Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Leica, any word on st Pete tickets?

Not yet, they have been promised for months now so if it doesn't happen my wife is gonna be pissed and it won't end well for the guy that promised them. If he knows what's good for him he better deliver :v:

Either way we're going, I just wasn't anticipating to have to pay for tickets lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hello

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Wanna pet dat pupper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awwww pupper.

So the Queen Mary is friggin awesome. Only bummer is a private event closed off half a deck and since this is the off season the top decks are a bit dirty and under renovations. Still, the view is bonkers. We got a bigass room here and it rules.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Larrymer posted:

Man, red delicious apples are the poo poo tier of apples. I usually buy honeycrisp but they were out at the store.

Red delicious exist solely because they are tough enough to ship well and look good after.

They are terrible as a cooking or eating apple.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

spog posted:

Christ no.

The fact that they've lost $24k (and counting) in two years should be a good indication that it's a bad investment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42909256

BigPaddy posted:

I have a one week share of an apartment on Cape Cod in September. It cost $7k to buy and I put it into the RCI system so I can trade it for points that I use to get accomodation pretty much all over the world. I usually trade my one week up to 2-3 weeks elsewhere in the US by taking last minute deals that pop up so that resorts can fill any empty rooms they have. This works since I don't have kids and it is just the wife and I, not so much if you need to be more organised. Right now it costs $400 a year in maintenance fees and about $90 a year for RCI so lets call it a round $500 a year which gets me 2-3 weeks in high end resorts per year. I still have to get flights and all that but it works out well as long as you are willing to take a risk and see what is available on short notice.

As for selling the thing I doubt we would be able to really since there always seems to be people just giving the share up and the resort then resells it. The other scam they run is they will try to "upgrade" you into a travellers club program or some other poo poo where instead of owning a share of a physical thing you just pay money into joining the club and annual fees. Of course this means they can now resell your share to someone else and then 12 months later pull the same thing with them over and over, which I called them out on and they haven't bothered me with it since.

TL;DR

Pros - if you are willing to put some effort in you can get awesome deals and have 2-3 weeks away a year in nice resorts for the cost of 2-3 nights in a hotel in most popular cities and you are not forced into going to the same place year after year,

Cons - the people who run these things are high pressure salesmen of the worst kind and will try to upsell you into their bullshit other products after getting you in with a timeshare and you need to tell them to feck off 4-5 times a year when they invite you to a owners meeting or some other BS where they promise they won't try to sell you anything and then will try to sell you something. You will never be able to sell the thing so it really is a long term thing that you need to commit to using otherwise you are funding people like me to go on holiday. Never buy a share on finance since they will get you a loan for 25% since they want to be certain everyone is approved of course and if you try to pay it off early they will be obstructive to the point of not wanting to take your money as they want the interest to keep going for the 5-10 years the loan is due to go.

If you can handle the poo poo from sales people and have the money to spend then it works otherwise run away as fast as you can.

everdave posted:

PLEASE MESSAGE ME AND DO NOT DO THIS, I OWN 5 WEEKS AT A TIMESHARE THAT I PAID BETWEEN $1-50 FOR. PLEASE MESSAGE ME. STOP. DO NOT BUY.

slidebite posted:

I literally don't know a single person literally that has not eventually regretted a time share "purchase."

Be especially wary of fees for "repairs and maintenance" on the contract - here is a local story where it was forecast to be $500/year and it's now many, many, MANY $thousands$. The timeshare "owners" went to court repeatedly and lost.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/timeshar...weeks-1.3776353

I think it's the ongoing fees and maintenance that will kill the deal as well as any other beach purchase. The houses we regularly rent smell like mold and are obviously deteriorating but we put up with it because hey, week at the beach.

For the most part we're just heartbroken about losing our annual rental that holds 25 years worth of memories. I'm desperate to make sure we continue them. Originally my math was like "we spend $3000 a year renting, if we do that for the next 30 years it's almost $100k". But given the idiotic maintenance fees of this time share, renting is a bargain.

In the end, if I strike it rich somehow I'll buy a beach house for us outright but until then, renting it is. Here, have a photo dump of amazing beach pictures from 2002-present which is how long I've owned a digital camera.

This is the cabin we've rented for 25 years, the A frame on the right. Yes it's literally sliding in to the sea.

The following pictures were taken from the same spot, just facing south instead of north.

