Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Namek gets a certain amount of shade because a lot of us had Dragonball Z on the TV growing up, and for some reason the episodes shown started after Namek started, but ended before Namek ended, making our first experience with DBZ a never-ending cycle of sad Namekians.

I'm not sure if it was licensing or something else but Dragonball Z as it was available on TV for me growing up only consisted of parts of the Frieza saga, and the Majin Buu saga. We never got any episodes from the Cell saga, as at the end of the Frieza saga it would conspicuously skip forward to Buu. I remember only finding episodes of Cell on a spanish-only channel in the middle of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
frieza just never blew up a planet as resilient as namek before

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mean if you're comparing the original dbz anime to the dressrosa anime arc then maybe it's comparable but the actual manga arc of namek (and kai) are top tier shonen while the dressrosa arc of the manga is one of its low points

the game of cat and mouse while everyone competed to keep the dragon balls away from the other factions was great and freeza is so much better than doflamingo, both as a villain and as a final fight, that it's not even funny. dressrosa was very uneven with some really high points but also some garbage like the birdcage

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

The joke is that Namek took a very long time to get done with. They were on that planet for a long loving time. And humorously enough, I think they were only on the planet in-universe for a couple of days or something.

Only in the anime. The entire Namek arc in the manga was less than 100 chapters from Gohan and Krillin leaving Earth to Goku escaping Namek. Of course the anime took forever to get that done, but when is that not the case for an ongoing series?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

a small part of me wonders how long the Namek arc would be and how it would change if it were rewritten by Oda, Tite Kubo, and Kishimoto respectively

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
My only problem with birdcage is that Doflamingo did it with a shrug, a snap and an asspull.

Has anyone read fable? It’s been a while for me, but I recall a clever witch lady telling a more powerful witch lady “no, I could actually destroy you right now because i’ve been living here for ages and had time to set up every bullshit hex and curse in the grimoire around this dumb muggle city.”

If Doflamingo had done some similar crowing about how stupid the strawhats were for attacking him on his home turf and how he’d spent a few years weaving this ultimate home defense system into the place, I’d be a lot more forgiving of it. As a thing the dude could just do on a whim it seemed stupid.

Also, I wonder how Gangster Gastino is doing.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dressrosa is super big and has loads of amazing moments that were a joy to relive on reread, but yeah, the birdcage was super dumb and just really makes me scratch my head.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
birdcage is the worst thing in the entirety of one piece

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Captain Invictus posted:

Pretty much all of the problems with Dressrosa boil down to "Doffy and crew are overpowered as hell for no reason".

If you think about it there's no reason why Doffy and Sugar (assuming she is perfectly loyal to him) should not have taken over the world already. Nothing about Doffy's actions makes sense when viewed through the lens of what he and his crew are capable of. He seems to be some kind of sleazy planner type, like a mafia boss, who is running things behind the scenes as a weapons dealer and has secretly taken over a whole country, but instead of him manipulating politicians or buying his way into power, he just has Sugar memory-nuke anyone who gets in his way till everyone is so confused that they just believe whatever he says.

What is the actual point of him running all his weapons development schemes for Kaidou (or anyone for that matter)? Is it just for money? With his strength, ability to manipulate people, and Sugar's power he would be able to get any amount of money he wants. Is he just trying to get close to people in power to manipulate them/use Sugar? Then why does it seem like he has made no progress since pre-timeskip? With his info network and power-set he should be able to take over the world with the only people giving him any trouble being the four emperors, the admirals, and MAYBE the revolutionaries, and that's just physically. Sugar could do what she did to Dressrosa to the WG with no problem, and then Doffy is king of the world.

Oda tried to have Doffy do too much, and it made him seem kinda dumb in retrospect.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

LanceKing2200 posted:

With his info network and power-set he should be able to take over the world with the only people giving him any trouble being the four emperors, the admirals, and MAYBE the revolutionaries, and that's just physically. Sugar could do what she did to Dressrosa to the WG with no problem, and then Doffy is king of the world.

Comparing Doffy to Big Mom, "only" having every major piece in the world as trouble really doesn't seem reasonable. It seems like Doffy was building up connections and power before stepping up to that level, and as is would have likely been rolled over by whatever squad Mom sent out, let alone her strength compared to his. He really wasn't on that level yet.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I remember taking a big break from manga and comics in general around when Dressrosa was getting started, then when I got back into it I blitzed through the whole thing at once and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Bridcage still sucks though.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

LanceKing2200 posted:

Pretty much all of the problems with Dressrosa boil down to "Doffy and crew are overpowered as hell for no reason".

