Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I mean Bajor doesn't really represent one country, it represents tons of stuff, that's sort of the point, you can connect it to any real life political issue you want to write a story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

tactlessbastard posted:

Doesn't check out, the federation didn't move in and finish what the cardassians started

That's what the "root beer" speech was about ;)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arisT3U-SSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EuTevxL3rs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvBVvUC8LOE

these are still the best

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*extremely weyoun voice*

The waaar of federation aggression

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Unrelated but my fav frontier story was in Ken Burns' doc "The West" where they talked about the chinese gold miners in the area who were kept to themselves, didn't learn english, didn't try and become citizens but were just killin' it left and right with the gold mining....so the racist rear end white miners got the local govt to force them off their prime locations into extremely lovely ones....where the Chinese guys just worked harder and kept making mad money, so the govt forced a special tax on the Chinese miners....who worked even harder and were still making a ton of money, so much that their tax revenue made up half the state of California's income....so the other miners just gave up and started attacking their mining sites and killing them.

See also: Australia.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

guys i was jk about the civil war analogy and i always thought the poland one was the most accurate although i think some of the writers said they were also influenced by bosnia or something

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3v_Oytj-yg

Continued proof that Patrick Stewart is a treasure.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bajor loving sucks

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

look, THE SISKO...is of Bajor

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Johnny Aztec posted:

It did more harm than good because they treated the South as a conquered vassal state and bled it of any resources. The North didn't give two shits about anyone, white or black.
This continued on for decades, pulling money out of here, and not investing it back. That poo poo right there is largely to blame for how behind we are in several areas.

Fine then let me rephrase that. Have dukat become president after Lincoln and then burn the southern states to the ground and kill everyone.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I will never stop loving how Wesley Crusher failed the Starfleet Entrance Exam but loving Nog passed first time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

simplefish posted:

I will never stop loving how Wesley Crusher failed the Starfleet Entrance Exam but loving Nog passed first time

Hardly surprising, Wesley's a spoilt brat and Nog worked his lobes off.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nog got a perfect score on the personality part of the exam, Wesley kept getting zeros.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hardly surprising, Wesley's a spoilt brat and Nog worked his lobes off.

Yeah, Wesley had everything handed to him on a plate. His dad was an ex captain in starfleet who died in the line of duty, his mother was a senior officer on the Federation flagship, and he even had a recommendation from Captain Picard, one of the most famous captains in starfleet.

His life was easy mode, basically guaranteed to get into starfleet.

Nog on the other hand comes from a race viewed not entirely unfairly as greedy and cowardly that has never entered starfleet before. His only recommendation is from someone who, at the time, was just a commander of some backwater station (Sisko hadn't rose to prominence during the dominion war). His dad, while an engineering genius, was an uneducated sewage system repairman, and his uncle owned a bar.

Nog is positively a working class hero and Wesley is a spoilt rich kid brat.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Then of course Wesley full on rebels against his privelage and just runs off with a crazy dude promising to show him the galaxy by ascending. Then in the, let's not forget, canonical movies, he's just loving back like "lol hi guys, being am ascended being was cool for a bit but I'm back now. No one bother me about it please i don't like talking about it". As if it was a loving year backpacking around Asia.

Nog on the other hand get assigned to a loving warzone, gets one of his legs blown off, and suffers from crippling PTSD.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nog may have been let in precisely because it represented an inroad into further dominance of a race up-to-then uninterested in the federation.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

Nog may have been let in precisely because it represented an inroad into further dominance of a race up-to-then uninterested in the federation.

With most other races I'd agree but let's face it the Ferengi aren't exactly normally compatible with Federation values.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the federation is so smugly superior that they think everyone will come around to their way sooner or later

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nog outright says that if he was brought up in the Federation, Rom would be chief engineer on a starship, and might well have taken over from O'Brien if the Nagus hadn't made him the new Nagus solely because it'd be funny. (which, to be fair, it was) The Federation may well be outright brain draining from neighbours who don't want to join it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the federation is so smugly superior that they think everyone will come around to their way sooner or later

Liberal fully automated gay space communism tends to make those living in it seem insufferably smug to outsiders. I should know, I've met a lot of folks from the Nordic countries in my time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cardassia in the Federation would be hilarious

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

we should kick the poo poo out of the TVIV thread

GLORY TO THE EMPIRE!!!!!

:2bong:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

L'il Wesley giving the D.A.R.E talk in a series that's repeatedly talked about roving "Rape Gangs"

Yar really was Prototype Kira, wasn't she?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 7, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

simplefish posted:

L'il Wesley giving the D.A.R.E talk in a series that's repeatedly talked about roving "Rape Gangs"

Yar really was Prototype Kira, wasn't she?