My daughter here in 2003:

And here she is 2 months ago at age 15:

And here is one of the best shots she got, she's really developing an eye for photography:

Also I have tons of sunset pictures, but we had a full moon on New Year's Eve so for the first time in my life I stayed up all night to get a moonset:

I just want a place where we can continue these memories. I'll keep shopping. Probably need to just save for the next decade and start with a nice vacant lot.

Sorry if this comes off as first world problems, I know some of you guys are going through some serious poo poo.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 7, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slurry_curry posted:

I definitely used to have a pair of JNCO's that each leg was bigger than the waist. I think the most ridiculous ones were the knock off ones I had that were red velour.

:same:

Definitely not something to wear in public, but if raves somehow resurge outside of the club scene, it'd be nice to be prepared. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Definitely not something to wear in public, but if raves somehow resurge outside of the club scene, it'd be nice to be prepared. :v:

UK still does illegal raves. The amount happening in London alone has doubled in a year because of the obscene prices to keep clubs open and the fact developers keep building housing right next to venues that have been operating for years. Housing is sold, buyers complain of noise, club is eventually forced to piss money away on ineffectual sound proofing, buyers complain, club eventually closes. So illegal raves happen...

And I'm still legit annoyed that US kids use the term to describe legal, massively well-arranged, watered down EDM events.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm losing shop and 2 post lift access sometime after April. I also need to figure out where to put the loving Hilux because its storage spot is going byebye too. Things are moving a lot faster than I thought they would.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Never thought I'd say it, but I full-on regret leaving Kitchener.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sup puppy buddy :smugdog: :hf: :staredog:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fill flash my man, fill flash

:spergin:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Never thought I'd say it, but I full-on regret leaving Kitchener.

The place?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Kitchener is a city, the one I used to live in.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:same:

Sadly I didn't even have the excuse of too many drugs and going to raves. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade when I had those pants. I am sure I looked extra ridiculous(to the best or my knowledge there are no pictures of me wearing them) since I was maybe 5'4" and 90lbs soaking wet. I remember I also had a urban camo pair as well....

LloydDobler posted:

Oregon Coast stuff

seaside/cannon beach area? I love the area and try to make it down a couple times a year. Property is insanely expensive in tho, I would love to have a beach house down there but the company I work for would have to have a major IPO for me to be able to afford anything near the beach.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
How to replace hoses on your engine:

1) Order new hoses
2) Replace old hoses with new hoses, reusing existing 4 jubilee clips
3) Drop one jubilee clip in engine bay
4) Invert head in bay to look for lost clip
5) Knock socket spanner into engine bay
6) Lie under car on wet floor and poke around until you find dropped spanner
7) Walk to local shop to buy replacement jubilee clip
8) Walk to second shop that does keep them in stock. Buy value set
9) Replace all old clips with new, shiny clips and throw old clips in bin
10) Discover new clips all strip their threads when tightening to full torque
11) Cry
12) Go to shop on other side of town and buy proper clips
13) Replace all clips and tighten to torque specs

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
listen i hate to generalize, but why when going through a divorce do women just jump to they are going to take the kids away from you. ex threatening me all morning with this poo poo. how does it even make sense when she says "if you can't work more and make more to provide for us then i'm going to go to court and get full custody". gently caress off you bitch.

and how does her saying "are you even up yet" and "go back to bed" make any sense when I am asking how soccer practice went last night at 8:30 in the morning and it is hours later, LORD HELP ME

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

listen i hate to generalize, but why when going through a divorce do women just jump to they are going to take the kids away from you. ex threatening me all morning with this poo poo. how does it even make sense when she says "if you can't work more and make more to provide for us then i'm going to go to court and get full custody". gently caress off you bitch.

and how does her saying "are you even up yet" and "go back to bed" make any sense when I am asking how soccer practice went last night at 8:30 in the morning and it is hours later, LORD HELP ME

I’m going to go with “what are mental issues” and “what is the only leverage she has against you”, Alex.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
People in hosed emotional states try to gently caress other people's emotional states to level the playing field.

Totally unrelated, I'm thinking of doing a road trip this summer. Starting in Victoria, BC and going... somewhere. I just want to grab my NEXUS and passport, hit the highway and go.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

everdave posted:

TV and movies have convinced people that this is the way to 'win'.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I’m going to go with “what are mental issues” and “what is the only leverage she has against you”, Alex.

