Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

GobiasIndustries posted:

My parents are going to be buying a new TV and most likely at some point in the near future a sound bar. I've convinced my dad not to because they have a very nice new-ish receiver (2 years ago) and speaker set but my mom hates the subwoofer so she'll eventually win :sigh:. Anyway, how do they hook up to TVs? They have a cable box and bluray player currently connected to the receiver, I'm assuming I'd connect those directly to the TV and then the TV would output via optical or something to the bar?

Yeah, mine used either optical or HDMI. I think it only worked over HDMI on the ARC port though.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KingKapalone posted:

Is the Denon AVR-X2300W 7.2 receiver posted on the last page the thread go-to for one around that price? I have one of the thread go-tos circa 2008 in the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K, but I'm thinking about getting an LG OLED C7P so I probably need a new receiver for 4K and Atmos, right? I have a 7.1 setup and a Windows HTPC with Kodi on it.

Bumping this since I have the same question. X2300? Denon 730? Anything else?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The current models are the xx400 series and the x8500 was just announced so the 300 series is a bit long in the tooth.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm mainly just trying to figure out how to get the most (re: function, not necessarily $$$$ quality) out of my new C7P and the 4k / hdr it brings. The added benefit of Atmos is something I'd also like to take advantage of using my 7.1 system.

A new receiver seems like the logical addition. Seeing that the receivers around $400 do Atmos but only in a 5.X.X configuration slightly through me for a loop. I guess I don't know enough about the positioning for Atmos since I don't have ceiling speakers or a second sub. Is the addition of ceiling speakers the only real innovation?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The big innovation with Atmos is audio objects. They specify a direction, height, and panning information. You can thus take an Atmos stream and mix it across arbitrary numbers of speakers.

For home use, yeah, the big innovation is height -- either via ceiling speakers or reflecting speakers. I don't think you'd get a ton out of it without them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

The current models are the xx400 series and the x8500 was just announced so the 300 series is a bit long in the tooth.

Thanks. If my budget is ~$500 (should it be higher?), is one of the Denons my best bet? It seems like Pioneer/Onkyo/Yamaha/Denon all make receivers at that price point. Any reason to go with one over another?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Disclaimer: I ended up buying a stereo receiver because of how frustrated I was shopping for them.

Most receivers in the same price range will sound roughly similar, especially at non-crazy-person volumes. Normally I'd just say go with the one you like the remote and interface on the best but with 4k/HDR/HDCP2.2 a lot of receiver companies got caught a little flat footed and a lot of 2016 models can be pretty flaky with 4k/HDR content or only have limited full bandwidth inputs. A few 2017 models as well but they're not as common. In my opinion the best values are buying refurb. The basic fact is that audio companies are bad at software and receivers are becoming computers with amps attached so we're not in a great place.

I hope the HDMI 2.1 rollout isn't this stupid.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
What is the recommended stereo speakers in the $300 range? Will be using with a vintage Pioneer receiver.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

qirex posted:

I hope the HDMI 2.1 rollout isn't this stupid.

Oh you wish. VRR over HDMI 2.1 especially is going to be a fun clusterfuck of half-assery.

Same reason why I'm not an early adopter for any new standard. I like where HDR is going but I will only buy in when it becomes mainstream.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Unknownmass posted:

What is the recommended stereo speakers in the $300 range? Will be using with a vintage Pioneer receiver.

Used? I feel like a vintage receiver deserves a vintage speaker. There's a lot of good Technics out there. But there's also a lot of lovely ones so do some research. I have SB-x10's in my garage and they do the trick. SB-x5 's are pretty neat too.
I don't know if you like horns but you might be able to fins a deal on some vintage Klipsch which can be pretty awesome.
I bought a pair of Vandersteen 2CE sig II for $280 once but that was an insane deal.
Otherwise would be to get a good DIY kit. I'd recommend one but I have no idea what you're looking for other than "<$300" You want bookshelves, floorstanders, party speakers, desktop speakers? How big is your space? What's the room shape? Do you have budget for sound treatments? A pair of $100 used speakers and 2x that in room treatments can sound a lot better than most $300 new speakers.
Penultimate would of course be to find some good condition Pioneer HPM -something or others.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Unknownmass posted:

See if you can find a set of used JBL monitors. I had a set of 4410s for a while, and those things absolutely rocked, very efficient too.

