Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Eiba posted:

She didn't need a fight, and she didn't need that fight, but she did need something cool to do and all she got was keeping professional gladiatorial fighter Rebeca who specializes in dodging out of the way while Kyros was boring and manly.

yea the problem isn't that robin didn't fight that guy. it's that what she did do loving sucked

also people get saltier about robin not getting fights because she's had like 1 in the entire time she's been on the crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

dazoner posted:

gently caress you guys, Lao G dying mid fight and then coming back to life is one of the best gags of the entire series. Also Sabo. Also Cavendish eating a rose when they introduced him.

Completely agree. That's the thing about Dressrosa, it has some of my least favorite and also my most favorite things in the whole series. I loved every single chapter of the tournament. God Ussop was amazing. The dwarves were great and funny and I loved how they were another connection to Norland. That arc had the Punch King Elizabello! And introduced Kanjuro, the man with the ability to bring his incredibly lovely drawings to life!

And yet it also had really bad pacing towards the end and the whole Kyros and Rebecca plot put me to sleep. It's a mixed bag overall.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Begemot posted:

You can boil literally any criticism down to "he didn't write what I wanted" if you ignore any and all context around it. Diamante was not introduced as an antagonist that exists for Kyros and nobody else. He was part of the Doflamingo family and ran the arena. The specific connection to Kyros and Rebecca wasn't made until later.

Really, the problem is that Diamante is the most interesting character in the Rebecca and Kyros side plot, so everyone wishes he had been able to escape its gravity. But he didn't get a cool devil fruit fight with Robin or literally anyone else, instead he got a boring fight with boring sword man Kyros.

"Oda hosed up the fight and made it boring" is a good criticism. It's an extremely vanilla fight and largely not up to par with what I expect from him. I also think he absolutely could have made it...not that.

"Oda didn't write the matchup I wanted for no other reason than that I wanted the character in literally any fight" is not an actual criticism, but at the same time does not prevent "Robin has not had a fight in ages and that's hosed up" from being good criticism. I said before that Dressrosa has issues, and part of that is that it's really ridiculously packed with characters due to the Armada setup and I don't think Oda handled it well - which ended up negatively affecting a character like Robin who had what would be her more probable matchups go to the future fleet members instead to establish them some more so she kinda ended up getting shoehorned into the Diamante fight as Oda just honestly didn't really know what else to do with her.

Eiba posted:

She didn't need a fight, and she didn't need that fight, but she did need something cool to do and all she got was keeping professional gladiatorial fighter Rebeca who specializes in dodging out of the way while Kyros was boring and manly.

This is actually basically where I'm at on the matter. I can absolutely understand being frustrated with Robin's lack of real involvement for going on...quite a drat while now, but that Diamante fight wasn't "stolen" from her and folks straight up making poo poo up about it (Kyros not letting Robin and Rebecca fight ~because they're women~) is duuuumb as all gently caress.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 7, 2018

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Begemot posted:

Completely agree. That's the thing about Dressrosa, it has some of my least favorite and also my most favorite things in the whole series. I loved every single chapter of the tournament. God Ussop was amazing. The dwarves were great and funny and I loved how they were another connection to Norland. That arc had the Punch King Elizabello! And introduced Kanjuro, the man with the ability to bring his incredibly lovely drawings to life!

And yet it also had really bad pacing towards the end and the whole Kyros and Rebecca plot put me to sleep. It's a mixed bag overall.

Yeah, this is where I am. Everything Usopp was amazing. Greater Three Thousand Worlds was amazing, but there’s an absurd degree of buildup because Oda doesn’t want to make Zoro look weak to be consistent while not just having him clown the fucker too early because???

Also it feels kinda silly in retrospect that we got backstory on a huge chunk of the Doffy Pirates but not a single mention of Sugar wanting to avenge her big sister.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

a small part of me wonders how long the Namek arc would be and how it would change if it were rewritten by Oda, Tite Kubo, and Kishimoto respectively

oda: every single character, including dende, has an individual 10 chapter fight except for bulma
kubo: goku runs up and down stairs for 2 years
kishimoto: 90% of the arc is goth vegeta murdering people and brooding

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 7, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
we are way past the era of oda giving everyone a fight

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

can dende possibly defeat the mighty appule

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

a small part of me wonders how long the Namek arc would be and how it would change if it were rewritten by Oda, Tite Kubo, and Kishimoto respectively

Kubo would drag things out by giving almost every minor character an opponent to fight. Also, there would be no backgrounds, of course.

Early-Naruto Kishimoto would improve it by making the fights more tactical and giving some of the characters more depth. Late-Naruto Kishimoto would still do those things, but he'd take the character-depth thing too far and give most of the villains contrived redemption storylines.

Oda would make both the fights and some visual elements (like the backgrounds) more interesting. The characters would be basically unchanged.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Oh Snapple! posted:

Kyros not letting Robin and Rebecca fight ~because they're women~

He doesn't let his daughter fight because it's his child and he doesn't want her to be a killer like he is. Not because she's a woman, because he thinks violence is wrong and something bad people do and his daughter is not a bad person nor should she have to be.

Robin doesn't even try to join the fight. She literally says that she will protect Rebecca.

Oda has a lot of bullshit stuff with women which is definitely the worst thing in OP, but Kyros didn't stop Rebecca from fighting because she's a woman. Although I guess Oda might have stopped her from fighting because she's a woman and it's Oda.

