Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Apologies if this has already been addressed. I'm giving thought to converting a game currently in one D&D derivative over to SotDL, but I have one character is strongly tied to an animal companion and another couple that might want to have one. Is there a class or tradition that implements anything like this? I understand it being somewhat counter to SotDL's design choices but want to find a way to work through that if I can. If not, I'll write the material for our own use but would appreciate any guidance just the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Apologies if this has already been addressed. I'm giving thought to converting a game currently in one D&D derivative over to SotDL, but I have one character is strongly tied to an animal companion and another couple that might want to have one. Is there a class or tradition that implements anything like this? I understand it being somewhat counter to SotDL's design choices but want to find a way to work through that if I can. If not, I'll write the material for our own use but would appreciate any guidance just the same.

If they wanna have a wolf as a pet tell 'em to go looking in the woods for a wolf to capture and train as a pet. Then just use wolf stats.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Yes, beyond just having them train an animal with skills or whatever, the Befriend Animal spell in the Primal Tradition does this by letting you charm random animals permanently (you're eventually going to hit a 20+ if you keep doing it when you take a rest), and the tradition also gives animal companions buffs (plus lets you summon more). The spell does have a HP limit and it doesn’t upgrade the animal permanently or anything, so if they want to stick with the same wolf cub you’ll probably want to let them upgrade it’s size or apply a relevant template/role at appropriate junctures (either sticking to HP limit or just using what appear to be the implied guidelines for summons- i.e. diff 5 at level 1 and then roughly up one difficulty step every 2 levels thereafter).

e: though thinking about this a bit more you may want to err on the side of caution given that the summons are permanent and Befriend Animal lets you have a number = to power- i.e. a single Difficulty 100 bear companion you've had since the beginning is neat, but it would seem pretty ridiculous to let a level 1 spell to essentially give you the benefits of 5 level 5 spells, especially since Befriend Animal's HP limit would normally restrict you to Large Animals (Diff 25). If they start Befriending multiple companions I'd probably restrict the benefits of such "long term development" so their companions were stuck at lower difficulty or have such companions count as more than one animal against the maximum number you can Befriend.

LGD fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 7, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I am loving SotDL and I think my players are, too. The only thing I have become increasingly sketchy on is the pace of leveling. It seems a bit too fast - where you don't get a chance to learn and adjust to your new fiddly rules bits before another fiddly rules bit comes flying at you.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

So I am loving SotDL and I think my players are, too. The only thing I have become increasingly sketchy on is the pace of leveling. It seems a bit too fast - where you don't get a chance to learn and adjust to your new fiddly rules bits before another fiddly rules bit comes flying at you.

This is one thing I've thought about a lot. I think the 1 level per adventure is a little weird given that they seem to also expect you to complete 1 adventure every session. Most adventures should take longer than that, if you ask me. But really it does let you modulate pretty well. Maybe do 1 level per 2 adventures? Or even 3? One thing I've toyed with is having the PCs level up after major story beats, or creating a chart of objectives and for every 5 you accomplish the party levels up.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

I've had the opposite experience. I pace leveling out to occur only when my players have completed a story arc or quest chain, so I occasionally feel like there are huge stretches where they don't get new rules. I ameliorate this by trying to keep a flow of non-game breaking magical items coming.

For rules on animal companions: don't do it because animal companions absolutely loving suck and ruin everything.

In all seriousness I really do despise animal companions and mounts in trpgs, but if your players are really attached to the idea and you don't mind combats turning into marathons of "but what does my OWL do this round??" then use the core book's rules for generic animals.

Your hunter's wolf cub can progress from tiny animal all the way up to huge if you really want. Then depending on the general threat level of the enemies your players face you could even upgrade it to use the stats of a warg or gently caress it, even a barghest. Make the companion a pseudo-PC rather than something enthralled by Charm Animal or somesuch.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

This is one thing I've thought about a lot. I think the 1 level per adventure is a little weird given that they seem to also expect you to complete 1 adventure every session. Most adventures should take longer than that, if you ask me. But really it does let you modulate pretty well. Maybe do 1 level per 2 adventures? Or even 3? One thing I've toyed with is having the PCs level up after major story beats, or creating a chart of objectives and for every 5 you accomplish the party levels up.
Yeah, when I start rolling my own adventures instead of relying on Freeport - where some Chapters are extremely sparse - I expect I will fiddle with this particular dial. I want them leveling up to 3rd pretty fast, but then taking it more leisurely from there.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
To elaborate a bit on the pet class character in question. The player is currently playing a Pathfinder Summoner (I'm sorry for playing Pathfinder) which has a class feature called an Eidolon. It's basically a Pokemon that evolves over time, and the class has some related summoning magic. Specifically, her Eidolon is an extradimensional horror from a plan of manifested depression -- it's emo as hell, but I've really enjoyed working up that bit of fiction with her.

