Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

Every province with autonomy > 25% should be in an estate

Right, and then revoked once autonomy is down, to give newly conquered and highly autonomous provinces in their place.

Mind that it will piss the estate off, and the giving new provinces won't offset it so you end up with a net loyalty loss and possibly revolts

Too much of a PITA for me, but if you want to min max that's the way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Like most other things, micromanaging estates isn't worth the effort outside of the very early game. Give them newly annexed stuff, but fussing over optimal development and autonomy for a large empire is just tedious.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

New tedious features in EU IV? :chanpop:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeoh posted:

New tedious features in EU IV? :chanpop:

"we're proud to announce that the next DLC will add an extra toolbar and provide bonuses to [MAJOR POWER] who was already dominant!"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah, I'm now also firmly on the "the game needs a ground-up rework" train. Army professionalism was already stretching it. "Innovativeness" just sounds ridiculous.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mans posted:

"we're proud to announce that the next DLC will add an extra toolbar and provide bonuses to [MAJOR POWER] who was already dominant!"
Maybe France will get musketeers which is infantry with +5% for every era. :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

RabidWeasel posted:

Every province with autonomy > 25% should be in an estate

Won't that just lead the every estate having 80+ influence?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Wafflecopper posted:

Won't that just lead the every estate having 80+ influence?

Influence from province control is capped at 40%, so you can dump all of your provinces into one estate safely (usually clergy though it depends on your religion and government type). You can also frequently go over 80% influence as long as it's not for a period of more than a few years at a time.

My personal strategy with estates is basically; by default all new provinces go to clergy. Exceptions are provinces with trade power bonuses and provinces with high manpower which go to merchants and nobles respectively. Provinces with particularly high production value also go to merchants if appropriate (i.e. if it does not also have high tax or manpower, and is not excluded for some other reason). You need to manage nobles carefully to keep up with their minimum control requirement without going over 80% influence while also milking them for generals and diplomats, but clergy and merchant influence are rarely problematic, so you can usually safely choose the merchant / clergy influence boost option in events.

As provinces get to low autonomy you can start to pull them out of estates, because the UI is awful there's no way of knowing the 'real' autonomy of a province with an estate but I usually wait until a province has been capped at 25% for a few years. You might want to take some provinces away somewhat prematurely if you get hit with a random event and too much influence, or excess loyalty that you want to make use of.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

spectralent posted:

Yeah, I'm now also firmly on the "the game needs a ground-up rework" train. Army professionalism was already stretching it. "Innovativeness" just sounds ridiculous.

It's a dumb name for a mechanic, but I don't see "Innovativeness" changing much about how I play the game. It'll just be there in the background, occasionally granting me bonuses.

Drilling, on the other hand...

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think that with smaller nations, the potential to stack wipe/easily defeat a drilling unit (or be stack wiped) if you rush across their border as soon as you declare war is an interesting wrinkle to the whole drilling mechanic.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I hate the idea of drilling, since obviously armies would periodically drill without going into years-long drilling mode. I still haven't bought that DLC. Can you turn off that mechanic in the options?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I hate the idea of drilling, since obviously armies would periodically drill without going into years-long drilling mode. I still haven't bought that DLC. Can you turn off that mechanic in the options?

There's no real reason to disable it since the only time its ever remotely productive to drill is if you have more money than you can spend, a low force limit, and too much AE to fight anyone.

Being able to buy manpower for 250 mil points is nice though.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I think coal looks cool, but that's expansion only yeah?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coal and latent resources have got me thinking that it would be cool if you could spend money or monarch points to change a province's trade good. Obviously there would be restrictions, like you wouldn't be able to produce ivory in Germany, but you could change a grain province to a wine one for example. Or maybe there could be events that force you to change the trade good, like mines being depleted or animals being over-hunted.

It would also be a good way to simulate tulip mania.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Having the trigger have requirements like "total 20 dev min 10 bird mana" would be interesting. Give some point to developing aside from spawning institutions or as a dump when you hit 999.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Fister Roboto posted:

Coal and latent resources have got me thinking that it would be cool if you could spend money or monarch points to change a province's trade good. Obviously there would be restrictions, like you wouldn't be able to produce ivory in Germany, but you could change a grain province to a wine one for example. Or maybe there could be events that force you to change the trade good, like mines being depleted or animals being over-hunted.

They added a little of that in I think the newest expansion/patch, with the option to change the good in the Printing Press spawning province to paper and a few other related decision. Definitely a cool feature, and one that can be done without more points and meters.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it'd be nice if the AI gave some consideration that I just finished a war before calling me in into a war against France. Sure, by all means. My troops are all in Syria, my transports in the new world, this won't be an issue at all. Give me a warning you're gonna do that ffs

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Step 2: Burghers change their provinces' trade goods based on prices changing with supply (and demand?) of countries within trade range.

