Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Turns out dropping bombs within a country and bombing the sovereign leaders of that country are very different things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/CatKillough/status/970730973297070080

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/970799972085108737

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 6, 2018

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/annafifield/status/970778425844625408

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

So his senile rear end can't even tell the Koreas apart anymore. This will all end well.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Chadderbox posted:

So his senile rear end can't even tell the Koreas apart anymore. This will all end well.

Trump will end up nuking S. Korea instead and it will be really horrible and really awkward.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Not as awkward as his follow-up announcement that the North Korean Overwatch tournament apparently bombed.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

We're actually getting outplayed here by North Korea and it's loving hilarious.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Paradoxish posted:

Quick! Send Pence to do frowny-faces across the DMZ again, that's sure to work!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Pence doesn't do frowns, he only has one facial expression: Constipated.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Paradoxish posted:

I guess that's what happens when you trash the state department and policy is whatever the stupid fat orange gently caress or one of his lackeys decides at that moment.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/970987684670865408?s=19

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/971006088509304832?s=19

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 6, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still don’t understand how anyone could convince NK or anyone else for that matter that America wouldn’t just knock over their regime on a whim one day, or even possibly by accident. It’s especially salient to me having lived in Hawaii for years. That’s just what America does, has always done, and will always do.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Considering the US first went to war with North Korea 68 years ago this year I don't think knocking over the NK regime on a whim is at all possible. If it was NK would be long gone.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
That's not true, you could definitely topple North Korea pretty easily. It's just that in doing so you'd destroy South Korea and a lot of Japan.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/971025582061424640

truly peace in our time.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Telephones posted:

That's not true, you could definitely topple North Korea pretty easily. It's just that in doing so you'd destroy South Korea and a lot of Japan.

"this will be easy" is a thing the US military has said like a million times before realizing that it is not actually easy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
- This is good news, generally
- NK won in that they did not promise to denuclearize, or denuclearize prior to starting talks
- Best case is that this goes the way of previous diplomatic efforts, where NK gets a bunch of aid and doesn't really give up much of consequence

North Korea doesn't want war, because they would get blown up. While those who think they would use nukes to forcefully reunify are wrong, IMO, in the long term they want the security guarantee of having nukes as a way to guarantee their own existence and as leverage to deter the US, which gives them space over time to gradually integrate more (unless they just collapse, if Kim just has a heart attack or something who knows what follows.) In that light, their diplomatic overtures are rational, but denuclearization isn't going to actually happen as long as the US can threaten them.

This is a good tweet thread:
https://twitter.com/AbeDenmark/status/971017047395192832

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 6, 2018

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"this will be easy" is a thing the US military has said like a million times before realizing that it is not actually easy.

The conventional part where two military forces try to blow eachother up has historically been pretty easy.

The counterinsurgency/nation building part afterward is the bit that's literally always a giant loving shitshow.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

hailthefish posted:

The conventional part where two military forces try to blow eachother up has historically been pretty easy.

The counterinsurgency/nation building part afterward is the bit that's literally always a giant loving shitshow.

Also, the US military doesn't get to decide to fight wars (or not), much less the goals and rules associated with it. You need to worry about a certain orange idiot thinking it will be easy, not the military.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
By "security guarantee" the North Koreans mean U.S. withdrawing troops from South Korea.

That doesn't mean the DPRK would then invade the ROK, but it would make reunification under terms more favorable to Pyongyang a lot easier.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/971148175590477827

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/KingstonAReif/status/971156290301984768

So yeah.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The U.S. will never pull out of South Korea even though ROK forces could handily beat the North in a conventional fight.

This is all a ploy to take advantage of this and make the US look bad, and we're not helping.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

This probably won't make you feel any better, but this isn't the first time Bolton has met Trump in the WH

So I can understand people being unnerved, but let's not let sensationalist tweets like these freak us out

https://twitter.com/NarangVipin/status/971172512909455360
https://twitter.com/ColinKahl/status/971173024916389888

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Both of them are slightly exaggerating for comic effect; they are joking on Twitter as a relief from their actual jobs, which is knowing about all of this stuff much more than I or you.