Also: Robin is the most boring strawhat with a boring superpower. Her role is knowing things and reading weird letters and her not having a fight in forever is fine imo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

To be entirely honest I’m pretty sure the crew is gonna be split up for the entire rest of the series so the half that we’re with can get equal focus. Which I’m fine with; there’s already enough bloat as is and it’ll give us moments like Brook vs Big Mom.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Early-Naruto Kishimoto would improve it by making the fights more tactical and giving some of the characters more depth. Late-Naruto Kishimoto would still do those things, but he'd take the character-depth thing too far and give most of the villains contrived redemption storylines.

mid-naruto kishimoto would just have the rival character kill people non-stop while getting increasingly mutated eyeballs for no reason, and also still portray him as sympathetic

also late-naruto kishimoto would just be DBZ Except It's Bad

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

Also: Robin is the most boring strawhat with a boring superpower. Her role is knowing things and reading weird letters and her not having a fight in forever is fine imo.

:wrong:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yinlock posted:

mid-naruto kishimoto would just have the rival character kill people non-stop while getting increasingly mutated eyeballs for no reason, and also still portray him as sympathetic

also late-naruto kishimoto would just be DBZ Except It's Bad

The Super Saiyagan.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

loving lmao

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay, now that you guys put it that way, yeah, bird cage seems pretty stupid.

That being said, I wasn't really a big fan of Doffy's "awakening" ability. So he is able to turn matter into strings? Okay, kind of neat I guess, but....why? His strings are already pretty much unbreakable, and it seems he can generate as much as he needs without having to absorb buildings and poo poo. It's just really weird and doesn't have any natural connection to his standard devil fruit ability.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tucker would never say slavery is evil, this is fake news

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

That was in the original source

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This is amazing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Blockhouse posted:

The last time this happened was like, Alabastia right? Usopp didnt get one in Eneis Lobby unless you want to count him being tied up to Zoro and then sniping Spandam

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Usopp wasn't part of the crew in Enies Lobby.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

tsob posted:

Usopp wasn't part of the crew in Enies Lobby.

Silly me

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Blockhouse posted:

thats fair, i just want to see a cool robin fight!!!

i hope the final arc has a series of 1on1 fights and also maybe one big strawhat crew vs one person final fight too

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Robin pretending to stop the spiked balls while actually getting cut up by them was badass as gently caress

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
it would be cool if she hit him back

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

anime was right posted:

maybe one big strawhat crew vs one person final fight too

Is Oz the only successful time the entire crew has fought one entity at once? Kuma was another case, but they failed spectacularly that time and I'm not even sure most of them actually tried to attack him at any point off the top of my head.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

tsob posted:

Is Oz the only successful time the entire crew has fought one entity at once? Kuma was another case, but they failed spectacularly that time and I'm not even sure most of them actually tried to attack him at any point off the top of my head.

They beat a PXsomething together before getting completely crushed by Kintaro(?), Kizaru, 2 Pacificistas and Kuma.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

:bisonyes:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

dazoner posted:

gently caress you guys, Lao G dying mid fight and then coming back to life is one of the best gags of the entire series. Also Sabo. Also Cavendish eating a rose when they introduced him.

Lao g ftw

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
I am almost certain that the blackbeard crew will be fought 1 on 1 because there are specifically 10 named members on his crew too.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

GoldenPrice posted:

I am almost certain that the blackbeard crew will be fought 1 on 1 because there are specifically 10 named members on his crew too.

Where does that leave Carrot tho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Where does that leave Carrot tho

the armada with garfield and odie

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 8, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'd rather Pekoms join

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Anyone who doesn't want Carrot to join needs to reread Zou and Whole Cake Island until they notice the adorable, spunky, awesome rabbit girl present in those arcs.

That's her. That's Carrot. And she's the next Straw Hat Crew Member.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Jinbe's enough for me, honestly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I doubt Carrot joins the crew but I wouldn't be upset if she did.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

carrot's the vivi of this arc

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
carrot is gonna join the crew back on the ship then go home with pekmons because she isnt a straw hat pirate

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The most annoying thing about the birdcage was that Oda wrote it so it pretty much had to be there to stop the decades worth of everything escaping with all of his dirty laundry into the Grand Line, but holy smokes at what a cost to the plot. We all complain about what we hate about it but none have offered an alternative that could have bottled up all that noise after the dam had burst wide open.

I think Sugar might have been the real culprit here, her fruit is just too broken and makes me wonder why she wasn't just running her own crew despite being a five year old or whatev.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
What if the Pekoms situation is the reverse of Sogeking. Where Luffy isn’t convinced but the crew is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Parrotine posted:

The most annoying thing about the birdcage was that Oda wrote it so it pretty much had to be there to stop the decades worth of everything escaping with all of his dirty laundry into the Grand Line, but holy smokes at what a cost to the plot. We all complain about what we hate about it but none have offered an alternative that could have bottled up all that noise after the dam had burst wide open.

I think Sugar might have been the real culprit here, her fruit is just too broken and makes me wonder why she wasn't just running her own crew despite being a five year old or whatev.

Well in the end, Doffy got beat, the cage went down, and all that info got out anyway, right? The bird cage was still unnecessary because it only stopped info from spreading for however long that final fight was, like, 3 hours? I don't remember the time scale here, but it wasn't a lot.

Oda could've just had that info get out, and then have Doflamingo become extremely vengeful and upset, leading to things like Law losing his arm and randomly turning civilians into brother-stabbers out of spite, so we're still at the exact same final situation but without Zoro being unable to cut string for no reason.