No that would literally be Ensign Ro. (Kira exists because Ro's actress didn't want to be a series main in DS9)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I haven't got far enough to have met Ensign Ro yet, but I'll bear it in mind

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ensign Cardassian watches a Federation captain give the end of episode speech and furiously takes notes

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Ensign Cardassian watches a Federation captain give the end of episode speech and furiously takes notes

In the next episode he points out that the captains orders this episode completely fly in the face of their orders from the last one. Uses his notes to prove it. No one cares, and the captain upbraids him for questioning her orders. That's when he realizes, to his horror, that he is on Voyager.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sweet geek swag posted:

In the next episode he points out that the captains orders this episode completely fly in the face of their orders from the last one. Uses his notes to prove it. No one cares, and the captain upbraids him for questioning her orders. That's when he realizes, to his horror, that he is on Voyager.

He probably feels right at home.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

sweet geek swag posted:

I actually just watched a clip where Voyager is celebrating first contact day. I watched this after watching a clip where Archer, Tucker, and T'Pol discuss human ambition/nature.

Archer tells T'Pol to eat bread sticks using her fingers and T'Pol refuses and continues to struggle with a knife and fork. While Tucker extols the virtues of humanity and attributes their rapid successes to it, T'Pol says the jury is still out but that with enough discipline anything can be accomplished, and as she says that she neatly saws through a breadsstick, and eats the piece delicately on her fork. The point of the scene of course is to highlight cultural differences and lessons we can learn from each other.

On Voyagers First Contact Day Nelix peer pressures Tuvok into saying "Live long and prosper" in a way that's like forcing the one native American in the room at thanks giving to say Hi in Cherokee or something. Then Nelix says "let's dance!" and no one dances so he invites Tuvok. Tuvok insists vulcans don't dance, and when Janeway hears this she threatens to order him to dance.

Voyager truly is the worst time line.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 7, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitchner posted:

I actually just watched a clip where Voyager is celebrating first contact day. I watched this after watching a clip where Archer, Tucker, and T'Pol discuss human ambition/nature.

Archer tells T'Pol to eat bread sticks using her fingers and T'Pol refuses and continues to struggle with a knife and fork. While Tucker extols the virtues of humanity and attributes their rapid successes to it, T'Pol says the jury is still out but that with enough discipline anything can be accomplished, and as she says that she neatly saws through a breadsstick, and eats the piece delicately on her fork. The point of the scene of course is to highlight cultural differences and lessons we can learn from each other.

On Voyagers First Contact Day Nelix peer pressures Tuvok into saying "Live long and prosper" in a way that's like forcing the one native American in the room at thanks giving to say Hi in Cherokee or something. Then Nelix says "let's dance!" and no one dances so he invites Tuvok. Tuvok insists vulcanised don't dance, and when Janeway hears this she threatens to order him to dance.

Voyager truly is the worst time line.

Janeway's method of telling her closest friend happy birthday is to make him actively fear for his life by inferring she's found something truly damning in the ship's records that are gonna get him put in front of a firing squad.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
It is not logical to refuse nourishment because you don't like the utensils, goddammit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It is logical to confuse the humans and keep them guessing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

sweet geek swag posted:

oh so that's why Seska defected to the goddamn Kazon of all people

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
In the midst of a DS9/Dinner watch and just got to the Orb of the Emissary...

If I was as suave as the guy playing Damar I'd be mad they had me under all the Cardi makeup that whole time.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh so that's why Seska defected to the goddamn Kazon of all people

Not sure it was worth banging one of the many weird hair people, though.

Or "klingons, but lovely." Pick your favorite.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Not sure it was worth banging one of the many weird hair people, though.

Or "klingons, but lovely." Pick your favorite.

favorite scene with the kazons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZtXYnOCtjY

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Hyperdrive is really underrated.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In the first and second seasons, sure, but by the third season any iota of of personality that wasn’t surface deep and obvious had been ironed out in favor of a blank slate that had trouble with even the most basic of human social concepts.

For me at least, it seemed obvious that season 1+2 Data had emotions but couldn’t properly express them, where as season 3 onward he’s totally emotionless and requires a literal chip to express anything. That’s how Spiner portrayed him and that’s why Data is so boring in the back half of the show.

Goons like to repeat this until they forget it's not true. Just off the top of my head, The Most Toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Data seemed sinister AF in Farpoint and a whole series with that dude driving the ship would have ruled.