I know that Bolton has been there before, but the point is we know that Trump is unhinged right now, we know that Bolton is telling him exactly what he wants to hear, and at this particular moment the US needs to be supporting our ally in giving diplomacy a chance in the best opportunity in a long time, not shutting it down pre-emptively and continuing to move towards war.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

KaptainKrunk posted:

The U.S. will never pull out of South Korea even though ROK forces could handily beat the North in a conventional fight.

This is all a ploy to take advantage of this and make the US look bad, and we're not helping.
In all seriousness, is there anyone credible theorizing about what would happen if the US just pulled out of South Korea with all due haste?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The incidence of rapes would go down, I'm guessing.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/JChengWSJ/status/970864294949564417

quote:

SEOUL, South Korea — A rising political star and presidential hopeful stepped down as a provincial governor on Tuesday, becoming the most prominent South Korean accused of misdeeds by a growing #MeToo movement in this male-dominant society.

The politician, Ahn Hee-jung, governor of South Chungcheong Province, announced his resignation and retirement from public life in a Facebook post early Tuesday, hours after one of his secretaries, Kim Ji-eun, claimed in public that Mr. Ahn had raped her four times since last June.

Mr. Ahn called Ms. Kim into his office on the night of Feb. 25, looking uneasy, she said in an interview broadcast on the local cable channel JTBC on Monday. He apologetically said that while following the development of the #MeToo movement rocking South Korea, he realized that he must have hurt her, according to Ms. Kim.

“But he again did it that night,” she said, fighting back tears.

:wtf::wtf:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:eyepop:

Also my gf is going to one of the big film schools in Korea and a student from a few years ago who was making waves for being a really good director who happens to be lesbian got caught up in a scandal wherein she was alleged and found guilty of raping another female student from the film school. A professor was somehow involved in like a cover up and the school had a 6 hour sexual harassment seminar for the new students this year. Conveniently the professor who was involved stepped out of the room for that time period.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 7, 2018

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Saying that Ahn Hee-jung almost became president is kind of like saying John Edwards almost became president. It's a misleading sensationalist headline and I've been loathe to discuss #MeToo in South Korea because all the English language coverage, and quite a bit of the Korean language coverage, has been doing the same thing. The way everything's being couched in terms of #MeToo is especially misleading, since it implies that the whole idea came from the United States, discounting everything that's happened in the last decade domestically with regards to feminism.

Then there's the racist knives insinuating that the problem is especially bad in South Korea because of their inherently misogynist Asianness. There has been a lot of movement on #MeToo out here a lot faster than in the United States, if you trace it to the prosecutor's allegations (which was big news for Koreans) rather than Weinstein (which was not). The police are actively investigating cases. There have been public demonstrations. Moon Jae-in has unambiguously expressed support for the movement. And as per the article I don't have the slightest idea who Shin Hee-joo is and I literally watch all the Korean films that are released in this country. My guess is she's just someone who knows the person who wrote the article. I'd rather hear the opinion of someone like Lee Young, who's had a track record of fighting this stuff as it happens and got blacklisted for her trouble.

Oh wait, the article didn't mention the blacklist? Where Park Geun-hye's government literally attempted to ban filmmakers who expressed political viewpoints conservatives didn't like? What an odd oversight, considering how influential that had been over the film industry's culture over the last several years and how it ties into political corruption. And yet the writer did feel the need to talk about how Koreans are an inherently feudal and hierarchal race, unlike white people and their giant penises, who would never abuse power like that. Racist twat.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Gorilla Salad posted:

The incidence of rapes would go down, I'm guessing.

This is perfect. Sums up this thread be-au-ti-ful-ly.

In less gloating matters, the North agreeing to direct talks means we've hit the next phase in the cycle of saber rattling - > sanctions - > diplomacy - > a reset in aid and sanction while nothing happens beyond the extension of the regime. Don't expect any serious changes to result from this.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 7, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This time is different, now the Trump admin just alternates between saber-rattling, sanctions, and getting distracted before starting the saber-rattling again.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

Saying that Ahn Hee-jung almost became president is kind of like saying John Edwards almost became president. It's a misleading sensationalist headline and I've been loathe to discuss #MeToo in South Korea because all the English language coverage, and quite a bit of the Korean language coverage, has been doing the same thing. The way everything's being couched in terms of #MeToo is especially misleading, since it implies that the whole idea came from the United States, discounting everything that's happened in the last decade domestically with regards to feminism.

