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Thranguy posted:

Sit down and let grampa tell you about a magical land called '2013'....

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

Uh I bolded the big issue here.

I will maintain hope that the game is well-designed and artfully executed until the playtest book is leaked and it turns out they just repackaged Pugmire or some unholy crossbreed of 5e and Starfinder.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Think it'll have a Warlord?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

slap me and kiss me posted:

Doubt it. One of the big points on the playtest website is the Alchemist being added to the Core Rulebook (it is a very popular class), so I don't think we'll see much else added to the Core Rulebook. Paizo has done a lot of Warlord-ish stuff though so we could see something in a supplement down the road.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

slap me and kiss me posted:

PF1* never even had the Marshal. The Warlord would be completely out of the question.

_______

* how grand that I am writing that acronym now

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Hit points don't make sense in any fashion and never have, so someone who understands they're an abstraction doesn't need to wonder why healing spells are also an abstraction.

Oh wait, was that a rhetorical question? :thejoke:

I seem to recall hit points were invented for naval simulation war games, where they represented large ships getting hit with cannonballs. A big boat could remain quite capable of combat under sustained punishment until it finally capsized. When the rules were adapted for leisure instead of training, they ported the mechanics over without caring much about realism, down through Chainmail's more expensive ancestors and into video games.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
This calls for the return of grogs.txt. Even just for a limited engagement, get-it-while-it's-hot thread.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

inklesspen posted:

Do we know anything more about this?

Not any risk of me drowning out the Pathfinder 2 glee, right? Good.

Couple of quotes from Kevin Kulp recently:

quote:

Ha! It's more like Conan the Barbarian with a big sword in one hand and a thief's throat in the other, shaking the thief violently until he desperately spills the passwords to the secret entrance of the assassin's guild down in the Tangle, so that Conan can go have a very.. important.. talk with a woman who earlier poisoned Conan's drink. Blood will be shed. And if Conan manages to acquire the antidote, he's going to want to track down the sonsofbitches who ordered the assassination in the first place. There's a complicated plan going on that needs Conan dead, apparently, and someone very rich is going to be very disappointed when they find out the barbarian doesn't plan to do his part.

Maybe he'll even shove a deerstalker hat and a magnifying glass down the corrupt noble's throat before he claims his vengeance. He'll just need to dodge the City Watch long enough to carry it off.

quote:

To be serious, this initial perception [Conan with a sword and a deerstalker hat] is the biggest hurdle a fantasy GUMSHOE game will have. While you can play as City Watch or Church inquisitors, there's no need to; like NBA, investigation pushes the action and isn't normally the prime focus. Deerstalker caps not required! I'd much rather my ne'er-do-well Outlander thief be running across rooftops while fleeing from the minions of a demon-possessed noble, than sorting through paperwork or looking at blood spatters.

February 1st, from Pelgrane:

quote:

Kevin Kulp and Emily Dresners’s GUMSHOE game of cities, secrets, and sorcery has now hit 150000 words, and is being polished ready for external playtesting. Kevin has run it himself for more than 100 playtesters. When designers run their game, it helps them hone their design fixing weaknesses and flaws, but it’s very hard to know if the text does the job of transmitting the game they want the players to experience without sending it out for external playtesting. Playtesting also shows flaws in the design, gives us an idea of the market for the game, but making sure people are playing the game we intended is pretty high on the list.

I am pretty excited. Further discussion maybe to the GUMSHOE thread I dunno.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

I seem to recall hit points were invented for naval simulation war games, where they represented large ships getting hit with cannonballs. A big boat could remain quite capable of combat under sustained punishment until it finally capsized. When the rules were adapted for leisure instead of training, they ported the mechanics over without caring much about realism, down through Chainmail's more expensive ancestors and into video games.

I couldn't tell the precise pedigree, but this also applies to miniatures wargaming: you have a stand of six footmen miniatures, and you roll d6 to attack, and any 6's are considered "hits", and a "hit" removes a single miniature from the formation.

OD&D called it "accumulative hits", which meant that a single character could take more than one "hit". It didn't get translated into "hit points" until some time later when people figured that that was a better way to describe the relationship between "hits" and damage.

Thanlis posted:

Not any risk of me drowning out the Pathfinder 2 glee, right? Good.

Couple of quotes from Kevin Kulp recently:

February 1st, from Pelgrane:

I am pretty excited. Further discussion maybe to the GUMSHOE thread I dunno.

Thanks for this! I am extremely excited about it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

Litmus test: are player characters, nonplayer characters, and monsters built the same way?

Litmus test 2: OGL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Far too much of my personal RAM is readying a constant loop of edition wars, D&D vs PbtA. A new versionof pathfinder for people to obsess over is like that demon being taken for me and put into a swarm of pigs.