I think simply running it as an NPC might be the best option if we convert over to SotDL. I'm neutral on pet classes, I get their appeal to players, but I also get their difficulty in implementation. Alternatively, providing the pet as an NPC and letting the player take their attack action to direct it also seems reasonable. In that way, the pet essentially becomes the character's weapon.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 7, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The Engineer Master Path (level 7) gives you a pet that is coincidentally called an Eidolon.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ZorajitZorajit posted:

To elaborate a bit on the pet class character in question. The player is currently playing a Pathfinder Summoner (I'm sorry for playing Pathfinder) which has a class feature called an Eidolon. It's basically a Pokemon that evolves over time, and the class has some related summoning magic. Specifically, her Eidolon is an extradimensional horror from a plan of manifested depression -- it's emo as hell, but I've really enjoyed working up that bit of fiction with her.

I think simply running it as an NPC might be the best option if we convert over to SotDL. I'm neutral on pet classes, I get their appeal to players, but I also get their difficulty in implementation. Alternatively, providing the pet as an NPC and letting the player take their attack action to direct it also seems reasonable. In that way, the pet essentially becomes the character's weapon.

don't do game conversions, it bad.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Alchemist (master path) gives you the power to build a homonculus. One of my current players hs done this. It won't become more powerful alongside her or anything but it fulfills the requirements of a permanent companion creature.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There's a Shaman class in the Demon Lord's companion with spells to let you manifest a spirit.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

There's also an expert path in Paths of Power that comes with a supernatural henchman of some sort. I can't remember the specifics though.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Elfgames posted:

don't do game conversions, it bad.

yeah this, especially with such a focused concept, which goes wayyyyy beyond "animal companion"

the closest thing in stock SotDL is almost certainly the Occultist Expert Path from Paths of Power, which is about going nuts with Forbidden magic and enslaving the souls of the damned (one of whom you get as a scaling companion creature, though I don't think the lemure is that good mechanically)

if you were trying to translate the concept of "summoner who has a special pokemon" more directly I think you'd likely need to do a homebrew Expert Path- I'm thinking like full caster, forced conjuration path/spell choice at level 3, taking the path also grants you a path-specific level 1 Conjuration spell that functions similarly to the "Familiar" spell from Exquisite Agony except it summons a single Monster [using generic monster stats] that scales based on your Power (basically taking the normal magic-weaving of Conjuration and focusing it on creating a more permanent and powerful servant [though in character it may be seen differently- sort of like a tulpa I guess] since that's how SotDL Conjuration works and "summoning Outsiders" has slightly different setting implications- though it also wouldn't be the first time a demon got yanked from the void to be used as a soul, and that could definitely give it a bit of fun flavor)

higher level features would presumably grant flat bonuses/extra abilities to the pokemon in question (Of Monstrous Mien probably would be a good place to look) and/or give special actions you can do with your summoned critter

you could certainly just run it as an NPC but if the summoned creature is functionally acting as a pet/aid for a single character, and the character is defined largely by that relationship I think it's definitely appropriate to have it cost chargen resources

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 7, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Okay, as a DM, I need some advice. What's the best way to hold my group hostage by threatening to walk unless we play this once the 5e campaign wraps up? How can I word my demand so it seems reasonable or at least rationalizable?

It seems so good~

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“Let’s check out the secret 6e playtest.”

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I had really good mileage porting my 5e games into SotDL, but I can see how a few edge cases would cause friction between systems. I had completely forgotten the Lemure from Paths of Power, which very neatly matches the concept of "a pet monstrosity."

Pathfinder in particular I can see being sticky to try and convert, since it has such longevity and about a million different splatbooks.