Then there's the racist knives insinuating that the problem is especially bad in South Korea because of their inherently misogynist Asianness. There has been a lot of movement on #MeToo out here a lot faster than in the United States, if you trace it to the prosecutor's allegations (which was big news for Koreans) rather than Weinstein (which was not). The police are actively investigating cases. There have been public demonstrations. Moon Jae-in has unambiguously expressed support for the movement. And as per the article I don't have the slightest idea who Shin Hee-joo is and I literally watch all the Korean films that are released in this country. My guess is she's just someone who knows the person who wrote the article. I'd rather hear the opinion of someone like Lee Young, who's had a track record of fighting this stuff as it happens and got blacklisted for her trouble.

Oh wait, the article didn't mention the blacklist? Where Park Geun-hye's government literally attempted to ban filmmakers who expressed political viewpoints conservatives didn't like? What an odd oversight, considering how influential that had been over the film industry's culture over the last several years and how it ties into political corruption. And yet the writer did feel the need to talk about how Koreans are an inherently feudal and hierarchal race, unlike white people and their giant penises, who would never abuse power like that. Racist twat.

Uhh dude, the author of the article is a Korean. I think you need to chill out a little bit, not everything is a racist conspiracy to defame Koreans.

You're right that the absolutely insane blacklist created by the PGH government (and a ton of people inside the civil service) hasn't gotten nearly enough coverage, but I don't think a mid length piece about a high profile sex scandal is the place to opine about it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

TsarZiedonis posted:

Uhh dude, the author of the article is a Korean. I think you need to chill out a little bit, not everything is a racist conspiracy to defame Koreans.

Koreans (well, South Koreans) tend to internalize a lot of racist beliefs about their country, especially if they've spent a lot of time abroad. It's not unique to Koreans- Japanese people will do the same thing for the same reasons.

But I agree about the chilling out bit. I get kind of rabid sometimes when I see those weasel words. In an isolated article it's nothing really noticeable, but they show up in drat near every article about Korean culture and I read enough of them it gets to be grating.

quote:

You're right that the absolutely insane blacklist created by the PGH government (and a ton of people inside the civil service) hasn't gotten nearly enough coverage, but I don't think a mid length piece about a high profile sex scandal is the place to opine about it.

And yet he did feel the need to talk to a random director whose only contribution to the piece was to insinuate that Moon Jae-in's #MeToo stance is insincere. Moon Jae-in's endorsement of #MeToo is probably why the victim came out, since before then her chief concern was likely that high-ranking part members would try to sweep the whole incident under the rug. The article has more discussion of generic Korean cultural stereotypes than it does description of the relevant political backdrop of the event. Probably because the main thing this author writes is North Korean articles but really, when the platform is the New York Times, I expect better.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well, don't, because the New York Times is garbage now.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

What makes the sinking so weird and nearly impossible to lay blame on is that it was torn apart, not by a torpedo impact, but by water movement caused by a torpedo. Or pretty much any large or explosive object that was in nearby water at the time. The prevailing counter-theory is that that the ship actually ran afoul of an underwater mine. Which strikes me, at least, as a lot more probable than the notion that North Korea sent out a secret submarine squad to blow up a South Korean ship for no reason in the middle of a military training exercise. For extra hilarity, the specific exercise they were conducting was anti-submarine maneuvers, so if the North Koreans did do it, evidently American/South Korean anti-submarine techniques are absolute poo poo in any actual plausible combat context.

Haven't caught up with the thread uet, but this from a few pages back caught my attention.
That's exactly how torpedoes work, the collapsing bubble breaks the back of the ship much more effectively than a direct hit would.

There's also very little you can do against a surprise submarine attack. The deterrent is basicly hunting it down after they've announced their presence. During a exercise you're expecting any sonar returns to be friendly subs playing hostiles. You're not going to fire torps at those either.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

A US ship involved in this is going to be attacked at some point. North Korea (probably) sunk an ROKN ship just for shits and giggles in the middle of a joint exercise with the US.

