Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

But uneducated on just what the hell Vince Russo booked motorcycle races would be like.

I am really perplexed about how confused you got about this.
The premise isn't really any different than Rollergames, Battledome or Monster Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

I am really perplexed about how confused you got about this.
The premise isn't really any different than Rollergames, Battledome or Monster Wars.

Monster Wars wasn't worked, it was worked interviews added into a program that had nothing to do with them. That's why a truck that they completely ignored during the interviews won. Battledome is half worked storylines and half game show. It's probably closest to Rollergames, but from there what does it mean?

Is it drag racing? Motocross? Superbike racing? The diary indicates the show didn't know if it would be a work or a shoot or if it would even include real drivers. It could be almost anything involving motorcycles and pro wrestling storylines.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Well that just means that the details are unknown.
The overarching concept (putting wrestling style sports entertainment into a sport that usually doesn't have it) is not without precedent.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

The overarching concept (putting wrestling style sports entertainment into a sport that usually doesn't have it) is not without precedent.

It's not but even the examples you list are so completely different from each other that it makes it hard to imagine how it would work. Then there's the fact that everything since the 70s has been a huge flop so why even try it with something that doesn't have a combat element.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think maybe the source of confusion here comes down to two people interpreting the same stimuli differently.
(I saw those 3 shows as 3 different attempts at the same idea, and didn't even see them as all that different from each other).

But you know what? Moving on from that...
Why was Jerry Jarrett so goddamn crazy?
How do wrestling promoters even exist? How do wrestling promotions even exist? Everybody involved in the business sounds like a blithering crazy idiot.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 4, 2018

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ChrisBTY posted:

Darts is doing it now with Thursday Night Darts on BBC!https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/959244992114929664?s=19

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm watching this weeks retro Nitro and I'm wondering what was happening in the arena during that first hour. Did they just let people in an hour later than normal?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Darts is doing it now with Thursday Night Darts on BBC!https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/959244992114929664?s=19

Darts players have been doing the wrestling/MMA/boxing walkouts for a while. Fans even have signs.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm watching this weeks retro Nitro and I'm wondering what was happening in the arena during that first hour. Did they just let people in an hour later than normal?
what does your heart tell you

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Incessant Excess posted:

They had them just sit there for an hour

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
:cripes:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Tony Schiavone is really into the Nitro girls in the latest retro Nitro:

https://streamable.com/u3ufu

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

People in the arena thought the president had died.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Where can I listen to Retro Nitro? It sounds great.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SalTheBard posted:

Where can I listen to Retro Nitro? It sounds great.

It's the Tuesday Bryan & Vinny show on F4W

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
If you want to join us into watching a zombie clumsily lurch forward, MRT hosts Tuesday Nitro every Wednesday

We're about a 18 months ahead of Bryan and Vinny

This week has a shocking duckbut that will turn the fortunes of the company around.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

If you want to join us into watching a zombie clumsily lurch forward, MRT hosts Tuesday Nitro every Wednesday

We're about a 18 months ahead of Bryan and Vinny

This week has a shocking duckbut that will turn the fortunes of the company around.

The duck was years ago, maybe even pre Turner buying JCP.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright. Hear me out here.
What if after WCW, we watch the TNA PPVs. (Yes again)
Except, they're streamed and MRT and Hulkmatt talk over them live MST3K style.

Because talking poo poo about TNA is MRT's core competency and he's great at it.
Well, that and playing Sonic 06.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 5, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

we've tried to run those PPVs in PSP-tv and the drop off in interest was insane. A room doing 20-30 people for the first PPV ended up at 7 for the 3rd.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That's because we didn't hear the dulcet tones of MRT and Hulkamatt making GBS threads on the product.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Watching whole PPVs sounds nightmarish even with MRT and Hulkamatt's commentary but I'd be up to edit a supercut of the first year of shows with the things people would want to hear about (Cheex, the Dupps, AJ with a chainsaw, Puppet, OH poo poo ITS VINCE RUSSO). If I could find the shows, that is.

I really love this project.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Let's watch all of Dan Severn's movies

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What if we watched the Stro in his 1 hour nwa title match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
People riffing on anything unscripted is usually really bad and I am not rewatching 100 TNA PPVs.

Some of which I'd be watching for the 4th time.

The post Nitro plans are way better.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't want Hulkamatt giving commentary on something he has actually seen.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hulkamatt knowing what he'd be talking about got him the plague. I hate to know what would happen if he knew what he was talking about AND watching.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright fine then. Just move to Twitch and make Hulkamatt play Sonic 06.
It's only fair.
(don't actually do this)
(no seriously. Watching somebody play Sonic 06 poorly has be a million times worse than somebody playing it well)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have become obsessed with podcasting, if anyone needs / wants a guest I would love to come on! I have a "studio" at my apartment and am flexible with time! I will talk about any promotion as I have been a fan since like 95 and outside of 2001 - 2005 I have followed everything!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bad news for anyone who only wants subjects Hulkamatt knows nothing about.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/971221934275997696

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did you reference the toxx bet that ended up with "Dixie on a pole" match?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SalTheBard posted:

I have become obsessed with podcasting, if anyone needs / wants a guest I would love to come on! I have a "studio" at my apartment and am flexible with time! I will talk about any promotion as I have been a fan since like 95 and outside of 2001 - 2005 I have followed everything!

Do you talk about basketball?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rick posted:

Nope

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That was an agonizing TMP to listen to.
Because I know Dixie is out there.
Still proud of herself.
Completely uncaring about how awful she is.
And it drives me nuts.

I don't want her to die.
I want her to live forever.
Live forever with nothing but the genuine realization of what a lovely failure of a human being she is.

She's on a very long list of people I wish that upon.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 7, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rick posted:

I'll talk about basketball.

But my knowledge is mostly from NBA Jam, so I hope you like me talking about people being on fire a lot

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

But my knowledge is mostly from NBA Jam, so I hope you like me talking about people being on fire a lot

I really like the Seattle Super Sonics, Kemp is really playing well

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh I also played some of Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden so I know also know about Chaos Dunks

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The B&V show from yesterday where they read the reader email from an old observer was funny. Fans say the same things all the time even when things are theoretically good.

Also Goldberg's latest run reframing Goldberg's past work as actually good, with Bryan going as far as saying he should be in the real Observer Hall of Fame is wonderful.

Endless Mike posted:

I can probably make that work in the offseason.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hoping we get an episode on TNA and New Japan and Okada....

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hoping we get an episode on TNA and New Japan and Okada....

At this rate we will be up to Okada by episode 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Monday Night Minor Skirmish (if you get that far) alone could probably be a half-dozen episodes minimum.