If you think about it there's no reason why Doffy and Sugar (assuming she is perfectly loyal to him) should not have taken over the world already. Nothing about Doffy's actions makes sense when viewed through the lens of what he and his crew are capable of. He seems to be some kind of sleazy planner type, like a mafia boss, who is running things behind the scenes as a weapons dealer and has secretly taken over a whole country, but instead of him manipulating politicians or buying his way into power, he just has Sugar memory-nuke anyone who gets in his way till everyone is so confused that they just believe whatever he says.

What is the actual point of him running all his weapons development schemes for Kaidou (or anyone for that matter)? Is it just for money? With his strength, ability to manipulate people, and Sugar's power he would be able to get any amount of money he wants. Is he just trying to get close to people in power to manipulate them/use Sugar? Then why does it seem like he has made no progress since pre-timeskip? With his info network and power-set he should be able to take over the world with the only people giving him any trouble being the four emperors, the admirals, and MAYBE the revolutionaries, and that's just physically. Sugar could do what she did to Dressrosa to the WG with no problem, and then Doffy is king of the world.

Oda tried to have Doffy do too much, and it made him seem kinda dumb in retrospect.

sugar could defeat any of the yonkou with a single touch

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i thought robins big limbs were just a bunch of small limbs working together

it used to be before her first power up. when she knew gigantes manos it was no longer a bunch of small limbs

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Captain Invictus posted:

haki

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you’re an Emperor, you do not need to let anyone within touching distance. Except Blackbeard, and Sugar getting within range of him would be even worse news for her.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Darth Walrus posted:

Except Blackbeard, and Sugar getting within range of him would be even worse news for her.

:whitewater:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

blocking communications was the easiest part of birdcage to stomach. just think of faraday's cage.
i figured birdcage was also really strong because he'd been making it for years, like the healing diamond on that old lady's forehead in naruto.

dressrosa owns. the arc def. slowed down near the end for #00 reasons and that was unfortunate (haki with some quantifiable time limit?). but it was a good adventure.

welp that's my story, (one) peace!

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Exactly, the list I mentioned is just people who Doffy would personally have trouble with in a purely physical confrontation. Even if we assume that "strong" haki users are immune to Sugar's direct effect (even though there's no basis for this) they still lose their memories of people who get hit, so even if Sugar couldn't just dismantle Big Mom's crew in one touch to her, she could still dismantle it enough to disable most of the fleet.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

brainSnakes posted:

My only problem with birdcage is that Doflamingo did it with a shrug, a snap and an asspull.

Has anyone read fable? It’s been a while for me, but I recall a clever witch lady telling a more powerful witch lady “no, I could actually destroy you right now because i’ve been living here for ages and had time to set up every bullshit hex and curse in the grimoire around this dumb muggle city.”

If Doflamingo had done some similar crowing about how stupid the strawhats were for attacking him on his home turf and how he’d spent a few years weaving this ultimate home defense system into the place, I’d be a lot more forgiving of it. As a thing the dude could just do on a whim it seemed stupid.

Also, I wonder how Gangster Gastino is doing.
That's a neat idea. I'm going to pretend that's what the situation was, regardless of how it was presented, and now don't really have an issue with birdcage.

Dressrossa was still meh because of how boring Kyros was and how Rebecca was handled though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
sugar could never touch a yonkou, because they've all mastered ultra instinct.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Eiba posted:

That's a neat idea. I'm going to pretend that's what the situation was, regardless of how it was presented, and now don't really have an issue with birdcage.

Dressrossa was still meh because of how boring Kyros was and how Rebecca was handled though.

Yeah, Kyros' plot was just the worst. I'm still mad Robin's potential second fight in the entire series was robbed by Kyros deciding women aren't allowed to fight.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"Robin got robbed of a fight" is still the dumbest loving Dressarosa take.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i'm sad sugar never touched a yonkou

we missed out on a scene with a rubber duck beating the everliving poo poo out of the entire doflamingo gang

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

JahRoo posted:

I'm not sure if it was licensing or something else but Dragonball Z as it was available on TV for me growing up only consisted of parts of the Frieza saga, and the Majin Buu saga. We never got any episodes from the Cell saga, as at the end of the Frieza saga it would conspicuously skip forward to Buu. I remember only finding episodes of Cell on a spanish-only channel in the middle of the week.