20kg each of beefy walnut cabinets, 10" woofers. "Bookshelf speakers", apparently :v:

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Thank you for the help. I am open to vintage or new speakers. I am in a pretty small apt right now, so I should go with bookshelf or smaller floor speakers. Space is small and oddly shaped, can not do much sounds treatment right now. I would like to stay under 300 as these won't be long term speakers, just for use now.

Something like this be decent? https://boulder.craigslist.org/ele/d/2-polk-audio-tsi300/6504132020.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Unknownmass posted:

I am in a pretty small apt right now,

I would go with some bookshelf speakers in that case. Unless you you have super cool neighbors... In that case I'd say, "gently caress it. go hog wild."
I like Kozmo's idea of getting some 4410's though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I still regret selling those drat things. Yes, they were way too big for my apartment, and I got way too good a price for them. But they were also amazing for rock'n'roll, very nice big round pleasant sound. Not as over-the-top as the consumer JBLs (they are studio monitors, after all), but still really fun.

E: there's a set for sale near me, for $660 :(

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 21, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There are some vintage pioneer speakers listed there if you keep scrolling. They’re not bookshelves, though. https://boulder.craigslist.org/ele/d/pioneer-speakers-cs-g203/6503801815.html

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Unknownmass posted:

Some ideas if you don't want to buy used:
Polk S15/S20 [the S20 are pretty large]
Kef Q100
JBL Studio 230
Chane A1.4
Aperion Intimus 5B
Hsu HB-1
Canton GLE 426 [accessories4less.com]

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BigFactory posted:

There are some vintage pioneer speakers listed there if you keep scrolling. They’re not bookshelves, though. https://boulder.craigslist.org/ele/d/pioneer-speakers-cs-g203/6503801815.html

For $75 I say he buys them! It's easier to ask your neighbors for forgiveness rather than permission.

OH gently caress. THESE. GET THESE!
https://boulder.craigslist.org/ele/d/jbl-100-vintage-speakers/6499377393.html

These are also a fantastic deal and would be totally appropriate for your receiver and apartment size.
https://boulder.craigslist.org/ele/d/kef-c55-excellent-125/6484649644.html

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 21, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The JBLs are way better speakers but also more than double his budget. And overpriced at that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

They're special little feet that isolate your sub from the floor/room. By minimizing resonation with other stuff, it helps to both tighten the bass response and prevent you from pissing off your neighbors when you crank it up. I liked these so much I ended up buying a new subwoofer that would be compatible with them.

What surface do you have them on? Mine just sit on carpet (which is over concrete) so I've assumed there's not much point in bothering with any of that sort of stuff.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

veiled boner fuel posted:

What surface do you have them on? Mine just sit on carpet (which is over concrete) so I've assumed there's not much point in bothering with any of that sort of stuff.

My understanding is that on a concrete floor the benefits of putting isolating material beneath your sub are little to none. I would assume you'd be better off treating the walls and corners if you were looking for something to improve.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

qirex posted:

Disclaimer: I ended up buying a stereo receiver because of how frustrated I was shopping for them.

Oh my God I have been looking for something like this for years. I mean, not looking all that hard but I agree the multichannel audio landscape is retarded and the receiver manufacturers are terrible. Are you happy with that amp?

I have an older whole house 6zone audio system with in wall volume knobs in each room and have been waiting for a dts play-fi type thing to show up before upgrading it to a centrally controllable smarthome thingy. I see it says "dts play-fi will be added in a future firmware update" which scares me

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 22, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

greasyhands posted:

Oh my God I have been looking for something like this for years. I mean, not looking all that hard but I agree the multichannel audio landscape is retarded and the receiver manufacturers are terrible. Are you happy with that amp?
I really like it except it's a bit finicky using CEC [but what isn't?] and the remote looks and feels like it's from 1997. I got a deal on a refurb, I wouldn't have paid $650 for it but overall super happy and I'd recommend the equivalent Onkyo [8270] in a second. If they release a newer version with more HDMI inputs and pre out/main in it would be perfect. Even a pre only version with no amp would be an amazing thing.