That was to prove Kim Jong Un was a badass. He was young and untested and that ship was sunk to prove to the military he had what it takes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

AlexanderCA posted:

Haven't caught up with the thread uet, but this from a few pages back caught my attention.
That's exactly how torpedoes work, the collapsing bubble breaks the back of the ship much more effectively than a direct hit would.

There's also very little you can do against a surprise submarine attack. The deterrent is basicly hunting it down after they've announced their presence. During a exercise you're expecting any sonar returns to be friendly subs playing hostiles. You're not going to fire torps at those either.

I did not know that. Thank you for the clarification. I remain skeptical as to North Korea's involvement in the Cheonan Ship for the other reasons listed. The lack of any evidence being made public is another sore point, although I'd rather talk more #MeToo than get into ancient history like this.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/03/251_245280.html

The NYT article really does undersell the sheer scale of the movement here- how it started outside of the entertainment industry and is sustained way beyond it. Are there daily update trackers for #MeToo allegations in the United States? Because I'm not even sure what's going on stateside anymore. The CineD thread is dead, save for the occasional spasms of bad posts about nothing.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/03/356_245267.html

And here's a pretty simple piece explaining how #MeToo is affecting local politics. Important subtleties missing from the NYT article include how these kinds of allegations were one of many issues being discussed at the candlelight rallies (which were a kind of open mic for a lot of different political issues), and a brief mention of how the opposition political party is reacting. Granted, "Hong has been in trouble many times for his misogynic remarks" is putting it a little lightly. But then people who actually follow South Korean news are well aware of Hong Joon-pyo's reputation. He's the guy who wrote a lighthearted anecdote in a book about helping a classmate get roofies and accused people of overreacting when it became spotlighted last election.

You'd think that's the kind of relevant context that would be appropriate for a major American newspaper delivering news to people who don't know much about internal South Korean politics. But hey, what do I know.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Some Guy TT posted:

You'd think that's the kind of relevant context that would be appropriate for a major American newspaper delivering news to people who don't know much about internal South Korean politics. But hey, what do I know.

uhh you realise that US (and often other) media is largely dumbing itself down and churning out articles that involve all the in-depth research of half an hour googling things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

Koreans (well, South Koreans) tend to internalize a lot of racist beliefs about their country, especially if they've spent a lot of time abroad. It's not unique to Koreans- Japanese people will do the same thing for the same reasons.

But I agree about the chilling out bit. I get kind of rabid sometimes when I see those weasel words. In an isolated article it's nothing really noticeable, but they show up in drat near every article about Korean culture and I read enough of them it gets to be grating.

And yet he did feel the need to talk to a random director whose only contribution to the piece was to insinuate that Moon Jae-in's #MeToo stance is insincere. Moon Jae-in's endorsement of #MeToo is probably why the victim came out, since before then her chief concern was likely that high-ranking part members would try to sweep the whole incident under the rug. The article has more discussion of generic Korean cultural stereotypes than it does description of the relevant political backdrop of the event. Probably because the main thing this author writes is North Korean articles but really, when the platform is the New York Times, I expect better.

Mainstream Anglo liberal coverage (NYT, Guardian) of Korea and Japan is basically the most concentrated racism you will see in mass media outlets in 2018 outside of like Drudge or Breitbart. It’s pretty much as bad as those outlet’s coverage of Muslims. It is sort of surreal, but that’s how it’s been for decades, you can go back and read stuff from 30 years ago and it’s exactly the same. It’s the converse of the eternal missionary-imperialist optimism on China that any minute now they’re all going to convert en masse to evangelical Christiantiy and become like us, because we are so plainly superior to the benighted feudal darkness they call an ethnic heritage. There’s almost like a palpable outrage at the idea that these countries could ever possibly be capable of progress or liberty without throwing that ethnic and cultural heritage in the dumpster where it belongs. It’s gross, man

There was literally a piece in the NYT like a year ago where the white dude journalist reporting for them was shocked at there being a jazz club in Tokyo, because jazz represents freedom and individualism and Asians, well, you see where this is going. I’d go to the effort to find it but wading through this stuff is just so exhausting

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 7, 2018