When I watched it, we'd get like one or two new episodes. Then you'd turn it on and "LAST TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z" and you'd see that loving blue grass and green sky. Would it be them just landing this time? Five minutes until the explosion? Maybe we' get to see the ginyu squad again. I saw the entirety of namek half a dozen times before seeing perfect cell. I never saw kid buu. Kid Buu was just a myth that never existed, as far as I knew after buu split into evil buu and fat buu or whatever, they just went back to namek to hang out with dende.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

robin's role in the fight being rebecca's umbrella loving sucked

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If you wanna be bitchy at someone for stealing that fight then be bitchy at Usopp for enabling Kyros to take care of he own drat business.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I still love that the arc had three characters whose powers were respectively magic surgery, magic stitching, and magic healing and still tried to play Law getting his arm chopped off as a big shocker moment. Then none of those characters fixed Kyros' leg for some reason.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
only the princess could assuming she could regrow limbs. i dont think hed want whatever is left of his rotting leg stuck back on him

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oh Snapple! posted:

If you wanna be bitchy at someone for stealing that fight then be bitchy at Usopp for enabling Kyros to take care of he own drat business.

why be mad at usopp when I can be mad at oda for writing the situation that way to begin with

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Why not just be mad at Oda's parents for making him in the first place?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

why be mad at usopp when I can be mad at oda for writing the situation that way to begin with

I mean the "problem" with the situation has always boiled down to "Oda didn't write what I wanted him to write!" so sure, go hog wild.

Dressrosa has issues, and if folks were bored by Kyros and Rebecca then :shrug:, but Kyros taking care of the antagonist that exists solely for his section of the story ain't one of them. Certainly doesn''t warrant folks flatout making poo poo up about how it goes just to justify being mad about it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean the "problem" with the situation has always boiled down to "Oda didn't write what I wanted him to write!" so sure, go hog wild.

You can boil literally any criticism of any writing down to that sentiment so do you just have a problem with criticism in general then?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Andrast posted:

You can boil literally any criticism of any writing down to that sentiment so do you just have a problem with criticism in general then?

I enjoy that you just kinda chopped off the part where I said the arc has issues, answering this question before you even asked it.

But anyway, this is a dumb thing to say when the criticism being talked about it is expressly "I wanted something else entirely." If the Kyros/Diamante fight just didn't do anything for you then I don't really give a poo poo and think that's fair; I personally think Oda could have done more with it. But "I wanted someone else to get the fight" isn't a criticism, and lingering on it is just whining that the author didn't do what you wanted.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

I enjoy that you just kinda chopped off the part where I said the arc has issues, answering this question before you even asked it.

But anyway, this is a dumb thing to say when the criticism being talked about it is expressly "I wanted something else entirely." If the Kyros/Diamante fight just didn't do anything for you then I don't really give a poo poo and think that's fair; I personally think Oda could have done more with it. But "I wanted someone else to get the fight" isn't a criticism, and lingering on it is just whining that the author didn't do what you wanted.

It’s fine criticism because Kyros loving sucked (and the arc with Rebecca was terrible)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh Snapple! posted:

Dressrosa has issues, and if folks were bored by Kyros and Rebecca then :shrug:, but Kyros taking care of the antagonist that exists solely for his section of the story ain't one of them. Certainly doesn''t warrant folks flatout making poo poo up about how it goes just to justify being mad about it.

You can boil literally any criticism down to "he didn't write what I wanted" if you ignore any and all context around it. Diamante was not introduced as an antagonist that exists for Kyros and nobody else. He was part of the Doflamingo family and ran the arena. The specific connection to Kyros and Rebecca wasn't made until later.

Really, the problem is that Diamante is the most interesting character in the Rebecca and Kyros side plot, so everyone wishes he had been able to escape its gravity. But he didn't get a cool devil fruit fight with Robin or literally anyone else, instead he got a boring fight with boring sword man Kyros.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
gently caress you guys, Lao G dying mid fight and then coming back to life is one of the best gags of the entire series. Also Sabo. Also Cavendish eating a rose when they introduced him.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

She didn't need a fight, and she didn't need that fight, but she did need something cool to do and all she got was keeping professional gladiatorial fighter Rebeca who specializes in dodging out of the way while Kyros was boring and manly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eiba posted:

She didn't need a fight, and she didn't need that fight, but she did need something cool to do and all she got was keeping professional gladiatorial fighter Rebeca who specializes in dodging out of the way while Kyros was boring and manly.

She restrained Hakuba, at least. But yeah, she felt a bit extraneous to the Diamante fight specifically. If anything, maybe Oda should have kept Robin away from Diamante entirely and given Rebecca a more active role.