The software support has been decent, there's been 3 updates in the last 6 months, I use it with Airplay and it works fine. I'm not counting on it supporting Airplay 2 but I have my Apple TV for that.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for the speaker help and recommendations. Will have a sweet pair to annoy all my neighbours with.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I was leafing through a Newegg sale and saw a familiar but baffling phrase:

six...disc...cd changer? Oh I remember them. I guess this is new old stock.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

six...disc...cd changer? Oh I remember them. I guess this is new old stock.
That's a current production model. When I was in college Onkyos were the one to get because you can change the other 5 discs while the sixth is still playing! Other companies eventually did that too but they were the first. I am pretty old.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ha. I used to have a 300-disc changer, and eventually the world moved on and I stopped using it, it sat in a box for a couple moves across the country, etc. Eventually, I decided to sell it on Craigslist, some old dude was absolutely tickled pink because he had that exact one, used it all the time, and it eventually died, so it made his day when he was able to replace it straight up for like $40 or whatever I gave it to him for.

I guess the moral of the story is: there is actually a market for that stuff, the Olds are all up on it. :shobon:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It just amused me that a CD player was actually being promoted. For as popular as they were (I sold a metric ton working in electronics retail) it's just funny how they are completely off my radar now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Ha. I used to have a 300-disc changer, and eventually the world moved on and I stopped using it, it sat in a box for a couple moves across the country, etc. Eventually, I decided to sell it on Craigslist, some old dude was absolutely tickled pink because he had that exact one, used it all the time, and it eventually died, so it made his day when he was able to replace it straight up for like $40 or whatever I gave it to him for.
I had a 300 disc changer as well, it was awesome until I exceeded its capacity. I ended up selling it to a woman who owned a bar and was really excited about it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Asked this in the TV thread but it got to be more about audio so I think I should ask here.

Just got a new OLED C7P. My receiver is a Pioneer 1018 VSX-AHK from 2008 so pretty sure there's no ARC since it isn't specified and I think ARC started in 2009. I think that means I have to use an optical cable from the TV to the receiver for audio. My PS4 Pro, Switch, and Windows HTPC are plugged into the C7.

On the receiver I have the input set to TV since that is using Optical 1 for an audio input, but just not using any video input. I'm getting 5.1 (extended into my 7.1) when using the C7's built-in Netflix app. Not getting surround from the HTPC though. It correctly recognizes that the TV it is physically hooked up to is just stereo, but it doesn't know the receiver exists so can't switch to surround.

Not getting surround from my Switch or PS4 Pro either. I have the Switch set to Surround and tried changing the PS4 from HDMI to Optical, but I think that is used only if I was using an optical cable from the PS4. The game I was trying was showing that only 2.0 was available.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I had a Technics top loading 5 disc changer with the clear plastic top like it was a record player. Was cool because you could change the other CDs while it was playing, before (I think) that became a thing with front loaders.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
So I just bought a new TCL 55C807 because my ancient Westinghouse was starting to show its age. I have an old Denon AVR-1909 that is not new enough to support ARC/CEC. Optical return from the TV is less than ideal because the Denon has a tendency to drop the signal if there's no sound being made.

I'm thinking I should upgrade to a new unit. The AVR-X1400H seems perfect in that it's mostly HDMI (I have no need for legacy inputs) and it supports all the protocols I want. I may end up bi-amping my fronts just because I have some large JBL L890's that may see some advantage to the additional distribution of power?

Any reason I would want to step up to a Marantz of some sort? Aside from the obvious number of inputs and increase in power output.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
So I have a $300 newegg gift card as my budget and all I really want to do is upgrade/fix my audio setup in my bedroom as it's awful right now. I'd like to get a 3.1 system as the thread seems to recommend for my TV (which has godawful built in speakers) and for listening to music either from my PC or a turntable. I don't have room for free standing speakers, so they should be bookshelf speakers. I have a harman/kardon AVR40 receiver, I know it's a bit older but it's working and I wanted to see if it would work. In that budget I also want to fit a turntable since that's the other thing I want to do with my audio, if I have to I could get the turntable later though since I know $300 isn't a big budget.

