Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not a movie, but in Breaking Bad, Walter White talks about how chemistry is the study of change, and I think in another episode he talks about chiral molecules being the same atoms, but rearranged, both basically laying out his entire character arc for the series.

Is your list limited to school lectures?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Schools and universities, yeah.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I remember a scene like this explaining what urban legends are in the poo poo 90s horror film Urban Legend

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Seems like one of the scenes in Waking Life was in a lecture hall, and there was one in Boyhood as well.

edit: this is what I was thinking of https://vimeo.com/35992277

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

I remember a scene like this explaining what urban legends are in the poo poo 90s horror film Urban Legend

It happens constantly in thrillers and horror movies and I really should take note of every time I see one of those scenes. Know1ng has an extremely funny one.

Enos Cabell posted:

edit: this is what I was thinking of https://vimeo.com/35992277

There's something about the directness of it (and many Linklater films) that makes it really exhilarating; Waking Life is either really annoying and obvious or refreshing in its earnestness.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Speaking of Linklater, the ending of Everybody Wants Some!! is in a lecture hall

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Can anyone think of any movies where there are two (or more) parallel, mostly separate investigations looking into the same event?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There is at least one episode of House where he is giving a lecture to students and summing up the themes of the episode

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is at least one episode of House where he is giving a lecture to students and summing up the themes of the episode

There's at least like 30 episodes like that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Can anyone think of any movies where there are two (or more) parallel, mostly separate investigations looking into the same event?

Would Silence of the Lambs work?

Starling's investigation separates from the FBI's about midway through culminating with the doorbell scene.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

morestuff posted:

Collateral has Mark Ruffalo's investigation running parallel to the main plot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

morestuff posted:

Would scenes showing the main crew accidentally busting an undercover op that the audience doesn’t know about count? Cos that happens quite a few times. Point Break is always a fun example.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The scene in all the trailers for Wrinkle In Time.

"More like we Wrinkle it."

I also just watched The Freshman (the Matthew Broderick one) and they watch The Godfather in their film classes which leads to him getting antsy about being involved with the mob.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Would scenes showing the main crew accidentally busting an undercover op that the audience doesn’t know about count? Cos that happens quite a few times. Point Break is always a fun example.

I'm thinking more where there's two Philip Marlowe types working independently of each other on the same case. It seems like you could do some fun stuff with overlapping/conflicting info but it'd probably just get too confusing for an audience to actually follow

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm way late to the lecture scene discussion, but come on people, A Serious Man.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

There’s a lecture scene in Indiana Jones but idk if it gets across any theme other than “Harrison Ford is really dreamy”

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

There’s a lecture scene in Indiana Jones but idk if it gets across any theme other than “Harrison Ford is really dreamy”

That's because you were too preoccupied with how dreamy he was.

He was talking about how boring archaeology really was and how it was almost never exciting.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm way late to the lecture scene discussion, but come on people, A Serious Man.

Since the best answer's taken, I'll mention Amarcord's where kids giggling at funneling a giant tube of piss into the front of the class is a pretty dead-on mission statement.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

Since the best answer's taken, I'll mention Amarcord's where kids giggling at funneling a giant tube of piss into the front of the class is a pretty dead-on mission statement.

That scene freaks me out almost on the level of LOOK AT THE BLOOOD from Silence of the Lambs. If that happened in my high school it would be a hazmat area

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Add Pay It Forward to the lecture list, because Kevin Spacey (yeah...) plays a social studies teacher.

I have not seen Freedom Writers with Hillary Swank, but it might fit the bill.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

morestuff posted:

Se7en, briefly

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The lecture in Halloween talks about fate as a force of nature, which is Michael Myers in a nutshell. Nightmare on Elm Street has a scene like this too, regarding dreams in Hamlet.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

morestuff posted:

Zodiac and I guess the midsection of LA Confidential. There's a lot of detective noir where the PI runs into the police on the same case but they don't tend to follow the official investigation

edit: No Country For Old Men should count. Also M.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 27, 2018

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

morestuff posted:

sounds a bit like Infernal Affairs / The Departed except that's two overlapping investigations into related instances of the same kind of case (who's the opposing mole) rather than specifically the same case.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Origami Dali posted:

The lecture in Halloween talks about fate as a force of nature, which is Michael Myers in a nutshell. Nightmare on Elm Street has a scene like this too, regarding dreams in Hamlet.

The one in Halloween is very well done.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is a "homework" post, but I'm coming up with a list of movies that have lecture scenes in them, particularly films that literally have a professor or instructor spell out the theme of the movie. I've got like 15 or so off the top of my head and referring to an incomplete IMDB list but I'm curious if anyone knows any that aren't obvious?

I don't know if it has anything to do with the theme, but there's a brief maths lecture in Alain Robbe-Grillet's Eden and After. I think you could probably read something into it, with the way it's talking about the projection and creation of images, but maybe I'm just talking bullshit

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Origami Dali posted:

... a force of nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT68u_LYj18

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

I'm thinking more where there's two Philip Marlowe types working independently of each other on the same case. It seems like you could do some fun stuff with overlapping/conflicting info but it'd probably just get too confusing for an audience to actually follow

LA Confidenial has a bit of that, and Big Lebowski

I like the oldschool medical lectures in Bram Stoker's Dracula and From Hell

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Doesn't The Faculty have one?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

morestuff posted:

I think The Big Short is sort of like this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coaaab posted:

I think The Big Short is sort of like this.

I wouldn't have even thought of that but this is exactly right. A bunch of people independently (and in some cases accidentally) coming to the same conclusion.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

morestuff posted:

Prisoners kinda fits this mold.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

This is a "homework" post, but I'm coming up with a list of movies that have lecture scenes in them, particularly films that literally have a professor or instructor spell out the theme of the movie. I've got like 15 or so off the top of my head and referring to an incomplete IMDB list but I'm curious if anyone knows any that aren't obvious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p890hIa1w9k

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Legally Blonde! A lecturer adamantly states that passion has no place in law.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
also the scene in 2012 where woody harrelson explains why the world is ending

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In Homicide: The Movie, Pembleton is giving a college lecture about how morality as a construct cannot exist without formal religion when he's told that Giardello has been shot; throughout the series Bayliss gradually gave up his religious upbringing, and at the end of the movie he confesses to Pembleton that he executed a killer who walked on a technicality.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I wouldn't have even thought of that but this is exactly right. A bunch of people independently (and in some cases accidentally) coming to the same conclusion.

Yeah, that's a great pull.

Thanks everybody.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was sick yesterday and stayed home and watched No Country for Old Men for the first time in a few years.

This time I noticed the very obvious parallels drawn between Moss and Chigurh and the fact that they're different sides of the same coin, with Moss only dying in the end because he's "betrayed" by his mother-in-law.

Is it the conclusion of the writers (I know McCarthy wrote it, but I remember the novel had some slight difference in how Moss died) that Moss' weakness and the reason he fails to defeat Chigurh because of his connections to people?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why did they call the newest pirates movie salazar's revenge in other countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Groovelord Neato posted:

why did they call the newest pirates movie salazar's revenge in other countries?

No idea, but my guesses:
- "Dead men tell no tales" is a phrase not well known outside of English speaking countries (the same reasoning that turned Live Free or Die Hard into Die Hard 4.0).
- Fear that it would lead to future confusion/mix-ups with "Dead's Man Chest" (PotC #2).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 7, 2018