When it comes to convincing your party, just tell them "hey doing the same thing all the time sucks, let's give this system I'm into a whirl and if we don't like it we can just do something else." If they can't agree to those terms then find a new group because the one you're with is full of lovely babies.

Glukeose fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 8, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

“It’s by one of the guys who designed 5e and then went on to make an even more refined, better supported, and metal version of D&D, I’d like to check it out.”

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
"Hey I found a system that's 5e but better in every single way, down to having even more published material. Maybe we should try it out. And by 'maybe' I mean that I won't shut up about it till we do."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Conspiratiorist posted:

"Hey I found a system that's 5e but better in every single way, down to having even more published material. Maybe we should try it out. And by 'maybe' I mean that I won't shut up about it till we do."
This won't work - it's got the carrot but I'll need a bigger stick. :colbert:

Glukeose posted:

When it comes to convincing your party, just tell them "hey doing the same thing all the time sucks, let's give this system I'm into a whirl and if we don't like it we can just do something else." If they can't agree to those terms then find a new group because the one you're with is full of lovely babies.
This is closer to what I'll actually go for. I'm gonna make it clear that I'm open to many systems as long as they aren't 5e. Demanding one specific system in the same breath as condemning them for doing so with a different one isn't quite as strong as I'd like. I'd be much happier with dungeon world/pbta than 5e but I'd really personally like to try this one.

Other option is I say "okay you DM then" to the biggest 5e-or-bust guy and maybe he'll bite the bullet and do it. I think he's got the chops he just won't do it if someone else is willing. Just being a player seems nice and one day I'm gonna do it...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 8, 2018

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Our group had a lot of "low fantasy with horror elements" already so it was a natural shift. Even then, some people were a bit nervous about switching because they saw the power shift (Since 5e PCs are generally gonna be god-like compared to SotDL PCs) and worried it was gonna be some Call of Cthulhu poo poo, it wasn't and they found the system cool after a session or two.

Just offer to switch back if it doesn't work for them.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This won't work - it's got the carrot but I'll need a bigger stick. :colbert:

This is closer to what I'll actually go for. I'm gonna make it clear that I'm open to many systems as long as they aren't 5e. Demanding one specific system in the same breath as condemning them for doing so with a different one isn't quite as strong as I'd like. I'd be much happier with dungeon world/pbta than 5e but I'd really personally like to try this one.

Other option is I say "okay you DM then" to the biggest 5e-or-bust guy and maybe he'll bite the bullet and do it. I think he's got the chops he just won't do it if someone else is willing. Just being a player seems nice and one day I'm gonna do it...

DM chooses the game full stop .if someone else wants to play something so bad they're willing to run it more power to them.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

I discovered SotDL shortly before the DungeonWorld campaign I was in finished, and when the GM said he needed some time before starting a new one I piped up with "Hey, I wanna try a couple one-shots of this cool new system, that OK with everyone?" And now I'm running a weekly campaign, the previous GM is running a 1-2 a month campaign for us since he had to move to a neighboring city, and he just told us he found a group in that city and is running a campaign for them weekly. I'd say it went down well :D

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm confused by the rules for vampires in this system. So, if they take a rest, they have to spend a blood point or they start to take penalties for starving or what have you. But there doesn't seem to be a need for them to ever rest, as they're undead, immune to fatigue, and so on and you don't get anything from resting since your healing rate is naturally 0.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm confused by the rules for vampires in this system. So, if they take a rest, they have to spend a blood point or they start to take penalties for starving or what have you. But there doesn't seem to be a need for them to ever rest, as they're undead, immune to fatigue, and so on and you don't get anything from resting since your healing rate is naturally 0.

Refreshing spells, uses of Talents etc

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Antilles posted:

Refreshing spells, uses of Talents etc

Ah, that's true. So presumably the vampire can stay up all the hell he wants without "resting" but if he wants to reset talents, spells, and so on, he's gotta spend. That makes more sense, thanks.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How are the ship combat rules in the Freeport Companion? Fun mini-game, natural extension of the normal rules or a clunky something the average table will want to abstract like most RPGs? Planning a fantasy age of sail game.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

In an upcoming game I'm running the party's wagon will be a major concern so I looked at the Forbidden Rules supplement. There's some decent stuff in there for vehicle combat if Freeport is no good.