I don't know if they're any good, but I also salvaged some older audio gear recently:

I have this exact Accoustic Research sub with satellite speakers, though it's missing the proprietary power cord: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-R...=p2047675.l2557

And this center channel speaker: https://www.ebay.com/p/Atlantic-Technology-Model-153-c-Center-Channel-Speaker-153C/1526068023?iid=112819816171

I'm assuming from what I've found and how they look that they're pretty cheap/low quality and probably not worth using?

Either way I'd love any suggestions and they are greatly appreciated.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I would get a pair of speakers and a sub for that budget. Get the turntable later. Buying from Newegg limits you and they're a little more expensive than Amazon, but you still have plenty of options. As one example, this is what I have in my bedroom right now:

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA1J76008266

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16882290130?Keyword=Psw505

You can sometimes find that sub on sale for ~$150 if you're lucky, or go down to a 10". I'd only do that if you're primarily going to be listening to music - you really need more for movies and such.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16882290034

I'm sure other people will recommend tons of options (the Elac stuff seems to be all the rage), but I know those are solid first hand.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 6, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

One thing you could do is sell the newegg giftcard on SA and pick something up off Craigslist. Depending on where you are Craigslist can be sweet pure gold for audio stuff.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

One thing you could do is sell the newegg giftcard on SA and pick something up off Craigslist. Depending on where you are Craigslist can be sweet pure gold for audio stuff.

Not around here. You're lucky to find a half broken Sony on the high end :sigh:

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

KillHour posted:

I would get a pair of speakers and a sub for that budget. Get the turntable later. Buying from Newegg limits you and they're a little more expensive than Amazon, but you still have plenty of options. As one example, this is what I have in my bedroom right now:

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA1J76008266

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16882290130?Keyword=Psw505

You can sometimes find that sub on sale for ~$150 if you're lucky, or go down to a 10". I'd only do that if you're primarily going to be listening to music - you really need more for movies and such.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16882290034

I'm sure other people will recommend tons of options (the Elac stuff seems to be all the rage), but I know those are solid first hand.

I had a feeling that would be the case with the turntable, all the discussion in the thread put the budget well above my $300 just for the basics.

Am I really going to notice a huge difference between the 10" and the 12" with films?

(also is my receiver okay for what I want to do? the harman/kardon AVR40, I mean?)

Yeah I thought about that but I had two problems:

1. It would bug me to sell a gift that someone gave me (and the newegg card is a gift that the person is hoping to hear what I did with)

2. I wouldn't even know what to look for on Craigslist here in Atlanta since I am not at all experienced with audio gear

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Darius099 posted:

Am I really going to notice a huge difference between the 10" and the 12" with films?

Yes.

quote:

(also is my receiver okay for what I want to do? the harman/kardon AVR40, I mean?)

Ye...

AVR40 user manual posted:

USE 8 OHM MIN SPEAKERS

:psyduck:

Edit: Still yes, because the Klipsch speakers JUST HAPPEN to be 8 ohms. But I'd still upgrade when you can. Maybe try to save up for something like this.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr204/integra-dtr-20.4-5.2-ch-x-80-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 7, 2018

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Are there nominal 8 ohm speakers that don't dip below 8 ohms at some point? How flimsy an amp do you have that can't handle a millisecond burst of 4 ohms?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well I'm hoping that it means minimum 8 ohm nominal and not actually 8 ohm minimum. On the plus side, if the amp suicides you gave an excuse to get a new one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d be wary of getting lower-end Klipsch speakers without hearing them first, there’s others on Newegg like the Polk S15 that are a little more mellow. Klipsch aren’t bad, they just have a tendency to be tuned treble-forward and some people don’t like that. You should be able to check both of those out as Best Buy.