You are certainly correct. My buddy is divorced and we have discovered horrible, filthy things his ex has done (as far as I know mine hasn't). She doesn't even want the kids expects him to have them 80% of the time so she can go gently caress dudes in a hotel and if he ever says he needs a weekend to himself the first thing out of her mouth is "well why don't I just go back to court and get full custody since you don't want to see your kids".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dont contact her unless you absolutely have to for starters. Resist the urge to ask about soccer practice, if you really want to know about that ask your kids.

And if she contacts you, gently caress off, talk to my lawyer

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fuckkk tree branch just came down on my garage. It's pulling the power lines tight and punched a hole in the roof. The garage door track is bent so I can't even get in there.

Luckily as far as I can tell through the windows no damage to the car or bike.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Looks like your neighbor is gonna owe you some money

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Dont contact her unless you absolutely have to for starters. Resist the urge to ask about soccer practice, if you really want to know about that ask your kids.

And if she contacts you, gently caress off, talk to my lawyer

This a million times. Have all contact be in written form, if possible

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Looks like your neighbor is gonna owe you some money

He's already calling his insurance company. I had called mine without even thinking about the fact that the tree is on his property. So at least it shouldn't cost me a deductible.

Just gonna be a pain in the rear end getting anyone out here with all the damage from the past couple storms.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Peterson Museum was awwwwwwwesome. Only bad part was our tour had a fuckin know it all who kept trying to correct the guide.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
If a trans is supposed to drain 3qt at a time, and your engine also holds 4.7qt of oil...but your trans empties more fluid than your crankcase that's a good thing right? :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Fuckkk tree branch just came down on my garage. It's pulling the power lines tight and punched a hole in the roof. The garage door track is bent so I can't even get in there.

Luckily as far as I can tell through the windows no damage to the car or bike.

They're probably slammed at the moment if you're in the area of the nor'easter, but when things clear your POCO should at least remove the limb from their line, if you call them. If you ask nicely when they're working, they may remove it completely from the roof (they may not because of liability issues).

It appears that the garage door track can be straightened, and assuming that one hole is the extent... Repairing that and a section of shingles isn't that expensive.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Fun fact: South Boston VA is a toilet.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I hope your at the speedway.
E: because I can’t think of any other reason to be there.

rdb fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 8, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Fun fact: South Boston VA is a toilet.

Like so much of the state.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I just recently spent some time in Virginia Beach and it was nice :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I just recently spent some time in Virginia Beach and it was nice :shrug:

I may be remember my time in WV. Pretty scenery but the people were horrible to deal with.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

gently caress you in particular, guy. RVA owns bones.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

rdb posted:

I hope your at the speedway.
E: because I can’t think of any other reason to be there.

Work. Theres apparently a power station that supplies power to ~something~ out here.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Fill flash my man, fill flash

:spergin:
Her back is to the camera, it's meant to be a silhouette. I do that shot a lot actually, I should mix it up a bit.

slurry_curry posted:

seaside/cannon beach area? I love the area and try to make it down a couple times a year. Property is insanely expensive in tho, I would love to have a beach house down there but the company I work for would have to have a major IPO for me to be able to afford anything near the beach.
Nah, north of lincoln city. But truth is, the whole coast is just gorgeous.

everdave posted:

I feel ya man. Divorce is terrible. I'm in year 14, kid's about to turn 16, and I still hate talking to the ex even more than ever. 2 more years.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
NoVA is a mixed bag but RVA owns. I've been to Virginia Beach but poo poo's flat and I did flat for about 30 years because Florida.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Wrar posted:

NoVA is a mixed bag but RVA owns.

There's a reason the Virginia weclcome center is in Fredericksburg.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Man I feel for you guys with lovely divorces and having to deal with your ex'es for years.

Fortunately my wife's ex-husband is pretty cool and we all get along, which is the best thing for my stepdaughter. She was just a baby when the split up happened and I snuck in there. I think he realized very quickly that I was not a threat to him as a father, and I actively tried to keep things smoothed over from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Her back is to the camera, it's meant to be a silhouette. I do that shot a lot actually, I should mix it up a bit.

Nah, north of lincoln city. But truth is, the whole coast is just gorgeous.

I feel ya man. Divorce is terrible. I'm in year 14, kid's about to turn 16, and I still hate talking to the ex even more than ever. 2 more years.

Thanks yo she sending happy pics of kids tonight (she is bipolar and on meds and drinks on them so yeah life is fun)

• Locked thread