Vehicle combat is always tricky. Your best bet is to find one player that's really into it (there's always one) and let the rest of the party do stuff that aids that one PC.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

ZearothK posted:

How are the ship combat rules in the Freeport Companion? Fun mini-game, natural extension of the normal rules or a clunky something the average table will want to abstract like most RPGs? Planning a fantasy age of sail game.

From what I remember it's fairly simple. Rules for initial distance of encounter, the captain can perform maneuvers to increase or decrease distance + a ramming maneuver, some detail on ship-to-ship combat (slinging battle magic and firing warmachines (cannons etc)), and so on.

Never tried it myself obviously, but from the one read-through it looked... ok? I can give it a second look if there's something specific you want to know.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Learned about this system from another thread on th forums and it's piqued my interest, also saddened that I miss the sales. Going by the thread most people seem to be following the premade adventures but has anyone made their own campaign up?

I'm probably going to have to light the mood up as the setting is demons all the way down. That elf? Demon.That god? Demon. That good God? Demon. That demon? Major demon. That devil? Use to be elves, which turns out are demons.That innocent looking flower? Oh you better believe that's a demon.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 14, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quixotic1 posted:

I'm probably going to have to light the mood up as the setting is demons all the way down. That elf? Demon.That god? Demon. That good God? Demon. That demon? Major demon. That devil? Use to be elves, which turns out are demons.That innocent looking flower? Oh you better believe that's a demon.

While I don't think you're wrong in intent, it's important to note that (do we really need to spoiler this?) demons and devils/archfey are very different kinds of beings. Diabolus is not the Demon Lord; the Demon Lord and various demons are very, very different.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Quixotic1 posted:

Learned about this system from another thread on th forums and it's piqued my interest, also saddened that I miss the sales. Going by the thread most people seem to be following the premade adventures but has anyone made their own campaign up?

I find that the stats for demons are excellent bases to use for powerful-rear end monsters that you can throw at the party. So lightening the mood is pretty easy in the sense that the stats don't have to change all that much, just the context. Getting jumped by an innocent-looking flower with the stats of a tiny demon would be a pretty funny 0-level boss fight.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The game is a love letter to WFRP and this is also visible in the setting - it has the same "things are mostly still functioning but civilisation has started to break down as evil demons and cultists come out of the woodworks to destroy everything from the inside" tone that WFRP had.

You can just as well play in the core setting and never encounter any demons - the shadow of the demon lord is just what's causing murderous cults, bandits, general unrest, etc. to happen.

Also yeah, the fey aren't demons at all.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
If you go by the setting info in Hunger in the Void, the genius made the first faeries and the first human souls out of the first demons to slip into the world.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Quixotic1 posted:

The custom setting I've written is a few shades less oppressive than Urth, and I've found that can be achieved by just leaning into the fallible, superstitious, and ignorant nature of sapient creatures. Not everyone needs to be a double demon daddy in disguise or some rape cult fetishist, just make them willing to refuse to help the party for petty bullshit reasons.

Kings and other powerful individuals can be corrupt and self-serving without needing to be apostles of the Demon Lord. Gods can be distant and don't personally intervene in the affairs of mortals. The morally correct path is difficult to tread because there is an abundance of easy, unethical tools at the disposal of the party.

That kinda stuff.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

If you go by the setting info in Hunger in the Void, the genius made the first faeries and the first human souls out of the first demons to slip into the world.

And of course even the genies were made by the moron lesser half of the Demon Lord, so it really is demons all the way down.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Watermarked PDF option for the SotDL corebook on DTRPG is showing on sale for $19.99, discounted from $49.99?! Is the PDF of this game really normally $50?!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Pope Guilty posted:

The Watermarked PDF option for the SotDL corebook on DTRPG is showing on sale for $19.99, discounted from $49.99?! Is the PDF of this game really normally $50?!

DTRPG always shows PDFs marked down from the physical book price.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s worth it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

unseenlibrarian posted:

DTRPG always shows PDFs marked down from the physical book price.

Oh, huh. I have no idea how I never noticed that. Nice how they're giving the PDF away for free if you buy a physical book, meanwhile.