Step 3: Victoria 3. :getin:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Eldred posted:

They added a little of that in I think the newest expansion/patch, with the option to change the good in the Printing Press spawning province to paper and a few other related decision. Definitely a cool feature, and one that can be done without more points and meters.

Yeah there's a bunch of events that change the trade good to things like tea, paper and glassware, when it's historically appropriate. Banning slavery also changes all your slave provinces to random trade goods.

Coal is more useful for people modding other periods of history, as it lets you reflect the geopolitics of the discovery of oil in the Arabian peninsula, or the beginning of iron working in the early iron age.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Red Bones posted:

Yeah there's a bunch of events that change the trade good to things like tea, paper and glassware, when it's historically appropriate. Banning slavery also changes all your slave provinces to random trade goods.

Coal is more useful for people modding other periods of history, as it lets you reflect the geopolitics of the discovery of oil in the Arabian peninsula, or the beginning of iron working in the early iron age.

I really want to see the modding interface for this. Can I put in different conditions for different provinces? Can I mod in coal that is harder to discover by requiring higher dev/inovativenessessess in that province?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a custom horde of mermen that turn every trade good they own into fish

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Gort posted:

It's a dumb name for a mechanic, but I don't see "Innovativeness" changing much about how I play the game. It'll just be there in the background, occasionally granting me bonuses.

This is kind of exactly my problem with it. It's just a thing that ticks up, or down, for no reason, because new expansions need new bars.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Today's DD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-6th-of-march-2018.1075765/

Unit models chat :flaccid:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Making unique models for things like Cornwall and Northumberland seems like such a waste of artist time. :lol: I mean... I guess maybe they're mostly retextures of other models, maybe?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This is easily the least excited for a DLC I have ever been, :flaccid: is right. Even Third Rome was better than this.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I like the mission trees, but otherwise it's meh.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Good thing missions trees are a free patch feature.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Regardless of how excited I am for the DLC I'm still going to buy it.

I am part of the problem, sorry folks.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Looking at this DLC I don't see any reason whatsoever why I'd play EU4 again. Stellaris and HoI4 have way more exciting new content and are actually fun to play.

Call me when there's an EU4 DLC without new mana bar.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Huh, in my current horribly abusive Ottoman->Georgia->Byzantium run, it seems Muscovy forgot how to Russia. Independent Novgorod and Tver well into the 1500s, and a huge chunk of steppe broke off as independent Saratov. Also Lithuania imploded and relased Polotsk, Smolensk and Kiev. Wasn't paying enough attention to see how all this happened (it wasn't me, at least not directly) but it is clearly a sign from God that someone needs to step in and provide solid Orthodox leadership to this troubled region.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dev Clash talk: RIP Groogy, thought of aggressive expansion and died.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Bloody Pom posted:

Dev Clash talk: RIP Groogy, thought of aggressive expansion and died.

When you think about it, cancer is just one cell with an AE-100% modifier going full Ottomans before anyone notices...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

me before the dlc comes out: hmmm. kinda weak. "innovativeness". might pass. vote with your wallet folks

me the day the dlc comes out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6_vyGuhkfA

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groke posted:

Huh, in my current horribly abusive Ottoman->Georgia->Byzantium run, it seems Muscovy forgot how to Russia. Independent Novgorod and Tver well into the 1500s, and a huge chunk of steppe broke off as independent Saratov. Also Lithuania imploded and relased Polotsk, Smolensk and Kiev. Wasn't paying enough attention to see how all this happened (it wasn't me, at least not directly) but it is clearly a sign from God that someone needs to step in and provide solid Orthodox leadership to this troubled region.
Hu-w-hat?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

One of the only things stopping the Ottomans from forming Byzantium is the "Is not Ottoman Empire" requirement on the decision, so forming literally any other tag will let you swap to Byz. I think Romania used to be the easiest formable nearby but now with Georgia divided with a decision to form it that could be just as fast or faster.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the ottomans can't form byzantium so usually you do like romania or something first

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rushing Georgia probably also gives you a good shot at going Coptic for those sick nasty bonii

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

orthodox is the new hotness

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Why would you want to do it tough? BYZ has no coring cost reduction, making the idea set worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tahirovic posted:

Why would you want to do it tough? BYZ has no coring cost reduction, making the idea set worse.

Byz has good missions (though probably not quite as good as Ottos) and events, and you don't need to take their ideas.